Fear Not The Task Ahead

POSTED: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm

OOC - This took me way too long to start for us whoops. WC: 620

there's no escaping it

Coaxoch had not known when their relationship had started, but there had been some whispers on the wind that his father had been spending an awful lot of time with the hermit that accompanied the Blackwoods as he and his small family had. Coaxoch figured that the other male had been keeping Till out of trouble, so he had not investigated the relationship too hard, seeing as it was very possible that Till could have non-sexual encounters with other males. Coaxoch had seen the way that his father looked at some males, but he knew that it was different for Till and Weaver, who would only come for tea and stew, and also for Lokr, who his father would only hunt with. Till was a social creature, Coaxoch had come to notice, so he did not think much about the relationship between his father and the hermit. If anything, Till had been lonely since the departure of Lokr and Weaver, so Till needed new friends, and Coaxoch was happy to see that Till was finally making friends again.

The summons was odd to say the least. He had assumed that the male had seen him with the ravens at some point, so when Skrak had come and told the Wendigo that the Pale Man had asked for his presence, he found it curious. He didn't know that the other male really even come from his home, much less would see Coaxoch with the ravens as he had. Maybe, he had seen and talked to Ixion at some point, or maybe the male was as creepy as Coaxoch had thought. Coax had tried to not think of the other as creepy, but from the times that he had seen the other, the male had seemed slightly creepy and also very flashy. Coaxoch knew this was probably why his father might have liked the male, because Till was predictable in the way that he would flock to those who had things that shone bright in the sun, and the ghostly male shined much brighter than those of modest riches and larger families.

The Ulrichson had called for Ixion to accompany him and also carry some fresh stew that he had made so that he could show up with something to offer to the other, even though it was a summons. Coaxoch wanted to be neighborly and friendly to the other, so he figured that he might as well offer some of the extra stew that he had from the day's hunt. It was Yuletide and Coax did know that if he was not friendly with his neighbors that the Gods might punish him for the year, and this was something that Coaxoch would not chance at all. He had already had enough bad luck this year and he did not want to give the Gods even more reason to punish him more than they already had.

He and his lynx had come to the humble abode and were met with the stench of felines with the smaller, less dominant smell of the male. Coaxoch wondered how the other could stand the smell of so many cats around his home, but he figured "to each his own" and he shrugged his shoulders. Ixion looked up at Coax with his bright blue eyes and snorted lightly. Even he thought there were too many felines in the area. "I wonder if he needs any pest control." Ixion commented in high speech, in which Coaxoch had chuckled lightly. "I doubt it." he retorted easily as he rapped his knuckles on the wooden door to the male's abode. "It's Coaxoch!" he announced himself, wondering still what this male could want from him.

there's no good nor evil here

Avvie by Hydra@Souls'RPG, signature image by Motth@FA
Salsola
The Confidant
Jmonster
Luperci
ARE YOU WITH ME?
This World Keeps Twisting

POSTED: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 pm

<3 355

The boy was naive, foolish even, to not understand the relationship his father and the skeletal male fostered between each other. It amused the hermit, sequestered deep within the grasp of the Blackwoods, in a space where only ghosts, demons, and the boldest of Salsolan's dared to tread.

He'd been wary as to whether the boy (for all younger than him in age were boys truly) was likely to arrive at his doorstep post summons. Ankh hadn't asked how Allspice had collared the raven Coax used, and frankly, he didn't want to know. In the end, it was easier to feign ignorance and act as if the cat had acted on its own initiative rather than listening to Ankh's instructions. 'Get this message to Coaxoch by any means necessary.' didn't give him much of a leg to stand on after all.

Soon enough Allspice came to his door well before the handicapped boy arrived, when his voice sounded out the Pale Man had only to croak, 'Enter.' as his permission. There was never anything such as too many cats, Ankh was sure. Granted he only paid rapt attention to the five or so that formed his inner circle and the others were more often than not in absolute danger of being used for divining by their ghostly master. They seemed to like it, he thought naively. They accepted it at the very least. Acceptance was all he needed after all. It was all he needed to work with.

