Early in November

St. Croix Highlands near Cape Hopewell

POSTED: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:31 pm

OOC :: Foredated to November 2nd.
Words→ 326

The St. Croix highlands were cold. Not cold enough for snow flurries, or cold enough to stay cooped up inside, but cold enough that she appreciated her new cloak. Falcon rubbed her shoulders through the garment, the caribou fur warm against her back. The hood, lined with white hare fur, was pushed back over her shoulders. It didn’t quite match the shawl her mother had given her after her first shift, but it was close enough. More importantly, it still smelled like Rowan.

Falcon pressed the edge of the cloak to her nose and breathed in deeply. It would keep her warm until her mother returned in mid-spring, and then every year thereafter until she—or the cloak—was no more.

The Elkenfrey shook her head to clear her thoughts; her mother had only been gone a few days and she already missed her. Glancing up at the blue-gray sky, she continued her trek across the highlands. A large, black and white osprey flew overhead toward the coast, its feathers shining in the afternoon sun, and Falcon followed it until she could see the sea stacks that dotted the bay.

What would it be like to climb them?

Falcon sat down in the cool, green grass and resolved to discover that another day when the tide was lower. She brushed the dirt off her pale, linen skirt and frowned at the loose strings under her fingertips. The sailcloth was already old when the hybrid first got it, and it was only getting older. Maybe she’d ask Baelish to keep an eye out for a new skirt for her; she could commandeer the D’Acidic household for a few hours and make them all dinner for his trouble.

Falcon looked up at the sky again and began to sing an old sailor's tune she'd learned in Portland. "The tide goes out, the tide comes in, and then we sail away again..."
Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander
Pack Aide I They stole my dirty socks... :(

POSTED: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:59 pm

Sophie walked beside the cart as it moved forward. Derek was guiding the horses this time after Sophie had told him the basics. Greyson was tied to the back of the cart and walking as it moved. Together they had decided to scout out the land next to where Krokar had used to be, Derek had mentioned he thought there was an old town that might be good for some supplies. Sophie figured it didn't hurt to look, though she was sure other loners had cleared out anything actually worth having. Shaking her head clear of those thoughts she moved her ears as she caught the sound of someone singing.

Derek had heard too, and the horses slowed as they got closer. The source looked to be a canine, alone and smelling of the pack nearby. They had traded there, so they saw no need to fear any of the members. Besides, the song sounded a bit lonely to her ears. Looking to Derek he gave a nod and she moved from the cart and approached the lone canine cautiously. Just because there was no real reason to fear this specific canine did not mean she shouldn't be careful. Once she was close enough she smiled and waved, not wanting to interrupt the song with her voice.

219 words | Hope you don't mind me grabbing this

Trans rights are human rights
Loners
Wolfdog
Ash
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:27 am

OOC :: Words→ 243

The lyrics rocked back and forth, like the waves beneath a ship, and Falcon let herself get lost in them. She’d learned countless sea shanties while living in Portland, but most had faded with time. Falcon treasured the ones that hadn’t; they were lyrics from another time and another, more exciting place. They were lyrics that meant something.

The Elkenfrey let her gaze wander, blue-green eyes trailing along the distance coast before returning to land. ”...The sun shines high, the moon shines low, and then we—Oh!” Falcon exclaimed, spotting another luperci on the windy hillside; she’d been so busy singing and picking at her skirt that she hadn’t noticed. ”Hi there, stranger,” she said, a ghost of a smile on her dark lips.

One hand, hidden from view by her cloak, rested on her axe sheath. Just in case.

Falcon glanced past the woman and noted her apparent traveling companion; he was leading a horse-drawn cart, which seemed like no small feat in the highlands. ”How’d you manage to get a cart all the way up here?” she asked, her curiosity piqued. There were plenty of short, rolling hills that led into the greater highlands, but it didn’t seem ideal for a pair of traders and their cart—or travelers, or thieves, or whatever they were.

Her hand tightened around her axe at the thought. They probably weren’t thieves, Falcon assured herself. Probably.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Alexander
Pack Aide I They stole my dirty socks... :(

POSTED: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Sophie glanced at the cart, wondering if it was strange to have one in this area "The horses pulled it?" Honestly, she wasn't sure how else to answer. The terrain didn't seem that bad compared to some of the other lands they had traversed before. "We were on a trading trip, then decided to go and explore this area a bit before returning to our main camp." She scratched the back of her neck "I didn't think it would be bad to come this way, is this land dangerous to horses?" If it was they may just turn around and return to stay the winter at the location they had agreed on.

The white with brown female really hoped they could still go where they wanted too though because they could really use some extra supplies. "Your from that pack...the Vale right? We traded there with a white woman." That had been an interesting trade, and they had gotten some things that they had needed. Sophie was definitely happy because Derek had already started using the cloth he had gotten. It was good to see him working his skills, and he looked so happy while doing it too. The female knew that if she ever found more cloth she would give it straight to Derek, just to see him smile more.

225 words

Trans rights are human rights
Loners
Wolfdog
Ash
Luperci

Western Forefront