[M] And So The Gods Did Laugh

for Lugo

POSTED: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 am

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Rurik Ivanov
What do you do when your world comes falling down?
Set August 13th, midday. Rurik is in Optime, armed with his short sword and a bow. [000]

One month, almost to the day. That's how long it had been since his most recent night-terror induced hallucination. He had nearly killed Veri, his mate. He hadn't hurt her, but his claws had been ever so close to ripping out her throat. She had helped him calm down and come back to reality. Almost immediately after he had sought out Honrin, a packmate who had some really good shit. He let Rurik take some of his mushrooms and confront the memories-made-real that had been plaguing him. The russian had only ever done that once before, and he'd thought that that had been enough. The first time was after a similar incident in which he had attacked the leader of Casa di Cavalieri at the time, along with another pack member. Neither of them had been injured, but Rurik had been so appalled at his own actions the he had left the pack for it's own protection. In his travels he stumbled across a small group of self-proclaimed sages who helped him forget what had happened to him to make him this way; they taught him that alcohol and marijuana were great mechanism for forgetting.

They helped him forget about Camp Black.

At the time, he'd thought that had been enough, but his relapse with Veri proved that wrong. Now, he was beginning to wonder if he would need repeat sessions, like someone with some kind of illness, or if the spirit-trip he had gone on thanks to Honrin had finally rid him of his demons. He certainly felt better than he had in a long time. While he didn't feel the incessant need to drink as he had before, he still did out of habit, but he had decided that he would travel around 'Souls more than he had in a very long time. It had been years since he'd left the Casa borders, so he decided to go on an adventure.

He had heard of the landbridge that now spanned the body of water nearest Casa, making it significantly easier to get from one side to the other without the need to go near Salsola. He had found crossing it a bit difficult, but only because it was so rocky and uneven.

He made it to the otherside without incident and was now scouting through the Wanabaki...Wankabobby... Wa. Ba. Na. Ki. Who the hell would name something like that? Geeze" he muttered to himself, taking another pull from his flask. He'd never actually been to this area, despite how long he'd been a resident of 'Souls, so he had no idea what the area might hold. He knew of Mistfell Vale and Krokar, but aside from that he knew very little of the area.

He adjusted his short sword on his hip as he stepped over a log and continued to scout around. He spied a small bush with a few berries hanging from it's twiggy branches. "Huh, I wonder if Veri's been up here...she may be missing out on on potential herbs. She'd probably like it if I gathered a sample and brought it back." He thought, and began gathered a few of the berries and leaves into his small leather pouch.

You run and pray you aren't struck to the ground.

Credit:Template
Avi By Nat

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Rath
Luperci
Wreathed in Flame

POSTED: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:07 am

Only the moon could fill this hole in my heart.
Lugobi Featherpaw
The clouds breathe for me as the stars whisper...
| wc 535 |

He felt... tired. Such an unusual feeling for him, who had spent his youngest months increasing his cardio and speed. He'd never been particularly strong, but he had been one of the fastest among the tribes. Every wolf met their limit, however, and three months on the run, with little time to rest, bathe or eat, he was feeling the strain coming on, slowing him down. He couldn't remember the last time he'd eaten, and his ribs were beginning to show. He wasn't sure how much further he could run, or how much longer he could hide.

Tongue lulling out the side of his mouth as he heaved for air, he pushed forward as the sounds of his pursuers kept a steady pace far behind. He heard their breathing, as labored as his own in trying to keep up with him, and if he hadn't been so terrified of being returned to that awful, dreaded place known as Camp Black, he would have found their dedication quite remarkable. Not many wolves could keep up with him, even on four legs. But if he was caught, he wouldn't have a chance in escaping their brute force.

After escaping his imprisonment, he'd zig-zagged his way mostly east and north before cutting south sharply, avoiding others at all costs and keeping a low profile in the mountains whenever possible. He'd been traveling through Gaspesia, he would later learn, looking for a meal among the plentiful critters and deer. Unfortunately, his deep hunger would continue to be left unsatisfied when he stumbled upon the two large thugs looking for potential profit. They'd recognized him by the 'KB' brand in his left haunch, and Lugo had be been forced to flee into Mt. Oromocto, hoping to lose them in the thick underbrush and steep earth similar to what Lugo had spent his puphood learning to traverse with ease.

