he who strikes

POSTED: Thu May 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Against the endless blue of the sky there was only one interruption, and Oberyn was not foolish enough to chance looking into the sun even though he often found himself looking up as birds passed overhead.

Though he was a tall wolf, the grass reached to his belly and in some places even further. Oberyn delighted in places like this, for he liked to dart about and hide. He was becoming very good at this – he had been learning from a young age and despite now lacking true purpose, pushed himself to perform well. Alone, it was easy to forget the pressures of being watched and having people worry about him.

His head no longer hurt as it had, but his dreams remained strange things. Disturbed by them, Oberyn often went further and further, seeking to free his mind by exhausting his body.

This worked most of the time.

His paws ached a little, and he had been thirsty, so when he found the stream that led from the lake Oberyn settled to rest.

That's what he had been doing when the she-wolf appeared.

Oberyn saw her before she saw him. Closer to the edge of the shore the black shape was out of sorts in the unforgiving sun. She was not entirely black – white speckled her face and chest, suggesting her age the same way her lean frame did.

They regarded one another for a few long moments before she hurriedly drank from the stream. Oberyn got to his feet. Slowly, cautiously, friendly signs were exchanged. He approached her with a new edge. He didn't know if he had ever been this way around strangers before, but it seemed so reasonable now.

Are you from around here? She asked him. Her voice was lower than he expected.

Sort of. Are you?

No.

What are you doing here?

I was looking for water, was her obvious answer. Oberyn grunted a little and she sniffed deeply at the air between them. He stepped forward to do the same, though stopped when something off about her's muddled the fresh air between them. You smell like others, the woman told him.

I live with others.

Do you?

POSTED: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:09 pm

lmk if I need to change anything!

"He does."

The large wolfdog's approach was not stealthy. The open fields afforded some camouflage where the sun had scorched the grass to gold-green; between this and the wind's favor, it seemed Oberyn had not noticed his father. Skoll was content to maintain a distance, blazing his own trails through the meadow as he licked up bugs and rolled around in odorous patches of dirt, but he kept his eye out.

He did not creep up on the conversation so much as bounded toward it like a lion sleepy from sun-baking, but he halted a distance away. A grin curled on his grizzled face.

The she-wolf was not young, either. She was beautifully dark (so what if Skoll had a type?) and thin in the fashion of other loners. Skoll remained suspicious, openly so for the blatant falsehood of his smile. His tail flopped over his back in a wave, and after he assessed the situation for a moment, he crouched and dipped his head to drink loudly from the stream, too. He'd let Oberyn take the lead.

TOP OF THE WORLD, BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN
THEY BUILT YOU UP AND BROKE YOU DOWN AGAIN
SO NOW YOU HOPE TO BEAT THE SURF IN

Raze
Luperci heliophagy You Tried: A Reward for Doing the Thing SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2019 Champion!
devour the sun
tarnished prince

POSTED: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:04 pm

When one looked at the pair, it became apparent that Oberyn and the older male were of common blood. There was more wolf in the yearling, but not enough to truly matter. Skoll's remaining eye was close in color to his son's, and if not for his darker cape Oberyn might have sprung from his father's reflection.

The she-wolf was looking between the pair. Her eyes were bright enough that Oberyn could see the way she must have been sorting it out – comparing the skinnier, younger man with the wolfdog lapping at the stream.

I haven't seen anyone else.

Where did you come from? Oberyn asked. He was old enough to know better than to be direct, but he now answered to no one and sought power for himself where it could be seized.

North.

Are you by yourself?

She snorted. Oberyn frowned. As she fixed him with a stern expression, he found himself examining the question and – as he seemed to realize by the way his ears flared back briefly – recognizing it lacked tact.

Oh, I don't think I'll be causing your lot any trouble, týpek, the woman answered instead. Though he could not understand the word, Oberyn recognized it was some sort of insult. The fur between his shoulders bristled even as the black wolf sat down. She looked beyond him, towards Skoll. Has there been trouble?

