Sometimes there are happy times

- Sebastien

POSTED: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:28 pm

It was a strange thing to see the golden matriarch show this tender and caring side. How she nudged forward her children with a gentle muzzle and how she promptly licked away the pain from any sore paw or nose when they stumbled during their games, these were the small affectionate gestures that could baffle anyone who had previously witnessed the terrible things those jaws were capable of. The cold and cruel edge of her expression was gone, softened by a maternal veil lifted only by the occasional disruption of their peaceful bubble.

She moved about on her Halfling form, a hulking and terrible visage for anyone but those two who knew only the gentleness of her touch – so far.

A cruel creature by nature the giant Mistress had thus far shown restrain when disciplining her children, but this wasn’t bound to last much longer. As they grew more resilient and her patience became more fickle, challenged by their developing boldness and individuality, they would end up becoming subjects to the true violent nature of their family. It was just a matter of time.

But for now the family enjoyed a placid afternoon, the cool breeze kept off their skin by their thick hides and the warmth that irradiated from their working muscles. Children yapped and laughed as they chased after their long legged mother. She encouraged them with small growls and daring yowls, always lingering out of touch as they tried to tackle her dark limbs.

These games were an important part of their development, and soon they would escalate into more violent encounters and daring hunting enterprises. The aged mother welcomed the exercise after such a tedious period of isolation and stillness, and giving it her all she soon found herself panting heavily with her tongue lolling out of her mouth. Her focus remained on the two persecutors, and thus didn’t notice the presence of another until the man was within view range.
Salsola
The Henchman (NPC)
Hydra
Luperci Cavalleria

POSTED: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:26 pm

(+300)

Thanks for starting! Let me know if you want anything changed.

Her scent was unmistakable - wild and wolfish, it harked back to a time when Luperci lived as their ancestors did before them. Sebastien licked his whiskers as he inhaled, hoping that courage would flow into his lungs from the crisp air. He clutched the leather-wrapped gift tighter to his chest as doubt settled into his stomach. Was his offering enough? Would the mother be offended? A dozen such questions jostled over each other like puppies eager for his attention.

He imagined his fear likely seeped into the wind as it carried the hound’s scent to Kaeli and her young. Sebastien could be forgiven for his disquiet; the coy-wolf intimidated many with her sheer size and strength. Although the two canines had met on formal occasions, they had yet to interact beyond dutiful bows and tentative glances. Sebastien dressed simply for his spontaneous meeting with the Blacksun matriarch, bundled in layers that not only protected him from the elements but also bulked up his thin frame. If the male were to impress Kaeli, he needed to present a clever and capable front.

Sebastien barked in greeting, drawing near to the halfling and her litter with careful steps. “Lady Blacksun,” the hound dipped his head and lingered a safe distance away. His eyes drifted from the acidic gaze that swept over him, shallow breaths turning to vapour in the air. “I w-want to congratulate you and Lord Blacksun on the arrival of your c-children. I’ve brought a gift. I know how difficult it c-can be when they’re growing into their teeth…” Memories of being nipped by Evelyn and Eden swam into focus as he smiled. Sebastien unwrapped the leather to reveal several toys made up of knotted rope. He held them out for Kaeli to inspect; his body stilled if she approached. “Thanks for s-spending time with Eden. I’m glad that he has your friendship.”

Sebastien Stone

Art Credit: Jacoby!
Salsola
The Confidant
Ketsuki
Spring Spree 2020
FOREVER BY YOUR SIDE

POSTED: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:55 am

A shock of white and auburn fur had her halting abruptly, her frame tensing in a second as she adopted a dominant posture that came as natural as breathing to her. Her children weren’t quick enough to see what had disturbed her, one of them tripped on his own feet trying to avoid hitting his mother while the other crashed against her hind legs face-first.

Her large frame bristled at the impact but she didn’t turn nor appear to acknowledge it. Her eyes remained ahead, digging into the soft hue of the male’s gaze.

”Sebastien” She addressed him gravely and paused, her features seeming to soften just a touch as she added. ”Confidant. Yet another servant who had managed to dissolve his life-debt to the crown and thus earned a place in La Familia. Perhaps his talent to keep a low profile had been his greatest achievement yet, remaining out of everyone’s way and dutifully tending to the chores he was given which awarded him the good graces of their benevolent Queen. Maybe there was something else, something to do with the individuals he associated himself with. Kaeli wasn’t truly impartial to the fact that the boy was close to Till’s son but so far his existence had been so insignificant in her radar that she had nothing to build an opinion on him.

