our myths may be misguided

POSTED: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:54 pm

[WC: 314] Set at Grimrun, early morning.

She smiled more these days, certain of the future.

Morgana had been promised many things, and she had sworn oaths to ensure her place in the world remained mighty. Her bloodline was descended from royalty, after all. She and her siblings were kin to the first Boss, and in another life perhaps someone else would have been made Queen.

None of that interested Morgana now. Responsibility was a matter of scrutiny, and she was someone who was still gathering power around her. Too much of her time had been spent working on the house, preparing it for the expansion and division they would need when children were brought into the world. Morgana would be married soon enough, and then she would have her children and ensure her bloodline went on.

Brocade was a perfect match. He was easily distracted and carried by the winds when he willed such a thing, but he came back. Duty kept him at her side, though something like love was growing between them.

It would have to be there. Morgana was certain that if he did not love her yet, he would when his children were born.

These days, however, she was busy with other tasks. Some were more pleasant than others, such as the deliveries she went about during the day. Having several ahead of her, Morgana decided to take a horse. She could load her goods up and then some, and when finished she would still have time to enjoy her trip back before nightfall. With darkness coming so quickly these days, she could not ride as late.

To Morgana's delight, Pythios was still stalled when she arrived at the barn. After a brief discussion with the newly appointed Equinest, Morgana saddled the stallion up. She talked to the horse as she went about her business, showing a familiarity and possessiveness when it came to handling him.

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Mel
Luperci Witch Mate to Brocade Silver Scales & Silver Blood
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:49 am

(395)

<3

If Evelyn could be found anywhere nine times out of ten it would be within either Grimrun or Marrgerd with the animals - specifically more so with the horses, but she tried to spend her time evenly between the two. She had been learning so much as of late, as Greivous had taken her under his wing and she was determined to prove herself worthy of this. They had turned the horses out to pasture that morning, fed and groomed a few of the younger colts and fillies, and she was just making her way back inside to muck out some of the stalls before she heard someone talking within one of the stalls.

Curious, Evelyn's ears twitched to pick up the sound so she could follow it, wondering who would be in the barn without her noticing their arrival. Hoping to run into Pontifex or Helena the girl jogged down the run along the stalls and peeked her head into Pythios' stall. A woman, much taller than herself, was tacking up the horse for what looked like a ride somewhere. Interested and curious, as she had never formally met the red Revlis woman outside of pack business and gatherings - from what she could remember - Evelyn could not help but offer a friendly smile as she leaned over the side of the stall.

"Good morning, Arbiter," she gave a friendly wave and a nod of respect with her head. "Can I offer my assistance in any way?" she asked, hoping that her eagerness to help would show well on her as she was trying to earn a name for herself within the Thistle Kingdom, but also wanting Greivous to see how much she was really trying. The Equinest had been more than accommodating in showing her around the barn and she picked up so many good tips and tricks from him in the short amount of time she was working with him.

The girl ran a dirty hand through her blonde hair, blue eyes looking over the large horse, reaching down into the apron she had sashed around her waist, she pulled out an apple, a small treat, and reached forward to offer the bright ruby red fruit to the beautiful palomino. He was a good one to ride as she had ridden him a few times after she had just begun to start riding herself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Evelyn speaks."

table image credit: Hyssie@da

image by the lovely Despi <3 c:
Salsola
The Arbiter
Mads
Luperci Collettore 2020 SoSuWriMo Champ! Spring Spree 2020
Witchlight Winter

POSTED: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 pm

[WC: 362]

Morgana missed the signals the horse gave away, right up until she heard Evelyn come up behind them. She secretly cursed herself for allowing the girl to sneak up on her, but when she turned to face the young woman Morgana was smiling pleasantly.

Good morning, Tradesman Evelyn, she returned.

From the way her yellow eyes tracked Evelyn's hand, she might have been trying to discern if the offered treat was poisoned. She made no move to stop this, however. The time was inappropriate, and she – despite continuing to touch the stallion as if unwilling to let him go – was not in a position to disallow such behavior.

