up and at 'em

POSTED: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
for falcon! forward-dated to sometime in early november, it can be whenever works best for you <3 [+300]

Phoenix always felt his best early in the morning.

Now, waking up was not exactly his favorite part, but once he rolled out of bed, he felt right as rain. There was something special about the virgin sunlight spilling onto his shaggy fur, the gentle chittering of the birds in the treetops, the cool, refreshing dew tickling between his toes... If I could play guitar like Sedona I'd write a song about that. Reckon I could write a song anyway, though, just to say I did it.

He grabbed a bite for breakfast before shouting goodbyes to his sister from across her house and bouncing outside, a pep in his step as he made his way to the stables to see his boy.

Tohopka, meanwhile, was not a morning person.

Once the coymutt entered the stables he was not really surprised to find the stallion there waiting for him, muttering his misgivings in Low Speech and throwing his head in a distinct pout. He was hungry, he said, he was thirsty and he was tired. "You sure do complain a whole lot," Nick chuckled, grabbing hold of Toh's reins and leading him out into the open so he would stop wallowing.

And stop wallowing he did; as soon as he was on the soft grass, he sniffed at the ground a bit before buckling his legs and rolling onto his back.

"I — What the hell are y'doin', Toh?" The cowboy stared with a stupid grin on his face as the black horse flipped this way and that before getting back to his feet.

It was stretching, the horse replied in his lower tongue. But that only served to further Phoenix's giggles. "Yeah, alright, whatever you say. I thought you were havin' a breakdown or somethin'." Clicking his tongue, he coaxed Toh into following him outside of the stables with the promise of visiting Hopi, Sedona's mare — and Toh's little girlfriend, or so the mustang thought.

template by Andi, image by @thkelley
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
veldt
Luperci Equestrian I The Sound of Fury
Ride 'em, Cowboy!

POSTED: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:37 am

OOC :: Foredated to November 7th.
Words→ 307

Falcon grunted as she lifted a bundle of apple branches onto her bare shoulder. The wood smelled sweet where it had split from the tree, and its bark was damp from the rain; once it dried out, it would make fantastic firewood. The thought of burning it through the long, cold winter almost lifted her spirits—almost.

With Ezra’s papermill completed, and her packmates busy with their own lives, the Elkenfrey struggled to distract herself. It’s not like she didn’t have enough to do, far from it in fact; she just didn’t have anyone to do it with. For the first time in days, none of her packmates seemed to need her help. Falcon had plenty of pleasant conversations since she’d woken up that morning, but only one had steered her in the direction of work.

Well two, technically; most of the firewood was for Ezra, but she’d drop off the sturdier, more carvable branches with James. She always liked to kill two birds with one stone.

Falcon spotted Phoenix in the distance, his hair mussed and his smile easy, as he led his horse away from the stables. She wracked her brain to remember the animal’s name, but she couldn’t. It wasn’t Hopi because Hopi was Sedona’s horse. Maybe it started with a “T?” Falcon supposed it didn’t matter; she could always ask him.

”Hey Phoenix!” she called out, waving to the man with her free hand, ”How’s Sedona doing?” They’d gone from working together at the papermill site—which now seemed to tower over the orchard—to fretting over Sedona as she recovered from her injuries. She saw Phoenix more often than Sineria, and she couldn’t exactly barge into their house every day. Every other day, maybe, but not every day.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander
Pack Aide II Drakehund I They stole my dirty socks... :( Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:39 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
ooc! [+200]

"You sure are a hoot n' a holler, you know that, Toh?" This was probably a sentiment Nick had spoken to his horse a thousand times over, and even though the equine had no clue what it actually meant, to him it equated as something to roll his eyes at. The coymutt chuckled anyways at the mustang's antics, but soon after a voice from afar pulled his attention away.

Oh man, had someone seen that? Had someone else seen what Tohopka was up to? He was ready to give a snicker and jab his elbow into the horse's side with a "Will you get a load of this guy" but evidently Falcon had not in fact seen the horse's writhing, which was... admittedly a let-down, given how it tickled Phoenix, but oh well. "Mornin', Falcon!" he greeted heartily and returning the friendly wave.

He switched their trajectory and bee-lined over to his pack mate with the horse in tow. While Phoenix still didn't know him super well, he knew him well enough to jog over all the same.

