The past, she is haunted, the future is laced

P. Lyssa | Moosehead

POSTED: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:00 am

A mild spring breeze lifted off the nearby lake and gently tousled Evelyn's shawl. She breathed in and tasted the smells of rotten leaves and thawing mud and new growth. They weren't unpleasant, these scents, but they took some getting used to. This land, now that winter was loosening its grip and melting away to nothing, was proving to be uncomfortably damp and, though their flight had taken them through many different climes, it was the dry and semi-arid scrublands that would always have her heart.

Breathing out again, the Vicar glanced at her feet and picked her way through the mud and the muck. There was no point in trying to avoid the inevitable, she knew, but that didn't mean she had to traipse about thoughtlessly. "Better damn well be useful kindlin' hereabouts," she grumbled, adjusting what few branches she had already found more securely beneath one arm.

In contrast to the fire-kissed coyote, Paninya trod carelessly through spiny brush and almost seemed to revel in the way the soggy earth squelched between her toes. Evelyn ignored her, but looked up when the young coydog gave a short, sharp yip. "What're you goin' on about now, girl?" she yapped back after a cursory glance at Lyssa.

"I found somethin'," the young woman replied, disappearing behind the brush as she crouched low. "Luperci tracks, I think."

Evelyn's heart dropped like a stone into her stomach. Her apathetic composure still stubbornly intact, she started toward Paninya without looking to see if Lyssa was following suit.

OOC: The trees are knocking quietly against one another in the mid-afternoon breeze while your party gathers whatever dried wood they can find to build a bonfire down on the beach. While searching, you come across a path where the brush has been disturbed, as though someone had purposefully covered their tracks. The scents are old, but distinctly male.

[WC — 261]

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Mandi
Little Bandit They stole my dirty socks... :( Venerate savagery, Die savagely

POSTED: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Outside the dawn is breaking, But inside in the dark I'm aching to be free

Lyssa walked through the forest looking for firewood, listening to the squelching of the mud and snapping of bushes and sticks under foot. The area was still quite damp, making it difficult to find anything good. She quickly eyed the two other canines with her. Nazario had assigned Lyssa to go find firewood for a gathering with two member of the Drygrass Posse; the black coydog Paninya, and the grey coyote Evelyn. Paninya stomped through the woods carelessly, with an air of mischief. Evelyn on the other hand muttered to herself grumpily. Lyssa smiled to herself when she first heard her: The shawled coyote reminded her of John and his "I don't give a shit" attitude. While at first his prickliness had made her feel uncomfortable, she had gradually began to understand the kindness underneath his fa├žade. Lyssa thought Evelyn might be like that too.

Suddenly Paninya yipped, and Evelyn barked out insults as she headed towards the black coydog. Lyssa ran up to the two of them to observe what they were talking about. Finding tracks around this areas wasn't particularly unusual, but these were different. The brush had been shifted around on purpose to hide the tracks. Lyssa sniffed the tracks. "I do not recognize the smell.... they are male... someone older? But no one I know from Cartel." Her brow furrowed as she looked in the direction the tracks lead.

"I do not like this." Lyssa's tail was erect, ears pointed forward. Her heart raced and her senses heightened as she thought of potential danger. She looked at the others with her golden eyes burning with passion. "I think we should go investigate. Whoever would try to hide their tracks can only be up to no good." Lyssa shifted into Lupus form, and centered herself on her four paw, feeling her claws dig into the mud. No one is going to hurt my family ever again.

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Ruby
Luperci You have to love yourself a fire

POSTED: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Silently, the Vicar took stock of the pawprints as Lyssa joined them at a run, ignoring the flame-hued woman while her calculating mind shifted from senseless worries to constructive thought. Crouching at the edge of where Paninya had found the tracks, the fire-kissed coyote set her sparse bundle of viable kindling aside and reached her fingers out as though to touch them. Her hand hovered and the mild wind swept between the claws of brush and swirled against the thawing earth before she drew it in and analyzed the notes dancing delicately in its substance.

Lyssa, too, had the same idea and Evelyn lifted her eyes – one grey and dead, one burning orange with life – to watch the youth as she spoke. "Ain't nobody from th' Posse neither," she murmured, settling into her crouch and returning her eyes to the prints hiding beneath disturbed brush. But Lyssa was right: it was male and the tracks were old. But why go to the trouble to hide them? That was sinister, so far as she was concerned. "No reason to hide yer tracks 'less you got somethin' to hide," she murmured, mostly to herself, her eyes distant with thought.