She could have, certainly, and thrown her rank around, but Morgana was smart enough to recognize things like affiliation. If Grievous, now newly ranked as Equinest, allowed Evelyn freedom in the barn, that extended to Pythios too.

Still.

I have him about ready to go, I think. This saddle fits him the best. At least of the ones we have that I'd be comfortable having him wear. I think some of them are just hideous, she said. Her smile sharpened. Once he finishes his little snack, that is. But, I will have something you can do – hold him for me, Morgana said, and lead the horse out of the stall. There, she passed the reins to Evelyn. He and I have some deliveries to handle today. Can you believe I used to run around everywhere on foot? Driving is another thing entirely, of course, but it's such an effort and really the ground here is so uneven. Good for our animals but not for wheels, not like a proper road. Oh we have proper roads, mind you, but nothing like the sort you'd find near settlements, she rambled on, loading bags and a woven basket carefully behind Pythios' saddle. The arrangement was careful and secure, ensured so by the addition of cording that bound the whole thing together.

When she was finished, Morgana held her hand out.

What are you doing out here? Taking care of things, hm? We can't leave it all to the men, now can we? She winked.

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Mel
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:32 pm

(430)

<3

The woman acted surprised by her approach while Evelyn had not meant to surprise her, she oftentimes found herself traveling around on foot so lightly no one ever heard her coming. It was a habit she had picked up from all of her other free time she spent in the woods hunting and tracking the animals within the Thistle Kingdom. Between the woods and the barns, she was not sure where she felt more at home in particular. Her eyes looked up to meet the startling beautiful face of the foxish woman a smile crossing her lips once again when the woman greeted her in return.

The girl did not think that maybe the apple was not a good idea to give to the horse without the woman's permission, but it had already been too late when the proffered fruit was taken from her hand and chomped down hastily. Sometimes she just did not think about the consequences of her actions and she could not help but visibly flinch a little bit, offering an apologetic smile to the woman she hoped that she never thought anything of it. It appeared to her that Morgana did not mind, from what she could tell at least, as she began to talk about the saddles.

"Yeah, some of them are a little... uncomfortable and too flashy for my taste," she agreed, moving with the horse and following the Arbiter out of the stall. The woman handed the reins over to Evelyn asking her to hold the stallion for her while she began fiddling with her items that were to be delivered today. The woman rambled a little, but Evelyn could not help but enjoy the sound of the woman's voice as she went on and on. She stood with the reins in one hand, and her free hand distractedly scratching at the forelock of the horse.

The roads? Well, Evelyn had nothing to really compare them too as she had not been outside of the Thistle Kingdom before, well except once, but that did not count. Her eyes turned back up to the woman as she secured the load along the back of the horse before a question was turned upon her. Evelyn grinned as the woman appeared to answer the question herself in the same breath and gave a small, sheepish grin, nodding.

"Equinest Greivous has been giving me some lessons, so I try to be here as early as possible to help him with the horses," she grinned at the woman, enjoying the break in the lull of the morning chores.

"Evelyn speaks."

Salsola
The Arbiter
Mads
Witchlight Winter

POSTED: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:37 am

[WC: 342] If you want to have Evelyn pick and saddle up a horse in your post, I can have them start on the trail in my next one!

There was plenty of wrong about the way Morgana viewed the world and the things in it. Mostly, though, she enjoyed the rights of her name and her station. Here in Salsola she was more than just another trader, and here she had clout. Little by little she would seize the things which she desired and accumulate a wealth to rival that of her peers.

Eventually, the horse would belong to her. She therefore saw nothing wrong with already treating the stallion as if she was his only master.

Oh yes, I agree. Did you know some came from war? Some of the exceptionally primitive ones belonged to those fanatics from the west. I've thought about commissioning better ones, but the cost can be astronomical and I'd like them properly tailored. There are people in Portland who can do it, Morgana rambled on. But I suppose for now we must make do with what we can.