The kittens gambolled happily beside the first, the half-brothers as tight as full brothers. Their father, the great, black tomcat, hid within the rafters at rest. Whether the boy cats knew he was their father was a mystery to the pale master, Allspice kept so many things secret from so many people. Ankh only assumed after all. They would make fine gifts, he'd decided. They'd been playing in the hollow and had been bold enough not to scatter with the older cats when the pale man had exited his den. And it was the giving season after all.
Salsola
The Warden
Vida
Luperci Lucky Little Leaf
pale man
danse macabre

POSTED: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:55 pm

OOC - ohigh WC: 530

there's no escaping it

The other male was odd, and Coaxoch felt unsettled as he stood there, waiting for the male to summon him within the abode. Coaxoch had not been particularly involved with the affairs of his father, so it was impossible for him to even know about Freyja, and that she had been sired by the Forgotten Gold-laden Prince that hid in the Blackwoods. Coaxoch saw as the cat entered first, and Coaxoch tilted his head only to be greeted with a voice saying "Enter", as if it had not spoken in ages, low and guttural. It was accented and this is what made him know that it was the Gold-laden Prince and no other.He could only wonder how and why the male seemed to have been forgotten in his family, why his riches were his own, but he also realized that this male was a hermit, he lived alone and on purpose. Coaxoch only wondered if Ankh had ever done anything worth anything in the pack. He wondered if, at some point, the male was ambitious and power-hungry as most of Salsola was.

Coaxoch only knew him as the forest dwelling hermit with too many cats and an affinity of wandering through the forest with blood soaked hands.

Coaxoch pushed the cloth door and peered around as his yes adjusted to the darkness of the home. The first thing he noticed was the kittens who were playing on the floor in front of them, and Coaxoch smiled lightly at them as he looked at them. "Awh." he spoke aloud, not really realizing that he had done so. He didn't cover his mouth when he did it but he suddenly looked up at the other male with bright eyes of spring. The others called him a child of spring for these reasons, he was sweet and he had eyes that were like looking into a spring day, while his siblings might have eyes of winter and autumn.

Ixion, the pale bobcat finally entered behind him and he, too, looked down at the kittens as he came to Coaxoch's side and turned his head towards the halter on his back that carried stew. Coaxoch smiled brightly at Ankh as Ixion presented himself. "I'm not sure why you brought me here, but I brought some of the boar stew I made for myself and my family, for dinner. I hope that you will have some, my Warden." Coaxoch spoke respectfully as he knelt down to start unstrapping the clay bowl from it's spot on Ixion's back. It was a slow process, because he only had his one arm, so he had to be very careful as to not drop and break the clay bowl.

"I'm sorry if this takes a moment, because well... you know..." he spoke, chuckling lightly as he nervously glanced up at Ankh and his intense gaze on him. Coaxoch wasn't accustomed to others asking for his presence and he did not know why the male asked him here, and this made him even more nervous about being in the presence of a man that he just did not know.

Salsola
The Confidant
Jmonster
Luperci
ARE YOU WITH ME?

POSTED: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 am

He got so much joy out of unsettling others. Especially since it took zero effort on his part. Ankh had long since resigned himself to the fact he was the Phantom of Salsola and since then he'd happily ran with it. If you can't beat them, join them, as the old saying went. Pumpkin eyes set into a skeletal face could see the cogs ticking in the mind of the Ulrichson, eyes the colour of fresh water let the Hermit see right through into the one-armed man's soul. He smirked like a crocodile as his guest cooed over the two kittens, already pleased with himself he could now see his choice of gift was perfect. A stark, bony eyebrow raised as the baby blues caught his own fiery orange ones. 'I'm glad you like them.' his accented voice rang out, it's echo dull against the natural building material in the root house, half submerged in the dirt. 'They're yours now. If you so wish them to be.' Coaxoch would always be free to refuse any offer put to him, though judging by his immediate affection towards the pair and the fact that refusal could be seen as insubordination unless he went about it the right way, he was sure the Ulrichson would accept.

