i turned you into a secret

POSTED: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:17 am

Symre perched next to the open fire with a cat curled between her legs, its velvety head perched against the crook of her dark knee. Tali had decided to come with her mistress to see what lay beyond the borders of Salsola, and though the shy Felix had stayed behind Symre had still bent to kiss him, nuzzle the little cat with the end of her broad muzzle. Tali’s dark tail flicked each time the fire snapped and popped – the knots of whorled wood crumbling as the flames burned on.

The cat yawned, its sharp teeth gleaming.

<”Is the storm over yet?”> Symre leaned forward to peer out the mouth of the cave in which they sat. She had stumbled upon the bright idea to abandon The Kingdom to explore what she liked to call the great beyond – though their travels had been cut short by the sudden snow storm that had blotted out the sky. Symre had taken her Uncles horse – the broad shouldered Tonnerre – as despite the soldiers promises he had yet to find her a horse.

She had laden him with saddlebags of all sizes – and they lay piles together against the fire to dry them from the snow. Tonnerre stood off to one side in the cave, his head low as he rested – his weight balanced upon three legs as he peered out into the gloom. It was a place pillowed in silence, for the large snowflakes fell in muffled sheets, the fire belching black smoke up to the caverns slowly darkening ceiling.

<”Non, not yet m’petite.”> The cat stretched so that its toes were forced apart, each digit wiggling before it curled back into a perfect ball. <”I thought travelling would be exciting.”> She murmured into Symres thick cloak, her lips twitching in a sleepy smile. The cloak she wore around her shoulders had once belonged to her mother. It was a thick thing, sewn to protect its wearer from the elements.

Symre hummed to herself and watched as the snow continued to fall, the world reduced to little more than a twitching swatch of white.

Come meet Symre!

᛫ ᚻᛖᛞᛄ ᛫ ᚹᛁᛏᚳ᛫
Salsola
The Tradesman
Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:34 pm

Jetta had resolved herself to the dedicated process of exploration: she, as a loner and estranged from her lover, had more independence and uncertain than at any other point in her life. And so she wandered through the neutral territories, seeking stories and a greater understanding of the land she had chosen to inhabit.

It wasn’t even that Jetta had been in the territory long but, by whatever gods existed, she was prepared to return sputtering and enraged to the midwestern regions if only to escape the godforsaken cold. She had been cold before. She had been through winters and snowstorms, even back in the Gila forest of her childhood: but those were different sorts of storms, high altitude and low humidity, where she was not so enraged by the cloying weight of moisture-leaden air and thick, wet snowflakes.

She was unaccustomed to the weather, the sharp turn it was capable of taking; the clouds which seemed heavy but unthreatening had released their burden, almost with a sigh. Rather than leave herself and her belongings out in the weather, Jetta made to find shelter but, in unfamiliar territory, this was quite the task.

It was well over an hour or two later of unforgivable terrain—she was just about ready to pitch a tent and tie her horse to a tree on the leeward side of a hill—when she caught the scent of smoke. After a moment of analysis, she decided that she could take her luck with a stranger, if it meant the opportunity to get out of the storm. ”I promise we’ll be out of this soon,” she said, consolingly, but the horse snorted and they continued to bumble through the heavy fall of snow, with Jetta leading him in her Optime form.

After what seemed to be an eternity, Jetta found herself at the outside of a cave. It was difficult to see in, and so she called loudly from the outside. She doubted she struck a very friendly figure, with her thick mountain-lion skin jacket covering her figure, the hood pulled over her ears so that the flattened, eyeless feline's head presented itself. To make it better, her fighting staff was slung over one shoulder. She hoped to earn points for the fact she was soaking wet and miserable.

”I don’t intend to intrude…” and then she trailed off, because that was exactly what she intended to do. ”.. But I was hoping that we could perhaps share a fire until the storm subsides? I can’t offer you much besides something to eat in exchange.” Although Jetta was stripped of everything of value, besides her gelding, weapons, and clothes, she had been a proficient hunter the last week or so and had a reserve of salted meat on hand.

syndicate
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:39 pm

As the fire burned low the shadows cast along the stone walls of the cavern seemed to tell a type of story. Symre stroked Tali’s head as the cat slept on, her maroon gaze narrowed with concentration as the shadows flickered a grew – billowing like smoke as the figures crept and danced, ebbed and flowed.

Symre watched it all with rapt attention before stoking the flames.

She was sure that it was trying to tell her something, but all she felt deep down was guilt. Burning down her Uncles home had been a terrible stain upon her craft, and even now she could feet deep down in the pit of her gut a voice which urged her to change.