The ballsy idiots had the nerve to follow him, barely slowing them down. There was a higher bounty for returning escaped slaves, and that must have driven them harder to catch him.

He'd heard the gentle dance of waves as he neared the coastline, knowing he'd have to make some kind of decision soon on how to handle this situation. He couldn't keep running like this, digging his own grave with every step, it would kill him. But maybe that wouldn't be so bad. He'd take death over going back to that torturous nightmare.

How long would it take to drown? He'd never wanted to try before now. Was it painful? Was there a less painful way to die?

FWWOOMP!!

He'd closed his eyes, felt his paws leave the earth as his body rolled through the air and then hit the ground hard. Weakly, he stumbled to his feet as fast as he could and trembled from head to toe, teeth barred and ears folded against the back of his head as he readied to bolt away or fight to the death. He was not going back there.

Touch me, he screamed shrilly, And lose a hand!!

"Peace is for the dead".
Last edited by Lugobi Featherpaw on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lugobi Featherpaw
Unable to change a single page, with every turn we disengage
Please don’t ask me to come back
I think I’d like to stay
Loner
Wolf
Edissero
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Rurik Ivanov
[000]

THe sounds of ragged, labored, breathing and the rapid snapping of twigs made his ears twitch and his paw freeze in the air only inches from his fifth handful of berries. Several well practiced thoughts rolled through his mind, almost like a mantra; a game of if-then. "Game? No, wrong pacing. Luperci? Possible. Then, attacker? Also possible. Draw sword, defend." The thoughts came automatically and took less than a second to start and finish. Unfortunately, he hadn't heard the new commer early enough. By the time he assessed and had a paw on his sword, a skinny bolt of fur had already crashed into him and sent them both to the ground. And as most things go, when trouble strikes it comes in pairs: the wolf was on his pocket side and squished every berry he had gathered on impact, coating the inside of his bag with mushed juicy berry-bits.

He wasn't sent to the ground, but the impact made him stagger significantly. Anticipating a follow-up attack of some kind, the russian drew his short sword. He took a defensive stance as his possible-attacker made his exclamation of bodily harm if Rurik attacked. The clearly panicked tone made the older wolf pause and assess the lupus wolf across from him. He was thin, too thin, almost malnourished. He was breathing far too hard to have been planing an attack, he looked like he'd been running from something or after someone. The second option seemed less likely since the boy was in such an upset state: teeth bared, ears pinned, tail flagged. He was ready to defend himself if Rurik moved forward, even if it looked like he could hardly hurt a fly.

Against his better judgment, since this could also be a diversionary tactic: send the weak one in to throw off their guard and then attack while they're distracted, Rurik lowered his sword. He didn't catch the scent of any other wolves nearby, at least not near enough to be an immediate threat. He raised a paw, palm up, in a placating gesture. "Spokoyno, Easy. I'm not going to hurt you. Where you headed to in such a hurry?" He let his paw drop and leaned against his sword like a cane. "Rurik, by the way. Rurik Ivanov."

Avi By Nat

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Rath
Luperci
Wreathed in Flame

POSTED: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Lugobi Featherpaw
| wc 225 |

Red eye, scar. Bow and blade, sharp. Yes, that sword was sharp and, though the tip lowered now, Lugo couldn't take his eyes off it. He started shaking his head, slowly at first, the words this stranger shared barely reaching him in his frantic state. Lugo backpedaled ever so slowly, a flood of syllables bursting from his mouth uncontrollably.

N-no, no, I don't believe you! I won't let you, they've lied to me before, th-they...

Every time he closed his eyes, he saw the metal barbed fences and concrete walls. He saw the tiny cells, cramped and stinking of too many bodies; felt the searing metal rod that branded his hide and left him wailing. Worst of all, he could feel the suffocating embrace of those who used and abused him as they pleased, day or night, splitting his insides and making him wish he'd been lucky enough to have been eaten like some of the others.

