tale as old as time

POSTED: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Their final check point before reaching the Vale was an appealing little section within the national park that had been carved out and cultivated by the primitivists. They took for granted all the technology and education that had once been at their disposal, and what they considered to be simple living was, in reality, merely sustainable. While she was happy to live in the lap of luxury, on a soft bed, curled up in warm blankets, she wouldn't die if she had to spend a week with nothing more than her ability to use thumbs when necessary.

The former commune grounds strongly resembled the home the majority of the caravan had left behind. They were all a little shaken by how quickly the pack fell apart, but the journey was made in earnest. None of them wanted to delay the opportunities that lay ahead. Their collective anticipation was tangible, like electricity buzzing through the air.

After the horses were relieved and the wagon unloaded of some of the burden, the group members began to set up their own individual campsites around a large fire pit that had been well used. Finally, tasks for the rest of the day were delegated. Ceridwen offered to forage to supplement their meal that evening. Now that the snow was rapidly melting, little caches full of nuts could be found. If she spent her time wisely, she would have plenty to share.

With a thin cloak over her shoulders, a satchel strung across her chest, and a sturdy walking stick in her grasp, she departed from the others, anxious to leave the commune behind. Leaving the memories of the Court behind her, she navigated her way through the overgrown forest, taking care not to slip on the slick moss that covered most surfaces.

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas (NPC)
Ray
Luperci Venerate savagery, Die savagely

POSTED: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:45 pm

OOC :: Words→ 240

The Vale was full of new faces. Some were foreign, either hailing from far-off lands or fleeing from the crumbling Court. Other were homegrown, bounding across fresh grass and rolling around whelping beds. Even Falcon, as personable as he tried to be, was losing track of them all. Sure, he’d been a bit… Distracted lately, but that was no excuse.

Nevertheless, the Elkenfrey needed his space. He needed to get away from it all, at least for a little while, and the forests around Mistfell Vale never failed him. It wasn’t the most responsible thing to do, but Falcon pulled his weight around Winterwynd; he’d be back before anyone noticed he was gone. Well, almost anyone—Cotton would notice, and no matter how boring the hybrid’s adventure was, he’d want to know about it.

Falcon weaved between the trees, careful not to slip on the slick, green moss that covered the forest floor. He ducked under an evergreen bough, blue-green gaze searching for anything of interest, and hummed thoughtfully. The melting snow would reveal caches of nuts and other treasures; Falcon just had to look for them.

Maybe he’d find an old shack along the way, or an abandoned campsite, or… Another luperci. Falcon paused mid-step and stared at the odd-eyed woman. He cocked his head to the side, barked a greeting, and waved—where had he met her before?

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander
They stole my dirty socks... :( MV Top Poster!

POSTED: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:48 am

The friendly bark drew her attention to the black and white furred stranger. Looking up, she blinked in surprise, wondering who was calling to her. By nature, she was not sociable, though she typically did well when it came to remembering names or faces. Nothing came to mind, however, by the time she finally realized that she had been staring for several seconds. Shaking out her coat uncomfortably, she began to step precariously over the uneven terrain, steadily making her way towards the individual, closing the gap between them.

His lithe form and angular features suggested someone of coyote or perhaps dog heritage. It mattered little to Ceridwen, who was a hybrid herself, and had no immediate qualms against anyone due to their sub-species. She herself appeared very much a mix of several different canine breeds; heavier boned than the stranger, with red fur and tan flecks that made her conspicuous among the towering trees. Perhaps it was why she innately shied away from tasks such as hunting.

Once she was within talking distance, she greeted the stranger cautiously, light on her toes, suggesting she was a flight risk. A creature so sturdily built need not worry about whether or not she was capable of fighting, but she knew that she was swift. As such, she determined her odds to be better if she decided to run rather than fight. It was unwarranted to weigh those options, but she could not help but allow hundreds of different outcomes to flood her head. She needed to ensure that she had a plan for every single possible outcome.

"Hello, is there something I can help you with?" Now that they were nearly face to face, she could say with certainty that she did not know the stranger, though it was possible that they had seen each other in passing. After all, the masquerade held by the Court over the winter had attracted attendants far and wide. Cocking her head slightly, she raised her eyebrows hopefully, and even catered to a small smile that cautiously crept past the corners of her mouth.

