Early in November

St. Croix Highlands near Cape Hopewell

POSTED: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:31 pm

OOC :: Foredated to November 2nd.
Words→ 326

The St. Croix highlands were cold. Not cold enough for snow flurries, or cold enough to stay cooped up inside, but cold enough that she appreciated her new cloak. Falcon rubbed her shoulders through the garment, the caribou fur warm against her back. The hood, lined with white hare fur, was pushed back over her shoulders. It didn’t quite match the shawl her mother had given her after her first shift, but it was close enough. More importantly, it still smelled like Rowan.

Falcon pressed the edge of the cloak to her nose and breathed in deeply. It would keep her warm until her mother returned in mid-spring, and then every year thereafter until she—or the cloak—was no more.

The Elkenfrey shook her head to clear her thoughts; her mother had only been gone a few days and she already missed her. Glancing up at the blue-gray sky, she continued her trek across the highlands. A large, black and white osprey flew overhead toward the coast, its feathers shining in the afternoon sun, and Falcon followed it until she could see the sea stacks that dotted the bay.

What would it be like to climb them?

Falcon sat down in the cool, green grass and resolved to discover that another day when the tide was lower. She brushed the dirt off her pale, linen skirt and frowned at the loose strings under her fingertips. The sailcloth was already old when the hybrid first got it, and it was only getting older. Maybe she’d ask Baelish to keep an eye out for a new skirt for her; she could commandeer the D’Acidic household for a few hours and make them all dinner for his trouble.

Falcon looked up at the sky again and began to sing an old sailor's tune she'd learned in Portland. "The tide goes out, the tide comes in, and then we sail away again..."
Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander
With great distinction, I carry on They stole my dirty socks... :( Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:59 pm

Sophie walked beside the cart as it moved forward. Derek was guiding the horses this time after Sophie had told him the basics. Greyson was tied to the back of the cart and walking as it moved. Together they had decided to scout out the land next to where Krokar had used to be, Derek had mentioned he thought there was an old town that might be good for some supplies. Sophie figured it didn't hurt to look, though she was sure other loners had cleared out anything actually worth having. Shaking her head clear of those thoughts she moved her ears as she caught the sound of someone singing.

Derek had heard too, and the horses slowed as they got closer. The source looked to be a canine, alone and smelling of the pack nearby. They had traded there, so they saw no need to fear any of the members. Besides, the song sounded a bit lonely to her ears. Looking to Derek he gave a nod and she moved from the cart and approached the lone canine cautiously. Just because there was no real reason to fear this specific canine did not mean she shouldn't be careful. Once she was close enough she smiled and waved, not wanting to interrupt the song with her voice.

219 words | Hope you don't mind me grabbing this

Trans rights are human rights

POSTED: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:27 am

OOC :: Words→ 243

The lyrics rocked back and forth, like the waves beneath a ship, and Falcon let herself get lost in them. She’d learned countless sea shanties while living in Portland, but most had faded with time. Falcon treasured the ones that hadn’t; they were lyrics from another time and another, more exciting place. They were lyrics that meant something.

The Elkenfrey let her gaze wander, blue-green eyes trailing along the distance coast before returning to land. ”...The sun shines high, the moon shines low, and then we—Oh!” Falcon exclaimed, spotting another luperci on the windy hillside; she’d been so busy singing and picking at her skirt that she hadn’t noticed. ”Hi there, stranger,” she said, a ghost of a smile on her dark lips.

One hand, hidden from view by her cloak, rested on her axe sheath. Just in case.

Falcon glanced past the woman and noted her apparent traveling companion; he was leading a horse-drawn cart, which seemed like no small feat in the highlands. ”How’d you manage to get a cart all the way up here?” she asked, her curiosity piqued. There were plenty of short, rolling hills that led into the greater highlands, but it didn’t seem ideal for a pair of traders and their cart—or travelers, or thieves, or whatever they were.

Her hand tightened around her axe at the thought. They probably weren’t thieves, Falcon assured herself. Probably.

Note: Falcon uses he/him pronouns publicly (i.e. to most packmates, acquaintances, and strangers) and she/her pronouns privately (i.e. to specific, close friends).
Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander
With great distinction, I carry on They stole my dirty socks... :( Spring Spree 2020

POSTED: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Sophie glanced at the cart, wondering if it was strange to have one in this area "The horses pulled it?" Honestly, she wasn't sure how else to answer. The terrain didn't seem that bad compared to some of the other lands they had traversed before. "We were on a trading trip, then decided to go and explore this area a bit before returning to our main camp." She scratched the back of her neck "I didn't think it would be bad to come this way, is this land dangerous to horses?" If it was they may just turn around and return to stay the winter at the location they had agreed on.