She was certain that Salsola had within its collection some of the finer tack than most she had seen, but plenty of it was not made by their people. This made the product inferior, if only for being sullied by Outsider hands. It was an unfortunate fact, but exceptions could be made. After all, Morgana had been born beyond native soil (though she did not mark this against herself, being one such exception).

There was something about Evelyn that Morgana liked. It might have been her genuine nature, which was pleasant and nice in the way so few in their Kingdom seemed to be, or perhaps the sharpness of her face and pretty way her hair fell in long, curling waves.

Does he now? Morgana looked beyond where they stood, but found the gray wolf had long vanished. He was not as talented at disappearing as his father had been, but this was not all bad.

Inspiration struck her and the witch smiled deviously.

Miss Evelyn, she purred. How would you like to accompany me on my trip? I would adore having someone to talk to.

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Mel
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 pm

(351)

<3 Here is a picture of Evelyn's new hoss.

Evelyn's ears perked up atop her head as Morgana explained that some of the saddles they had acquired - the more flashy ones - came from war from the west. The young woman did not entirely understand the use of such saddles as she had preferred a more plain, leather saddle than something bright and fancy. It just seemed burdensome and completely contradicted her own nature of being reserved and hidden, especially in the lands of the Thistle Kingdom and especially when she would begin using her horse for hunting.

Portland. She had heard mention of the place many times but had yet to make the travel there herself as it was quite a long trip and she hardly spent a day or more away from Salsola. Being outside the borders made the girl feel a little uneasy, but if she had a companion it would make the trip a little more bearable. Perhaps, one day, Morgana would travel to Portland and Evelyn would accompany her on the trip. Helena had offered to teach her more about ways of trading as well, perhaps even she might offer to take her.

Morgana seemed to ponder her statement of the Equinest taking her under his wing, honestly, the silence for the moment seemed a little discerning until a devious smile spread across her foxish features. It threw the girl off for a moment, but she could not help but smile and nod vigorously.

"I'd love to go with you on your trip!" she said a little too excitedly. "Just give me one second!" she said, holding up a finger before disappearing down the hall of the barn. She quickly rallied up her new mount that had been a birthday gift from her father and papa. She quickly and deftly worked to saddle and get the reins on the animal, and a few moments later the blonde girl lead him down the hall, peeking around to see if Morgana was still around.

"All ready!" she beamed, awaiting to mount the animal when they got outside. She was eager to follow the woman and awaited her lead.

"Evelyn speaks."

Salsola
The Arbiter
Mads
Witchlight Winter

POSTED: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:17 pm

[WC: 210] sorry this is short!

The adolescent – adult as she as in the eyes of Salsola, she was still thin and girlish in build – scampered off with great delight. Morgana stared after her.

Had she been so full of energy as a girl?

Morgana couldn't recall. Her sleepy childhood in the Chesapeake had stunted her climb to a position of proper power and notoriety. Had she been born here – oh, had she the chance!

Being as she placed both the blame and regret upon her parents, Morgana was not deeply touched by a memory now more blank-space than anything else. All that mattered now was her future. She had worked so hard to secure it, after all.

Evelyn returned soon enough. The horse she led was unfamiliar to Morgana, who eyed it curiously as they left the barn. She mounted Pythios with well rehearsed ease.

Wonderful, Morgana said once Evelyn had done the same. We've got a few stops to make, but nothing terribly far. Come along then! She might have been talking to the horse, for all the sing-song warble in her voice.

They were only a few feet down the trail when Morgana spoke up again. You must tell me, Evelyn, who is this pretty lady you have with you?

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Mel
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:49 pm

(428)

No need to apologize!

It had only been about a week and a half since she was gifted this present by her father. There were no words that could describe how excited and blown away she had been when her father gifted her the beautiful stallion, decked out in the beautiful saddle and garb - maybe a little too showy for her tastes, but either way, she appreciated it so much. The saddle was comfortable and well built, she did not have any complaints about the gift she had hardly been expecting. He was a pleasant horse as well and already broken and therefore not too much work needed to be put in on her end. This was okay with Evelyn as she was still learning much about riding, especially more experienced mounts, that this was a pleasant surprise when she got to ride him straight away.

