Lost at Moosehead Lake

Dahlia

POSTED: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:15 am

Outside the dawn is breaking, But inside in the dark I'm aching to be free

Following along the river, Lyssa came across a huge lake. This one looked even bigger then Lac Saint-Pierre she had visited in the fall. Looking around, she was struck by how different this area was to the place she once called home. Gone were the large rocky valleys and towering oak trees. She still spotted the similar pine, maple and birch trees of home, but they seemed much smaller compared to the forests that had clung the the ravine edges precariously. She was almost glad for these differences, but they filled her with a new loneliness.

Lyssa contemplated this loneliness as she sat near the water eating her dinner of a freshly caught rabbit. Not even the success of her hunt could make her feel happy today. She was proud of her growth as a hunter, but it had been hard. There were some times when she wouldn't find anything to eat for days. The winter was particularly bad. Luckily a small pack of coyotes had found her during the first storm and had taught her a few tricks for survival before sending her on her way. She cleaned up her muzzle and front paws when she finished her meal. Today her belly was warm, the rest of her felt ice cold. How much longer could she keep this up? How could she find her purpose in life if she spent every day in survival mode?

She laid down in the grass and peered over the lake, watching the reflection of birds flying overhead.

Last edited by Lyssa Fontaine on Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Ruby
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Innocence, once lost, can never be regained
Darkness, once gazed upon, can never be lost

OOC: Sorry to keep you waiting Ruby. +400 words.

Dahlia knew that it was going to take so much more for Nazario to lend some trust in her again, after being the entire reason the cartel and the other coyotes had to abandon their camps near the train carts to travel further north. He hadn't ever liked her, not since knowing she had joined up with Salsola. She was going to be blamed for her sister's mistakes, for her own desire to make sure that her remaining family was going to be ok.

And it pained her to know that despite all the good she had tried to do in her life, it made her enemies with just about everyone. The only ones that seemed to know better where those that were newer coyotes to this area, having known nothing about the hardships that Inferni had suffered at the hands of the Thistle Kingdom.

That event would forever be on her mind, but the lands they had chosen for their new camp seemed to be something much more fitting for them than some old run down pieces left by the humans long ago. It was much more natural to all of them, and at least here there would be more scents to hide them should anyone come to close.

They had isolated themselves, just as Inferni had done so long ago.

The gray coyote padded along the shores of the lake, sighing as she tried to get her mind away from things. They had moved. Salsola would no long have a way to follow them, or at least Julius wouldn't. All of them were safer here, and she didn't have to worry about going between two places anymore. She still missed her niece and nephew, hoping the best for the both of them. They had claimed they wanted her to be happy... but how could she rest easy knowing they were being raised in such a place?

But what could she do? She couldn't take them away.. then everyone would be in danger..

Dahlia's head moved up to see the other coyote laying in the grass near the lake, watching the birds that were flying overhead. it was someone that she didn't recognize, though being as close as she was, perhaps this was someone that was new to the Cartel? Perhaps knew of their location from someone of Inferni? It was hard to say. Padding closer, she still kept her distance, "Hey there. New to this area?"

Dahlia de le Poer

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Salena
LuperciChaos Star

POSTED: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:11 pm

"Hey there. New to this area?"

Lyssa jumped up when she heard a voice close by. She looked over to see a grey coyote in optime form wearing a red jacket. Instinctively her guard went up, and her body went stiff. It was clear this stranger was also on guard, but she didn't seem hostile. She was lucky. It wasn't often that Lyssa was caught off gaurd. Perhaps the fatigue was finally starting to hit her.

Looking over the stranger again she thought she could take a chance. Perhaps this canine could help her find this group she was looking for. She held her ground as she responded back.

"Bonjour... , she trailed off, shook her head, and tried again. "Uh, hello. Pardon me, my English is quite rusty. Yes I am new here, I've been travelling for a while. My name is Lyssa. Perhaps you can help me? I heard tale of a large coyote pack out in the region. Is this true?"

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Ruby
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:02 pm

OOC: +300 words.

Dahlia's eyes focused on the coyote, watching her as she seemed to jumpt o the words that were spoken to her. It seemed that whatever she was doing, she had her complete focus on it. It wouldn't do any good to be out of focus, especially when wandering around on their own. While it was true that the Cartel had moved to somewhere safer, at least to a place that Julius wouldn't know about, one could never completely forget about the threats that were lurking in the area.