I'm not going back there, he whispered now, eyes far away as the threat of returning spiked his adrenaline again. His terrified eyes darted to Rurik's face for the first time and he barked out the words with every ounce of hatred and rage he could muster. I die on my terms! And I'll rip off your ear if you try to take me back to Camp Black!

"Peace is for the dead".
Last edited by Lugobi Featherpaw on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lugobi Featherpaw
I think I’d like to stay
Loner
Wolf
Edissero
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:09 pm

Rurik Ivanov
[000]

Panicked? Hysteric was a better word for the poor boy. It was like he wasn't even listening to what the older wolf was saying. It was like he was here, but some place else entirely, a feeling Rurik knew intimately. His heart went out to the boy. He clearly needed help, and while the alcoholic Russian wasn't the most qualified person to help someone in such a state, he knew others who were and he could take him to them. He started to ask what the boy's name was when he heard two little words that sent his own mind reeling.

Camp. Black.

No, it was too soon. His wounds were too fresh still. He could feel his would pulse quicken at the mere mention of that hellish place. If this pup was from there too, Rurik would die before he let those bastards take him back, but he needed more information. One sword gained to one you have gave you two swords, but the condition of the swords must be assessed; one plus one didn't always equal two. If this boy really was from Camp Black then Rurik was all to familiar with the methods that he would respond best to right now. Sharpness, firmness, not soft kindness. As much as he hated it, he took a breath and raised his voice to the cowering youth, while trying to keep control over himself as well.

"BOY! Calm yourself, now!" He spoke loudly, but not quite shouting, his voice still carrying well through the otherwise silent forest. "You said you won't go back to Camp Black. I agree. I would sooner die than go back there myself. Now, tell me your story and make it quick!" It was a gamble, but he wanted the kid to know that he had an ally, while still using methods that would be the freshest to him. He hoped the kid didn't bolt, but if he did, the old wolf could track him easily enough.

Avi By Nat

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Rath
Luperci
Wreathed in Flame

POSTED: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:14 am

Lugobi Featherpaw
| wc 163 |

Lugo flinched, head ducking, expecting a blow to the head, and felt his body lock up as he grit his teeth. His trembling persisted, but the words the older wolf spoke finally got through to him.

I would sooner die than go back there myself. That's definitely what he'd said.

It didn't take much convincing for Lugo to let his mouth move; a natural response to the same authoritative tone he spent months being conditioned to. The words spilled from him without abandon.

They took me from my home six months ago as a pup, but I escaped during a transport. I thought I'd outrun them, but the brand.... the two mercenaries on their way recognized me. They're not far, now... they'll be here any minute...

Lugo lifted his eyes more slowly this time to Rurik; his head and malnourished body still poised in a position of submission. His wavering voice, however, was filled with something else. My name is Lugo... I-I don't wanna die, Rurik...

"Peace is for the dead".
Lugobi Featherpaw
I think I’d like to stay
Loner
Wolf
Edissero
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:52 am

Rurik Ivanov
[000]

Several emotions washed over the russian male while he listened to Lugo's short tale. Hate. Fear. The need to protect. Irritation the he had to deal with this, but also a bit of thankfulness that someone else didn't find the kid first.

He let out a sigh and let his head hang for a moment. When he looked back at the boy his expression was softer, and when he spoke his tone was gentler. "You're not going to die Lugo. Provided that you do what I tell you." He needed to get the boy to safety, which meant getting him back to Casa. However, before he could do that he needed to get rid of the boy's pursuers. They were likely tracking him by scent and by trail, since it didn't seem like the boy knew much about disappearing. Scent would come first, since it was the strongest.

He took off his cloak, which smelled strongly of himself and Casa, along with various other scents that weren't Lugo related, and approached the frail boy. "Wear this for a while. I know it probably smells strange, but that's good. It doesn't smell like you, so it should throw them off your trail. Then, go take cover in that bush over there. It should help hide your scent more." He wanted to arm the kid, but since he'd chosen his four-legged form that would prove to be useless; his teeth and claws would have to do if it came to it.