"Oh, y'know, she's doin' her thang," he answered with a chuckle, stopping short of Falcon's personal space. Tohopka, meanwhile, seemed a bit antsy now that he had stretched and rid himself of tiredness. "She's always got somethin' goin' on, y'know?" Sedona was his pack role model. Or maybe just his role model in general.

"How 'bout you? Busy mornin'? You need some help with somethin'?" He was a bit hopeful, tail gently wagging behind him. Truthfully Phoenix was itching to get his hands on another project following the paper mill.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
veldt
Ride 'em, Cowboy!

POSTED: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:57 pm

OOC :: Words→ 329

”Is she healing okay? I can’t get her to sit down and talk for more than a minute or two,” Falcon tried to keep her expression neutral, but there was fear hiding in her blue-green eyes; she had seen Sedona on death’s door, bleeding out in the early morning gloom, and it had shaken her to her core. ”It’s… Really none of my business, but it’s hard not to be worried about my best friend.” The words had left Falcon’s lips before, but they’d never felt truer than they did now.

The Elkenfrey cocked her head at Phoenix’s question. ”When don’t I need help with something?” Falcon said with a flick of her tail. ”I’m always busy—I’m the pack’s resident errand girrr...” She trailed off and tried to look very distracted by something over Phoenix’s shoulder; it really was something, whatever it was. Falcon definitely wasn’t weighing the pros and cons of telling him, of letting the cat out of the proverbial bag, as she stared at nothing in particular. ”Girl. Sorry,” Falcon said, turning back to her packmate, ”I thought I saw something.”

Sedona, regardless of her condition, would tear Phoenix a new one if he had a problem with the truth. It was… Comforting.

”Anyway, are you serious about helping? I need to get this bundle to James so he can pick out his carving branches, and then I need to deliver the rest to Ezra. He might even treat us to some rum for our trouble.” Falcon said, her gaze shifting to the horse at Phoenix’s side. She didn’t want her packmate to leave him, but she didn’t know how keen the stallion was on playing delivery horse. ”Maybe you can saddle up… Tohopka? That’s his name, right? Saddle up Tohopka and tie the branches to his back.” It was worth suggesting, whether or not Phoenix agreed.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:33 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
falcon is awkward/naive pt. 1 & 2 [+645]

Oh yeah. That.

Phoenix tried not to think about it too much, mostly because Sedona didn't want him to. He had been doing a good job of pushing it from his mind once he left the house; focusing on Tohopka was a good remedy for that. But as soon as someone mentioned it, or he saw her, it was hard to escape it.

Naturally, he had been livid, at first. She was torn up pretty bad, and he was sick with worry and confusion and anger. He demanded to know what had happened, where it had happened, and most importantly, who did it — but to little response. Phoenix was not a fighter by nature, but he had never felt more desire to tear someone from limb to limb once he saw the state of his sister, who as far as he was concerned was his whole world in the Vale. The rest of his family was hundreds of miles away; Sedona was all he had.

"She's alright."His throat was dry, and his voice was more devoid of anything than it had been the entire conversation. He wanted to not talk about it and just pretend it never happened, but it was stupid of him to think that Falcon wouldn't ask about his sister. They were thick as thieves; why wouldn't he be wondering?

He coughed into the crook of his arm, green eyes pinned to the dirt. "She'll... get better. Soon. Just needs rest, is all." His words were stilted and awkward, quite a change of pace for the charming cowboy. "I know she don't want us t'worry, but. Y'know. Can't help it." The most they could do right now was keep her comfortable and pray she recovered. Hopefully all the remedies would kick in, and she'd be back in business; but Phoenix knew it'd never be quite the same for her following this incident.

"Just gotta keep movin' on, y'know?" He didn't even believe himself when he said it. "She's strong, she'll end up alright." But she didn't deserve what had happened to her. "I know she will." He was saying it to himself more than Falcon. A reassurance he wasn't entirely sure he believed in.

"I’m the pack’s resident errand girrr...”

His ears pricked up as Falcon's voice died down, and he cocked a brow at the other male. Male?

"Girl. Sorry." Female?

He chuckled, a little nervously. "It's uh, it's fine," he stumbled, feeling suddenly quite unsure of himself, but he grinned anyway. Right about how Phoenix thought he saw something, too, and his eyes couldn't lift up to find his friend's. "What do you, uh, mean by that, Falcon?" He looked like a guy, smelled like a guy... Was he not a guy? Was it just something he said, calling himself a girl? It wasn't that Phoenix saw it as strange, just that he didn't understand.

