Breath of the forest

April Prompt - Hunting

POSTED: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:13 am

OOC ::
There have been a lot of births and newcomers recently in the Vale, perhaps it would be a good idea to go on a hunt to bolster the food stocks?

Words→ 281

Noxweald was alive with birdsong, and Falcon was too busy staring at the ground to enjoy it. Morning mist swirled around him, obscuring his quarry in the undergrowth. He could smell the hare he’d chased into the forest, its blood fresh on his lips, but he couldn’t see it. The big, fat rabbit wouldn’t be hard to find—he just had to find it before something else did.

As lackadaisical as Falcon could be, he cared about Mistfell Vale. He enjoyed getting his hands dirty and helping people, even when it was time-consuming or inconvenient. This hare, though… This hare was trying his patience. Falcon usually hunted on two legs, Eyebite and Glitterdust doing the dirty work for him, but not today.

Despite his frustration, there was something... Satisfying about hunting in his four-legged forms. The Elkenfrey loved darting after prey, born and bred to evade him, until they hung limply from his jaws. As convenient as weaponry was, it couldn’t compare to the thrill of the chase; throwing a hand axe was less fun than barreling teeth first into a hare.

However, it was more reliable—at least for him.

The hybrid inhaled deeply, nose to the ground, and adjusted his course slightly. Where was it? If Falcon had been more patient, he'd have killed the rabbit instead of clipping it with his teeth. At least he had a bloody trail to follow; if he didn't, this would be a lot harder. Not impossible, just… Harder than it already was.

Falcon, as much as he cared about Mistfell Vale's food stores, was beginning to wonder if he was wasting his time.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander
They stole my dirty socks... :( MV Top Poster!

POSTED: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:09 pm

[300+]

Memory was a troubling thing, troubling for her as someone who recalled so many troubling moments. Perhaps she was weak, peeling back on herself from the inside, not like her former companion. That odd boy had brought things to life in bright light with paint. Maybe that's why she sketched, to bring back old life, which although giving her wrist cramps aided her skill with wrapped charcoal or homemade writing tools. But anything to help her forget, or better yet remember.

Memories helped her hunt, trust the instincts her father had left there inside for her to reach into her skull and pull it out, at least when needed. At least until she died and couldn't do such a thing anymore...

Rialu's head cocked one way, an ear curling and peaking lightly upward, the other followed suit. She stalked quickly up-hill, through some brush to see that Falcon was there, a familiar face considering every face was strange and new. She could draw her father and her standing there listening to the world, telling her she couldn't rely on stupid old luck. That they were better than that, his sparkling eyes told her in one breath, getting what you need is about knowing what you want. She could smell rabbit, just not exact position. They were downwind which kept their scent away for the time. "Rabbit? Did you cut the poor guy?" She asked, her nostrils pulling air, eyes devoted to the earth, she touched a small print. "Bugger didn't travel straight," the hunter grumbled.

Rialu had her bow for any clean shot, but if they cornered the thing it would be simple to use her claws to snag a handful of loose skin and go in with her hunting knife. This was easier than remembering crap that happened four years ago, this was right here in the white hot moment. She could draw everything she'd ever learned--but she would hate ever second of it. Mostly because she hated to draw on paper, but dammit if she couldn't snap a drawstring back and slam pointed fury into a moving, jumping, bunny rabbit today.
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

POSTED: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:23 pm

OOC :: Words→ 274

Falcon sniffed the air, blue-green eyes peering through the fog. The scent of another luperci caught his nose, and her voice drew his attention. A brief glance confirmed his suspicions; he wasn’t the only one hunting in Noxweald. Rialu, the hybrid who’d helped him rescue Alma, was also here.

”I got its leg,” Falcon said, licking his lips, ”but it slipped between my teeth.” Mistakes were common in hunting, especially on four legs, and he tried to welcome them. Once, failed hunts had devastated Falcon; now, they were learning experiences.

The Elkenfrey hummed thoughtfully and nodded at the woman’s observation; the trail zig-zagged through the undergrowth, bloody tracks leading them to who knows where. ”It’s probably bleeding out in a bush somewhere.” Falcon said, nose to the cool, mossy ground. At least, he hoped it was; he didn’t want to dig it out of an old burrow or rip it away from hungry scavengers.

