all of your glory

POSTED: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:50 pm

The little cat bounced against the horse’s shoulder, her head peering curiously from inside a leather saddle bag. Brocade wasn’t sure what had made Adelia ask to join him on this particular expedition, but every once in a while he could hear her mewling voice – ”Did you see that?” or ”Have you been this way before?” Each time the soldier did little more than grunt at her pale face, his expression stern as they crossed the Land Bridge. It was a stretch of land that he had never explored – though rumor had finally drawn him out and across.

He thought that maybe Etoile had traversed the same landbridge in an effort to get away from him.

The thought had him slowing the horse so that Tonnerres feet practically dragged. Adelia scoffed, tossing her little head. ”Brocade,” He made a growling sound in his throat as he peered off into the rolling sea and tragic clouds that gathered above them. ”Hm.” He murmured, kicking the horse so that he leaned into a canter. ”She wasn’t for you.” Adelia was raising a paw to wipe at her face, ”I know you know that.”

The little creature seemed so wise – but Brocade glanced down at her with loathing.

”How do you know that Adelia?” His heart ached as they rode on, the other side now within their sights, ”How do you know?”

Adelia was silent for a long time and there was nothing but the sound of Tonneres hooves against the sand, his rhythmic breath echoing around them.

”She would have stayed.” She finally said and Brocade couldn’t help the dry laugh that slid through his teeth.

They came to the other side and Brocade sighed, "I suppose you are right."

I would love for someone from CDM or CDC to join ! :)

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite Salsola's Top Poster!
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:20 pm

They were atop their respective mounts, each equine carrying them away from the lands their called home and into unpredictable territory. A mild gelding, Baldr pressed forward without complaint, though it seemed to the shieldmaiden that her steed had a mind to move more quickly than the pace that she had decided for him. Leaning forward, she offered his thick, ivory neck a reassuring pat before twisting her wheaten neck and looking behind her at the the rider that followed.

Merlin was, admittedly, a better horseman than even she, but the mare that carried him seemed much less eager for the trek. Perhaps it was his weight, perhaps it was the terrain, but whatever the reason, Thyri could scarcely let the opportunity to joke with her beau pass her by. "The sun will be dying by the time you join me." He wheaten tail flicked against the hide of her medicine hat gelding. "Should I have dinner waiting for you?" she grinned.

"Oh, you'll be cooking then?" he responded, his face stretched in mock surprise. "Well, if you're offering, I'd love a good clam chowder!"

Thyri offered him a humorless laugh back, waving a single pale hand in his direction as she returned her gaze forward. It was then that she noticed another rider in the distance, the silhouette pale against the horizon. She stiffened and fell silent, though Merlin carried on his playful banter, blissfully unaware of the approaching stranger.

"A decent venison stew would be acceptable too, if clams are too much trouble."

"Shh!" Thyri uffed without turning to look at her lover. Instead, she dipped her nose to gesture ahead of them and, after a moment of puzzlement, Merlin caught on.

The pair were silent the remainder of the distance. The thought had crossed her mind, once or twice, that perhaps it would be wise to avoid the lone ranger altogether, but she pressed on nonetheless. She was a seasoned warrior, after all, and her lover was a skilled archer. It would be foolish, she thought, for a single horseman to try anything rash.

"Greetings, rider," she called out as they neared, lifting a single arm to supplement her cry.

OOC: Why not Zoidberg two CdM (and ex-CdC) ehh? I'm not sure if Brocade was in the pack when Merlin was a slave, but if he was, this could get interesting? :O

[WC — 366]

don't leave this world to me
Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:11 am

Adelia made a sound that was akin to a scoff. ”I usually am.”

Brocade rumbled quietly and ignored the tiny cats chatter as they continued through the trees. Adelia was concerned that Symre wasn’t learning enough about Salsolsa culture – that The Outpost had exposed her to all the wrong things. Brocade had been to The Oupost only a handful of times but had felt that it was a serene place beneath the leadership of Blaire and her wife Reykja – and Hyacinth had been happy.

Adelia knew little else but the cut throat ranks of Salsola, and in moments like this it showed.

She straightened in the saddle bag at a woman’s call, and Brocade flared his nostrils curiously. They were a pretty pair; a golden woman who sat atop a patchy white horse and a tawny man atop a reddish mare. They appeared non-threatening and the soldier could see no obvious weapons peeking out from astride their steeds.

When the golden woman raised her hand in greeting Brocade did the same. His scarred hand flexed and he felt himself slide into Bastian. He called out to them in his Spanish accent, contorting his face into a smooth smile.

