A nice view of the sea

POSTED: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:41 am

It was almost noon when Wally got to Cape Hopewell, just in time for high tide. There was a large rock near the edge of the cliff overlooking the ocean, and it seemed to be a good place for the dog to sit down for a while. Pulling off the sack that carried his few valuables, he dumped all the contents to the side and reached for a bundle of deerskin holding his sewing materials.

A few days ago, Wally discovered a hole in his sack and the lack of most of his belongings. Whether the bag got caught on a branch or one of his spearheads tore it open didn't matter much over the fact he lost most of his supplies. Of course, a few things were too large to fall out and he found other items when backtracking, but he lost a lot of essential items. While he didn't miss the medicine too much, the missing firestarter would make winter a lot less comfortable.

He had hastily stitched the sack together the day it happened, but he didn't want to risk it opening up again. That, and the abysmal condition of his "cloak", made him decide to sew in a new bottom to the sack. Sure, it would deplete most of the catgut thread he had, but he'd rather waste it on some extra insurance he didn't need instead of discovering it missing and a much larger hole later.

The items he did have, aside from his sewing stuff, were a mix of human artifacts and canine-created tools. Of the artifacts, he only had a plastic piece from a Rubik's cube and a broken revolver left. Of his newer items, he had a dull knife and a spearhead his father had given him along with a thick branch he thought about turning into a club.

He had already placed the scrap of what remained of his cloak into position and began sewing. While he worried the thread wouldn't be enough, he tried to focus on the ocean. While he wasn't in the mood to jump in and get wet, it was still breathtaking to see how expansive it was, not to mention how calming it was to hear the waves clash with the cliff side. He wouldn't mind coming back here again in the future, if he decided to stay in the area.
Loners
Dog
Noah

POSTED: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:54 pm

It was always an adventure when Nick and Toh decided to go riding outside of the Vale's territory.

Today they headed south, to lands still fairly unknown, and they very quickly ran into the coastline; naturally, to avoid diving headlong into the ocean, they instead decided to follow the beach down further and see where it would take them.

Whereas Phoenix usually reveled in this sort of primitive sense of freedom — the wind in his mane, the blur of colors flashing past as Tohopka thundered through the sand — something was off. He was unusually distracted as of late.

He never usually dwelled on women, but he caught his mind wandering back to the amber-eyed Lyssa more and more, and he absolutely hated it.

She was cute as a button and nice and kind and just the kind of woman he would have liked to see more often, except he didn't want to fall into that trap. It was a trap he knew well and avoided thusly; it was a trap that was fatal to men like him. The coymutt was always so confident and flirtatious and it only came back to bite him in the rear when a decent person began to fall for his act.

Musing over the what-ifs and the what-thens did not last for much longer, however, as he spotted a figure further up the beach; he clicked his heels against Toh's sides, and the massive black stallion slowed to a halt, allowing the Mistwalker a better look at the stranger. Definitively doggish, the young man was pouring over an odd assortment of curiosities, needle in hand, and the cowboy whistled to him in greeting.

"Howdy there, stranger," he called, stopping the mustang at a respectable distance from the younger man. "This here's a pretty back drop fer sittin', gotta hand it to ya." Tohopka snorted and shuddered with heavy exhales, still catching his breath from the exhilarating run.

[+300]
hi there! hope you don't mind me joining in!

avatar by Despi, signature by Nat
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 pm

OOC - Not at all, I was waiting for someone to show up!

The whistle was enough to break Wally's concentration. With the newfound interruption, the dog realized how sore his back was and stretched it, while bringing his attention to the approaching canine on horseback. While it wasn't the first time he saw such a thing, the rarity of the sight was enough to generate some interest. The horse the canine was riding on sported a black coat and was large enough to intimidate the dog a bit, even from a distance. The canine himself seemed to be a coyote in both size and patterning, sporting some interesting pants. Wally didn't have much experience with denim and was curious about how he made them, even in the poor condition they were in.

Wally glanced to the sky to determine how long he was there, surprised by the amount of time that passed by. It felt like he was there for an hour or so, but the position of the sun suggested he was there for much longer. Inspecting the sack, he noted how he was almost done, just a hand's length to go until he could cut the string. It took him longer than he thought it would, but the stitching seemed sturdy enough, if a bit excessive.