”Are you hunting rabbits too, or did you have larger game in mind?” Falcon asked, glancing at the hybrid woman’s bow. Rialu was new to Mistfell Vale, and he didn’t know what to think of her just yet. She’d cracked jokes at Alma’s expense, but she’d gone out of her way to help her. She was loud and crass, but leadership saw value in her skills. Falcon knew there was something there of interest; he just didn’t know what.

The tracks began to change, the rabbit dragging its injured leg through wet earth, and Falcon smiled to himself; it was slowing down, and they were closing in.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Fri May 03, 2019 4:59 am

ooc --> wascawy wabbit

[400+]

"Well we should get to it soon mon amis, even prey does not deserve more pain than necessary, oui?" Rialu told him, letting inklings of Quebecois French ebb lively tucked in her clean English before tutting and pulling her bow from her back. She fingered the string with her right hand in playful concentration, feeling the vibration at a fingertip like a gunman might tease a trigger.

The pair pursued the rabbit quite easily, as Falcon had already done most of the work having nicked it. The scent was strong on the breeze, and droplets of blood glistened on the forest floor where freshly torn dirt had been roused by small yammering feet. Falcon asked her a question, and without a turn of the head she swapped expressions so he knew she was at least considering something. "Yeah I was pining for mostly some small game today, bird-man. I'm well, I'm a good shot but bigger things, I have to get in the neck or head or they tend to run the hell away..." Even then there were no guarantees, and the experienced huntress knew that from many hunts dragging on longer than needed. And speaking of dragging on, Rialu had been following the other's lead as it was his hunt after all, she was just a guest. The tracks had gone from single, outright blotches of churned dirt to an awkward line where the herbivore's leg was being tugged along the ground, just dead weight. The blood it left behind increased in volume as the trees thinned, and she knew it wouldn't be too much a hassle to bag this thing. Then she saw the cream blob, warbling up a small slope, or at least trying to. Her instincts had her push away with two quick strides to the left letting her vision peer around a few trees, leaving Falcon's side in the process. But before she drew an arrow, she took one last glance at the bleeding creature and decided not to open fire, as it had stopped its struggle and was on its side trying to kick away with its one good kicker. But she'd seen dead otters with a more graceful backwards crawl on land. "I'll let you end that thing's struggle against gravity, man. That can be your lunch, and we can hit up the warren it likely came from, snag some for everyone else, eh?" That was where she'd been headed, as they weren't far off now. The rabbit would have made it to safety if not for the number that had been done on its leg.
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

POSTED: Fri May 17, 2019 11:31 pm

OOC :: Words→ 343

Falcon’s ears perked at Rialu’s brief foray into French, though he only knew a handful of phrases in the language—his father had insisted on it, and the pressure had discouraged him from further study. Thankfully, “mon ami” and “oui” were some of the first words he’d learned. ”Oui,” Falcon replied, smirking slightly, ”they don’t.” Honestly, he liked French; he just didn’t want to be goaded into learning it.

Also, he wasn’t very good at learning new languages, but that was neither here nor there.

The pair tracked in silence for a few moments before Falcon’s curiosity got the better of him. Rialu answered him easily, offering the hybrid an on-the-nose nickname before lamenting large prey’s tendency to “run the hell away.” He snorted and glanced at the ruddy woman. ”You’d run, too, if someone shot you in the side.” It was a lot harder to down a deer than it was a rabbit, especially when alone; he didn’t blame her for complaining about it.

As Noxweald thinned around him, the Elkenfrey spotted their quarry in the distance. The poor hare was still shedding its winter coat and stood out against the bright, green grass it dragged itself through. Before he could point it out to Rialu, his hunting companion was already moving into position. Falcon waited a beat, expecting to see an arrow fly into their struggling prey, but she hesitated instead. She wanted him to deliver the killing blow.

Falcon nodded and slinked forward, unwilling to underestimate the dying animal. He had no idea how much fight the rabbit had left in it and he didn’t want to lose it again. Once Falcon was within striking range, he darted forward and sunk his teeth into the half-dead hare. He stepped back, licked the blood from his lips, and glanced at Rialu over his shoulder. ”You said something about a warren?” the hybrid asked, tail wagging in satisfaction.

Having a hunting partner had more perks than he remembered.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 pm

She had cracked lips at his last joke about taking an arrow in her side, but this was something funnier. Rialu grinned, snorted a half laugh and quipped, "Uhuh, I'm not just a pretty face pal, I can sniff a bird outta the clouds."

