is it a man resigned?

Drifter Bay

POSTED: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Optime form; midday. Set in an unclaimed area of Drifter Bay.

The ocean still called to him.

He walked among the grasses, ignoring the coarse edges as they sliced through his fur, and down to the damp sands of the bay with ears pressed forward. Adonis' gaze wandered over the stormy gray of the waters that lay fathomless beneath the overcast skies. Even in winter, it was a welcome sight. The water rolled up and swirled around his ankles and wrists as he stood feet from the domain of his patron deity; despite being cursed, the white raven still shadowed him on occasion. It served as a clear indication that he was not forgotten to the king of the ocean.

Adonis turned left and started south down the beach. Sea spray and foam began to cling to his coat, giving the strands a dewy appearance, and soothing the aches (physical and mental) of the loner. This was his element. Here he could hear the ocean speak to him. A flash of pale white caught his eye, and he looked down to see a shell half-buried in the sand. Leaning back on his feet, he reached down and picked it up with a delicate touch. He rinsed it off in water and laid it flat in his palm. The interior was opalescent, with a faint blush coloration. A flicker of emotion surged up through his throat as he realized that this was the first time he'd been able to pick up something and look at it.

With the same careful touch, he placed the shell back on the sand and continued walking down the beach.

POSTED: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Can this be backdated to, say, the 23rd? :o Also your posts are made of win. :3
The ocean had been something Aspirin never really associated herself with. While in captivity, she was far from the coast or any body of water—"You'll drown yourself at the first chance you get," her owner would say, scornful and mocking. So the wolfdog never really knew what the ocean was until fairly recently, and she found the water calming. The hypnotizing sound of the waves pulling in and out, in and out... It was almost enough to put her to sleep, really.

She was knelt by the water, her scarlet cloak over her shoulders to fend off the winter winds. Currently she was trying to figure out how the ocean didn't freeze over like every other watery liquid did, and how the salty body differed from all the other water in the world. Perhaps the answer was that salt, though, considering normal drinking water didn't contain that much salt. Did the salt keep it from freezing, maybe? The she-dog couldn't be sure. Nevertheless, she stared out at the endless stretch of sea with a glazed-over look in her violet eyes, and she closed them, sighing deeply. This was one of the few moments of peace she had—the waves washed over her soul and took away her worries, her fears, her every last thought, really. It was almost as if the water withdrew from her, it drew her troubled mind away as well, piece by piece, until she felt... strangely empty. It was a good kind of empty, though, she realized as her purple orbs opened again, because she couldn't feel all the things that plagued her every day of her life.

The thoughts and emotions soon flooded back into her as she caught sight of another in the corner of her eye, however, and immediately she turned to see him. Startled, she hopped to her feet, the white sand covering her legs as she held her arms around her chest. The male was still some ways away from her, but she was sure he would've heard her after she had kicked up all that sand. She watched him silently, her body still, as she waited for what he would do—preferably, he would either walk by and not pay her any attention, or just make small talk before leaving. Socialization was still something she lacked in, so she doubted she would make a good impression if she spoke up now.
avvie by zyn | siggie by laura

veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Works just fine for me! But shucks, your posts are just as fab! 8)

Not long after he continued his walk, he caught sight of a splash of crimson and a spray of sand. He came to an abrupt halt, hackles lifting, and ears twisting forward. A good distance down the beach was another canine, though the creased ears and unusual speckled markings on her muzzle told him she was not a wild cousin. Instead she bore a heritage influenced by humans; the thought made him uneasy, but he knew (from the skeletal remains of cities and cars he'd passed on the way to Nova Scotia) that humans were long gone from this world. Adonis raked his gaze over her form, noting that she was much smaller than him and bore a crimson cloak wrapped around her shoulders.

But the most important thing he noticed was that she was just as concerned about his presence as he was of her own. Adonis felt a pang of pity for her, wondering what her story was and if it was just as ironically dramatic as his own. He remained on all fours so that his head came up to her shoulder, if that, and approached with a lowered tail and a soft, placating whine. The closer he came, the clearer the unusual rippling of tissue became; she bore scars that were far more prominent than his own.

He stopped a good distance away, but close enough to speak over the din of the waves. "Do not fear, I am just passing through to admire the ocean. I mean you no ill will." He spoke with a tempered tone. Despite his size, he spoke with little aplomb.

POSTED: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Cool, thanks. ^^ And thanks again, haha. :3
It became increasingly evident to Aspirin that this male was much larger than herself, which could've been contributed to his obvious wolf heritage, but not only was his size troublesome to the small female, but his pale complexion also made her uneasy. He reminded her of the horrid man that kept her as a servant, and she shivered as he drew nearer to her. She didn't dare move, however; she couldn't just bolt because of what he looked like. Besides, she knew he wasn't Sterling, and there were other traits he carried to prove this. His eyes in particular were reassuring to her; instead of a fierce orange, they were a soft gold, and the wolfdog exhaled a deep breath as he stood before her.