Next was the kid's trail. Even a blind hunter would be able to see the clear tracks he made in the dirt and the line of disturbed underbrush and forest stuff. Rurik looked around them for a moment before making large obvious steps of his own, often doubling back or dragging a foot. To an observer it might look like he was drunk, which he would have preferred, but he was making it look like there may have been a struggle, before walking off in the opposite direction of Lugo's hiding spot. Along the way he touched a number of trees to further spread his scent around the area.

Once he far enough from Lugo that he didn't think the two wolves following him would find him, he doubled back a ways, being careful to step in the tracks that he had already made, and then climbed up a tree. If he was right, they would track Lugo to the scuffle spot, then spot his own tracks and follow them assuming he had taken their target. When they came to the sudden end of his tracks they would be confused, and that was when Rurik would take one with his bow, before jumping down to kill the other. For now however, it was a simple waiting game.

Last edited by Rurik Ivanov on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avi By Nat

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Rath
Luperci
Wreathed in Flame

POSTED: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Lugobi Featherpaw
| wc 623 |

That reeks. Lugo thought, attempting to quell the scrunching of his nose. Rurik's hoodie had a heavy, complicated combination of smells, some being the most potent he'd ever sensed. There were traces of salt water, other wolves and maple wood that sent his nostalgia reeling for home. The strongest scents, though, were those of herbs, berries, and something shockingly pungent. He had no idea what it could be, but he recognizing smelling it periodically throughout Camp Black and briefly wondered if he was doing the right thing.

Had Rurik really been a part of Camp Black? Lugo couldn't imagine why anyone would lie about it, unless to gain his trust. He could very well have been escaping one hell, only to be thrown into another.

Despite this, he did as Rurik instructed, falling to his belly and wiggling his way into a bush of lavender. After so long of being around those who had nothing but threatening aims, Lugo found it easier to tell the difference in others' intentions. Part of it was the eyes. And though everything in Lugo's gut screamed at him that this was a terrible idea, that no one should be trusted, something in Rurik's eyes felt different. The older wolf's hatred at the mention of Camp Black had been palpable, but the concern in those eyes had no doubt been a familiar and genuine emotion. And those eyes... one silver and one red. Had they done that to his left eye in Camp Black, scar and all?

Minutes went by as Lugo watched the other stumble around clumsily, and he almost forgot Rurik was attempting to hide his trail. When he focused more on what the other wolf was trying to accomplish, it became a little clearer. That was brilliant! Lugo, a little slack-jawed, watched as Rurik retraced his steps for the last time and slunk into a tree to wait. Lugo felt more than a little anxious, the adrenaline coursing through him causing him to squirm uncomfortably, itching to move and run. But he realized he felt something else...

Excited. From his position, he could see part of Rurik as he sat in the tree, bow at the ready, and his eyes seemed to gleam with an intensity Lugo couldn't quite place. He dug his toes into the ground impatiently, until the sound of jogging paws thudding rhythmically against the dirt finally reached his ears. He knew Rurik would sense them coming, too, just as they crested the tiny hill following his path. Both in their Optime forms, they wore simple leathers, thin and meant more to suggest armor than actually serve as such. One a grey wolf with a slouching back, shorter than the other who seemed a youthful mixed breed and fur with tones of brown and white.

If I was a little younger, The grey one muttered, obviously much older and out of breath, we'd have had this insolent mutt... exchanged already.

Insolent? The younger on the right mused, only the slightest bit winded, You expect the boy to just let us drag him back to camp, do you?

It'd be right kind of him, that's for sure. The grey grumbled, snarling halfheartedly as he finally stopped and pawed the opened air.What... what is this mess? What am I lookin' at, Lev?

The half-wolf, Lev, kneeled next to the grey and observed the ground with a disappointed grimace.His tone sounded curious. It's... hard to tell, it looks as though there was a struggle. The grey flailed.

Don't tell me someone got to him 'for we did.

Get your nose checked, old dog. His scent was replaced by another as soon as we crested the hill. It is possible, but...

Something just didn't add up.

"Peace is for the dead".
Lugobi Featherpaw
I think I’d like to stay
Loner
Wolf
Edissero
Luperci

Northern Tides