young, scrappy, and hungry

Adrianna~

POSTED: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:15 am

come to meeeee

In the warmer months night fell at a languid pace, slowly steeping the world in rich blues and violets until the bright hues of day were finally whisked out of sight. It was a relief not to need a fire anymore, but Calrian liked to have the light to review his notes. He was building something great, although for now it was just a scattering of ideas and smudged sketches, dreams he wanted to grab by the fistful and make real by the might of his own hands. And he would, soon, he just needed more time.

The Captain made a soft yawn beside him and snuffed out the last of his smokes. He would often sit out by the fire in silence, listening if Calrian needed an ear for his ideas, but for the most part did nothing except watch the evening pass. The liquor had long run dry, which Calrian had to imagine made it hard for him to stick around, even if it seemed like he didn't mind. Sometimes having nowhere else to go was a good thing, he thought.

What about this: we hire some ladies to dance with the guests in a big space, like here, he held out his crude drawing, and Griffin took it gingerly into his hands. He acted like he didn't give a damn, but he always handled the possessions of others with care, regardless of the quality.

Well, sure, if you can scrounge up the goods to compensate the ladies for their effort up front, since no respectable lady is gonna take a promise from us very seriously. He scratched at his throat, And you'll have find a place that makes them feel safe, or else they won't come back.

Calrian nodded, jotting these notes down, and Griffin went on, I think you're going to have to find a way to bring in folks without paying anyone up front. You know, something that doesn't take much for us to start, but can keep us going for a long time.

He sighed and sat back, fingers tapping the stick of charcoal against his mouth. An empty stomach made it hard to think, but he had to come up with something. He grinned at the Captain, I think I liked you better as a drunk.

Griffin snorted a laugh, Well, that makes one of us.

San
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:39 am

--

They were quiet on the large mare that had been plodding along diligently for the last hour or so. The pace wasn't spectacular but Vivian was overly kind to the horse. Not like the pair were in much of a rush to get anywhere but away from where they had been. The younger woman held the reins while Adrianna fiddled with a length of beading and braided strings. Her cat lay behind her on the horse's rump, curled up between the packs that had been settled there.

The sky had grown pinker and pinker until darkness started to settle in. Adrianna had to admit defeat when squinting at her beading started that little needling behind her eyes that suggested a headache was imminent.

I think we should settle down for the night, she said in her accented voice. Despite so much work on the continent, she had never quite managed to throw away the Italian lilt to her voice. Not that being different and exotic in her line of work was a hindrance.

Vivian hummed as she twitched the reins over a bit, her eyes clearly set on something in the distance. Adrianna blinked before she realized that the faint red she saw was not because of the squinting but of a fire nearby. From their position, she could not smell more than the faint aroma of smoke. Then came the scent that told her it was men by the fire. Something was familiar about it but she failed to place it at that moment.

They both quietly dismounted and Vivian turned toward the older woman. Adrianna adjusted the string of beads and knots around her neck to drape more noticeably over her chest, adjusting tangles strands. They were both in more rustic travel clothes and their nicer attire was packed away from the road dust. They would have to make do. Vivian adjusted the bust hem of her thin, worn, mauve dress to tuck beneath her ample chest as Adrianna hitched up the skirt of her grey dress up and tied it in a knot that drew the eye to her narrow waist.

They were professionals, in the end. After a quick last glance, Adrianna lead them toward the fire, hip swaying subtly. She was once a noble Roman woman and she had long mastered the way aristocrats played the seduction game. It had just taken time to really refine it, was all.

They sauntered up to the fire with Vivian pulling the mare forward. That courtesan smile was plastered on Adrianna's face with her eyes lidded heavily. She was just so ready to exact every ounce of charm on the men when she realized why it had felt familiar.

Well, well, well. I'm impressed that you still haven't been eaten by bears. And you look like someone's been taking some sort of care of you. Then, she laughed and launched herself towards Calrain. That seductive pretense fell so fast that Vivian had to pause in surprise as her madam tried to hug what they had assumed were perfect strangers.