Her cloak fluttered from the sea breeze, the same wind that brought her the sound of his quiet whimper. His even-toned voice was carried soon after, telling her he meant not to harm her, and Aspirin felt her muscles relax. Instead of looking like a stiff statue under crimson cloth, she returned to looking like a scrawny little whelp covered in an article of clothing much more fancy and well-made than herself.

The she-dog took a small, cautious step forward, and then another. Her paws sank into the shallow sand as she pulled the cloak closer to her shaking figure, and she dipped her muzzle submissively. "I... I'm sorry for misjudging you," she said, violet eyes looking away. "I'm... easy to f-frighten, I suppose..." After a moment of silence, she glanced up at the man again, her short mane wildly blown to the side by the chilly winter winds.

veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Today was long. Sorry if this is weird! :)

Gods, she's no larger than a child. Adonis thought as he observed the female. She was obviously an adult, but her domesticated heritage lent little to a truly wild appearance. The only other wolfdog he could remember interacting with was Caoin, and even he had all the features of a wolf save for the squared-off head and muzzle (not to mention it was many, many years ago that he'd last seen the brown eye'd guardian). The crimson cape was a fine thing, but Adonis' could not yet come to appreciate such items. He just could not see the point in it.

When she revealed her concerns to him, he chuckled sadly, averted his eyes, and replied without missing a beat, "And I am easily frightening." He remarked with the barest trace of bitterness coloring his tone. When he returned his attention to her, he saw her lowered muzzle and moved to catch her gaze with a friendly wave of his tail. A soft smile replaced the twisted frown that was commonly found there, and he motioned up the beach a ways. "Would you like to walk with me? It might warm you up." He offered.

POSTED: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 pm

No, it was fine! ^~^ Also, slight PP to assume they've started to walk? Tell me if it needs to be changed. 8D
Tarnished good orbs had shifted away from her as he chuckled, and the other canine had commented without having to mull over it that he was easily frightening. If there was malice in his voice, Aspirin had missed it, for she just let her nose tilt towards the sand even more. She felt bad now, for seemingly giving off the impression he was a frightful stranger, but she didn't voice her concerns—she didn't want to trouble him further by arguing with him on the matter.

Violet orbs caught sight of a pale, waving appendage, and, though it was almost the same color of the grains under her feet, she could tell it was the tail of the male wagging. Her eyes lifted back to his figure and her folded ears shifted forward as he spoke, and the she-dog blinked. A walk? She wasn't sure how that would warm her up, but regardless, it didn't seem like it would harm her, either. This man seemed as though he meant no trouble, like he had said, and he was pleasant enough. A faint smile of her own graced across her muzzle as she nodded softly in affirmation, and she took a few steps closer to him, and they started off on their walk across the bay.

For a minute of two, she was silent, but the quietness was almost deafening. The wolfdog finally cleared her throat as her arms looped into each other behind her back, and she looked up to the creamy male. "... My... My name is Aspirin," she said, hoping to get one to call him in return.

veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:27 am

Just fine! :D (+200 words)

Adonis was used to silence.

More often than not, Juliet would not speak for hours and if she did, they were often minor observations or notes about prey trails. Other days, she would wax lyrical about the stories they'd gathered, and improve on their own. So he was wholly used to walking in silence even with a companion by his side. He also knew by experience that if the wolfdog wanted to speak she would, and if she didn't, she wouldn't. Simple as that. The princeps was not presumptuous to assume or even expect her to. If she gleaned even the slightest peace of mind from this walk, his mission was a success.

That didn't stop him from being pleased when she closed the distance between him and joined him for the stroll down the beach. They walked for a few minutes before a tiny vocalization rose from the space beside him. Adonis twisted an ear towards her as he padded along on all fours, listening to her clear her throat, only to shyly introduce herself as Asprin. He lend her a warm smile in return, and replied in the same patient tone, "Well met, Asprin." He said. "My name is Adonis."

He hummed a note of pleasure as the waves rolled high up the beach and washed around his ankles and wrists. Adonis looked out towards the horizon for a moment, and returned his attention to Asprin a second later. "I did not think I would see the ocean again after I set out from home. It is a welcome sight." He commented.

