You are but a snowflake in a winter storm

- Eden

POSTED: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 pm

WC: 420

Although the winter was harsh, cold, inhospitable for someone with blood such as hers. She could not deny the beauty of the white blanket Winter lay on the land as if it were its child. Jaketta thought of Winter in a sad sense. The season lay a blanket over the land, maybe in a thoughtful attempt to keep it warm. But, its materials were cold and unforgivable. Maybe, the more snow the warmer the world will be, Winter thought, but only made the world colder in its attempts. The sun still tries to fight Winter off, attempting to melt her snow with warm beams, but Winter constantly wages war with storms and blizzards.

Jak created this story in her head as she trudged through the white blanket. She was on her way to Stone Ship to perform another ritual, as mid day boasted the most warmth in this harsh weather. As she walked, she began to feel sorry for the snow, for Winter, for Winter wanted nothing more than to keep the earth warm. She could not, not matter how hard she tried.

The blood and gold Jackal paused at a large mound of snow, the largest she'd seen this winter thus far. In her head a challenge of sorts had formed. She wanted to find the truth. Maybe, the cold blanket really did keep the earth beneath warm. Her feet would contest that theory, but maybe if the snow was really deep it would be different. This was her first winter since her childhood and such thoughts could not so easily be pushed away, no matter how hard common sense commanded.

A playful smile sprawled across Jaketta's slender features as she pulled her cloak tighter around herself. Then, she launched herself into the snow, disappearing into the mound of white substance. She felt the ground beneath her. What she didn't feel, was warmth. Panic started to take over her as she swam to reach the snowy mound's surface. It was indeed very cold and unforgiving. Winter would never be successful in making the earth warm, so that theory now belonged in the trash with her failed spells. Finally, Jak reached the top gasping for air after avoiding to inhale the cold substance. It was a relief when the snow no longer graced her head and muzzle, but the rest of her was slowly falling in temperature.

Ah! She shouted, before continuing to struggle to free herself from the large mound of Winter's attempted mercy.
Last edited by Jaketta Nocturne on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salsola
The Warden
Sami
Luperci Witch Nocturne Family: The Untamed Heart
Defiant Star

POSTED: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:04 pm

+400 words.

Eden didn't like staying inside, and couldn't help but grow more restless as the days dragged on. He understood the purpose of it, he really did, but there was so much more that he wanted to see. If his fathers were not going to let him outside, or at least be around to watch him when he was, then he would have to rely on his aunt. Trouble was... she wasn't always around, as much as he would have liked anyways. He knew there was the bitterness between her and Coaxoch... but why should any of that matter?

What had his aunt done to make him upset? Did it have something to do with the reason that he unintentionally made his father sad?

Puffing out his chest, he snuck over to his fur clothing, doing his best to slip into it. He knew that he would never be able to get the little booties on by himself, so he was just going to have to brave the snow without them. Surely his father wouldn't mind if he was out by himself so long as he stayed near the church or in the Blackwoods altogether. He couldn't be locked up in this place for the rest of his life. He was not bound to becoming a recluse.

He wanted to meet the others here in Salsola, whether the lighter father wanted him to or not.

Carefully pushing the door open, the pup was careful to close the door behind him before bounding off into the snow. With as much energy as he seemed to have, there was no way he was going to feel cold, not even on his feet. Smile covered his muzzle, jumping up and down along the white blanket. His head soon shot up as he heard someone calling in the distance. Eden gave one look at the church before following after the call. He could find his way back, he just wanted to see what was going on. When he came through the barren trees, he spotted the black head poking out of the snow. Head tilted curiously as she was trying to pull herself out of a snow mound. Why was she in the mound?

Padding up closer, the pup gave a bark at her so she could realize he was there, What are you doing there? Won't you get cold? He could see that she was having some trouble. He began trying to dig at the base of the mound, sure that he would fall in too if he tried to climb on top of it.

Salsola
Bambino
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:08 pm

WC: 355

The startling chill made it hard for her to move, but at the same time motivated her to keep pushing her way out of the large mound of snow. What a foolish idea. She'd been told the snow was cold and nothing other than that. Why she thought a story she'd created in her own mind might contest that fact, was unknown to her. Maybe, she thought a Goddess knew best. Maybe she thought from one Goddess to another, the snow might actually keep her warm.

A shrill bark caught her attention. Large jackal ears pressed forward and mismatched eyes caught sight of the pup darting towards her. She could think little about why a pup so small was running free through Salsola, more focused on being saved than anything. The pup came to stand before her questioning why she was buried in deep snow. I-I thought...never mind. I am v-very cold. The young canine then began to dig away the snow before her and she did the same from her side. Soon, the barrier collapsed completely and she was able to drag herself out of the snowy prison.

Thank you. Jaketta sat and brushed the snow off of her cloak. It was clinging furiously to her clothing, still making her core temperature drop. When she got most of it off, she directed her attention towards the young, dark, mottled pup. My savior! You are akin to a god! Jaketta praised, clueless to the identity of the small canine. Aren't you cold little one? Where are your parents? It's dangerous to be running around alone. You might end up like me, stuck in the snow and very cold. The dark witch held a bright smile on her face. She had a soft spot for the youth of Salsola, well, pups in general. Unlike the rest of the world, they were innocent and untouched by the cruelties of the world. She was once like that, they all were.

