beyond a crescent moon

POSTED: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:47 am

Brocade was listening to the old man tell his story as they both drank mug after mug of golden ale.

”- and that’s when we caught’em.” The mans voice was a drunken slur, but his eyes were alight as he explained his gangs escapade. ”We were a part of the Chaos Rose. You’ve heard of’em, right?”

Brocade gave his muzzle a short shake as the man continued, ”What? We were only the meanest group o’mercs this land has ever seen!” The grizzled man hiccuped, ”… or maybe we were… pirates?”

The chuckle in Brocades chest was deep and rumbling, and he tipped his mug as more chatter rose to fill the rafters of the tavern. He forgot sometimes that Outsiders could be so different from his people. Salsolans were nuanced, multi-faceted and prepared for anything. All the wolf-dog worried about was where his next meal was going to come from, or when his purse of gold would run out.

Here there was no posturing, no political advances save for the occasional extra coin slid to the bar keep that ensured their mugs were never empty. The soldier came to the tavern anonymously, spinning stories for beautiful, bright-eyed women that gazed at him with keen interest.

Tonight there had only been Earl.

The old man teetered on his chair and Brocade barked suddenly, ”Whoa now Senor, be careful!”

When he was properly balanced Brocade settled again, propping a knee against the edge of the scratched wooden table. "Alright, tell me more about your story."

Earls eyes widened, "It ain't no story boy." He grinned with missing teeth, "It's a legend!"

Want to come listen to old war stories/join in with stories of your own? :)

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:50 am

--

Krios did not have a long range of duties to his name, most of them centering around home and patrolling around the borders. He may have been a warrior and a hunter, but there was never going to be excessive demand for his bow unless the times were getting leaner in the summer months. Even then, they were many and despite so many mouths, that meant more hands for the hunt. They were all well fed as a large pack would be.

So, slow day, he escaped from the confines of their thorny prison of home and ventured to the only place he really bothered to go outside of his scouting. Kamari likely knew where he disappeared off to now and again, but since he never came home smelling like a woman, she likely did not care what he did so long as their honor was preserved.

The smell on him was pine and mint, as usual. Those were the easiest to find and coat oneself in. It wafted about him as though he had taken a tumble in a pine wood, which suited him just fine.

Unfortunately, the bar was semi-empty, but it was expected for the time of year. As the winter came in, those without packs had to find a place where they could survive on their own or find a more permanent home, while the pack dwellers had enough leisure to venture around. Though, with the loss of several packs in the area, Krokar's burning and Sapient's disbanding, left fewer and fewer patrons.

But good ol' Brocade was there. Krios grinned at the sight of his uncle.

Striding with all the confidence Magnus had, the man strode up to the bar, slammed down a sizable white hare, and collected his own mug of golden ale from the proprietor. He quickly bee-lined for the duo, and sat himself down without hesitation.

Hello, you old sausage, of course I'd find you here, he said to his uncle, putting the drink to his lips.

Krios Revlis
Come touch me like I’m an ordinary man. Have a look in my eyes. Underneath my skin there is a violence

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Salsola
The Striker
Gen
Vedetto, Milite Mate to Kamari
Bloode Moste Potente
buy back the secrets

POSTED: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:28 pm

”Well y’see-“ Earl’s tongue slathered his lips as he began to raucously tell his tale. His bushy brows rose and fell like fuzzy caterpillars atop his greying face. There was a place where his tongue poked out of his mouth as a canine tooth was missing – and Brocade threw back his head and laughed as Earl explained that they had been Pirates – and they had ruled The Bay Area with iron fists.

Brocade had just been about to launch into a story of his own when he recognized the lyrical tone of his nephew.

”Who are you calling an old sausage?” Brocade felt a grin tug at his lips as he beckoned the boy over, smacking a nearby chair with the flat of his hand. ”Come, join us.”

Early blinked blearily, leaning on his crooked elbows so that he could see Krios as he came toward them. The boy’s hair was gathered up in its usual half pony-tail, his bright eyes gleaming with the sheen that came with drink. All of it was familiar to both silver men that sat at the table, and Brocade tipped his meg and drank deeply as Krios came to sit with them.