Rising sharply, Paninya arched her back and shook her dark pelt. "Well," she began, breaking into Evelyn's thoughts. She looked from the fire-scarred woman to La Cierva. "Only one way to maybe learn more 'bout 'em," she continued. After a beat, she added: "Let's see where they go!" And, after only a cursory look at the Vicar again, Paninya turned more pointedly at Lyssa (she was more her age, after all and, as far as Paninya was concerned, more likely to agree with her) as though to say "C'mon!" And then, without waiting for the eldest coyote to give the okay, Paninya loped off into the brush.

[WC — 311]

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Mandi

POSTED: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:28 pm

The young black female seemed to have a twinkle of excitement in her eyes before heading out to follow the prints. A knot formed within Lyssa stomach, twisting and turning tighter with each moment. While a hunt was thrilling, this was not. This was not a predator hunting down its prey, but rather a predator heading straight towards another predator. It could be dangerous. Lyssa took a deep breath to calm her nerves. Despite all of those facts, the situation could not be left alone.

Before following Paninya into the bushes, Lyssa glanced back at the Vicar. The hooded woman also seemed unnerved by the turn of events. "I suppose we should follow," the red coyote said, hinting at dissatisfaction towards the other coyote's eagerness. It was never smart to rush into things without thinking them through thoroughly. They would have to be cautious moving forward. The two of them exchanged an uneasy look before heading out as well. Lyssa sniffed the air and followed the smell of the stranger.

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Ruby

POSTED: Mon May 13, 2019 2:55 pm

For several beats, Evelyn only glowered in the direction that the dark little coydog went and weighed her options. The idiotic little whelp was part of their posse now, and Evelyn felt some responsibility for her. But on the other hand, she hardly knew the girl and if something happened to her on account of her own stupidity, then that was on the coydog herself. And then she remembered the help that Paninya had provided her during Wayne's trouble and The Vicar grunted softly.

Her mind was already made up before Lyssa spoke up. "You ain't got to," she said to the more sensible of her young cohorts, giving the red coyote a flash of a look before she adjusted her cloak and took a step forward. "But you do what you want." The last thing The Vicar wanted was to feel as though she was responsible for two young women. If Lyssa wanted to join in, then that was on her. And, in the end, that seemed just what she wanted.

Paninya didn't get too far ahead of them and Evelyn could see her dark figure slinking through the spring growth as she followed the old trail of the male stranger. Eventually, she caught up with Paninya, or Paninya waited for them to catch up, and The Vicar glared at her as she asked, "Anything?"

"Not really. Just more disturbed brush an' old scents," the dark coydog replied, shrugging as though she was disappointed.

Evelyn paused and looked about her, her single good eye scanning the surrounding forest for anything odd and finding herself relieved when she saw nothing out of the ordinary. She looked at Lyssa again. "You find anything?"

OOC: Sorry for my slow! :c

[WC — 285]

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Mandi

POSTED: Wed May 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Lyssa shrugged. They were already there, and they really should at least have a look. Besides, it was a lot safer to search as a small group. Lyssa looked around the area with the other two canines nearby. They found some more disturbed bushes, and similar smells, but the scents were getting weaker and weaker.

The Vicar asked Lyssa if she had found anything. She shook her head in response. The tracks lead father away, but she wondered what the point was to look further. "I think we should head back" she said to the two of them, "There's no point heading so far away from the others. It's clear that they are old scents, and the owners were long gone. We should go tell the others what we have found." Lyssa waited to hear the other's responses. She knew at least the Vicar felt similar about her opinion. They had traveled quite far to gain very little knowledge. Besides, they had a party to get back to.

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Ruby

POSTED: Thu May 16, 2019 5:58 pm

The sienna-tipped coyote shook her pretty head and the Vicar flicked her eyes away again to the surrounding forest. These tracks were old and, despite how the brush appeared to have been manipulated as though to purposefully hide them, there was little more evidence to suggest they were anything that they ought to worry about. For all she knew, they were wasting precious time and energy following nothing but the idea of a ghost.

"You would," Paninya shot back at Lyssa with a scoff and a rolling of her slate-colored eyes. She turned to Evelyn almost imploringly, though managed to remain cool. "We could tell 'em more if we kept on goin'," she suggested, glancing at Lyssa briefly.

But the Vicar shook her hooded head. "No," she replied. "Lyssa's right. There ain't nothin' more to tell than what we know." She turned her head to look at pointedly at the dark coydog, her singular amber eye flashing as though daring her to challenge her. Paninya met her gaze, but after only a beat the girl looked away again with a soft huff. "Let's get back now," she suggested, looking from the coydog to Lyssa before turning away from both of them and returning the way that they had come.

Whether malicious or not, others needed to know what it was that they had come upon.

OOC: We can probably wrap this up here! c:

[WC — 230]

Del Cenere Gang
Las Brasas
Mandi

Dead Topics