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas (NPC)
Ray

POSTED: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:42 am

OOC :: Words→ 290

Whether the woman recognized Falcon or not, her bout of staring made him recognize her. The pale shock of hair, the rosy brown fur, the bi-colored eyes—she was a Courtier, or at least, she had been. Her appearance had stood out to Falcon at the masquerade, even while disguised. He didn’t know her name, or what brought her so far north, but they had already bumped into each other; he might as well find out.

The ex-Courtier looked skittish, like a deer separated from its herd, and Falcon wondered if she was running from something. Details of the Court’s demise were as vague and unhelpful as ever, his refugee packmates having left before its disbandment. Not that it was any of Falcon’s business; he was just a nosy person, and he wasn’t afraid to admit it.

”Not really, just passing through,” the Elkenfrey said, ”and I figured I’d say hello.” Given her demeanor, he resisted the urge to offer the woman a handshake; he didn’t want to spook her any more than he already had. ”My name is Falcon, and I hail from Mistfell Vale. Are you from the Court? I think I recognize you from the masquerade.” If he hadn’t, and his memory was playing tricks on him… Well, no harm, no foul.

Suddenly, Falcon remembered the handaxes on his belt. He “brushed off” his hips, convinced he’d forgotten to hide them, but no—they were covered by leather pouches, as they often were when he left the Vale. Their handles hadn’t smacked against his legs the whole way here, so he supposed that made sense.

So why was she so jumpy? Falcon wasn’t exactly intimidating.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Ceridwen squinted, trying not to feel too suspicious. It was difficult to remind herself that most interactions were not high-stakes. "I was from the Court, yes." It had been a couple weeks since the pack had collapsed, though she was not sure how far word had spread in that amount of time. "Mistfell Vale? Well, we're on our way there. That's our last top, but we thought it was best to arrive not quite so... haggard." It would take them hardly any time at all to get there, and they needed plenty of energy to unpack and get settled.

Careful with what information she divulged to the luperci, she gestured behind her, indicating the direction she had come. "There's plenty of shelter here, so we thought it would be nice to spend the night. The caravan is a small group, half dozen, with some animals in tow as well." She did not mention their intentions, but it was not due to an attempt at being mysterious. Still feeling distraught over the loss of her pack, Ceridwen was not sure if she was ready to settle yet. At the moment, it felt as if she could trust no one. Even a friendly stranger put her on edge.

"I apologize, I don't think I remember you, but I am bad with names. My name's Ceridwen." She gave a little sniff, but could not entirely recognize the stranger's scent either. There were dozens of luperci she had met that day, and after all the drinks, it had been difficult to keep them all straight. "I'm sure we'll be preparing some food to share soon, you're welcome to join." She offered, deciding that there was nothing to lose by inviting him along. Perhaps treating him well would put them at an advantage.

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas (NPC)
Ray

POSTED: Fri May 17, 2019 10:26 pm

OOC :: Words→ 261

The rosy brown woman confirmed Falcon’s suspicions and explained that she was traveling to Mistfell Vale with a half dozen other Courtiers. Their caravan, haggard from traveling around the peninsula, had stopped to make camp for the night. Falcon hummed thoughtfully and nodded, but waited before speaking—she seemed like she had more to say, and he didn’t want to interrupt her.

How would Saga react to an entire caravan joining the Vale at once? Falcon supposed he’d have to wait and see.

The wolfdog apologized for not recognizing him and introduced herself. ”Don’t worry, I don’t think we spoke,” Falcon said, smiling warmly at Ceridwen, ”You just… Stood out, I suppose. In a good way.” His tail gave a friendly wag at the thought. She was an attractive woman with a unique appearance, and he’d spent half the masquerade gossiping about pretty girls with Naya; that was probably why he remembered Ceridwen so distinctly.

Maybe, if Naya hadn’t been so busy making moon eyes at Minerva, he could have goaded the two into dancing together. Probably not, but maybe.

”I’d love to join you,” Falcon said, glancing past her into the trees. His stomach grumbled quietly at the thought of food. ”Do you need help with anything? I don’t want to take advantage of your hospitality.” A bit of work had never hurt Falcon; it didn’t feel fair to eat their food without pulling his weight. Whatever Ceridwen was doing to aid the caravan, he wanted to do it, too.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

Dead Topics