Shut my mouth and strike the demons

For Fennore

POSTED: Fri May 10, 2019 12:56 pm

[5+]

It wasn't running away, she just needed time to think. She knew better than anyone problems were inescapable, they found a way to follow you more closely than a wide-eyed pup without parental guidance. This was a brief reprieve from the child she had to guide in Virue. He'd let go of that reason he'd clung so closely to during their time in the coyote clan, she could see that. The threads that wrapped around every living thing had loosened for him. With nothing to lose he came at life one moment at a time because he knew time was of great importance. Of the essence and falling away fast, but his priorities were not hers. She was her own, and he had found one more way to drag her through the mud.

First on the list was to show up at her new home with a rose and declare a love for her she didn’t even know if she could return. Rialu hadn't really made up her mind, the only thing coming of it was shakes of the head, a dash of deprecation, and even a time afterward to reel away at the sour aftertaste. She always fell back, because she was not gravity she was the lack thereof, she pushed away from the complicated twists of her heart. Push away to the bitter reaches were no one could see her weakness, and the destination: the Wabanaki coast, with a smoke in hand, no plans save to drag back a handful of hare carcasses and just do what she did best. Even then at the back of everything was the question, the frustration of, why did he do what he'd done? He had made a confession in a vulnerable position, and it was up to her to just sort her feelings out knowing he was sick. His voice was withering away as was his mind, but his soul stayed the same and always would. Damn his perfect soul.

Nearing the lake she smelled that her traps had been successful. But each one she came to had been picked clean. A small ravaged carcass freed from the simple twine and twig traps. Her ginger hairs stood at the sight of big tracks, head instantly on a swivel in search of the culprit when she spotted a bear cub wandering the shoreline, fat nose prodding the wet earth for fish remains. Rialu crouched down, no longer welcome here with monsters on patrol having stolen her game. Then she saw the mother appear from the brush opposite to the grand lake, and her blood went from hot to cold with one glimpse of black thin lips and wiry fur. She sputtered out a few short, panicked breaths, backed herself into a small trunk using her legs, and fumbled out her bow so she could load an arrow. But she could not get a grip, shakily placing the ammunition on the notch to the sound of her heartbeat. She could hear the fear in her ears one blip at a time.

It noticed her and pushed out four colossal breaths like it ran on steam, dark marble eyes glassy and attentive before it growled out a gruff and powerful warning, stepping closer. Get away from my child. But she did not heed, she couldn't understand, not under the hard press of terror which made her arrow finally straighten enough, but she didn't shoot. She mirrored her own growl back, teeth to the open air with a fight to pick. An arrow plunged into flesh would only make her fury stronger.
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

POSTED: Sun May 12, 2019 9:40 pm

A PROMISE CARVED IN STONE, DEEPER THAN THE SEA

Fennore was prone to wandering from the main camp often, as staying still was not particularly in her nature. Not that there was anything wrong with Iomair's group or the people in it, just that she needed some fresh air. Often. Daily, actually. But she would always come back, never empty handed, as she made it a point to return to the refugee group with something that could aid the others — she offered to find small game, fill waterskins, maybe sometimes scout for information. Though in the end these were just means to sate her restless mind.

Perhaps when Caledonia came together a bit more her escapades would settle down a bit, but there was really no telling.

Macha padded behind her wolf companion gleefully as they explored the familiar territory, Fennore having visited the lake in the past few weeks. The gray feline seemed excited to visit the large body of water, having a strange affinity to splashing around for reasons beyond Fennore's comprehension, but somewhere along the way, her attention was drawn elsewhere. She seemed to sense something, maybe having caught a scent of some sort, and Fennore quirked a brow at the cat as she froze in place, sniffing the air. "Is everything alright?" she asked with feigned interest, but the cat didn't respond, instead continuing to smell and dart her eyes around.

Then she finally shot a glance back at the wolfess, for once not smiling. And this struck Fennore as very odd indeed.

She darted off in an adjacent direction, leaving the Celtic woman little time to collect herself and run after her. She knew Macha was quite impulsive at times, but this seemed... different. She couldn't quite place it, but the feline was almost always happy, always beaming brightly and innocently — so what was getting to her? More importantly, why was she leading them to it?

Eventually Fennore began to smell it, too; the scent of fear, a Luperci, animal carcasses, and something unfamiliar. Another mammal, to be sure, but one she couldn't quite recognize. And soon she could see them in the distance, a ginger-furred woman holding a bow haphazardly at — a bear? Was she fighting a bear? And Macha was going toward them? What was her plan, exactly? What could a cat do to a bear?