When the woman turned around to face the gray woman, it was easier to get a look at what her body. She had grown more on guard with her stance, but she also looked very tired. How long had she been out here on her own?

She paused, listening to the woman, Lyssa's, words. So it had been confirmed that she had been traveling for a while, and implied to be on her own. For someone who claimed that their English was not very good, she knew enough to hold up a conversation. That was good at least on her part given that it was the only language she would actually be able to understand. Basilio was long dead and her mother had never picked up on any of his Spanish.

Head turned over her shoulder, pondering about the Cartel. If she had heard about them or the other coyotes that were living in the area, then who else knew about them? Was Julius spread word about them after all? Even with everything that seemed to be going on in Salsola? Or worse, had the pups been forced to rat her out? Worry filled her as she paced a bit closer to the lupus woman, "Pack is not the right word. There's not enough of us to really be considered as such. I am curious though. How did you learn about the coyotes around here?"

Dahlia de le Poer

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Salena
LuperciChaos Star

POSTED: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Pack isn't the right word? The thought ran through Lyssa's head. Had the information she heard been wrong? It checked out with the information she had heard earlier today from the other two coyotes, furthering the worry in the pit of her stomach. "Ah, I am sorry. I had heard the rumor west of here, along the St. Laurence. But you know how word travels. C'est la vie." she replied.

She shifted on her feet nervously. What was she suppose to do now? She had come all this way on the word of some stranger. She hadn't even made a plan of what to do once she found them, let alone a backup plan. Glancing at the coyote standing in front of her she sat down with a sigh. She looked friendly enough, though her optime form did put Lyssa a bit on edge. She hadn't really had much practice shifting since she was forced to live on her own so early. There was no need to shift beyond secui in the wilderness. Looking at the gray coyote made her feel a touch embarrassed about that fact for some reason. Sitting there on the cold, damp ground flooded her with exhaustion.

"Well, maybe you could help me another way then, " she said, finally accepting the words she had heard today. She stood up with a sheepish smile and took a step forward. "Is there somewhere safe I could sleep tonight? My journey has taken a lot out of me. Allow me to make a proper introduction. My name is Lyssa, Lyssa Fontaine.

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Ruby
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:30 pm

OOC: +300 words.

One of Dahlia's eyebrows rose to the mention of hearing a rumor to the west of here. Not much was here to the west aside from the Cartel and the other coyotes that traveled along with them. Many of the other coyotes had formed their own sort of band, keeping themselves separate, but at the same time part of the other small group. Even so, neither group had yet to come under the same kind of banner, so they were not a pack or even a clan.. whichever word was to be used.

She gave a small nod instead to this, acknowledging that it had been said. There wasn't much of a need to continue on with that segment of the conversation.

Green eyes simply focused on the woman as she shifted about on her feet. She seemed nervous about something, but there wasn't much of a need to pry. She had spoken up soon enough, asking if there was a place where she may be able to at least sleep for the night. Her coyote nature seemed enough to where Nazario was sure to let her stay in the Cartel's camp should she want to move on the next day.

Giving a nod, Dahlia turned on her feet, gesturing with one hand for Lyssa to come join her, "Yes, I know a place. There's a band of us nearby to the lake. I'm sure both of its leaders won't mind you staying with us. And yes, so you said before. Since I didn't say it before, my name is Dahlia de le Poer."

She gave a pause before speaking up again, "The group near here is known simply as The Cartel." There shouldn't be too much harm in giving away that name. What could this woman really do? If she was so clueless of the area, then she couldn't have been with Salsola, not that the kingdom would really want her in the first place.

Dahlia de le Poer

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Salena
LuperciChaos Star

POSTED: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm

"Ah, merci." Relief flowed through Lyssa. Tonight she would have somewhere safe to sleep, the first time in over 5 months. In the morning she could figure out what to do. Would the Cartel welcome her? At least Dahlia seemed kind enough to offer her a place to stay for the night, and that was enough for her. In the back of her mind she hoped the Cartel would like her enough. If they were kind, perhaps she could stay while she figured out what to do next.

She looked up and smiled at Dahlia. The tall, grey coyote began to lead the way, and Lyssa had to pad her way over quickly to catch up. Lyssa felt a new nervousness start to form, but the small talk with Dahlia kept those feelings at bay as they headed towards the band.

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Ruby
Luperci

Dead Topics