More than the air I breathe

POSTED: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Word Count → 380
OOC → Late January 13th, Inara has been missing from the City Square since the night of January 10th

The ache her body had was undeniable. Her feet hurt the most with small cuts from the ice. The first thing on her mind was to go check on Marlys, but the horse wasn't there. Inara was worried but she was too worn out and tired to think about it. Instead she stuffed down the emotion she felt from her beloved horse missing because there was nothing she could do to find her right now. Inara was too tired to do anything but go to the storage and get her skirt and shirt.

She was surprised to see the door closed, as she knew in all their haste they left it open. She shoved it open with whatever strength she had left and peered in. Almost immediately her head hung. Her clothes weren't there. It was odd to feel naked without clothing. She was covered in thick fur, after all. With a sigh, Inara closed the door and made her way to King's Bastion where she could fall face down in her collection of pillows and blankets. For a moment she thought she could just go to her nice bed that was still in the Fort, but she decided she wanted to be up at the Bastion.

Even though it was just minutes of walking she felt like the journey back to her residence was miles away. Each lift of her foot from the deep snow was a pain. There were obviously tracks that she followed that cut a nice path through the snow that was just as tall as her, taller than some areas. She halted at the door of the Bastion, her lids heavy as she looked beat. In truth she was happy, pleased really. She just protected the kingdom. It was the hardest pursuit in her life, and she hoped to never have to do it again in weather like this. It was risky and stupid, but she was sure that what her, Teagan, and Kalypso did showed that New Caledonia meant business. Blizzard or not, they will take back their stuff and punish those with great prejudice.

Inara opened the door, and felt a weight move off her body at just being inside the Bastion. She could rest, and she would rest.

New Caledonia
Tavar
Bear
City Watch III, Heartward II If only it could have stuck
Tormented 'Soul
Devil in Angel's Clothing

POSTED: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:54 pm

If there was a deity of winter, their power and ferocity was greater than any other that Percival had experienced before. Even the burning of Krokar, whose fall he found was easy to blame on their inadequate worship of their River Goddess, paled in comparison to the blistering, blinding calamity that had assailed them. In the thick snowfall and the screaming wind, his senses became useless; he saw nothing but white, he smelled nothing but snow, he heard nothing but the roar of the storm. When he ran, the drifts tripped him and he felt nothing but eternal cold.

The entire Realm was drowning beneath a sea of frost.

He had helped to care for their animals, offering aid to move them from Rhovanion to the confinement of the Market Place, were the high stone walls blocked the worst of the wind and allowed Caledonians to keep them contained. Pim and Striebro were cooperative, though it was clear that the journey through the thick snow had taken a great deal of effort. Marlys, though...

Percival drew a hand down his face, rubbing his eyes with his index finger and thumb. Thinking of Marlys reminded him of Inara and his stomach did somersaults. He hadn't seen her since before the start of the storm, despite his efforts to find her in all her usual haunts. But the ice and the snow and the cold had hampered him.

And so did the memory of that day, when he spied Torabera slipping from Inara's quarters.

Pinching the bridge his nose, Percy blew out a sigh and opened his eyes. His stared at his closed door a long while, wondering if they were together. Some of him hoped that they were, because it would mean that Inara was safe. But it would also mean that there was something between them, and entertaining those thoughts left him with unpleasant and complex feelings that he didn't like.

So he tried to ignore them, and the sound of the movement outside his room gave him an excuse to.

Percival rose from his pile of furs that served as his bedding and closed the distance to his door without hesitance. Sticking his head outside his room, he looked out into the evening halls of King's Bastion. "Goddess," he breathed. "Inara? Is that you?"

[WC — 389]

New Caledonia
Tavar
Mandi
LuperciDiplomat II, Piscator II we were infinite; there was no time in those days They stole my dirty socks... :(
timshel

POSTED: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:54 pm

Word Count → 210
OOC → words

In the time Inara took to the shut the door from the elements and turn around Percival called out her name. The sound of his voice saying her name caused her heart to do something she didn't quite understand. She looked up and immediately the feeling of being naked felt stronger than ever. Then his words hit her more. She laughed and looked harder into his eyes, "No." She said letting the silence fall for a beat, "I'm a form from your imagination, Percival." She gave a crooked grin, and put her hands upon her hips, one leg shifting to let her right hip sway out.