Some would say that her indifference was a blessing and he had just traded it for a moment of her attention. She had to commend him for his boldness and hope that this wasn’t but just a moment of stupidity disguised as braveness.

His words came out, broken and nervous, and she felt inclined to mock him for his lack of spine, but once Eden’s name was spoken she withheld her poisonous remarks. She had a soft spot for the boy, finding his dedication to the Pack quite admirable at his age. If this man was close to the boy it was in her best interest to remain neutral, else she would risk losing a possible ally in the future. ”Do not thank me, Eden is a smart boy and a duitful Salsolan, it is my pleasure to aid someone with such promise.”

”It was very thoughtful of you.” She said stepping forward, her large secui head arching up to sniff at the offered gifts. They had been well crafted and her nose told her that there had been no harmful substances impregnated in the objects. She would wash them before handing them to her kids just for the sake of caution but she genuinely appreciated the thought behind the gift. ”I am certain they will enjoy them, perhaps these will be the salvation of my furniture.”

Her children edged forward, one still rattled and seeking comfort after the mighty bruise he had gotten on his head. Kaeli turned to nuzzle the boy, her tongue emerging to give him a few soothing laps on his tiny forehead. Her other son went ahead and started sniffing at the stranger’s feet, his tail wagging madly all the while.

”Would you mind helping me take these home? I haven’t got the hands to carry them myself right now and my shifting has grown tedious with age.” A weakness it may have pained her to admit before but now she used it to drive some empathy from the man and coax him into agreeing to her request. A chance to get to know a possible rival or ally was one no proper Salsolan would let pass.
Salsola
The Henchman (NPC)
Hydra
Luperci Cavalleria

POSTED: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:18 pm

(+300)

Sorry for the delay <3

Sebastien perceived the subtle shifts in Kaeli’s posture as acceptance. A tightly held breath escaped his lips in a low whistle as he adjusted his own body in supplication. He forced himself to meet her gaze briefly as he felt the weight of Kaeli’s scrutiny upon him. The sizing up of another canine was an old ritual, completed with silence and the quick show of his throat on the dog’s part. Where he suspected he was found lacking, Sebastien could not find fault with the matriarch. Kaeli appeared toughened by life’s experience and wore her age as a seal of honour - a testament to her enduring spirit. Rose eyes studied the pups scattered around the woman’s feet admiringly. “Your c-children look very well, Lady Blacksun.”

Sebastien tried to mask the trembling of his arms as Kaeli sniffed the gift. It stung to think she suspected he had poisoned a gift intended for her young; such an act was sickening to the male. The coyote-like woman expressed her gratitude, causing the hound to laugh at her comments on saving her furniture. “Oh, I k-know. I’ve been told it adds character,” the dog smiled, eager to release the tension that weighed upon his shoulders.

The male watched the mother and her children with soft features. It was a special moment indeed to see Kaeli, a well-known warrior, comforting her son. The other boy approached the hound, setting his own tail to wag in turn. He knelt and offered his hand for the boy to smell, “Hello there. I’m Sebastien, what’s your name?”

“Sure. I’ll follow.” The dog nodded at Kaeli’s request, rising to his feet to secure the gift. “I find that hard to believe. You look great.” He’d almost finished the sentence with 'for your age' before he could clamp down his teeth. Sebastien hide his face by fiddling with a lock of his hair as he traipsed behind the family. Gods, this is embarrassing! He suspected Kaeli lived in the Ruins, but that was as far as his assumption went. Sebastien had always felt uneasy being in the noble’s residential quarters; crumbling stonework choked with climbing plants and a multitude of nooks and crannies for its watchful inhabitants.

Sebastien Stone

Salsola
The Confidant
Ketsuki
Spring Spree 2020
FOREVER BY YOUR SIDE

POSTED: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:52 am

Compliments were given, and the grizzled matriarch hummed lowly in response. It wasn’t the dog’s fault that Salsola’s proclivity for empty sweet talk had deafened her ears to the verbal honey, but if he expected to tenderize her mood in such a way he would find himself with only failure at hand. He had been lucky that she found herself in good disposition to begin with.