'That's why I've brought you here.' the D'Aabt male revealed, gesturing to the brother cats with an errant, skeletal hand. Those same fiery eyes watched the bobcat with wariness, knowing full well that bigger carnivores preyed on smaller carnivores and him being unfamiliar with Coaxoch's pet he wasn't entirely sure how well the creature was trained. Ankh had never been one to trust others blindly and without reason, but he was confident enough after a moment or two to turn his gaze away from the pale wildcat, safe in the knowledge that his colony was separated from the situation by the front door. The hermit said nothing as his guest awkwardly fumbled with the clay bowl, he only sat and watched, patiently by all accounts.
Salsola
The Warden
Vida
pale man
danse macabre

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:06 am

OOC - ohigh WC: 623

there's no escaping it

He wasn't expecting it when the words came from the skeleton's maw. He was glad at first, that he liked the kittens, and then he offered them to Coaxoch. Coax looked back at the pumpkin-eyed scarecrow and cocked his head lightly. His ears pulled forward on his head and he turned his innocent baby blue eyes from the male to the two kittens once more. Once the attention had been brought to them, they both looked up at the unfamiliar canine and his companion and they were curious. Ixion murred to them in low-speech to tell them of what their owner had just done, and when they had gotten the clue, they moved closer to Coaxoch and Ixion, sniffing the air around them and staying out of reach. Coaxoch still was preoccupied, but he then smiled to Ankh once more as his eyes turned from the brother kittens back towards the ivory colored male.

"Are you sure? That is so generous of you, My Warden." he spoke to the other as the other had revealed that this was the whole reason he had been summoned. Coaxoch knew that it was Yuletide, but he was not expecting for Ankh of all luperci to give a crap enough to give him a gift. He wondered if it had to do with the fact that Coaxoch was the eldest of the Ulrich children, or only if it was a matter of convenience, since Coaxoch was a stone's throw away from the hermit as far as distance went. Coaxoch was curious as to what made the other think of him when it came to the kittens.

Coaxoch was grateful to say the least. He quickened his pace on pouring the bowl for Ankh, and once it was full, he took it and stood up, moved towards Ankh, and handed the bowl over. "It's not much, but it's the least I can do for your amazing gift of the two kittens. I promise I will care for them well. " he told Ankh as he wagged his tail and handed over the stew.

"Do they already have names? I'd hate to randomly change their names on them if they already know something." he told Ankh as he turned his head towards the kittens again as they had gone up to Ixion and sniffed at him. Coaxoch had silently wondered if they had ever seen a wildcat before or if Ixion was their first time. Coaxoch was honestly surprised that the two kittens were brace enough to go up to Ixion, for Coax had seen many a feline run away from the large wildcat, probably in fear that they might be eaten by the larger feline.

Coaxoch started to think of names as he turned to look at them, and he slowly made his way over to them, trying to not make them run away. They seemed more than distracted by the large cat, who had leaned down to sniff them, but did not move because of the precious cargo on his back. Coaxoch knew that these cats would never be as "useful" as Ixion was, but Coaxoch did like to have companions that were just for that. Ixion, Korosk, Nightmare, Skrak and Barkek were all animals that had jobs, but it was also nice to be able to care for something that could do jobs that required a bit more stealth, a bit less room taken. Coaxoch was excited at the possibilities of what he could train the kittens to do. Coaxoch reached his hand down to let the kittens smell it then, and they dashed away from him at first, but slowly turned around and sniffed the air once more.

Salsola
The Confidant
Jmonster
Luperci
ARE YOU WITH ME?

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:58 pm

Ankh did nothing but lay those bright pumpkin eyes on the boy as the Valentineson's pale blue orbs lingered questioningly, wondering if the three-legged boy had actually understood what Ankh had proposed to him. Further moments passed and eventually, Coaxoch seemed to catch on to the Warden's generous gift. It seemed the that boy's wildcat was quick to pass the message onto the young feline duo, who shuffled themselves closer to their new curators with little hesitance. When questioned, Ankh merely raised his hands and slowly wheeled away back towards his workspace, a silent indication that, yes, he was sure and no, he was not willing to argue it. He would have taken it as somewhat of a slight had the boy refused, but as time drew on he was sure and surer that the gift of the two feline brother's had been gladly accepted. Especially as pumpkin eyes witness the young creatures slinking off to join the side of their new "brother". They were not so afraid of large cats, Allspice was a large, formidable cat, almost the size of a wildcat himself. Ankh was not surprised in the end, he supposed that living in a feral colony bred bravery into cats as time grew on. It was simply one of the laws of nature. Survival of the fittest.

