you're a natural

POSTED: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 am

000 I am so sorry neef

Taika had come, after all - probably split off, and brought in by Symre, Seppo had suspected, and as always, his blonde, (physically) little sister was as energetic as ever. Full of beans, he had called it, the way she flitted and buzzed about with blatant and hardly controlled excitement equal parts overwhelming and infectious.

Perhaps he was also eager to be doing something actually useful, and he side-eyed the precarious and ever-growing pile of sticks he had amassed over a few days, like he had done for the Boss. He'd find use for them, one way or another.

The flighty dove that was his sister buzzed around him, and he half listened while trying to track her movements, the way her smile had beamed to him with an unrelenting brightness that he returned back. Shelves, and help, and something - something - something about doctors and apprenticeships. Got it. Yeah.

"Catch that, big guy?"

Mhmm!

He did not, entirely. But shelves were shelves, how hard could they be? His sister led him along by the arm towards the Clinic after he grabbed some borrowed tools.

"He said we could just come in, okay? We'll pop up those shelves, and it'll be good, and I'll get in good with the doctor." Seppo nodded a little, not entirely getting Taika's position, but supportive nonetheless, and he knocked on the door just to be sure. The tawny sibling intervened. "No, no no, it's okay, like I said, Neith said we can go in, so, hang on."

The handle did not budge when she tried it, and so she jammed a twig into a hole that must've been a lock. Nothing. "Uh, Seppo?"

On it! he answered and rolled his shoulders, pushing the tools into Taika's waiting hands while she stepped off to the side. With a determined set to his brow, and his bulk braced, the large son launched himself at the door with a thick and heavy thud. It creaked it's protest, and he gave a grunt, backing up, only to ram it again with his shoulder and the lock sprang open in a tiny shower of splinters. The siblings let loose a synchronized hiss, and he shuffled inside to examine the damage.

Mm. Oh. Yup, that'll have to be fixed, he muttered while Taika took their shelf-building tools over to a wall, only for him to abandon his diagnosis to join her, and get to work.

Last edited by Seppo Rask on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Despi
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:53 am

He returned from the visit with his sister already stressed by their mother’s intervention, for as the years turned over and distanced longer and longer from Lillith’s demise, Isabella had grown increasingly invasive in the lives of her children. She meant well, he knew she did, but it did not excuse the fact that her presence had become unwelcome. He treasured his home, the safe place separate from the Heiwa villa that filled him with such dread, and he treasured the silence and peace that came with living alone.

The front door was flattened across the floor when he arrived.

He stood for a time outside it, listening in, considering his options. A burgular? An enemy of Salsola, or an enemy of his own? Had he any enemies? His rapier was inside, hardly needed during the short walk and visit to the family home. Or, could his guest be someone wounded and desperate for his stores within the clinic? At once, his temples began to pound, intensified by anxiety. He heard voices from within. Children’s voices.

At the right angle, he could see two in the kitchen just off the front doorway. Small shapes he didn’t recognize. He stepped closer, and identified the outline (and unmistakable shrill) of one wily Taika.

“What are you doing?” he burst from the open doorway, more frazzled and panicked than outright fuming. “What did you do to my door? Why are you in my house?”

“Neith!” exclaimed the Rask, a second or third or fourth (or something) cousin (not by blood, if that wasn’t obvious), and she spun to him sunny and animated. “My brother and me are building you some new shelves. I saw they were broken when I came the other day, so I thought, 'hey, I should build the doctor some shelves. That would be really cool.'”

He stared, voice small. “I... What?”

“Shelves! For shelving things. Jars and supplies and stuff. You live alone now, but if you ever had people here with you, you’d need more space for their things. Right?”

The Apprentice glanced past her, eyeing her so-called brother double her size and the dilapidated things the two had been putting together. He breathed in deep, held it, and released the breath long. Upon collecting himself, Neith said, “Both of you... Out. Please. I need to fix the door.”

“Oh, we can fix that—”

“Out.”

The cabinets on the wall behind them creaked, shifted, and gave way.

whose eyes you gonna use?

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:13 pm

000---

Seppo scratched an itch beneath his nose with his wrist, and went to hoist up a plank and hold it level, his features stern as he tried to think of how to best put up this thing - he hummed his thoughts aloud, mumbles and resounding 'hmmm's' while Taika smiled up at him, and he pointed at the things he had wanted her to fetch with one hand, the other bracing the plank against the wall.