She would have to deal with Macha later. Really she could've just snatched the feline up and turned tail right there, leaving this stranger to fight her own battle. It wasn't like she could do anything to that thing anyway. But perhaps she could do — well, something. Fennore stopped just a few feet away from the encounter, mouth in a perpetual frown, eyes narrowed, with little time to think. The bear seemed to be quite agitated at this newcomer intruding, taking a menacing step forward towards the two women, saliva dripping from her canines.

!! scary bear shenanigans let's goooo | [wc — 486] template by hilli
avatars by Abby, Kiri, and Nat • signature by Despi
New Caledonia
Privileged
veldt
'Souls Soldier of Love Luperci
Songs from the Wood

POSTED: Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 pm

[3+]

All while the Avarice woman just stared blankly into the light in its eyes, the tiny glinting sunsets, empty and black as how she remembered them. Blood dribbled down the left side of her lips and she realized she had bitten the inside of her cheek raw. Her tongue swept around inside, tasting the metallic liquid like a fine wine or a smooth chaser she could take to stop the screeching terror pulling her guts apart. “N-n-no.” Was what she managed to say in one breathy whisper, and then something came into the picture too quickly for her level of comprehension there in the moment where everything was spinning violently from her control, and cocked her weapon with the swiftness that came with expertise, and the unthinking reaction that came with everything else. The arrow sailed forth and sunk into the fat side of a tree to the left of whatever it was, and what it happened to be was a woman approaching from neutral ground. Her mind ran numb with guilt and shame, but it was not a time to feel bad, not in times like this. “F-fuck!” Rialu spat, blinking the illusion of a second threat away as fast as it had come.

Rialu inched towards her, red eyes glossed like a lost child high on some drug they’d found on the floor. “Don’t stand there, help me dumbass!” She shot fiery, but shaky all the same in that cock-eyed mix of panic. She fumbled around with another arrow in her quiver, and when she yanked it free two more came with it and spilled at her feet, but she did not notice them, only the sound of blood in her head, and the bear’s rumble. She aimed at the beast, fired, missed, loaded again, missed again. She felt light-headed. Was she about to die? Panic pushed through her veins still, and the bear turned to see the newcomer there and it roared again with more fervor. It did not like two obstacles opposed to the one. The bear cub was hidden off somewhere on the shoreline, behind a rock, a bush wherever it could run and hide and wait for momma to chase off the baddies.
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

POSTED: Tue May 21, 2019 11:07 pm

She was panicking, this much Fennore knew. Sure, the wolfess was not enjoying the situation, but this stranger was perhaps a bit more scared of bears than she. And this was only accented by the fact one of her stray arrows came narrowly close to piercing right through her chest. A growl escaped Fennore's lips as she briefly let her irritation and anger show to the other woman, but it was fleeting; there wasn't time to dwell on her overreaction.

Her nerves even seemed to cause her to lash out verbally at Fennore, which took her by surprise. She was just scared, she knew, but that didn't lessen the blow — what was she to do? There was no way they were going to take down a fully grown bear, not without a fight, and that was a fight that Fennore was definitely not willing to take on anyway. Her stoicism was quickly giving way to a deep scowl as she watched with tense muscles as the woman tried again and again to shoot at the beast, again and again missing. She was starting to lose it.

This was stupid. Her being there was stupid. This woman trying to fight a bear in the first place was stupid.

"Enough of this," she barked sharply, and with a fluid motion she scooped up Macha in one arm and forcibly grabbed the woman with the other. Immediately she took off to the woods, running as fast as her two legs could take her, and anytime the stranger lagged or started to falter she only jerked her arm and kept her up to speed. And Fennore didn't stop running until the neared the edge of the tree line, the roar of the bear beginning to die down, the fatigue of their plight catching up to her. She spilled the cat back on the ground and released her iron grip on the woman, and she tried to quiet her breath as she listened with perked ears, sniffed the air.

The bear presumably didn't see much use in giving chase. They were safe for now.

Fennore sighed deeply, her chest rising and falling in rapid succession as she caught her breath. An accusatory glare was shot at the woman, and she sneered bitterly. "You're welcome," she said simply, deadpan. "Is there any particular reason you were in that situation in the first place? Did you suppose your arrows would be enough?" Macha, perhaps to counter Fennore's biting words, moved slowly to approached the frightened Luperci, and she gently rubbed against the woman's leg. "Safe, now," the cat said sweetly, her smile returning as she watched the stranger.

ooc | [wc — 449] template by hilli
New Caledonia
Privileged
veldt
Songs from the Wood

POSTED: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Then something gripped her hard from black clouds, wind, teeth, fingers. It was the latter, and Rialu did not know what had her but she did struggle. Flailing her body erratically she pulled free for one last shot at the bear, if only to load another arrow and fire it off a rock with daft, shaky hands.