Jak noted the beauty of the boy's pelt and the brilliance of his sunny hues. Who's child was this?
Last edited by Jaketta Nocturne on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salsola
The Warden
Sami
Defiant Star

POSTED: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 pm

+400 words.

Eden wasn't sure what to think of the dark female at first. Even at two months of age, he knew that the snow was nothing but cold, which was why he at least put on the fur body clothing that his Papa had given to his aunt as a gift for the pups. That had been a bit confusing in of itself. Why not just give the clothing to the pups in the first place? Maybe it had something to do with the gift giving that his aunt mentioned for being around that time of the year. It may have been passing, but he still wanted to try and find something for his little family.

The pup's head shifted to the side a bit in confusion, the woman admitting that she was in fact cold. Well, he couldn't just leave her here when there was no one else around. Paws brushed against the cold snow as he continued to dig, feeling the chill as the water in the snow began to melt, seeping right into his toes and feet. What a great time this probably would have been for his little booties. Well... too late to think on it now.

As the mound began to collapse, he was quick to get out of the way, not wanted to get stuck under it like she had. Besides, he didn't want to make his Dad and Papa worry about him because a lot of snow fell on top of him... even if it had happened only when trying to help someone else get out of the snow.

Pink eyes went wide when the woman came closer to Eden, removing her wet clothing before offering him her thanks. He couldn't help but allow his face to beam with excitement at her praises. She even thought of him as a God? That was really cool!

Though, of course, the worry and questions began to shift onto him, seeing as he was out here all by himself. He danced about in the snow a bit, remembering the slight numbing feeling while he was digging, Well, my feet are really cold now, but you don't have to worry. Dad and Papa live that way. I haven't gone too far. The pup turned around the way he came, lifting a paw up in the direction of the church. He soon turned back around to her, Besides, even if I did get stuck, I could just yell really loud like you did. Someone would come and get me right?

Salsola
Bambino
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 am

WC: 507

Jaketta began to warm up a bit again, now that she was not buried in four feet of snow. Still, she wasn't by any means comfortable considering she had to remove her cloak which was pelted in snow. Her smile widened as she watched the little one react to her large praise of him. Pups could lighten anyone's day. They were so simple and easy to please, unlike the vast majority of their great kingdom.

Odd eyes looked into those of the smaller canine, who's orbs were pastel like flowers in the spring. How beautiful. She had just met him and was already mesmerized by him in every way. Jaketta couldn't help but let her mind day dream a bit, thinking of her future, where she'd found a mate and was gliding up through the ranks. Her eyes blinked slowly as she let her mind drift. She had someone in mind, now all she needed was her spell to work its magic. He would then fall in love with her and they would have a grand ceremony just as Kamari and Krio did. Maybe even lovelier.

When the pup's dancing came to a finish and his tiny voice spoke up in response to her questions, Jak floated back down from her pink clouds. The worry returned to her as her focus redirected back onto the lovely young pup. Her brow folded into itself and her smile turned into a frown. He complained that his paws were cold, but that his dad...and papa didn't live very far. Her eyes followed his tiny paw as he directed it towards the church. An unsettling feeling dropped in her gut like an anchor. There was only one person she could think of that lived in that direction and that was the one she had her eyes set on.

He had a child? Jaketta's breath grew staggered as she allowed her mind, once again, to shoot off a thousand what ifs. It was when the child turned back to her that she forced a pained smile on her face so he didn't get a whiff of her anger. Well, come here. Let me warm your paws. I'm sure you don't want to go home just yet. Jaketta laid out her cloak on the snow so the pup could rest his cold feet on it in hopes they warmed up. Her eyes flashed over him towards the church. This was not the news she wished to be delivered to her today. She would pay it little mind. He was anything but out of her reach.

Who are your Papa and Dada? Do you think I know them? I haven't seen you around little one, and with a face like yours I would remember. Jak was seething with anger, but there was little to indicate how she really felt. The child was not to blame. Although, she couldn't quite ignore the urge she had to place her anger upon him.
Last edited by Jaketta Nocturne on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salsola
The Warden
Sami
Defiant Star

POSTED: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm

+300 words.

Eden hadn't even thought about the prospects of what members in Salsola knew about himself and his sister, let alone the parent unit that was looking after the two of them. What did it matter? He was going to get to meet all of them one day, and he felt that the sooner the better. Being secluded away in the church was alright and everything, and while he had done his best to stay in sight of the church, he wanted to see so much more, meet more in Salsola. He wanted to be a part of this grand family that he had been born into.. one that it seemed like his Dad was doing to keep them away from.

Why?

The pup turned his head down to the cloak as it was laid out for him to stand on. He neared closer to it, giving it a sniff as he continued to bounce around in the cold. He reached one paw forward to touch the thing, pulling it back when he felt the cold touch from when it was cast aside. It had been in the mound and discarded from her person after all. Letting out a soft whine, he looked around for a post where he could sit and get his feet out of the snow, That thing is really wet and cold. Sorry.