Adrianna Julia
So let go of wrong and right, cause who wants, who wants, who wants to dance all night?

Player WikiCharacter Wiki

Gen
Luperci
more than just a dance

POSTED: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:34 am

Maybe you should call it quits for tonight.

Ah, that's probably a good idea, Calrian rubbed the bridge of his nose and folded the parchment back into his pocket. They had stopped talking about plans some time ago, having drifted onto the topic of futures and people they once knew. The night had deepened too, and shallow blues had become impenetrable blacks, the sounds of the woodlands dampened by the lingering humidity of a day long gone.

The two men were stretching and rising to their feet when the women arrived, and they both turned around with similar dumbfounded looks. It was clear they weren't expecting any sort of company, not at this hour, and probably not any hour given their unkempt appearances. Even Calrian, who was so meticulous about his looks, had let his standards slip as his attentions poured into other endeavors.

By the time recognition caught up to his expression, Adrianna was throwing herself into his arms. He caught her reflexively, and thankfully the action had shaken him from his state of shock. They might have tried to take a bite of us, He laughed, enveloping her in a fond embrace. But no one's been as good to us as you. We missed you, Adrianna.

Griffin, who had come to stand awkwardly to the side, glanced toward the other woman. She seemed equally clueless as to what was going on, perhaps even a little disappointed at the turn of events. He nodded to her, careful not to look where he shouldn't, and then grabbed a fresh cigarette from his shirt pocket. The night was going to go a lot differently, he figured, and he needed to prepare for that. After taking a drag, he gestured to Vivian as if to say, want some?

What brings you back out here? Calrian asked as he pulled apart, his eyes eagerly searching Adrianna's face for a hint. And who have you brought along? He peered over her shoulder toward Vivian, and flashed his infamous Golden smile.

San
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:33 pm

--

Adrianna gave him those neapolitan cheek kisses that were hardly anything more intimate than a greeting between friends. She pulled away from him with a broad grin on her face. She had never considered any of the boys of the Troupe as anything more than friends, but she was so darn pleased to see someone she actually recognized.

Meanwhile, Vivian accepted the cigarette with a smile, taking it delicately between pale fingers before expertly taking a drag. She pointedly eyed the man as she opened her mouth to let the smoke curl out in more skillful whisps than a casual smoker might have bothered to practice making.

Oh, don't pull those eyes on him, Vivi. He's not a client, she tittered at the young woman, who had to shrug as she handed back the cigarette to the man. Her gaze and posture shifted noticeably, though, and she adjusted her dress to a more comfortable position and sighed. She quickly dug in the nearest saddlebag and pulled out a rather full skin of liquid.

Praise Jesus, because after riding on that horse all day my rump feels as flat as a plank and twice as sore, it surely does, she said in her southern drawl. Her accent seemed to be a hodgepodge collective that was difficult to place, but Adrianna had never been adept at placing the location for those accents outside of the European continent. Vivian du Prix, charmed to meet ya'll, she introduced as she sat herself by the fire and pulled out the cork. The faint aroma of peach and alcohol came wafting from her direction.

She'll be a much better companion compared to Nico, Adrianna said with great affection, nodding toward the younger woman with a smile. She was more affable and sweeter than her former lover and bodyguard. Sure, she was not as well protected without him, but she was far better company without his gloomy scowls and snide comments. And Vivi was the start of her own business. One day, she would have a bigger collective of girls and maybe even a boy or two in some prominent place living in comfort and providing a safe place to conduct her work.

How are the other boys? And who is this tall pine tree you have here? she asked, finally turning her attention properly to Griffin. He was definitely new.

Adrianna Julia
So let go of wrong and right, cause who wants, who wants, who wants to dance all night?

Gen
Luperci
more than just a dance

POSTED: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:54 am

It was usually difficult to place Calrian's real feelings for a person due to his warm and receptive demeanor, but it was abundantly clear that his affection for Adrianna was genuine. She was their Princess, and they were hers; it was the kind of bond that the road made of strangers, one forged in the blood, sweat, and salt of their sometimes (often) fruitless pursuits.