He glanced around in time to see Coaxoch place the bowl of stew down with his singular hand and arm, he nodded slightly, silent again, but openly accepting of the free meal. It would mean less hunting for him to do in the end and he was sure it would be much heartier than his own cooking would be. The boy still hadn't finished his questioning, but Ankh still turned his back and pottered around as his large, doggish ears twisted in order to hear the query. 'No.' The Pale Man said simply. Truthfully he had far too many feral cats, far too many hung around him like devotees to a strange, ferocious god. Too many to know individually and too many to know by name if he so decided to give them ones. Idly, Ankh wondered if Allspice ever bothered to name his offspring, he doubted it. The great black tomcat had always been witnessed to have an incredibly typical feline outlook on raising children. The Pale Man figured that Dill was most likely the only of the tomcat's children that Ankh knew in depth, and by extension, it was likely that he was the only child of the tomcat that the tomcat himself was familiar with too.

'I have many of them, you see...' The Pale Man began to explain, Coaxoch had most likely seen the tens and scores (hundreds perhaps, for Ankh never kept track of their numbers) of eyes looking at him from out of the darkness. A handful of Salsolans had already taken their pick from the colony, Helena most recently that he could remember in fact. 'Free for the taking.' Granted most of them were entirely feral and had never been treated as a companion creature in their entire lives. But they clung to the hollow, the sacred centre of their existence, taking whatever scraps the hermit threw to the grown for them. For as sacred as he was to them were they to him.
Salsola
The Warden
Vida
pale man
danse macabre

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:44 pm

There's so much more, you can reclaim your crown
Word Count → 541 :: OOC: bleepbloop

The other male was very much accepting of him taking the kittens as he pleased, and it had seemed that the other also had been very open to others taking from the colony in general.A simple "no" had been offered to him in reply to his question about their names, and Coaxoch nodded his head briefly as he thought about what he could name the two kittens, who had now started to find their way up to Coax, but still were ready to dash if he had made any sudden movements. They looked at their "god" and then back to Coaxoch, wondering why they had been chosen to give to this male, and why their god had chosen the Ulrichson for such a gift of their lives. Coaxoch was happy enough for the gift and he had taken a second bowl from Ixion's pouches and he had spooned a bit more stew in it and once it was full enough, he quickly placed it on the ground for the kittens.

The kittens dashed away in response, but the gray tabby kitten - the obviously braver of the two - was quick to see that it was an offering of friendship, and that it smelt delicious, so he easily went over and started to lap at the liquid and chew at the meat, while the tuxedo kitten sat back and looked at Coaxoch with round, skeptical, green eyes. Coaxoch smiled at the kitten once more. Go on, friend. It's safe to eat. he assured the kitten before he turned his head back to the skeleton and pumpkin colored male.

Coaxoch chuckled lightly as the kitten finally went up and joined it's brother in it's eating. Once they had gotten to the bowl and they started to eat, Coaxoch had gotten an idea of what he was going to call them. They were brothers, both boys, and Coaxoch had thought of the names Kyo and Havock. I think the gray one can be "Kyo", and I'll name the tuxedo one "Havock". What do you think? he asked as he looked back at Ankh as he pulled his fingers through his growing goatee, thinking about if there would be better names for them or not, and what Ankh might think about the names that he had picked for them.

Coaxoch was confident that his names would hold well for the two kittens, just off of first impressions, and he knew that they would soon become his close companions, for while they were likely to not be so small, they were domestic cats, and will likely not ever become as big as the lynx that he had been given when he was just a babe. They would need his protection from larger predators, and because of that, he knew that they would become easily friendly with him. Coaxoch wondered if the children and if Sebastien would like them, even though he knew that Sebastien had ducks, and Coaxoch would probably have to teach the cats that those ducks were off limits as far as hunting goes. He was sure that they would learn fast though, as they had a direct translator in Ixion, who also knew the rules around the house.

And Get Rid of the Monsters Inside Your Head.

Template by Kitty | Art by jasmae@FA

Salsola
The Confidant
Jmonster
Luperci
ARE YOU WITH ME?

Dead Topics