POSTED: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:22 pm

()

Skoll cocked his chipped ear toward the conversation as cold water splashed into his mouth and dribbled down his scruffy white chin. The snort made him lift his head, glancing toward the she-wolf as she sat down and glanced past the youngster, his way; perhaps more interested in heeding what another experienced adult had to say. However, Skoll was hardly more tactful than his son.

(He knew better too, of course, but he had ceased answering to anyone and had seized dominance long before his son began exploring their newfound freedom.)

"Yep," the wolfdog replied, cheerfully. "We're all that remains of a grand old pack, tu sais, a group of sad stragglers easily taken advantage of." Dark humor glinted in the shadows between large yellow teeth, and he stared at her directly, as if to challenge her. Somehow, laying out their weaknesses bluntly made them feel less like weaknesses; he was a strong enough man to bare his scars and still survive.

What Oberyn thought of this tactic, Skoll didn't know, but he was definitely uncomfortable with finding out. Luckily, his son was on his blind side.

"What's your name, la belle?" His grin gave no indiciation whether this was meant to be mocking. "Have you travelled for very long?"

Raze
Luperci heliophagy You Tried: A Reward for Doing the Thing SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2019 Champion!
devour the sun
tarnished prince

POSTED: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:15 pm

His father's taunts were not lost on Oberyn. There was some dark humor in their plight, for despite losing their pack to the conflict those who remained were victorious survivors. It showed. Skoll was a fierce looking thing, and his yearling son was still filling into his large frame.

Encouraged by the elder man's dominant aura and casual behavior, the darker of the pair seemed to relax ever-so-slightly.

Well now, that's a terrible thing, the she-wolf said sincerely. But staying together is a blessing, so fortune has not fully left you. It has been a very long time since I have seen my home, and I've been traveling almost as long as that, if yous can believe it. My name is Nikola, and the way she pronounced this was a little strange, like the way she talked. It was all at once, like she was trying to shove the words together.

Oberyn returned his own name freely enough, but this was all the more he said. He glanced at Skoll, obviously hoping his father would take the lead on sharing exactly who they (and the sad stragglers they belonged to) were with the blue-eyed woman.

POSTED: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:20 am

()

"Skoll Haskel," the large wolfdog offered, and stepped away from the stream with one last noisy lick of his chops. He sat down in front of Nikola, close to his son, and sized her up in a more languid, relaxed way. "It is a blessing, isn't it," he agreed, glancing at Oberyn before he gave his shaggy mane a shake. "And you've been alone all that time? Searching for something, or running from something?" His white brows raised, though he wouldn't press for specifics.

"We call ourselves the Petite Cour—the little court. We're family, most of us." Slowly he was accepting the outsiders like Hibiki, though his intense hunt with Tora had made him very wary of the damaged man. "Just surviving together for now, like the old days"—as if Skoll had been anything but a prince his whole life—"until we get back on our feet." Then he didn't know where they would go, what they would do.

He was still thinking about seaside tours.

Raze
devour the sun
tarnished prince

POSTED: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Oberyn offered up his own name not long after his father and from the way Nikola looked between them gathered she figured out they were related.

Skoll explained their situation in simple terms. He left out so much that Oberyn ached, thinking of all the unspoken horrors that had occurred as Cour des Miracles rushed towards its end. He ignored the headache and looked forward, trying to size up the blue-eyed woman as she explained herself.

I've gone where the spirits take me, Nikola told them. She said this plainly, as if it was a simple thing that she truly believed. But no one has chased me here, no. It's getting crowded in many places, and not all of them are friendly. I'm not trouble, not for your nor your family. There's plenty of space around here, isn't there?

She was forceful when she spoke, as if she expected them to deny her. Oberyn wondered if others, like the group which had assaulted his own home, had made sport of a loner who could less easily defend herself.

Dead Topics