Griffin had no such love for any of these people, not even the starry-eyed poet with whom he had shared so much of his life before this one. Even so, he appreciated the moment with a half-smile, betraying the softness of his heart before Vivian's evocative gesture captivated something else of him entirely. The hairs on the back of his neck settled when Adrianna, like snuffing out a candle, told her to cut it out.

If not Adrianna, then surely the girl's abrupt candor would have relieved Griffin just the same. Calrian noticed the Captain sink into his cigarette, relief puffed one after the other into the night.

It's a pleasure, Vivian, Calrian replied, his tail waving cheerfully behind him. My name's Calrian. I'm the Broker of this humble Troupe of performers. After a thought, he added with a laugh, Although most of them are out and about right now. We aren't that humble, I should say. He glanced back to Adrianna with a sheepish grin. Things hadn't changed very much at all in her absence.

Gracefully, she went on to fill him in, and he nodded his approval of her assessments. He wondered, given her tone, if something had happened between her and her bodyguard that might have caused them to part ways, though he said nothing of it. It wasn't his place to delve into her personal life, and he had no complaints about her new companion. Vivian was perfect for their group, and perfect for his new plans. It was as if Lady Luck had finally heeded his prayers.

Attentions turned to Griffin, who had seated himself on the log tangential to Vivian's and was on his second cigarette. He nodded toward Adrianna, This tall pine tree's called Griffin. Then he turned toward Vivian, motioning towards her drink. You got any of that, except without the sweet part?

They're doing ok, Calrian answered, scratching at his throat. I mean, we've been better.

He turned to Adrianna and lowered his voice. Are you uh, are you two looking to hang around with us a while? He tried not to sound so hopeful, but he was still very young and they were all very hungry. He knew they hadn't meant to come across their camp, which meant they could have easily gone anywhere else. We've got plans, you see. Grand ideas. I think you'll both find our plans very attractive, and rewarding, if you decide to stay with us. If that's not too sudden.

San
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:35 pm

--

Performers. The word made her smile with more pleasure than it might have a scant half-year past. She had slowly come to fully embrace the role in the world that she had chosen for her own. It had been a means to an end at the beginning, but it ended up as something she was actually good at. It was one of her few abilities and she had honed it enough to decisively say that she was indeed a performer, even if her acting was not on a stage but between every silver word.

Pleasure to meet you, Griffin, she said with her accent heavier on his name than anything else. It was not something that frequented her tongue and she could not keep her native language from hanging over the consonants. And I think we do, added Adrianna when she saw Vivi's glance toward the saddle bags. It was but a moment for her to retrieve a warped glass bottle that suggested canine manufacture with a cork in the top.

Easiest work for that one, snorted the southern belle as Adrianna passed Griffin the bottle of muddled dark alcohol. Rum, supposedly, but neither women had asked the man and his woman for more details. The weirdos always want the strangest things that aren't that much of a chore. Her shoulders shrugged and she didn't seem at all bothered by the memory of what that couple had asked of her. Easiest work, indeed. People that thought themselves depraved but had never really delved into the truly dark things.

Adrianna's face was colored with concern when she turned from the seated man to Calrain. But he quickly moved on before she could voice her worries. Her head tilted slightly to the side, making her hair cascade somewhat in a light wave. Oh? What exactly are you planning? She was unable to hide the curiosity, mostly because she chose not to. She settled herself down beside Vivian who offered the skin to Adrianna.

Truth be told, she had been looking for the Troupe, but she just had to tease the young man for a while longer.

Adrianna Julia

Gen
Luperci
more than just a dance

POSTED: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Pleasure's mine, Griffin replied kindly. Whether he was on his best behaviour because they had something for him to drink or because he hadn't yet had anything to drink was still a mystery. He had been sober for some time, since the booze had run dry, and Calrian was only beginning to piece together the type of person he was when his vices were in check. Calrian said nothing even as they brought out his requested drink - he was not in the business of telling others how to live their lives.