”This is Earl.” The grizzled man tipped his head, ”Hey there son.”

”I was just telling yer friend here about my time as a pirate.” He smacked his chops, ”You look like you have some stories t’tell.”

Brocade tapped his nail against the edge of the table, ”Really you think so?” He grinned, ”Magnus here has only recently vacated his mother’s house.” He pretended to wipe away a tear, ”They grow up so fast.”

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:25 pm

Krios laughed at his uncle's reaction, settling himself down beside the man without a qualm. Would you prefer rutabaga or potato instead? I thought I'd at least honor you with something better than a vegetable, he muttered loudly under his breath without any pretense of trying not to be heard.

He bobbed his head respectfully toward Earl. Like it as not, he was probably recognized from other frequent trips to the bar. His name may have been partially unknown, but it was a fake name anyway so Krios did not quite mind being merely known as someone who was potentially found in the bar now and again. What they thought of him, he had no clue. He certainly caused a scene or two a couple of times, but his trade was seemingly always accepted regardless.

Just as he was about to declare practically a cadre of stories to tell when Brocade happened to open his mouth with the dastardly truth. Krios scowled at his uncle, elbowing him rather sharply in the side with a decidedly bony joint.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a crime to enjoy good food until one could find a good woman who could offer the same. Not that Kamari was remotely that type of person, which the Director knew full well, but the whole point was to fudge the truth, smudge the lines, and make lies out of reality. He knew enough from Kamari and his youth to at least manage that sort of thing. Not like the same could be said about you. Or is there suddenly somebody in your bed, hmm? hummed the Striker, widening his eyes suggestively.

Krios Revlis
Come touch me like I’m an ordinary man. Have a look in my eyes. Underneath my skin there is a violence

Salsola
The Striker
Gen
Bloode Moste Potente
buy back the secrets

POSTED: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:37 am

Outside of Salsola the truth was something that could be woven so that it was difficult to find the lie that sometimes lay deep within. Brocade was no master of subterfuge – not in the way that Kamari was. The soldier was meant for combat with the sword and not the tongue. He told stories better than he sang songs – though he had been known to raise his voice to the occasional bawdy tune that filled the hall. Earl was sucking his teeth, nursing the bubbling brew between his calloused hands. He watched the pair of men greet one another with an amused expression – the scruff fur about his greying ears sticking out haphazardly as he grunted his laughter around a hiccup.

”No need to apologize m’boy,” Earls pale eyes winked, ”All any man wants is a belly full of good grub and a pretty gal to warm his bed.”

Brocade laughed, ignoring the bony elbow that Krios threw into his ribs. He couldn’t imagine the hard headed Emissary preparing much of anything for Krios. The couple were (from what he had seen anyways) largely independent, with the Revlis-son and Kaiser-daughter focused on different missions within the Shield Faction. They were a handsome couple – something that Brocade had mumbled to Krios’ wife at their wedding and though Brocade was not jealous of the woman on Krios’ arm he was jealous of their union.

Ever since the loss of Etoile it had become something that he contemplated often.

He knocked back another drink and chuckled as Earl’s drink caught in his thick whiskers.

”My bed?” Brocade smacked the table with a flat palm, ”I wish!”

Ears twitched at the bar and he ducked his head with a smirk. "I have alot of cats." Earl was laughing so hard that Brocade struggled to keep a straight face, "... It doesn't seem to be helping things."

Earl choked, "In that case I'm doomed." He patted Krios' arm, "Keep yours for as long as you can."

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:47 pm

Krios nodded along with the older, grizzlier man's words. Of course he got it, he clearly understood. Though it was hardly fair to compare his distant wife to an absent lover. Kamari was not his lover regardless of how much he would be pleased if it were to change. Kamari was his friend who shared his house and went on her day without thinking that his heart was bruised from the deception he plied upon her.

It would all likely break one day, undoubtedly, but it was a happy balancing act for that moment. He was content with the friendship being what it was, even if it hurt him day in and day out to wonder if he would ever share any sort of proper affection with his wife.