Maybe it would be alright if he just kept doing what he was doing. At least with all the movement he was clearing a small circle in the snow around him.

Eden's head tilted a bit to the side at her questions. They were a bit weird, but not impossible to respond to. He gave a wag of his tail, I don't know what Dad's name is, but he looks a lot like my sister. I know that Papa's name is Sebastian. He paused, raising one paw up to his muzzle in thought, forgetting he had stopped where he was in the snow, I know that Dad is really light.. he's got a pink nose.. Umm.. Oh! Dad's got these weird things. He's very careful with them around us. They're see through but have a color to them? It's really weird.

Salsola
Bambino
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm

WC: 551

Jaketta could do nothing more but smile as she watched the pups antics. He tested the cloak to see if it was a suitable fit for his cold paws to rest on. It was rejected. The pup was naturally inquisitive and not so quick to trust her judgement on the subject. He would grow to be a fine Salsolan, already so careful. It's okay. I don't blame you. She responded with a slight giggle. The pup continued to bounce from one foot to the other making sure none of them got too cold. She knew it would be impossible with only seconds in between each step onto the cool snowy earth.

Here, how about I carry you for a few minutes, just until your paws get warmer? She suggested, kneeling so he could reach her if he decided to oblige. Jak was kind in nature, and even with her sneaking suspicion she couldn't let him suffer. It would be very un-Salsolan to let a Bambino suffer like this. If he accepted, Jak would lift him and stand to full height. There would be nowhere else he could stand seeing as everything was covered in fresh snow.

When the pup responded that he didn't know what his dad's name was, she felt foolish. Of course he wouldn't. To him, his dad was simply Dad. Still, the young canine did his best to describe him. Jaketta didn't know what the boy's sister looked like, or either of their names. The one thing that was given, was their 'Papa's' name. Sebastien. There was a twinge of anger in her chest that balled like a fist ready to fly into the face of another. She knew who Sebastien was and that was all she needed to confirm her suspicion. Her teeth clenched together as she retained her sweet smile. She would deal with this later. Right now, she would enjoy getting to know Coaxoch's apparent son. Someone she figured she should already know well.

Ah. I see. Jak offered simply as the boy continued to explain his Dad and further confirm her realization. She nodded and offered him the widening of her eyes as he explained. She couldn't help but laugh lightly as the boy tried to explain what she could guess were Coaxoch's potions. He's right to keep you away from those. I think I know your dad. He is a friend of mine. Jak looked past the boy and towards the church. She wondered if he was home, not that she wanted to see him at this point in time. Now, surely you know your name and your sister's name. I'd love to know them too. My name is Jaketta, but you can call me Jak if you want. Were you headed anywhere in particular? Maybe I can join you? She was eager to spend time with the child.

Now, her mind began to wander elsewhere. If Coaxoch was the father...then who was their mother? She felt sick to her stomach, but she did a good job of hiding it. Children were not as difficult to hide things from, despite how inquisitive this one seemed. Maybe she could find out a little more from the pup.
Salsola
The Warden
Sami
Defiant Star

POSTED: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:45 pm

+400 words.

Eden's curious mind always kept him on his toes. For as much as he liked to go outside, he didn't really like the cold feeling on his, especially not since he was purposefully digging in the snow to try and get someone out. He could understand maybe him or his sister trying something like that. They were still young and wouldn't know any better. This dark lady was an adult, so it was strange that she would do something like that, even if she did have some kind of protection on. Well a whole lot of good it was going to do either one of them now that it was soaking wet from all the snow.

The pup couldn't help but turn his head to her offer. In order to get rid of the cold from his paws, she offered to carry him until they got warmer. He couldn't help but feel a bit... strange. That seemed like something his mother or Aunt would do for him... but someone he didn't know? He understood that it would help, but it made him feel way too weird.

Taking a small step back from her offered arms, shaking his head, Thank you but... I'd rather stay on the ground... I don't know you... and you're not my mom... He didn't want her to feel upset, but how better was a pup supposed to explain just how strange this was to him?

Instead, he looked around. He had cleared away some snow before, and at least that seemed to help rather than keeping his paws in the cold. Ears pulled back, Maybe you can... clear a spot for me? I'd like that. It wasn't holding, but at least she could still help that way.

Eden waited patiently, his pink gaze continuing to stay focused on the woman as she spoke again. She said her name, but the nickname she said he could call her by was much easier to understand. His tail wagged excitedly behind him, My name is Eden and my sister's name is Evelyn, but we all like to call her 'Eve'. He gave a pause before shaking his head, I wasn't really doing anything. I just don't like staying inside all the time. I want to see my home, but Dad and Papa at least tell me to stay near home for now. I only strayed away when I heard you calling.

He turned his head back in the direction he had come from, I should probably head back home before Dad and Papa start to worry.

Salsola
Bambino
Salena
Luperci

Dead Topics