The Rask-Dotter tossed another log into the fire and was forced to pause there – eyes unblinking as a figure materialized through the snow-fall. Tali awoke with an obstinate mewl as Symre adjusted herself, gathering her furs about herself to inspect the long-earred woman who now crept toward them. Jetta Salvias, as she would come to be known – was a beautiful woman with a proud head and tapered muzzle – green eyes gleaming from beneath the cowl of her dramatic hood.

The young girl clicked her teeth, silencing the cat with a raised hand as Tali curled her tail about her paws and sat primly upon the other side of the fire.

Symre tapped her chin and nodded, though it was apparent by the bristling about her shoulders and the way her gaze slid to the woman’s hands that she was prepared if something went south.

”You look like you need a break from the weather out there,” Symre chuffed, pulling her cloak tighter about her shoulders as Tali inspected their new comrade, the little dark cat all at once deeply curious and aloof. Tonnerre did not move, though offered a casual flick of his ears as the snow-dusted woman came to join them.

”Lets see some of that food." She clicked her teeth, leaning to rummage through a leather bag that lay drying near the coals. "I have some drink here, somewhere."

:D

᛫ ᚻᛖᛞᛄ ᛫ ᚹᛁᛏᚳ᛫
Salsola
The Tradesman
Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:56 pm

Frankly, Jetta was embarrassed to have gotten herself in a situation where it was better to rely on a stranger's hospitality than tough it by herself. She felt a stab of fierce regret. Why didn’t I just tough it out? Set up the tent, make a fire—and she forced herself to stop, because what kind of fire would start in this whether without considerable effort? More realistically, Jetta would have been forced to curl up in her Optime form (which was, ironically, her warmest) and bundle in whatever other belongings she had.

And so, despite her regret and annoyance at her own failure at independence, she nodded gratefully. ”I could.” Her earlier confidence was replaced by a bit of sheepishness, but Jetta soon brushed it aside. She entered the cave with her gelding in tow, and what had been a comfortable space for one immediately became much smaller. However, this did not make the space too tight; simply a little warmer, a little less spacious. The horse soon settled and although he was not pleased--the only available place for him was in front of the entrance of the cave— he turned broadside and dropped his head to doze despite the weather. He was better suited for the cold than she.

Jetta set about unsaddling the horse and removing his saddle-bags. She did so as quickly as possible, more for consciousness of the animal’s comfort than any desire to be comfortable herself. It was a simple process, and she put the bags out of the way. She removed the deer back-straps from one of them in the process along with a small and crude metal grill. Jetta did not speak for a moment, not to be rude, but to allow them to grow accustomed to one another in the silence. The ridgeback mutt had an adopted a very relaxed, unassuming aura. She had been in situations requiring tact before, and she wanted to give the other woman no reason to suspect any ill intentions. Therefore, Jetta left her fighting staff far out of reach and remained relaxed in posture.

”Do you mind?” Jetta gestured to the fire, having placed the meat beside it. She moved to remove a few choice coals from the makeshift fireplace with a nearby poking-stick, placing them into a dip on the cave floor. She was very intentional with her movements: she methodically propped the grill over hot coals. Jetta then unwrapped the meat from the deer skin and placed it atop the grill. Her body language was not outright submissive; but she moved very conscientiously of the other woman’s space, and did not resort to any immediate or sharp eye-contact.

It was only once the meat began to sizzle that Jetta truly relaxed, sitting across the fire from the stranger and removing the cougar-skin coat to set astride her saddle-bags. It left her in only a deer-skin shirt and pants, but her fur was beginning to dry. ”I appreciate your hospitality,” she began. ”I’m Jetta Salvias… I’m new to these lands, and I’m haven’t quite learned how to read the weather here.” As was evident from the fact she had just now stopped shivering from the cold. Jetta offered a rather sheepish smile and self-deprecating laugh. She then cocked her head at the cat which, despite herself, was very cute. Jetta did not yet comment on the creature, instead taking a moment to glance back outside—the storm had begun to worsen significantly, which gave her the impression they might be there for quite some time.

syndicate
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:26 am

She sat huddled next to the fire as Jetta Salvias joined her around the flames, and Symre inspected her quietly – taking note of the set of her horse and the gathering of saddle bags that lay hung over his flanks. They were the marks of a traveler and as the animal blocked out the snowy landscape that hung outside, she made a sound in her throat, extending her hands to wiggle her long fingers against the warming flames.

The staff reminded her of Brocades spear, and as the woman set it aside Symre hummed to herself – twitching her long ears as the woman finally joined her around the fire. The slant of her eyes was exotic, her fur cropped short from where the cloak drooped to expose smooth skin. It was mostly dark, though when the fire caught it just-so Symre could make out ripples of gold that reminded her of marble.

The pale green of her eyes was enchanting, and Symre twitched her tail against the stone beneath her as Jetta began to poked at the fire – selecting long flat coals to warm the food she pulled from one of her bags. It seemed the simplest thing; two strangers huddled over a fire while caught in a snow storm. Her Mother had explained to her the rules of the road, the rules that all Gypsies conformed to while meeting others who were on their own paths.