Not that he would tell Brocade that, let alone a stranger sitting with him at a tavern.

Get you a wife. It'll improve your life, but I'm not so sure you're a good judge of women, he added with a raised brow. He really knew nothing of Brocade's complicated love life. He only figured that it was complicated owing to the fact that there was still no woman living in his home, in his bed, siring his high-ranking offspring.

The cats made him laugh. He had a kitten from Brocade, his grandmother's queen visited often, and Kamari had a pair of her own that resided with them. Cats had merely increased the moment the two of them were joined.

I hope to. Not everyone can have a match like mine, he reassured the man proudly, but could feel the pang of a lie that hit too far from home, too close to the heart. He shook his hand at the older man. Enough chatter about women, talk to me about your stories. Give me your best one. He did not want to think about Kamari and their loveless marriage.

Krios Revlis

Salsola
The Striker
Gen
Bloode Moste Potente
buy back the secrets

POSTED: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:22 am

It was strange how the notion of having a family had consumed Brocade since the disappearance of Etoile. It was an urge that sat deep within him that had him wanting to ensure the strengthening of his bloodline and the far-rach of his name. In Ame Rouge the Valentines had been a small family known for their beautiful children – but outside of the village they were nothing. He had begun his life as an Outsider, but in Salsola he had managed to build himself something.

He had connections. Family.

It all meant so much to him.

Krios laughed, leaning onto the table with that smug expression of his that always had Brocade reciprocating. ”I will work on it – perhaps you can spot someone here?” He could hear women laughing on the other side of the bar, and he turned in his seat to inspect the one with the longest hair. It shone auburn in the candle light, but even from this distance he could see that she was missing teeth.

He made a face, ”Pass.”

Earl was tipping his drink again, his whiskers coated in bubbles of beery foam. ”Well boy, when I was young I robbed a caravan.” He hiccuped, ”We were told that it was coming back from a freeport loaded with all manner of riches. Spices, fabric – our source even said that there was supposed to be somethin’ shiny.” He jostled the table with his knee, ”Y’know what I mean.”

”We busted into the thing late at night while everyone was sleepin’ – but to our surprise the thing was filled with nothing but vegetables.”

Earl bristled all over and stamped his drink on the table, ”God damn ‘Tatoes.”

Brocade chuckled, scratching at the tuft of silver fur on his chin.

”I guess that’s what they mean when they speak about the fruits of your labor.”

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:02 pm

--

Krios turned somewhat to look at the women that Brocade, too, had turned to look at. His eyes first settled on a trim figure but with a decidedly masculine laugh. He grimaced as he shifted his attention to the long-haired girl, the color pretty, but when she turned her head just right, the sight of missing teeth made him cringe. Dental health was a great indication of health, and he was not terribly excited by the idea of a rotting mouth.

He visibly shuddered as Brocade mused the same thought out loud. Maybe for a quickie if you don't gotta look at her face, but.., he trailed off, scratching at his chin in a sort of compulsive itch. He would have to go home and chew mint for an hour to get rid of the thought of his own teeth turning brown in his head before he turned eight.

Earl spoke, though, and Krios raised his brows at him, a quick glance to Brocade. He knew the men of his mother's family worked as mercenaries and guards, and protecting a caravan seemed pretty likely. Did he know of the incident that the man mentioned?

But he chuckled as the man revealed the prize they won. Vegetables. Hey, man, that's a bounty out here, when there's a winter. Meat might be our lifeblood, but you gotta throw in a couple of potatoes to spice things up. He waggled his finger at the man. Disparaging potatoes was such a crime when they had such a limited quantity of them growing in his deceased mother's garden.

Mom always made the best potato cakes fried in rabbit fat. Did she ever make you any? he asked, feeling that creepy sadness, but forced it down by slapping a happy, silly grin on his face. Honestly, think about it, carrots? Sweetest damn things I ever tasted. Worth their weight in.. well, not gold. Maybe meat.

Krios Revlis

Salsola
The Striker
Gen
Bloode Moste Potente
buy back the secrets

Sticks and Stones