We're going to get there soon

POSTED: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:22 am

His saddle bags were packed. He would be gone soon, and it would be many days before he returned. Something prevented him from simply heading out and on his way, and Alder could not understand why the sudden dependance. He hadn't been close to anyone, truly, since he moved out from his brother Haven's home. Yet there was still something that prevented him from taking to the road and heading north for his visit to Vinátta.

Wide shoulders fell as he sighed. He had been watching the old house so some time, longer then he naturally would, and was feeling the pressure to go to the door and knock. Alder had never approached the blue wolf in such a way, their meeting always casual. The day they found the mare was the only exception. It was not his way to seek out the audiences of others. He had hoped that Hati would be seen at the stables, but each day that passed they did not cross each other's path. His trip delayed and delayed while he waited. That could be no more. Alder walked slowly to the home, and hit his knuckles on the door twice before taking a step back and waiting.

His stomach fluttered, and he worried that he would be met by another of the Haskle-Catori family. He did not know many, other then Hati and his siblings. Skoll was one that Alder knew well, as well as Alder knew most folks, and their last conversation clung to his mind as he stood waiting.

Alder had long lost that battle of the kiss. He had decided that he would never understand and know why or how. Skoll's attitude had made him wonder once again, but in the end after a long fight he had submitted to the fact that it had just been an accident. His presence was work related, and that was all he would admit to himself. Black nose fluttered with a heavy breath and he stared at the door as he waited, hands clasped behind his back.

Alli
Luperci Time and Patience
STAY GOLD
L'âme honorée

POSTED: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 am

Regarde en toi, même pas l'ombre d'une larme
WC: 306
The knock at the door was jarring. They didn't get many visitors now that the Queen lived at the Hotel, and any family members dropping by rarely knocked, they would simply walk right in. Hati sat upright, setting aside the book he was halfheartedly flipping through. He had read everything in the house already. He needed to go looking for some new books, perhaps in the city. They were just a distraction though, not the passion they had been in his childhood. His heart belonged to the herd now, his thoughts always returning to the stables and their master.

He glanced about to see if Liam or Kable were coming to answer the door, but there was silence in the house. His brothers were probably out. His tall ears flicked, and anxiously he smoothed his mane as he walked over, patting down his fur to make sure he was not dusty from rummaging through the bookshelves. Hati drew a deep breath to calm himself, exhaling before grasping the door handle and swinging it open.

He immediately straightened in surprise when he saw the looming figure of Alder on his doorstep. He gulped nervously, his heart racing as he suddenly found himself tongue-tied. Was there a problem at the stables? No, Alder would not appear so serene, and besides, they would simply howl to communicate an emergency, as they had during the hurricane or when Hati found Luneth in distress. Luneth... was this about the wild mare? She was certainly proving to be a challenge, but she hadn't done anything to upset the Marshal, had she? He couldn't dare to hope this surprise visit heralded something good, not with this much tension in the air.

Pale eyes blinked owlishly up at the taller wolf. "Would you like to come inside...?" he offered hesitantly, finally finding his voice.
et ça fait mal, crois moi, une lame enfoncée loin dans mon âme
template by revo. stock photo by track-maidens.
Hati Catori
He is always seen wearing his moon necklace.
Hati may be accompanied by his niece, Esper.
(Art by Raze, Signature by Sie.)
My avatar rotates; credit here.

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu
Luperci Page Matchmaker: Romeo and Juliet Couple with Edgar!

POSTED: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:27 pm

oh alder....

Alder waited, his eyes leaving the door once he felt himself nearing impolite staring and roamed down to his foot-paws and the ground. Hie ears turned slightly at the sounds inside, and he straitened at the sound. Knowing that someone would be soon reaching the door. Alder took in a breath, awaiting the one that would greet him. He hoped it would be Hati, so that he may say his piece and depart with his duty done. The lines were all written out in his mind, explaining that he would departing for the Outpost and Vinátta and Hati would need to watch the stables. It was Hati's place and rank to do so, so Alder had been able to put aside any guilt that he was leaving too much on the male. It was the rank he had chosen, a Page had his place.

Hati appeared, looking surprised and no doubt sharing the tension that Alder held. Blue eyes looked at his midnight and gray face, taking him in for a brief moment. He gave a question, and it was not the one that the Marshal was expecting. Things has already gotten off script. Alder nodded, for despite even that he indeed wishing to go inside with Hati.

Once inside he looked around for the turn of a few seconds. It had been some time since he had been inside such a house, and he could hardly believe that Hati lived there. Alder saw him as reserved, bordering on humble, and the place seemed so large. I came to tell you I'm leaving. Alder thought to say, but instead he turned to face the male to face him. No that was not what he wanted to say, or at least not how he wanted to say it. I felt like you should know, I am going to go visit my family in Vinátta. Suddenly Alder was wondering why he was even standing there.

How are you? was what came out. He miles away from his rehearsed dialog, he no longer knew where he was at all.