Griffin's brow raised to Vivian's comment as he took the glass from her. While he didn't have to guess at their profession, he did have to wonder what an easy job compared to a hard job meant in their line of work. Either way, he gave it a small sniff after removing the cork top, which made a satisfying pop! It was rum. Much obliged, ladies, Griffin said, raising the drink to Vivian and Adrianna before taking a deep swig.

Calrian found himself following Adrianna's lead, seating himself beside her rather than next to Griffin. It was easier to talk business this way, and well, frankly, he quite relished the chance to be in close quarters with women after months on the road with smelly boys. Not that Malik ever seemed to mind as much; it was a difference in taste, he figured.

Well, it's rather indescribable, but I can show you, he said, tugging out the bits of parchment in his breast pocket. He handed them off to her to unravel and inspect, although having seen these plans a thousand or more times, his own gaze came to study her expression. As fun as the road has been, I think our Troupe could flourish more with a bit of stability. What if audiences came to us?

Griffin had heard Calrian's ideas too many times to be interested in his pitch. He turned to Vivian instead, who was easier on the eyes and the ears. I've heard your accent before, when my old crew stopped at the ports down south. What's your story, Miss Vivian du Prix? How'd you wind up here?

If Adrianna and her friend would join them again, Calrian was sure his ideas would be a success. I've been scouting around these areas, and well, I think I've found a place that we could make our own. But I need you to make it a success. He scooched closer, a bright smile gracing his handsome, roguish face. You belong with us, Adrianna. We aren't royalty without our Princess.

San
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:39 pm

--

Vivian chuckled at the man as he happily tucked into the offering, though Adrianna's attention was decidedly more focused on Calrain than anything the other man was doing. She watched him pull out paper from his pocket, the folds clearly well worn. That he had opened and closed the bits often was enough to even further excite her. Vivi, meanwhile, was enjoying relaxing and staring at the fire with an occasional glance around her.

Adrianna's brow raised in question. An audience come to them? That meant a tavern or a bar or something of the sort. An inn. Her mind already started racing with all the possibilities that they could have at their disposal with a place that was not a goddamn caravan! Her eyes sparkled, almost greedily, but it was the faint waving of her tail behind her that gave away just how interested she was.

I think that's a fantastic idea, she exclaimed, clapping her hands together once and practically preening with pleasure. It did not hurt that the man practically flattered her out of her clothes, calling her their princess. She had been a noble once, used to such a thing, but she was definitely no blueblood any longer with the life she had chosen for herself. And she had chosen it. It was not forced on her.

It was her talent and she was happy to embrace the oldest and noblest of traditions.

Meanwhile, Vivian chuckled into her peachy concoction when Griffin had focused on her. She was, after all, following Adrianna. Whatever the older woman wanted to do, she would do, too. New Orleans, she drawled slightly, greatly exaggerating the accent. Mamma was the best darn Madam my papa ever could have hoped for, but they sure did not think I'd follow them into the business. But it's an easy business and I surely would be stupid not to use what I know. Vivi arched her back somewhat, accentuating her chest, before flopping back and laughing.

Adrianna eyed the curving of her body with mild disinterest, eye caught by the motion. But Vivi was a friend and a worker. Adrianna was her boss, of sorts. I think having a fixed place would be wise. That bar, in Amherst? Everyone knows about it. They all flock. She waved her hand in the air to mimic birds. And we can do business with them. It certainly would make our work easier, she added, gesturing between herself and Vivian. The other woman grunted in agreement.

Nothin' like a little hospitality to keep a body in their seats a little longer. Vivi raised her drink and put it to her mouth. Adrianna laughed. And keep them coming back for another taste. She looked at Calrain. Where is this place going to be? It was merely curiosity at that point; Adrianna was fully onboard with the idea, never mind the fact that she had hardly accepted joining the Troupe again. Also never mind the fact that she was relieved they were willing to have her back.