Turning his attention back to the approaching coyote, he made a short wave with his good arm. "Afternoon," he responded to the coyote's call as the horse came to a halt. The horse's heavy breaths made Wally guess the two have been traveling for some time. Maybe the two knew the land better than him.

Wally couldn't see any reason to disagree with the coyote's comment. Looking at it now, it was definitely an interesting change of pace compared to the forests or the ruins he was used to. Even when he was sewing up the sack, the calm breeze felt nice on his fur. "Aye, I can agree with that." He started to sew again, his attention still on the coyote. "By chance, are ye also a traveler? I just got into the area me-self, and I had little luck with finding anyone." After that, he added, "By the way, me name's Wally. What about ye?"
Loners
Dog
Noah

POSTED: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:31 pm

He seemed a harmless enough fellow, Phoenix reckoned. Inoffensive and agreeable, just as the man upon the horse liked to think he himself was. His words were tinged with a peculiar dialect, one more foreign than even Phoenix's in these parts, and the coymutt's ears pricked as he listened to the dark-furred male.

As he busied himself with his needle once more, Phoenix took the chance to swing his leg over the saddle and dismount, feeling the sand bury itself between his toes underfoot. Tohopka shifted beside him, probably glad for the momentarily respite.

"Well sure, 'm a traveler, sorta," he answered, stretching out his stiff limbs. "We're a lil' far from home, I reckon, but we ain't been in these parts fer too long. I live in Mistfell Vale, now; it's back thata way." He pointed vaguely in the direction they had came.

"Nice t'meet ya, Mister Wally," he answered with a grin, sticking out a hand to him for a shake. "'M Phoenix, n' this fella's name is Tohopka." The stallion in question glanced over at his name, but otherwise he began to wander away from them, curious to find a patch of grass, probably in vain.

"Where'd you come from, partner? Since you ain't from 'round here n' yer a traveler n' all. Toh n' I are from Arizona, out west. Took us a hot minute t'get all the way out here, lemme tell ya."

[+200]
sorry for the wait on this! <3

avatar by Despi, signature by Nat
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm

421 Words

So he was also new to the area? At the very least, it seemed the coyote was much more knowledgeable of this place than the dog, and more so when he spoke about Mistfell Vale. Wally's ears perked up when the coyote pointed to the direction of what he believed was a town. The thoughts of not freezing to death during winter was enough to excite the shepherd, his tail thumping against the rock a bit. He knew he had to be careful about trespassing, but his entire trip north was full of the accidental act, though he was sure he could keep himself from repeating the mistake. "Mistfell Vale? Sounds like an interesting place. Maybe I'll drop by in the future. Are they hostile to travelers like me-self?"

It didn't take long for Wally to realize what the outstretched hand was for. His old pack didn't do the act, but he met another dog who did something similar. He was sure it was a kind of greeting and moved to shake it, wincing a bit at how stiff his scarred arm felt.

The dog's head made a quizzical tilt at the name of the coyote and his horse companion. He was sure he heard the Phoenix was some kind of bird that lived...overseas? Wally wasn't entirely sure about that, but was less sure of Tohopka. He hadn't even heard of the word until now. "Nice to meet ye too," was all he could say, unsure of how to ask "what kind of name is Tohopka" without possibly angering either individual.

The mention of Arizona made Wally's head tilt even more. He was sure he never heard of an "Arizona" as long as he lived, and maybe that was were their names came from. He also wanted to ask how long a "hot minute" was, but the coyote asked him a question first.

Wally didn't actually know where he used to live at, otherwise he wouldn't be here now. He sighed before saying, "I came from the south. I think I was a bit more west than here. It took me...a month? Roughly a month to come out here, but it's like here, with lots of trees." An embarrassed grin crossed his face. "I got lost and wandered up here. I hope yer journey up here was better than me own."

With his question out of the way, Wally tried to ask some of his. "If ye don't mind, what is this 'Arizona' place ye're from? Sounds like an interesting place."
Loners
Dog
Noah

Western Forefront