"Oh yeah, helpin'. 'M dead serious." Of course he was. Helping was his middle name. What did Falcon mean by calling himself a girl, though? "Sure, that sounds good," he answered automatically, half hearing the other luperci. "Toh's a big boy, he can carry a pretty hefty load if y'need him to." Sticks would be easy. Lighter than a fully grown man, anyway.

Boy. Man. What was Falcon?

"Just, uh, here, lemme show you." He turned to the stallion and rummaged around in the saddle bag, looking for some tack and rope to secure the branches and twigs. "This'll work, I think."

He busied himself by looping around the rope, at first to the protest of Toh, but he quickly whispered to the horse in Low Speech to ease his mind and quiet him down.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
veldt
Ride 'em, Cowboy!

POSTED: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:32 am

[+923]
Clipped wings, I was a broken thing

The Elkenfrey tilted her head as Phoenix spoke, an empathetic smile on her face. She wasn’t Sedona’s sister, not by blood, but she’d… She’d held her while she was bleeding out on the edge of town; she understood. ”I know she will, too. Sedona’s tough. She’ll get through this, and we’ll make sure she comes out like herself on the other side,” Falcon said. Sometimes the fear, the anger, the feeling of loss she just couldn’t shake… Sometimes it all threatened to overwhelm her, and she couldn’t even ask her best friend for help.

But Sedona would get through this, and so would she.

The conversation shifted, all because of a slip of the tongue and a choice, and now she had to see it through. Falcon looked every which way except for at Phoenix, as if she hadn’t brought his question on herself. She didn’t usually slip up around her packmates, and she certainly didn’t tell them the truth when—or if—they asked. The truth was reserved for people she trusted wholeheartedly and cute, drunk strangers who wouldn’t remember her in the morning.

One deep breath and one nonsense prayer layer, Falcon opened her mouth to explain. She opened her mouth, ready to tell Phoenix the truth that set her free, and nothing came out. Not a single, solitary, choked up, wheezed out, just above a whisper word.

Phoenix took mercy on her, intentionally or otherwise, and agreed to help deliver the branches. Falcon was grateful regardless; it would give her enough time to find her missing words. ”Thanks for the help,” she said, trying to ignore the way Phoenix kept looking at her. It wasn’t bad per say, she just… She just didn’t know if it was good either. He mostly seemed confused, and Falcon’s doubted her sudden, selective tongue-tied-ness was doing her any favors.

She planned to wait until Phoenix was done, but something about the soft, sweet way he spoke to Tohopka made it all come tumbling out. ”I, uh… I’m a girl. I don’t really look like one, but I am up here.” The pale-browed woman tapped her temple with her free hand, trying to sound calm and confident despite her nerves. ”When I told my mother, she said the gods must have played a trick on me. I… I don’t know if I believe that,” Falcon said, laughing nervously, ”but they certainly gave me a lot of thinking to do.” She eased the bundle of branches off of her shoulder and balanced it on her hip instead, just to have something to do.

See, that wasn’t so bad, Falcon assured herself, as if the scary part was over and instead of standing directly in front of her.

”It’s… Sort of a secret? Most of the pack doesn’t know, but Sedona and a few other friends do. I just don’t want anyone to judge me for it, or… Or not want my help anymore,” she admitted, frowning at the thought. Helping was all Falcon had, and if her packmates started declining her aid or avoiding her altogether… Well, she didn’t know what she’d do. Maybe she’d run away and live in the woods with Aenan and Alena. That seemed like a reasonable and well-adjusted thing to do when someone treated her unfairly.

Falcon sighed and scrubbed a hand through her dark hair. Did she need an example? She felt like she needed an example. She let her hair fall over her eyes and then tucked it away. ”Take Ragna, for example. I know she wouldn’t be happy, and she already doesn’t like me.” She didn’t know know why Ragna didn’t like her, but dating Cottongrass certainly hadn’t helped; this would just be the queer icing on the queer cake.

After trying desperately to look normal and put together, Falcon turned to watch the coyote hybrid finish tying the rope to his horse’s saddle. It was easy to ignore the confusion on his face, the shifting expressions as he came to terms with what she’d just said, and admire him as he worked. He was just… Well, he was pretty handsome for an older man. Sedona didn’t exactly look her age either, not to Falcon, but Phoenix was a real catch.

