start small, grow tall

POSTED: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:39 pm

There was someone screeching in his doorway.

Neith spun from the study with his chair tipped and pages spilled behind him, expecting a bloodied mess to be dragged in to his clinic. Instead, there was a young girl of tawny browns and near-blondes grinning back at him, silencing her shouting upon his arrival.

“You’re Neith, yeah?” she asked.

“Yes, what happened? Who’s hurt?” Who she was would come later.

“My sister.” She rocked on her heels, nowhere at the level of urgency she should have been. Neith stared. “She needs help. Can you help?”

Quick-paced, the Apprentice retrieved his supplies in their satchel from the clinic and returned to her, pulling its strap over his shoulders. She’d wandered to the center of his kitchen by then, peering into his study.

Frazzled and short of patience, Neith said, “Show me the way, please.”

She did, and asked too many questions along the way. Who his family was. Whether he lived alone. If he was close with the Crone. What he was growing in his back garden, despite the fact that he hadn’t seen her wander there. Whether he knew of Hyacinthe (a cousin, if he collected the name correctly) or someone named Urho.

At the end of their path was Brocade and another young girl, the latter of the two evidently stuck in the mud. Fully intact, fully conscious, and struggling her way out of the slime in the daytime heat. She was instantaneously humiliated, her plight now garnering a growing audience.

Wailed the sister, “Why, Taika? Why did you go get him?”

And so replied the grinning messenger, “I wanted to meet him.”

The Heiwa breathed deep, willing his panicked heart to settle, coaxing the pounding in his temples to wash away. She was a child. These were children. He knew them about as well as he knew Brocade (that is to say, not at all), but he did know to practice patience, at least in the presence of another closer to his own age and rank. “You two need help getting her out?” he said, resigned, looking for a fallen branch of certain girth. “Hold on, I’ll find something.”

PP approved.

whose eyes you gonna use?

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:05 am

”You know Oncle,” Symre had started to lecture Brocade sometimes when they wandered the wood, her voice filled with the over-exuberance of youth, ”I think I know which path I will follow.” She was holding out her hands as she balanced her way along a thing log that bordered the path.

”You have?” Brocade glanced at her, ”There is no rush you know.”

”I know – but so many of the others have already found their places here.” She glanced at him, ”Seppo had his carpentry, Taika has her apprenticeship-“

”- her what?”

”Her apprenticeship.” Symre paused in her balancing to give her Uncle an indignant look, ”You know, when someone more experienced teaches-“ Brocade growled softly, ”I know what an apprenticeship is Symre. I offered one to you but you have no interest in The Shield.” She shrugged her shoulders and laughed softly. The Shield Faction was for strong brutes and woman who felt that they had something to prove.

Symre felt that she had a different calling.

Brocade twitched his ears as they continued down the path that lead away from the Ruins, their chatter filtering easily through the trees. Somewhere along the way Taika joined them and Brocade watched the pair of sisters laugh and gently shove each other - their expressions jovial and warm.

Brocade turned his for one second, a split second - to inspect a set of tracks that ran across the road - and was immediately alert as Symre's keening call reached him.

"Oncle Brocade!" She was struggling in thick mud that had her stuck up to her waist, "Taika left me! She pushed me!" She was thrashing about, sinking so that her fur was coated in thick tar-like patches.

Brocade hesitated, bit down all of the curse words that wanted to leave his lips - and instead growled softly, gritting his teeth. "Stop struggling. Stop." His expression narrowed, "And I doubt she pushed you.

Soon Taika returned with Neith in tow, and Brocade smiled softly at the Doctor. He knew very little about him, save for the fact that he lived in a small cabin in The Ruins with a clinic attached to it. Symre was whining, “Why, Taika? Why did you go get him?”

Brocade glared, "Because she's smart."

He bowed to the Doctor, "Greetings Apprentice, how do we get her out?"

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:43 pm

“We pull her out, I suppose,” said Neith, hunting through the brush for a branch wide enough to suffice.

Exasperated characteristically easily, the Heiwa kicked and pushed at the brambles until he found something passable, at which time Taika danced to his aid and carried the other end of the branch while grinning ear to ear. With some effort they extended the branch from the edge of the puddle (naturally, the stronger Brocade stepped in for Neith), but yanking and pulling was no loose. The mud had slicked and trapped her ankles fast, and did anything but release during the struggle.

Eager to get back to his studies, Neith ran a hand through his hair and sighed. “We could bring water to soften the mud, but I don’t have anything back at the clinic that could carry it. That’s all I can think of.”

“We could leave her ‘till it rains,” chortled Taika with the fast follow-up, ”I’m kidding! I’m kidding.”

Neith threw up his arms. “Guardian, do you know these two? Where did they come from? When did they get here?”

whose eyes you gonna use?

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Symre whined lamely as Taika danced around her, eagerly assisting The Guardian and the Apprentice as they moved branch after lonely branch until they secured one that would be strong enough to heave her from her entrapment.

”You will not leave me until it rains!” She struggled against the mud, and Brocade grunted at her.

”Stop moving Symre. You will only make it worse.”

He glanced at Neith, ”These are my nieces. Their parents are Hyacinth and Urho at the Outpost.”

”Our brothers are here too!” Chirruped Symre, drawing long dark muddy marks along her arms, ”Kjell is super strong, and Seppo – well, he looks just like me.”

Brocade rolled his eyes, ”You need to stop moving. He nudged Neither, "They are like parasites... once they latch on they never let go."

The soldier stepped in mud and it squelched between his toes. "How are we going to get her out?"

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

Dead Topics