Last edited by Adonis Nero on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POSTED: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:42 pm

His warm beam slowly melted away any of the fears Aspirin still held in him, and she almost smiled back when he introduced himself as Adonis. She thought the name sounded nice, not the type of name she was used to, but, then again, those more foreign to her were more interesting. Certainly more creative and pleasant than her own—Ugh, Aspirin. It felt like something one would soothe their pain with, or something that someone gave into only if necessary. She didn't particularly like her name, and the wolfdog often wondered how her parents had even came up with it. Her father had been literate, though, even if he couldn't write—he hadn't been a Luperci—so did he pick it up from somewhere? She didn't know. Regardless, she nodded, looking forward again. "Adonis... I... I like that name." A ghost of a smile graced her lips as her gaze fell from the path ahead to the grainy sand below.

Violet eyes returned to his form when he hummed in satisfaction, and she only flinched slightly at the unexpected feel of the ocean surrounding her feet, and gently rolling back, leaving her ankles damp with the sea. Adonis apparently had left his homeland, wherever that may have been, and found the water a pleasing sight, and Aspirin could understand his feelings; she herself had lived in a coastal area further down the continent, but she had been young then, and her memories of the ocean were hazy. Nevertheless she did indeed recall the feeling of the water pulling at her limbs, trying to drag her back out into the sea, and a vague memory of playing at the beach with her siblings made her hold happy feelings toward the vast body of water.

"I... think I lived near the ocean... a long time ago," she replied, albeit distantly, "It's... nice. I-It helps clear my mind when I'm troubled..." Or, rather, it had today—she hasn't associated with the ocean very much before this day.

veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 pm

(+300 words)

Though he had lived for over five years, Adonis could not actually recall a time when he had met a wolfdog; not that held any sort of bias or suspicion towards them, but his lack of association did raise a lot of questions about the area they found themselves in. He knew the Salvaje Valley, and later Seahawk, were remarkably exclusive to wildlife and difficult to get to from human civilizations. So it would explain why dogs hardly ever wandered into his homeland, but here it was different. The mountains were molehills compared to the jagged peaks, and humans seemed to have thrived here before... whatever happened, happened.

Still, he was too polite to levy these questions towards her. It would be a bit racist to assume she knew the answers simply because she had dog blood. Asprin surprised him when she commented on his name. He smiled almost shyly and looked down at his hands, idly watching the way the individual digits sunk into the sand beneath his weight. "Yours is equally pleasant." He replied with another wide swing of his tail. In truth, he wanted to know the origins behind it, but felt it rude to ask.

Adonis angled his head towards her when she took it upon herself to continue the threads of conversation. "When you were a child?" He queried. "When I was a pup, I lived on a mountain with my father. The first time I saw the ocean was a few months shy of my fourth birthday." He huffed in amusement. "It was so... big at first. I did not understand how water so massive could be contained like that."

Suddenly, a rogue wave rolled quickly up the beach and crashed into his side. Adonis was soaked up to his chest, and spray clung to his scruff. He jumped over the crest and laughed at the ridiculousness of the timing. "Well, perhaps contained is not the right choice of words."

Last edited by Adonis Nero on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POSTED: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Adonis gave her a bashful grin when she commented on his name, and his creamy tail gave a wide swing as he responded that hers was just as nice. The female was tempted to scoff at that, but instead looked out to the water, smiling vaguely. Compliments were pleasant, yes, but still, she didn't comprehend how her name was really flattering—perhaps it had been to the male, though, and it was just so boring and familiar to her since she had lived with it for essentially all her life. For the wolf, it was something new, probably something alien to his ears, just as his name had been strangely intriguing to her. The unfamiliarity of it made it sound interesting, and in turn, made her like it.

She nodded affirmatively, and listened as he told her how he had first encountered the sea. He was probably as young as she was when she was first allowed to visit the water, and nodded again as he recalled how impossibly vast the ocean had seemed. She was about to add in her own thoughts on the matter before a silent wave washed over Adonis, soaking him, and she had to contain her soft giggling. It was not often when she laughed—the last time she found something humorous had been so, so long ago—but she felt a bit guilty that something like this was what caused her to chuckle. It was rude, very rude indeed, to jeer at one's shortcomings, and Sterling had pounded this rule into her head very mercifully, despite the fact he would howl in laughter at her faults. Regardless of this, though, she offered a small, apologetic smile at her near-inaudible giggling. "I... I'm sorry," she said, reaching a hand up to her muzzle to silence herself. She spoke even after this, though, adding, "It's not nice to laugh at others..."

She let another small silence fall between them after Adonis' wettening, before pipping up again.

"... I understand what you mean, though... What you s-said earlier, I mean." She paused. "A-About the ocean, I mean... Or, I guess, I meant... How it's so... huge. It... It overwhelmed me the first time I saw it..."

veldt
Luperci

Dead Topics