That last part was a brag, but it was half true, she had been in the game a long time. And she was only getting better every day, with every day spent in the wilds tracking down food for her and others. Better every day, and the hunter knew that, but she was still knocking at the door of her potential.

"C'mon," she barked with a slight wave, and she led them back the way they came and then some, where the trees grew closer together and the sunlight grew damp. A small stream echoed ahead and Rialu hopped after two skips, wagging her tail she turned around to carry on, a hand steadying the weapon at her back.

Then the light strengthened under lighter canvas, and it was here Rialu pointed out beehives beginning their accumulation of honey for the season, hanging from tree limbs, lurking in the hard-to-reach holes of the forest above the forest. "Good sweetener, I hate it and it's hard to get sometimes but ahh," she said dismissively.

Not long after the forest floor wafted awake with the smell of rabbit, as the buzzing of bees disappeared at their backs. Rialu squatted, removed her bow and quiver, fastened a few loose things on her belt and began to roll in the sandy dirt and honeysuckle. Then when Rialu was done she retrieved her loose things and knelt. "My idea, so far..." the woman led, "is we pick off as many as we can quietly, we could get three, four, pretty easily here."
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

POSTED: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:20 pm

OOC :: Words→ 313

Falcon laughed and rolled his eyes Rialu’s assertion that she could “sniff a bird out of the clouds.” ”If you say so—you’re the master hunter, after all,” Falcon said, shaking his head in fond exasperation; he was slowly, but surely, warming up to the older woman. Rialu led him back the way they came, padding through thick forest until they came across a small stream. She hopped it with a wag of her tail and Falcon followed, eager to find the warren she spoke so highly of.

As the forest thinned, the scent of honey caught the Elkenfrey’s nose. He nodded as Rialu pointed out the beehives and hummed thoughtfully. ”Hate is a strong word, but I’m not a big fan of honey either,” Falcon said, staring up at the handful of hives poking out from the canopy. It was sickeningly sweet on its own and he didn’t understand why so many luperci, including his parents, liked it so much.

The scent of honey was soon replaced by the scent of rabbits, and Falcon’s mouth began to water expectedly. He watched Rialu roll around in the brush—presumably to conceal her scent—and kept an ear out for anything of note. Once his hunting partner was finished, she knelt down beside him and shared her plan to “pick off” as many as they could. It was… Simple. But in a rabbit warren full of prey, Falcon could figure out the details on his own.

”If the kills are quick, yeah,” he agreed, scanning the undergrowth for long ears and wiggling tails. Once one rabbit screamed, it was all over—the entire warren would know they were there. ”But if you can shoot a bird out of the air, you can probably bag a rabbit or two.” Falcon stuck his tongue out and smiled mischievously at Rialu.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:24 pm

"How bout I just shoot you instead." Rialu teased back, a sour expression taking over but not without its playfulness. She chuckled small but it died out after a few short strokes as her serious nature came back to talk more shop. "Okay. So. My friend, you have the speed and I have the range, we should kick ass, but I don't hunt with a partner often," were her thoughts aloud. "Also," she said, motioning at Falcon with a pointed finger lightly, "don't uhh, don't get between me and a rabbit out of the blue. I am not pulling an arrow out of your ass today."

After that final warning, which doubled as a promise, she thought they'd covered all they'd needed to, besides maybe threatening to shoot him once more for being a joke-slinger but she held her aggression for the rabbits. But no, the final piece of the plan, as she stood up eyes flashing over him, "We work in pairs, you rabbit, me rabbit," before sniffing at the air, ears afloat for a hunter's gander.

Then she moved into a deep crouched position and crawled onward, went over a large bank, under some shaking leaves and out to where she thought the warren to be. Rialu saw something darting along the curve of the next slope, thought of shooting but it was a little far and she would risk making noise before their time. She motioned for her partner to follow silently with an outstretched hand before slowly moving down the small slope to the smell of small pines and grass and food for the taking. She saw a blur of movement, then another so she moved more quickly, motioning her left arm to show him where she believed a second rabbit was. Then standing up to ready herself to zip an arrow close to the earth through the tall grass. Rialu squeezed her eyes shut as she heard bone meet dirt, opened again, moved twenty paces left and loaded the next arrow before landing in the backside of her target. She looked to Falcon hissing "sacre bleu" and when she was through, said more clearly, "what if I told ya I did not miss three times."
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

Mistfell Vale