my dreams climbed endlessly

like the kudzu in july

POSTED: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Alejandra Sanctus
draiko! lmk if i need to adjust anything. <3 +300

She was granted a day — an afternoon, more accurately. She wasn't to wander far, and she was to return promptly by sundown. Twilight seemed to arrive earlier now than before, which only granted her a moment's respite, but it was a welcome escape from the prison that was Andrew Greygrief's household.

Alejandra did not know where to even go, at least not at first; she stepped out of his home and immediately felt the grip of his suffocating choke hold lift. It wasn't quite the same freedom she had once known under his hand — it was ironic to even consider it freedom at all — but it was leagues better than remaining indoors. The slave had suffered long in her solitude; the month following her branding had been a lonely, grueling hell.

The rest of the Kingdom was hardly a step above the Apprentice's house, but it was just liberating enough to make her feel somewhat normal, if only for a few scant hours.

Wandering aimlessly led her to the Mendicants' quarters, either consciously or subconsciously. She had seen Silas in and out of the Greygriefs' periodically, as he was often tasked with watching her, but today it was not Silas she had sought out. Briefly she thought of Odalis, but she knew the doggish woman was probably tied up with the Queen and her endless tasks. But there was another.

The cooling weather seemed to irritate her scar tissue further; but then again, everything seemed to inflame and anger the brand at her back. Naturally, of course, she could never even begin to pretend it wasn't there. Even the clothes she wore couldn't hide it, at least not very well.

Clutching the thin scarf closer to her body, the wolfdog gave a small knock to the door, waiting only for a moment before letting herself in. She just prayed he was back for the evening and not already preoccupied with the Kingdom's nobles.

"... Micheal?"

Her voice was a small, insignificant thing, quiet and anxiety-ridden.

template by Kitty, image by @iriser

avatars by Jacob, Nat, Mandi and Katie • signature by Gen
Salsola
Indentured Servant
veldt
Luperci
flowers of naivety

POSTED: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:55 am

The day had proved to be a monotonous one. Not hard, or easy, just tedious. He had completed all the tasks assigned to him, taking care of animals, cleaning, butchering, general maintenance, and the list went on. The only thing that had made the day truly difficult was the constant, unrelenting cold. The ragged bear cloak didn’t look amazing, but it was warm, heavy and serviceable, keeping the cold out wherever it touched, which was really all Micheal cared about, he just wished it covered a little more of him . Finally having finished everything that was asked of him, he had hurried back to the small dwelling he shared with the rest of the packs’ property, shut the door and stoked a fire, careful not to set the place alight, but producing as much heat as he could coax from it.

His mind had been drifting, so when the knock came, the youth didn’t hear it. In fact, it was until he heard his name called that he realised he’d been dozing. Jumping out off his narrow cot, Micheal sprang to his feet, thee scar on his back tightening and stinging with the sudden movement. It was only once he was standing he realised that it hadn’t been a ranked member who had entered, but someone far more pleasant. Though the firelight changed the colour of her eyes, they were still bright and curious. Micheal wasn’t sure how, but any coordination and eloquence was swept from his head.

”Alejandra.” he blurted finally, doing his best to keep his grin from looking too goofy ”I didn’t realise we had a cooking lesson today?” he half asked, sure that he’d have remembered something like that, and realising he had nothing for the two of them to cook.

”Um…come here, sit by thee fire, warm yourself up. I’ve not seen you for a little while.”

He knew he was rambling, but it was as though his mouth were disengaged from his brain and all he could do was watch himself speaking.

”I..I saw your scar. What happened?” He asked, his tone full of concern and tinged with anger, he clearly tried to keep from his voice. Even indoors, Silas had pointed out, it was dangerous to be too critical of their superiors, not the older Mendicant ever seemed to be.
Salsola
The Mendicant
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Alejandra Sanctus
+300

Her teal eyes found him standing rigidly at attention, but he seemed to relax immediately once he realized it was just her and not anyone important. Her lips strained in a smile to match his, and she closed the door behind her before any more autumn winds seeped inside.

"O-Oh, well... No, we probably didn't." They hadn't had a cooking lesson in quite a while, a fact they both knew. Surely he had wondered what had kept her away, and she knew that he would ask eventually. "But I... I wanted to see you." She had missed Micheal's company more than she missed the lessons.

Sit by the fire, he urged, and the wolfdog only hesitated for a moment before complying; she settled close to the flame and rubbed her hands together near it, warming them from the painful tingling of the cold air. "Thank you," she said, though the sentiment perhaps did not sound as genuine as she would have liked. The isolation Andrew had put her through still poisoned her words, even to the Mendicant, sweet and inoffensive as he was.

Even though her body felt warm from the fire, the brand at her back seared icy cold at his question. The see-through scarf of course could not hide it, as much as she still vainly prayed that it would. For a moment she was quiet, but then the slave peeled the fabric from her shoulders, letting him see the Hand of Eris in all of its terrible glory.

"... I-I... disobeyed." Nowadays what had caused it was erased from her mind; it was almost as painful as the scar to think about it. It wasn't all the patriarch's fault, but it wasn't not his fault either — in the end, it did not matter. The brand in her skin assured that nothing like it would ever happen again. Andrew's knife knew her flesh well, and he would not hesitate to use it once more should she step out of line.

She looked to him, her sad eyes already wet from tears, but she brushed them away before they could roll down her face. "I don't... want to talk... about it... i-if that's okay." It hurt too much. Other servants could relate, she was sure. "At least... not... right now."

Aly tried to smile at him again. "How have you been? It's... been a while..."

template by Kitty, image by @iriser

avatars by Jacob, Nat, Mandi and Katie • signature by Gen
Salsola
Indentured Servant
veldt
Luperci
flowers of naivety

Salsola