”It is fortunate that we only teeth once.” The shadow of a smile appeared in her lips, gone so soon one may think it no more than a trick of the light. Her attention appeared to turn back to her progeny, but despite her seemingly tranquil demeanour she kept a watchful eye on Sebastien’s every move. One could never been too careful. Her very age was a testament of the benefits of being sparse with trust. Her caution with her children now would be justified eventually, and the grizzled mother would resent not being more paranoid then.

Nazar had been the daring one from the beginning, and with his head held high and his tail wagging madly behind him he approached the new acquaintance. He sniffed and nudged with his tiny nose, and looking up with bright puppy eyes gave his best go at articulating his name. ”Na-har.” Then he yipped, excited by his own capability of speech, and then continued to chant his badly pronounced name as he went to encounter his brother to engage in play-chase again.

Verdant eyes shifted from the pups to Sebastien, and the veteran tilted her head in approval of the Confidant’s compliance. ”Children, come.” Spoken firmly the order didn’t go unheeded and her sons changed the direction of their race toward the path that led home. Kaeli started walking, pausing briefly only for the hound to join her side. ”Time forgives no-one but I would like to believe that it has been kinder to me than to others my age.” Training and discipline, such were the things that had kept her body strong throughout the years. The symptoms of old age had still manifested, but she believed that they would be fairly worse had her frame been weaker from a lax lifestyle.

”Eden is quite invested in his studies as a healer. Was that an interest he picked from you?” She didn’t bother smooth the abrupt change of subject, trusting that her superior rank would force this man to follow the conversation at her pace. She had curiosities to sate and he had proven diligent enough.
Salsola
The Henchman (NPC)
Hydra
Luperci Cavalleria

POSTED: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:14 am

(+500)

Lady Blacksun’s vigilant gaze over her offspring and the hound lasted the entire journey to her home. Not that Sebastien could blame her, they were after all strangers still despite the bonds of the Kingdom. He wanted to prove himself trustworthy and knew that winning Kaeli over likely wouldn’t happen overnight. Or at all. Friendship seemed a foreign concept here, as he pondered over the general lack of kindliness fostered by its denizens.

Kaeli’s voice saved him from ruminating, and Sebastien nodded at her words. “Yeah, that would be a-awful to keep losing them again.” The hound clutched at his mouth as he recalled the half-remembered pain of teeth breaking through tender gums. His eyes turned to watch Kaeli for any changes in her attitude, conscious he was talking too much and potentially aggravating the woman. Sebastien thought he noticed Kaeli smile, but the expression was so brief that he could chalk it up to his eagerness to be accepted.

One of the pups, brimming with youthful confidence sauntered up to the dog. Sebastien giggled as the pup’s whiskers tickled his digits as he was examined. He couldn’t resist smiling as the boy with striking blue eyes against his dark coat sounded out his name. Before he could offer a compliment, Nazar yipped and turned on his heel to join his reticent sibling. The hound rose, grinned and caught Kaeli’s eyes, “He’s quite the character isn’t he?”

One moment the boys were scuffling on the ground and at a command from their mother, ran as one for home. “How? I’ve never seen that before.” Sebastien wasn’t sure how she had encouraged such levels of obedience in ones so young - it was fascinating to watch and compare with his own laid back parenting. Lady Blacksun explained how the passage of time waited for no canine, though Kaeli showed little sign of slowing down as the hound padded at her side. “I t-think...All we can do is our best where time is concerned. But what I want to know, Lady Blacksun, is how have you done that?”

Stone rose like jagged fangs amidst the tangle of plant life that shielded the Ruins when Kaeli mentioned Eden. His ears perked forward as he hummed low in his throat. “No, not quite. I know a little from my training as a body artist. Eden has applied himself to his studies and I hope he finds happiness in its craft.” Sounds of excitement reverberated from the walls as the pups waited outside their home. Sebastien approached and opened the doorway instinctively, and as he stood aside to let the family inside, he hoped he had not overstepped decency by doing so.

Letting his eyes adjust to the change in light, Sebastien placed himself in a corner as he let the occupants settle. He tried to relax in a stranger’s house, glancing around the room they stood in. the male admired its rough-hewn simplicity - it was not showy in the manner of some Salsolans, but practical and lived-in. Pink eyes met acid green ones as Sebastien tilted the leather-wrapped gift forward, “May I... erm, with your permission that is, give the boys their gifts now?”

Sebastien Stone

Salsola
The Confidant
Ketsuki
Spring Spree 2020
FOREVER BY YOUR SIDE

Dead Topics