Jetta Salvias was a stranger – but at this fire Symre decided she could consider her Family.

A fellow traveler.

”You are welcome.” Symre hefted a flagon of wine in one hand and a water skin in the other, placing the items between them. ”My name is Symre Rask.”

The cave allowed for truth telling, and she barely twitched her ears as she leaned toward the woman and gestured to her cat.

”This is Tali.” The half-grown animal twitched her tail and offered a slow blink of her eyes – before curling her paws inward so that the warm could wash over her properly. Symre tipped a water skin and drank from it before offering it to Jetta – a move that was done to show that the drink was not poisoned.

Her brow rose, ”New? Where are you from?”

᛫ ᚻᛖᛞᛄ ᛫ ᚹᛁᛏᚳ᛫
Salsola
The Tradesman
Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 pm

WELL, DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT I'M GUILTY?
BROKEN LAW AND LORD I PAID A HEAVY PRICE
BUT I WANT TO ASK YOU MR. VIGILANTE,
WHAT IF THIS KID OF YOURS WENT HUNGRY EVERY NIGHT?

Jetta Salvias did not assess the other woman outright; she did so in peripheral glances, in brief eye-contact, in movement’s as light and natural as the flickering of the flames. What Jetta saw was a woman dominated by brown hues; captivating, but subtle, vermillion eyes that caught the light, reminiscent, then, of gemstones. Thickly braided hair and a build and face dominated by the features of a wolf, although there was hint, a tilt here or there, of something else that made Jetta curious of her lineage.

My name is Symre Rask. Jetta nodded in acknowledgement. ”Thank you,” and from her response, it was uncertain if she meant the divulgement of the woman’s name, or the offered beverages. Jetta took the water-skin once it was offered to her, also taking a drink, before placing it between them. She took careful note of the other woman’s hospitalities; Jetta was more appreciative than she could have said, to find such a kind stranger, so well versed in the polite customs that existed among some travellers.

”Hello, Tali,” Jetta said, warmly. She was quite fond of animals. Often, more so than people. But Symre, thus far, was pleasant company. She returned her attention to the other Luperci. ”I’m from the midwest—my family descended from what was once called Arizona, if you’ve ever heard of it. But I’ve been everywhere since then.” The truth tasted strangely to her, more strangely than a lie would have. When she had travelled with Stark, everything had always been a lie; their pasts, their names, their destinations. Jetta brushed the thought away as she turned the meat over carefully, listening to the sizzle of the juices as they began to drip occasionally into the flame.

”Where are you from?” Jetta had not been present in the territories for long enough to distinguish scents that might have come easily to another; Symre did not smell of a pack to her, merely another traveller, although noticeably less road-strained than herself. Despite Jetta’s distrustful nature, she found herself relaxing in the growing warmth of the cave.

syndicate
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Brocade would have hated that she was so far from home divulging her name to strangers. There was magic in the ties that bound Outsiders together, and though many in Salsola did not see it for what it was, Symre despite her youth was attracted to diversity. Her Kingdom had become a cess pool of Valentines, all generations of her family attracted to the wealth and power that came with notoriety.

She was a girl who pursued no path, coveted no specific ambition.

She had never bothered leaning into the cueponi ritual when it had been asked of her.

Symre wiped droplets of water from her chin and allowed her gaze to settle on the crackling flames that lay between them. Jetta Salvias was a name as foreign to her as the strange traditions that rippled through Salsolas ranks. She was forced to call everyone by their rank, a blazing symbol of their fealty and their ambition to continuously climb. The more often their rank changed, the more involved they were in their betterment amongst their peers.

Symre was a member of The Family – low enough that her actions were not so scrutinized, though the name that dangled above her head marked her as someone to watch.

A sigh rippled through her lips and she drank again, settling into the sort of silence that settled between travelers.

The woman spoke of places that Symre knew nothing of. There was so much more beyond the borders of Salsola, and Symre was determined to learn as much about it as she could. Deep beneath the folds of her cloak she fondled a smooth talisman, one that she had blessed with quiet prayers and charms.

Her brows rose above her maroon eyes as they slanted over the backs of flames, ”Everywhere?” She couldn’t even imagine such a thing, ”I am from a place up North called Salsola. We are a secretive bunch, traditional.” Her smile showed her teeth, ”But I can’t say that I’ve ever been known for conforming to tradition.”

The scent of Jettas food wafted through the cave, and the horses nickered to one another lowly.

Symre leaned close and propped her chin in her hands, ”Can you tell me about the places that you’ve been?”

᛫ ᚻᛖᛞᛄ ᛫ ᚹᛁᛏᚳ᛫
Salsola
The Tradesman
Amanda
Luperci

Dead Topics