Alli
STAY GOLD
L'âme honorée

POSTED: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:31 pm

alder~ <3! WC: 310
Alder nodded and followed him indoors. Hati drew a deep breath, trying to steady his nerves as he pulled the door shut behind them. He suddenly felt hyper-aware of everything around him - every speck of dust marring the clean surfaces, the disorganization of the bookshelves, every little thing out of place. This house was not his alone (Liam and Rio and Kable and Caroline could all walk in at any moment), but it reflected how he lived, and he had to resist the impulse to try and neaten up for this most important guest. Impressions were everything. Alder must be judging him right now.

"Can I get you a drink?" he offered politely, feeling somewhat exposed and yearning for a task to keep his hands busy. "We have, um, water..." There was wine as well, but Alder did not strike him as that type. They both seemed to prefer simpler things. Functional, practical. Yes, water would work, and perhaps there was food he could offer too. Alder didn't know Hati cooked, maybe he could impress the Marshal with something. No, no, that was a fool's fancy; they were professional and this was not a personal visit. Or was it? Weren't they friends as well? His thoughts were in disarray, thrown completely by the surprise visit.

"I... I'm doing fine," he replied solemnly, facing the taller wolf and not knowing what was expected of him. Alder always filled the dominant role in Hati's mind: teacher to student, master to apprentice, elder to younger. They were both adults now, but Hati still held onto some of the childish feelings of hero worship. He would wait patiently for his orders, and obediently do whatever Alder asked of him. "...How are you?" he added hesitantly, peering up at the pair of bay blue eyes. Why did it feel like something was bothering Alder?
Hati Catori

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu

POSTED: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 am

The taller male refused the offer. Oh, no thank you. he replied with small shake of his head. Though his throat and mouth were dry and beginning to hurt, he swallowed in the hopes of fixing that himself. He tried not to stare, but it was a delicate balance between that and positive eye contact. He looked at the house, the entry and then into the larger room that he was led to. It was all far nicer then his own cabin... Hati was uncomfortable, Alder knew that at the very least. He had been around him long enough to know the way his eyes moved and the shift of his stance that gave away his insecurity. It was unlikely that the blue wolf was even aware of it, just as Alder had his own clues that only others could see. With the question that appeared from the Catori male Alder remembered why he was here, and realized that there had been words he had practiced in his head before knocking on the front door.

I wanted to tell you that I'm leaving, for Vinátta. He looked at the male's face, feeling slightly relieved now that he was giving purpose to the surprise visit. I plan to visit my mother and my new brothers and sisters. He added for explanation after a moment's pause. I will be gone for some time, two weeks I think. The Marshal continued. He needed Hati to look after the stables, at the very least just a few times to make sure that the pack's communal horses were doing well. The rest of the pack could manage taking care of their own horses. But he needed eyes on the rest. Along the way there is a trading post that I'll be stopping at, for supplies for the stables.

Alder did not like to ask thing from others, especially when they were his responsibility. Though seeing his mother was important, as important as watching over the stables. Even if they did not live in the same pack, family was still the most important part of life. Can you look after the stables while I'm away?His visit shouldn't look so random with those words being said. Though comforted by the purpose now known, Alder waited for Hati to respond to his lengthy speech.

Alli
STAY GOLD
L'âme honorée

POSTED: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:39 am

WC: 509
His visitor did not want a drink, and so Hati folded his hands to keep them from fidgeting anxiously. He knew there was no good reason he was so nervous, but he was anyway. Then Hati's heart skipped when Alder spoke. He... was leaving for another pack?

There was a moment of stunned disbelief as he stared at Alder's earnest face, and jumped to the worst possible conclusion. Then came the explanation, and Hati breathed a sigh, relieved from his momentary shock. Of course it was just for a visit, of course that was the logical assumption to make. Hati was so foolish sometimes. Perhaps he had come to expect others leaving him. He nodded in mute acknowledgment, remembering how fondly Alder spoke of his mother and her sage advice. And new siblings, that was something to be celebrated! It was good for Alder to visit his family. Why did Hati still feel so forlorn? Two weeks was not forever.

"Of course I'll care for the stables, that's my duty," he replied easily, nodding his head resolutely. The responsibility was heavy to handle it all by himself, but he had to manage for the sake of the herd and to garner Alder's respect. "I won't let you down," he added more quietly, glancing to one side. By and large, Hati was a reliable apprentice, but he knew all too well the periods of time when his emotions had gotten the better of him, and his attendance had slipped. This would not be one of those times.

He swallowed, fiddling with his hands before curiously voicing a question. "What is the trading outpost like...? Do they have horses there?" Pale blue eyes flicked back to Alder's countenance. He had never been to such a place, as he barely ever left the safety of the Court. The concept was alluring, though -- the possibility of merchants peddling wares he had never seen before, or exotic horses from across the seas. Perhaps he should ask Alder to bring Luneth along... never for trade, but for the opportunity to breed her to a rare stallion. Hati had no desire to breed Asagi, as she was older and too precious to risk her health. Luneth was young and strong, though, and her fiery temper might be softened by motherhood.