”Greetings,” He rumbled as they slowed their horses to face one another. The man from this distance seemed familiar, with scythe like markings on either side of his wolfish muzzle. He had red points and eyes that matched his own – warm and gold like the fields that marked the plains beneath the Halcyon. The woman matched this tone, but Brocade did not recognize her – though his eyes rested for a moment on the talisman that hung loosely about her neck.

Adelia peeled herself out of the saddle bag, padding along the wide horse to seat herself plainly on his wide rump. Her pale-green eyes were casual as she assessed the pair, and she curled her tail around her feet pensively. The horse snorted and she whet her lips, ”Bonjour,” She mewled.

Brocade shifted his weight atop his horse, "Good day for a ride." He canted his head, "I had no idea this bridge was here. It's amazing - things change when you're not looking."

Oooo! I have no idea but we can play with it if you'd like >:]

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
listen to the wild

POSTED: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Easing Baldr to a stop, Thyri assessed the stranger mildly. But when movement from a saddlebag revealed a snow-white cat, the scar-faced shieldmaiden couldn't resist the smile that tugged at her lips. Cats reminded Thyri of her mother, whose devotion to felines was fitting for someone who so adored the Norse goddess Freya (or had it been the other way around?). After her death, the Chambellan had begun to think of them with greater reverence and this one, with a pristine pelt of pearl, could have been Shiloh reincarnate.

If she believed in such concepts.

Idly, the wheaten Dawnbringer touched the mountain lion carving next to her Frithr pendant about her neck, and tore her gaze away from the cat. She nodded a silent agreement to his accurate assessment of the day, then looked past him in the direction of the newly-emerged landbridge. "It can't have appeared more than a couple of moons ago," she thought, glancing back at Merlin for confirmation.

Merlin took his eyes quickly from the rider, looking to Thyri as though he was trying to puzzle something out. "It wasn't there when Arthur and I saved you from those flowers," he said in his usual playful way, offsetting the Chambellan's thoughts.

Thyri pursed her lips at him in mock annoyance, though the corners of her lips still quirked upwards. She looked back at the lone horseman. "Anyway, I wouldn't trust a horse across it. The terrain is pretty uneven and rocky." Perhaps it was because of the cat, but he seemed like a decent individual and Thyri felt compelled to offer him a word of advice. "My name is Thyri Dawnbringer, and this is my companion, Merlin Knight. We come from the Court."

His own spring-green eyes back on the stranger, Merlin couldn't shake the feeling that he looked familiar in the worst sort of way and he just couldn't figure out why.

OOC: Looking back through Merlin's thread history, he was enslaved by SL at the end of August 2016 and given to Loki. I'm not sure exactly how long he was in Salsola proper before being shuffled to the Outpost, but I think it's possible that they would have at least seen one another in passing. I doubt that either of them would have had much (if any) interaction with one another, and, for plot purposes, I think I'd prefer to keep things relatively vague. c:

[WC — 328]

don't leave this world to me
Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:24 am

"Well met," Brocade greeted them, "I am Bastian and this is Adelia." Adelia was watching the pair keenly, the tip of her tail twitching from around her feet. Tonnerre did not mind the cat, so long as she did not stick him with her claws – which had happened only once as they had made an unplanned turn. Brocade nudged the horse closer and nodded his head as the golden woman spoke, ”I usually stay much further north than this.” He smiled and patted his horse, ”I let him take his time. There is no rush when all of this-“ He gestured with his hand, ”-is your view.”

The tawny pointed man spoke jovially – though Brocade felt himself grow curious at the way his brows furrowed. At mention of the flowers the feeling went away. ”You saw them too?’ He clicked his teeth, suddenly interested, ”I met a trader a few months ago who said that he had seen them – saved a woman and her horse from disappearing over the edge of a cliff. He scoffed, patting his leg, ”Like I said, I stay North – so I never saw them. I thought he was just pulling my leg, distracting me with stories so I didn't notice the state of his goods.”

He leaned forward in his saddle, ”But they were real?”

The spanish inflection in his voice rose with the question, and he glanced at Adelia as she crept from her place to settle in his lap where she could get a better view. He patted her head (a strange thing that he had never done before) and was surprised at the purr that crawled from her throat - though her eyes never left the two riders. Bastian was a friendly man with an open smile, and Brocade offered another one as he realized that the woman said that they were from a court. He sniffed, "A Court? What do you mean?"

Of course lovely! :) I love Thyri and Merlin together so much <3

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
listen to the wild

Seabreeze Brink