"Honestly, Perc, I don't know anyone else that is marked like me, so of course it is me." She let out a light sigh, then began to move. Her movement not as light and graceful as usual from the pain in the pads of her feet. They may be tiny cuts, but damn did they hurt. "...so..I take it you missed me?" She asked with genuine air. Her teasing of him was done with now. She barely had the energy to pull it off, but she had to get in a little jest to lighten her own mood.

New Caledonia
Tavar
Bear
Tormented 'Soul

POSTED: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:52 pm

It was a dumb thing to say and he knew it the moment the last note of the last syllable of the last word faded into the winter air between them. His ears burned and, beneath the wiry fur on his face, so did his cheeks. He slipped out of his room, furrowing his brows and clearing his throat in that way that he had of attempting to hide his embarrassment. "You could be," he countered flatly, trying to ignore the way her posture made his heart quicken. "Considering..." With a wide sweep of his arms, he gestured broadly at the mess – both literal and figurative – that the blizzard had left in its wake.

He watched her move and wondered what was wrong. Because there was definitely something wrong. Percival knew Inara well enough by now – had watched her long enough and had danced with her enough – to know that her usual grace was missing. His brows furrowed more deeply, and the look on his face shifted to concern. When she spoke again, it was with sincerity.

"I— Of course I missed you! I was... I was worried." A twinge of guilt for having not searched for her pinched his heart. But in a rushing decent, something (Jealousy? Rejection? Humiliation? It was difficult to parse the complexity of what he was feeling) heavy and solid dropped into his stomach and he thought, again, of Tora. "You're hurt," he commented, a little flatly in his attempt to keep his emotions at bay. "What happened, Inara?"

[WC — 255]

New Caledonia
Tavar
Mandi
LuperciDiplomat II, Piscator II we were infinite; there was no time in those days They stole my dirty socks... :(
timshel

POSTED: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:17 am

Word Count → 602
OOC → words

Inara was taken back by Percival claiming she could be a figment of his imagination. "Are you unwell?" She asked with some amount of concern, "Never known you to hallucinate...thought that was my job." She joked while she continued to move toward her room ready to have some wine in hopes of numbing her feet pain and crash down in her pile of blankets, furs, and pillows. She mulled over his reasoning for potential hallucinating; the storm. The naked gypsy looked down apologetically. "..sorry Percy." She felt the strong feeling of guilt while her left hand reached out for her her door handle. Her muzzle lifted and her brown eyes looked into his, "...I know you care about me...but I tend to forget how much you care."

It was hard for her to realize the love of others. Milos was the first to show her healthy care and what a healthy family looks like. When she got caught up in day to day things, and a serious situation she regressed back to her core. The afraid pup who doesn't know what love truly looks like.

She opened her door and she smiled softly, her eyes looking over to meet his own, "...Percival. I would be lying if I said those words did not warm my heart. I don't like to worry you, but to hear that I am in your mind when I am not present...." She looked down deep in thought, "I think it is because...I think of you too when I'm not around you." Inara wasn't sure what she was trying to say, but hopefully he understood.

He pointed out her pain, and she felt her ears burn. She wasn't actively trying to hide it, but she didn't realize that she felt shame when he pointed out her injuries. "Yeah...the ice and snow and frost cut all my pads up.." She looked at her hands seeing the small cuts with dried blood working to scab over them. It wasn't just her feet, but her hands weren't supporting her weight so the pain wasn't so bad there. "...Teagan, Kaly, and I got stranded at Sugar Loaf when we caught some thieves that stole from our pack storage." She said simply finally going into her room, leaving the door wide open.

The ache of the journey weighed on her more now that she openly admitted to the injuries. She found her muscles hurt merely from bending down to grab one of her wine bottles. Straightening caused her to wince with the effort. "Goddess..." She begged. She moved over to the bedding and let herself fall back onto the pile. Despite all of the layers and padding her rump found the hard surface laying beneath, "Oof, not as cushy as I was hoping for...but, luckily, not painful.." She laughed before looking up to him with a grin.

Inara then went about the task of opening the bottle, "So...anything else happen while us girls were snowed in with some silly yearlings?" Her mind flashed for a moment to Marlys. She knew as soon as she recovered she would find that mare. Dead or Alive. Marlys was one of the most important living creatures in her life.

Uncorking her wine she drank a bit too liberally before she could worry too much about the mare. Her mind jumped to Tora, and she stopped herself from chugging the wine. She didn't want to drown her emotions in alcohol. That was not how she would deal with stress.

New Caledonia
Tavar
Bear
Tormented 'Soul

New Caledonia