Evelyn had not put much thought into how incredibly lucky she had been born within Salsola considering her parent's history. There was no question about it even if her heritage was muddied with previous wars that she was not entirely aware of - especially her connections to them - with Inferni. Her climb within the ranks was entirely due to her own ambitions, but she did not need to prove herself nearly as much as an outsider would and already had a head start in that aspect.

The woman exclaimed in delight when Evelyn appeared once again, mounted and ready to go at the woman's words. They had a few stops to make and Evelyn was more than delighted to accompany her on her tasks. They rode along a little bit onto the trail before the fox-like female turned and asked who exactly she brought along. The horse snorted at the mention of a lady and flicked his tail and Evelyn could not help but giggle, he was a pretty thing for a stallion.

"He's a boy," she grinned, correcting her more out of amusement for her steed than out of any sort of malicious intent. "Unfortunately, he still does not have a name yet because we haven't found anything that has suited him, and honestly, I don't want to just give him a name, I'd rather him show me what it should be," she said, erring a little as she felt a little lost as to how to explain exactly how she felt about the whole 'naming' thing anyway. "He was a gift from my father for my first birthday. He is quite wonderful though isn't he?" she grinned, giving the stallion a pat on the shoulder.

"Evelyn speaks."

Salsola
The Arbiter
Mads
Witchlight Winter

POSTED: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:09 am

[WC: 205] sorry this is short!

Oh! Morgana exclaimed, and laughed. Well he will have to forgive me.

She was now further inclined to believe Evelyn was more talented than she was letting on. It was the nature of Salsola to encourage and push for greater, better things. For a young woman to seek the top was natural.

Having grand, beautiful things to display like a handsome horse was par the course.

He is very unique looking, Morgana went on, twisting her body to look over the animal. With his pale face and pink nose, he was bound to be noticeable. A painted horse alone was memorable. His deeper browns and stripes made her think of Blair, and Morgana felt a pang of loneliness. Reykja had long-since returned to the Fort, and it had been ages since Morgana made the long trek to Portland. The last thing she had likened to a friend had been Delfina, and that had been an unlucky choice on her part.

Names are important things, so I certainly understand why you want to wait for the right one. I would advise you to choose one sooner than later, though. There's power in a name, and you wouldn't want to leave yourself open to any ill spirits.

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Mel
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:24 pm

(359)

That's okay! Sorry for the delay!

The horse nickered lightly in response to the woman's correction and the ask of forgiveness. Evelyn patted him on the rear giggling in response to the woman's own laughter. While the horse was a little more decorated than she would normally prefer, she could not blame her grandfather for getting his little princess only the best pony he could find for her birthday. With all the glitz and gleam of everything that entailed as well.

"He is, I don't know where Opa got him, but I am very thankful to him for such a gift," she said with a tilt of her head as she looked the horse over. The horses of Salsola came in a wide variety of colours and coats, but nothing as beautiful as the steed she had bestowed upon her. Of course, she could not help but be biased as he was out rightly hers. He was a noble looking thing, which meant he must have cost a great fortune. Yet, Evelyn had little concept of the true value of things and wondered exactly how much esteem her grandfather held in order to acquire him. It was all over her head and she hoped he did not pay too heavily for such a price.

"Good point," she nodded in agreement with the woman, she did not need any ill misfortunes falling upon herself or her mount. Nor did she want that ill spirit to fall upon the kingdom itself. Tonight, when she got home to her bed, she would decided and bestow a worthy name on her animal. "Are we ready?" she asked, gathering the last of her items and tying her cloak snug around her so it would not get caught on any branches along their way. The excitement of travelling with Morgana bubbled up within her breast and threatened to spill forth like a gushing small school girl, but she remained poised, leading the painted stallion out into the early morning air before climbing up with ease onto his back and settling herself into the saddle, awaiting for the red-headed woman to take the lead and ready to follow into step beside her.

"Evelyn speaks."

Salsola
The Arbiter
Mads
Witchlight Winter

Dead Topics