That-- that little, uh, support, you're gonna hafta hand it to me- he started, though when he tried to put the wooden-wedge beneath the shelf, it didn't quite... Work, as he had anticipated. This may have been tougher than initially anticipated. The project moved onto the floor, and their supplies fanned out more and more, like a spanning puddle of their mess while Seppo haphazardly nailed the supports, instead, to the bottom of planks before trying to attach them to the wall in the same manner. Several old nails later, the first one was up - it wasn't pretty, but he supposed it functioned, in a way, and he dusted off his palms. Sure, there was a very subtle slant on the plane of that plank - but who's to say it wasn't just warped wood? He wouldn't question it.

A few shelves later, and an alarmed, pointed voice startled him, causing him to straighten up abruptly and bonk his head on the bottom of one of his masterpieces.

Ow! he started, quiet, and he squinted a little while he rubbed over his head and the doubtless lump that would grow there, when Seppo glimpsed back over his shoulder to the doctor while Taika happily explained their being here. Maybe she had mislead Seppo as to their welcome-ness after all. Neith dismissed the duo, looking tired (and distressed), and Seppo mumbled out quick little apologies, while Taika tried to save face. Something groaned on the wall behind him, before there was a clatter, a shelf tipping onto another, and the jostle upset the cabinets, which simply crumpled on Taika's round brother, knocking him flat on the floor with a hiss and a keening yelp of a sound. There was now a doubtless sharp pain in the back of his head, and he cringed, vision swimming.

Last edited by Seppo Rask on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Despi
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:23 am

The cabinet gave way, as one would expect for something built by children. Neith had ignored the brother’s bump on the head earlier, but could not ignore the whole damn thing collapsing off the wall atop him now. Taika squeaked at the sound and danced out of the way.

“Oh no, Seppo!” she exclaimed, a mirth in her voice as she tried not to laugh at the absurdity of the situation. With her twig-arms, she tried pulling some of the debris off of him to little avail. “You okay under there, Seps?”

Neith waved her impatiently out of the way and hoisted the cabinet (which dislodged into more disjointed wedges) to the center of the kitchen floor with what little upper body strength he boasted. Taika was waved away a second time for getting too close when the doctor knelt down beside Seppo and looked into his eyes.

Dazed, but conscious. He’d be fine, aside from a little blood or at worst, a nasty headache. “Seppo, was it? Neith. It hit you in the back of the head, yes? Where else? Can you sit up, please?”

As expected, the cabinet’s cornet had met the poor boy’s noggin. It’d leave a nasty bruise under the slight dribble of blood, but there was no emergency. Neith jolted, realizing Taika had snuck in too close beside him a third time, and glared until she made space. “Could you wet a rag and bring it here?”

“Okay.” She didn’t move. “Hey, so how would you feel about an apprentice?”

“A rag, please,” said Neith, raising his voice. She skittered away. He breathed to still himself, then tucked himself under the large Seppo’s arm and helped him to his feet. “Come, you can lie on the cot in the clinic until you feel well enough to leave. How is your head? Are you dizzy?”

whose eyes you gonna use?

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:34 pm

000---

This was fine.

The round boy was seeing stars, hissed soft as he went to touch over his head, a tiny split in his scalp when the doctor crowded his space, but he was tough - oh, he was tough; iron was never worked without a few burns, he reminded himself. Urho would've probably been proud that he wasn't crying.

At least, that's what he thought. At Neith's word, he pushed up on his palms, moved to sit upright a little more and let his limbs to sprawl limp while he screwed up his eyes, squinted one shut. The healer's patience was thin, yet he spoke with a nice and mellow sort of manner - sweet, almost. What a nice guy -

There was a soft and surprised sort of noise that came out of him - not of his own volition - as the man wedged beneath under e heavy arm and went to hoist the clumsy boy, who staggered up onto his feet and splayed arms for balance, equilibrium off-balanced. He let loose a strained, but good-natured little laugh.

'm alright-- I think? he started, vision still swimming a little. Think a lay down, that'd be good, yeah, floor's kind of moving under me. But it's alright, I've done worse, right Taika?

Despi
Luperci

Dead Topics