Once the cover of trees hid them away and the scent of bear receded into the fog inside her head, Rialu wrung her hands like they were coming off frostbitten and hyperventilated in a wide circle. She turned to the other woman there, her saviour, but also her aggressor. The hybrid’s eyes glared at her. The fear had risen, and as it cascaded it twisted to find a new focus, in a low rolling grumble pulled from her throat, she revealed what it had become. “I set traps.” But that's not all she wanted to let spill out, she wanted to yank the other woman on the shoulders for interfering with her attempts on a wild load of meat and fur. But it was not just that, it was...something else entirely running through matchstick veins that had set her alight.

Then she rubbed a shoulder awkwardly, face looking down to be shadowed over. “I don’t...miss. What the fuck?” Rialu grumbled quietly. Should have could have would have shot the damn thing if but what. She looked like she might have been crying, but she did not do such things, especially around random strangers.

She turned to set herself down against the broad side of a tree, dropping her bow in a sassy plop adjacent. A smoke already being brought out, she rubbed at her side, two fingers in a pouch on her belt but there was nothing left. Rialu rubbed her head, a sigh falling out, falling in and out of focus, the shakes still lurking in the nooks of her spine. “I-I...would’ve killed it…” the huntress fought a crooked smile that came with a low burning in the stomach, looking at Fennore with disdain. “You shouldn’t have touched me, you had no right. I would have killed that damn monstre!”
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

POSTED: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:56 am

Macha's attempts of coddling seemed to fall short compared to the feelings of fear and anger the hybrid felt; as she stole away to settle by a trunk, the small cat tilted her head curiously, her gray tail flicking as she padded back to her master's side and remained there. The wolfess regarded the stranger warily, with a quirked brow and slight frown, as she fumbled around with a cigarette, her face screwed up in a mix of misplaced contempt — well, misplaced to Fennore, anyway. Her other remarks had remained unanswered up until this point so she had a moment to settle down, but now the white woman felt it appropriate to lay into her again, however pointedly and pseudo-politely she did so.

"I don't believe you would have made it out of there unscathed," she chided, having caught her breath and her demeanor receding to its ordinary stoic state. "You were panicking, it was very... obvious." Her slender arms crossed over her bust, and she leaned into one hip with a bit of perceivable sass.

"Don't worry, the next time you find yourself with a bear, I'm sure no one will be there to drag you out again," she added cynically, though her tone remained unwavering and even. Macha was still staring at the other female with wide, jade eyes, and she mewed quietly as she arched her back against Fennore's leg, looking for scratches, though she did not pet her for several more moments as she watched the red-eyed woman.

Finally, she decided it wise to change the subject. "May I at least have your name?" Considering I saved you, she failed to tack on, though that would have just riled her up further.

ooc | [wc — 294] template by hilli
New Caledonia
Privileged
veldt
Songs from the Wood

POSTED: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:53 am

Rialu balked under Fennore's response. She had raised her voice in frustration, and had gotten what she deserved in return, but she had dismissed all ideas of weakness, in its place was, "I don't need this from you okay, I've worked for long enough at this to know when I miss, when I've messed up." Frankly, she missed a lot. A hunter who is afraid of bears, that was the pathetic part of herself she wished to cut away at a whim. It was just another weakness of hers, waiting to get someone--or Rialu killed.

She looked at her rescuer again, away and back, she waggled the unlit cigarette between her fingers and made a sour face. "Maybe I didn't care that on this day I get murdered by a bruin." If only a shot had connected, then none of this would have mattered.

"My name is Rialu." The red woman introduced, standing up and tucking the roll of tobacco beside her ear with a small nod. "An you?"

Rialu's throat cleared. "I uh, I'm grateful for the help." She managed, nearly muttering and wincing just slightly because it wasn't every day she admitted needing help at all. The Avarice was content getting along by herself in a hunt, though company was sometimes appreciated...canine company.
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Jordan
Luperci Mate to Virue

POSTED: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Again the stranger bucked at Fennore's seemingly sensible words; and as much as that could have irked her, perhaps it was a bit warranted. Besides, she was that huntress here, but — well, that didn't excuse her not being able to keep it together around a bear, if she really had "worked for long enough" at this sort of thing.

No matter. Being stubborn was at least marginally better than being dead. And somewhere deep down the red woman must have realized that, for she began to slightly loosen up. Fennore's own indignation did not falter with the presumed change of heart, but her tone lost a bit of its edge when she returned the belated greeting: "I am Fennore."

The apology was unexpected but still welcomed, though her white face gave little of this satisfaction away; nevertheless, the she-wolf returned the curt nod to Rialu, gesturing down to the feline weaving between her legs. "Macha would have never forgiven me if I didn't offer to assist." The cat meowed automatically when she heard her name called, and she looked at Rialu curiously once more.

ooc | [wc — 294] template by hilli
New Caledonia
Privileged
veldt
Songs from the Wood

Dead Topics