Adrianna Julia

Gen
Luperci
more than just a dance

POSTED: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:24 pm

Calrian's grin blossomed into a full on smile at Adrianna's exclamation. He adored praise, and he especially adored praise from the Troupe's only woman (prior to Vivian, that is). Her enthusiastic response was all but a yes to rejoining them, but he needed to hear that before he felt secure.

Griffin watched Vivian with an open but inscrutable expression. He wasn't the kind to reveal his hand too quickly around men, and Calrian couldn't imagine what kind of poker he played with women. As Vivian unveiled her background with a sensuous roll of her chest, the sailor's brow twitched. He waited a moment, and then took another swig of his drink.

New Orleans, huh, he remarked, I've heard that's a cozy town. Far from here, though. So, did your folks not like you taking up the family trade?

Although focused on Adrianna, Calrian kept the other two in his line of sight. At the mention of Biff's place, Calrian gave a slow nod. That is an idea, he agreed, fingers drumming against his chin in thought. He hadn't considered partnering with the venue, mostly due to the fact he was too poor to go there. It wouldn't make a good impression to strut into a place with a pauper's outfit, asking for business deals when he had nothing to offer yet. I could talk to them.

At Vivian's remark, Calrian clapped and laughed. I like you, Vivian! That's exactly the kind of attitude we need! In the background, Griffin finished off the rest of his drink. With his spirits lifted, he didn't sweat Adrianna's next question.

See, now this is what I've been doing the past few months, looking for the perfect spot. He answered eagerly. He drew another piece of folded paper out of his pocket, and on it were the crude drawings of the buildings and notes. And I found it. Right in the bottleneck between the north and south, there are old human ruins. It's great land, and the structures there aren't too bad. We can patch them up. We've got the manpower for it, He circled a finger around one H-shaped building. This one, I think, would be the best for our purposes. We can put the games on this side, and then the dance floor would be on this side. Guests would have to pass by the bar to get from one end to the other, which means easy targets for all of us.

That is, he said, smiling between Adrianna and Vivian. He needed to hear that yes. If you are both going to join us.

San
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:46 pm

--

Vivian gave the man a wink at his question, knowing that they were straying dangerously far into private territory. She may have been on the younger side of things, but she was more than a little bit world wary. The woman had grown up at the teat of a consummate prostitute and the knee of a pimp. She knew a thing or two about revealing her hand too soon, a lesson taught early and taught hard. Wouldn't you like to know? she replied simply, chuckling a little as her eyes shot back to her madam and Calrian.

Adrianna, meanwhile, stared sharply at the papers that were produced before her. The drawings were unrefined and it was clear that Calrian was no architect or draftsman, but Adri knew that not everyone could be. He did not have to be either of those things when they had a whole Troupe to fill in the spaces of knowledge and experience. The idea was sound enough, though, and it was very clear to her it had been thought out.

She put her fingers carefully at the end of the building's shape, pointing to where the bar was. I think a door, back here. Can lead to our private quarters? She looked up at him and then at Vivian. The southern harlot gave a slight nod at her, confirmation given by a singular gesture. We'll need a pair of rooms for our work, I think. Won't need to be fancy, but should be suitable enough to give privacy to our clients. Maybe a seperate building for where we'd actually sleep at night, she added, laughing slightly.

If ya'll can manage a room or two in the buildin' itself, that would be even better. Vivian peered over her drink at Calrian, brow raising somewhat at her suggestion. Adri nodded approvingly at her. She had not been too familiar with the brothels in Rome, but those had always been designed to their purpose for a reason. They would need to work alongside Calrian's interests for their own.

Adrianna beamed crookedly at him. I think that means we're both in, mio caro amico, she cooed, putting her hand on his opposite shoulder and squeezing. It'll be a success, I'm sure, guisto? Vivian nodded emphatically at her seat, still drinking as she did so.

Adrianna Julia

Gen
Luperci
more than just a dance

Dead Topics