Blood to gold

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:43 pm

(325)

Try as he might, Solace never found the woman that Brocade was looking for. Their short walk into the woods near the man's cabin didn't turn up anything and the boy's own lone ventures proved fruitless. He didn't think little of Brocade, but rather of this mysterious woman. Who would up a leave someone they cared about without a word? No goodbye, no "go to hell." Nothing.

Well, Solace did just that to Julius, someone he considered a dear friend. But that was different, he reasoned, because Julius knew where he was and could come after him if he wanted. But from what he heard, this woman vanished like mist in the morning; it was without explanation. It didn't stop Solace from searching for her as he familiarized himself with Salsola, but it made his lack of findings unsurprising.

He never brought it up with Brocade. Like promised, the boy began to patrol with the scarred man along the river and woods. Brocade was a Guardian now, which deeply impressed Solace, and it gave the D'Angelo things to speak about other than his misadventures.

He also kept the man preoccupied with his incessant speech, surely, and even now Solace babbled like the river they walked along. They were patrolling the length of the Pictou and the morning was already starting to edge towards the early afternoon. It felt cooler to walk next to the running water and it only encouraged Solace to ramble.

"I think I'll wait a while 'til I train with a sword," he said decidedly, playing with the tip of his dagger between his finger-tips as he walked. It was a gift from his grandfather, and after that day he suddenly became more interested in employing smaller blades. "I want to build up my muscles first, and learn it properly after I get the fundamentals down. It'll be easier that way. Right?"

Solace glanced up at the Guardian, waiting for his approval.

shaking the wings of their terrible youths
Salsola
The Family
Shannah

FROM EDEN

POSTED: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:53 am

He had left Symre with a stern warning, and a silent exchange with Adelia. The cat had mewed and settled herself in the window sill, tucking her tiny feet beneath a thick pouf of chest hair. Symre had proven to be a useless partner in all things soldier-like (as she liked to call it) and instead busied herself with sketching and drawing on scraps of parchment that Brocade had collected for her. She didn't ask questions about the womanly scent that occasionally wafted from his bed, or the way he sometimes vacantly stared off into the wood... but each day he could feel his chest loosening, the strange sense of loss a tiny bit less.

She was gone and there was nothing to be done.

There were other newcomers that deserved his attention. Solace was a strong boy with a quick tongue – he was eager to learn and seemed intent to better himself in the eyes of The Kingdom. Brocade showed him as much as he could, leading him through the forests and explaining the edges of their border – and each time he saw the boy, he thought that he had grown.

They patrolled together now, and Brocade flicked a lazy ear towards the boy each time he spoke.

The Guardian nodded his head, ”Yes, a good plan.” The little dagger in the boys hands reminded him of the one that Dirge had given him all that time ago, and he couldn’t help the twitching smile that crept across his scarred lips. ”When I was a young boy my father gave me a dagger just like that, hoping that I would grow up to become a Mercenary.” The grin grew wider as he stamped the butt of his spear against the path they walked, ”He was right to give it to me.”

His tail wagged as they continued through the trees, ”Have you practiced with it?”

>:)

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite Salsola's Top Poster!
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 pm

(245)

Solace took in what Brocade told him, how his father had done the same as Solace's grandfather had. He doubted Loki wanted to steer him in any direction, the gift just one of many that was showered onto him, but it was one that the boy took the most liking to. Solace reflected his grin and seemed please to hear that it had done him well. If it was how the man started, then he would too would rise to the Shield Faction by following the same path.

That's what he thought, anyway, in all his youthful grandeur.

"I've practiced some," he said, looking back down at the dagger and rubbing his thumb over the runes etched into the hilt. "The Director is teaching me how to use it properly, but I try to practice on my own too." It would be too generous to say he was anything other than a novice, and Solace avoided mentioning his exact skill level. It was in the works; his reflexes were something innate and natural, but to hone them took time. Time that Solace had no patience for.

He took the hilt into the palm of his hand and darted forward, slashing at an invisible enemy. "Idrieus showed me that," he explained as he bounced back to Brocade, a quirky grin on his face. "She almost ruined my shirt with it, but it has its worth. I bet it could take down someone as big as you!"

shaking the wings of their terrible youths
Salsola
The Family
Shannah

FROM EDEN

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:38 am

The green-eyed D’Angelo was eager to learn. It was something that Brocade had noticed from the first moment that he had met the boy – and he found that even now as they walked, he was twisting and turning the blade in his hands to work with it, to test its weight. ”Good.” He said when the boy explained that he had been practicing, ”It is important to build the discipline while you are young.”

Brocade couldn’t help the sound in his throat at the boys next words, ”The Director helped you?” He scoffed quietly, ”I did not know that the position had been filled.” The scars on his lips twitched as he looked down at the young boy – but as he heard the womans name he nodded sagely. ”Idrieus is well trained. Devout.” He remembered their time scouting together and how she had told him her distrust for men during the Inferni war.

He watched as Solace darted forward, stabbing the dagger before him as if there was an invisible foe beginning his attack. Brocade assessed the placement of the boys feet and nodded his head, ”Its good work, she taught you well.” He couldn’t help the laugh that bubbled through his jaws, ”But you think that could take me down?” He resisted the urge to ruffle the boys hair - it was a feeling that washed over him suddenly and had his fingers twitching, "I think there are more moves that you should learn before attempting such a thing."

The path wound further still and the duo found themselves in an ambling clearing.

He grinned, "Did she teach you to throw a punch?"

>:)

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite Salsola's Top Poster!
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

Salsola