Someone else, someone normal, would probably make him really happy someday.

”Are you ready for the branches?” Falcon asked, shifting the bundle from one hip to the other. Her voice was… Quieter than she meant it to be. Sadder, too, but she couldn’t choke the feeling down right now. Phoenix hadn’t even said anything and she already knew she shouldn’t have told him; whatever his reaction would, it was more than she could handle right now. ”Once we, uh… Once we get these delivered, I can get out of your hair.” The words sounded lighter than Falcon felt, like she was telling a joke, but her smile didn’t reach her eyes.

Maybe she’d go scream in the woods after this, or… Sing? She’d done a lot of singing during her mother’s visit, and then the urge had just… Tapered off. Falcon didn’t know why—maybe she was just stressed out. She could choke out some bad, sad song about her life and how she’d brought all of it on herself.

had a voice, had a voice but I could not sing
template by veldt, image by @szmigieldesign
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander

POSTED: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:49 pm

Phoenix Whitesage
falcon is awkward/naive pt. 3 [+7]

It wasn't hard to miss the similar sorts of emotions in Falcon's face; he and Sedona didn't have the same sort of relationship vis-à-vis brother and sister did, sure, but that certainly didn't discount the fact they were close friends. Probably one of the closest the woman had made since she moved out here, if Phoenix had to reckon, so Falcon knew. Hard though it would be to adjust, at least Sedona had some unshakable support by her side. They weren't going anywhere, even if Sedona got sick and tired of them.

But it was hard to focus on that, which was both a blessing and a curse.

Mouth opened, closed again, opened again and closed again; and Nick held onto that silence as though it held the key to the universe, some unbeknownst secret he was never supposed to know or understand. He was just confused as hell, also, which probably added to his anxiousness, and no doubt it was clear as day on his face as he gawked at Falcon with big green eyes.

He relented when he turned to Toh, getting the rig ready, but that didn't mean this was over. He had to know. If it had just been a mistake, it would've have been so hard to drag it out; but this was something else, he knew. He could feel it in his bones.

Patience was a virtue, and finally, it paid off. His attention immediately shifted from the stallion to his companion, and he really did fight with himself to remain neutral; but his front cracked as soon as he — she said it. The cowboy turned to face hi... her, fully, hands feeling awkward at his sides as he listened with perked ears. He found himself fiddling with the rope idly, not noticing he was fraying the ends as Falcon spoke; and as soon as he realized, he dropped the rope as if it were a snake, and he laughed a little nervously. "Sorry," he apologized, not really sure why he did, but... well, he just felt. Sorry. For some reason.

And she tried to push past it, much to her credit; Nick had been stunned into silence, not because he was offended or angry or upset or anything, just... Sorry? No, not sorry, not anymore. That wasn't the word. His brows quirked and loosened in an endless dance as they stood there, not talking, and then finally Falcon brought up the sticks. "Yeah, lemme, uh." He moved stiff as a board, calloused hands taking the load from her and working to strap them to Toh's side, and as he was tying the rope, he finally found the courage to address it.

"Falcon," he said, green eyes looking to her over his shoulder as he stood straight again. "I ain't gon' even act like I know what the hell that means, but..." He chuckled again, rubbing his hands on his jeans. "That don't change the fact we're friends." Or Phoenix felt as though they were, at this point. Their interactions had always been pleasant, but... It saddened him a bit that Falcon had to keep this secret of hers hidden from the pack, in fear of backlash.

It was strange, that much was true; he had never heard of anything like it, and he'd been around the block a few times. "I ain't gon' judge you. Yer still the same old Falcon t'me." It was meant to be reassuring, and the coymutt just prayed it came across that way. He sure didn't want their friendship to be tainted by it, even if he didn't completely understands the implications of what she was saying.

"Here, c'mon," he gestured, clicking his tongue to whir Tohopka into motion. "You don't gotta run off so quick. We can have a drink or somethin' back at m'house when this's done." He grinned, replacing that uncomfortable furrow of his brows. "Sedona's got some whiskey in there that'll knock yer socks off, if yer game."

No better way to get past the awkward than over a drink.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
veldt
Ride 'em, Cowboy!

Dead Topics