The white with brown female really hoped they could still go where they wanted too though because they could really use some extra supplies. "Your from that pack...the Vale right? We traded there with a white woman." That had been an interesting trade, and they had gotten some things that they had needed. Sophie was definitely happy because Derek had already started using the cloth he had gotten. It was good to see him working his skills, and he looked so happy while doing it too. The female knew that if she ever found more cloth she would give it straight to Derek, just to see him smile more.

225 words

POSTED: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:48 am

OOC :: Words→ 282

Falcon nodded, supposing the answer was rather obvious—at least without specifying what she’d meant. She put on a warm smile and rested her chin against her closed hand as the woman spoke; they were traders, and this was just a detour on an otherwise uneventful trip. ”No, not that I’ve noticed,” Falcon said, ”but I’m not very good with horses—I prefer my own feet.” There was nothing inherently wrong with horses; she just didn’t like sitting on their massive, heaving backs while hoping they listened to her.

And all it took was one wrong step, one fall, to maim the horse and kill the rider.

The Elkenfrey tilted her head to the side. She’d heard about the traders through the grapevine, but she didn’t think she’d get to meet them. ”I am. You said you traded with a white woman? Red eyes, fancy dress, pretty smile?” Falcon asked, knowing the compliment wouldn’t get back to her. ”Sounds like Zuri.” She remembered the first time she saw her, ivory fur bathed in autumn sunlight, and felt something half click inside her. Zuri was one of the most beautiful, competent-looking women she’d ever met—and in that moment, Falcon had wanted to be just like her.

Falcon leaned back and smoothed her hands over the cool, green grass. Pale fingers closed around the supple blades and tugged them free, before releasing them into the wind; maybe they’d be blown all the way to the coast. ”My name is Falcon. Do I get the pleasure of learning yours and your partner’s?” the hybrid asked, glancing toward the man and their cart.

Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander

POSTED: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:29 am

Though the description matched the female they had met Sophie did not recall a smile. "Well, she seemed...very guarded" there could have been a number of reasons for that though. "I am Sophie, and my companion is Derek. It is a pleasure to meet you Falcon." Smiling brightly she was glad that this member of the Vale was at least willing to talk to them. So far they had not experienced much trouble, which she was grateful and a little surprised at. With so many canines around, there must be bad to balance out the good, but she wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth and complain about their good luck.

Derek gave a wave as Sophie offered his name. Though he was still a bit guarded around strangers, as long as Sophie was safe then he would stay his usual relaxed self. In any case, this was a pack member of the Vale, and that group had not caused any trouble for them yet. So he saw no real reason to fully distrust this Falcon character. Yawning he kept an eye on the horses as Sophie did the main interaction. He figured if this canine did not want to trade that his companion may just chat and catch up on events before they moved on to their destination.

224 words

POSTED: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:35 pm

OOC :: Words→ 298

Falcon nodded, glancing toward the coast; that sounded like Zuri, too. She could be as sweet as she was serious, but the latter usually took precedence around strangers. ”Like I said, the pleasure’s all mine—it’s nice to meet you too, Sophie. I knew a Derek once,” Falcon said, committing the names to memory. He was one of the dock hands who’d paid their way to Portland with work, hailing from some European city she’d forgotten the name of. His older sister had been a cook on the ship, but she’d gotten really sick a few days before they made landfall; she was buried at sea.

The Elkenfrey couldn’t remember her name, but she could remember wanting to kiss Derek when she was “old enough.” Why couldn’t she remember his sister’s name?

Falcon sighed and scrubbed a hand through her dark hair; maybe she’d remember it later. She turned to wave back at this new, more quiet Derek and tried to smile. He didn’t look like much of a talker, but maybe her conversation with Sophie would catch his interest. ”Where are you two from, if you don’t mind me asking? I grew up out west, spent some time in Portland as a teenager, and decided to broaden my horizons out here.” Falcon gestured to the highlands around her, with a nod to Mistfell Vale beyond the horizon. It was enough of the truth to talk about, especially when she wanted to learn more than she shared.

The whole story was long and complicated, with a lot of dead ends and lonely nights under a summer sky; she knew a pair of traveling merchants, especially ones who weren’t expecting company, wouldn't have time for it.

Loners
Coyote Hybrid
Alexander

Dead Topics