He always knew training a feral horse would be a lengthy process, and he was patient as ever. But the idea of breeding her had crossed his mind more than once, enough that he had idly considered the stallions present in the court. There were no real stand-outs of draft descent other than Hawthorn, and he would never dare to ask for Hawthorn's service, Alder would never go for it. Oh, but it was such an imposition to ask the Marshall to drag Luneth with him for two weeks. Hati could never ask that. And here he was, lost in thought about horses again, completely missing what was important. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Congratulations on your new siblings," he added politely.
Hati Catori

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu

POSTED: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:30 am

Alder turned to look at Hati as he finished his own words, watching for a reaction and awaiting a reply. He took the moment, stole it even, so that he could catch any changes in his features. When Alder had seen Hati time and time again, day after day, he had gotten used to certain things. The way his dark mane fell against his neck and shoulders, or how silver tipped fingers moved with the desire to busy themselves; were nothing new or extraordinary. Ice blue eyes held something calmer and harder rather then the uncertainly and fragility that could be seen in them as Alder stood beneath his roof. Spilling news that was unexpected. Though Hati had never come across as confident as his sunshine sibling Skoll, Alder knew he held a certain strength. In his home Hati seemed more vulnerable.

Eyes moved to his black out-lined mouth as he took up words, and with the promise given Alder felt his own lips move into a smile. Alder would not have admitted it, but he had been worried that Hati would at some point want to give up his position as Page of the stables. A love of horses and the desire to ride and have a companion did not mean a commitment to the work of the stables was lifelong let alone momentary. Hati could quit, and only with the same repercussions that Alder would face if he desired to not be Marshall. They were steep consequences, the sorts that responsible creatures such as Alder and the Catori male did not take lightly. But no one would have their head... But ever since they had mistakenly kissed Alder's confidence in his Page had been riding on the ebb and flow of Hati's emotions. It was good to hear a form of the commitment spoke.

and, as Alder had hoped, his confession had turned the conversation (as well as his visit) towards something more positive. Hati asked of the outpost, and gave his congratulations. The Marshall hadn't lost the new softness in his face as he replied. Thank you, my brother came to tell me of the news. It had been grand news, and Alder could not be happier for his mother. She deserved such happiness, if any creature did. Alder took a breath in before addressing the matter of the Outpost, his stature following the rest of him and becoming more at ease. I have only heard a few things about the traders there, but from what I know they do have horses to trade. I was only planning on bringing Hawthorn and if I need it a pack horse, to bring some items for trade. I'm hoping for a new saddle and extra tack for the stables. He did not think it was like the trader's festival in the past, less vendors and less frill, but the wolf had always found that function surpassed fashion at every turn.

Alli
STAY GOLD
L'âme honorée

POSTED: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:50 am

WC: 303
When he glanced back, Alder was smiling. Hati was suddenly uplifted, and the nervous tension began to fade between them. He had said the right response. Alder still had faith in his apprentice, and Hati knew he would work his fingers to the bone if it meant seeing the Marshall smile again upon his return. That would be his goal, something to work toward for the two weeks they would be separated.

Pale blue eyes brightened, and he listened intently to the tall wolf speak about his family. He tried to picture them, a litter of infant Alders, and smiled to himself. "It's wonderful news. My own family will be growing soon as well -- my brother Liam's mate is expecting." His tail waved with the happy tidings. His family was finally recovering from their losses, moving forward at last.

Alder's posture eased as he described what he knew about the trading post. Hati swallowed carefully before voicing his next question. "...Perhaps... I could accompany you...?" Hati asked meekly, studying Alder's face to see how he would react. Would he welcome the company, or would he prefer to travel alone? If Alder said no, that would be the end of it, but he had to try. "I would only go to the Outpost, then I would return to the stables straight away. I could help carry the inventory for you, and bring the new tack back to Cour des Miracles so that you wouldn't need it in Vinátta..." he added quickly, trying to show his worth. He hoped he had not overstepped his boundaries. He would not interfere with the family visit, because he knew his place. As much as he was curious about Alder's family, it would be an imposition to insist he meet them. Instead he would make himself useful.
Hati Catori

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu

POSTED: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:13 pm

The entire pack had felt the loss of Hati's parents, and everyone knew how broken it had left his family. He remembered well how it affected the midnight-blue male, and how it had turned his heart and mind to depression and confusion. The news of new life within the family and the pack caused Alder to smile more greatly and speak with further excitement, That's wonderful. He spoke, words laden with sincerity. Being an Uncle is very fun. He added with a nod. The tall wolf knew from experience. In the end would Alder be a big brother to those in Vinátta? Perhaps not till they could travel and visit him. But it was more likely that he would be more of an Uncle as he was to Haven's children. Either way he would be happy.

There was a slight change in Hati that cause Alder to grow eager in his anticipation of the male's next words. The question was spoken with hesitation, though Alder didn't loose his smile. Hati didn't need to worry about what Alder would say, for the Marshall was surprised but excited at the prospect of Hati joining him. The stables would keep for a few days with the tending of other pack members until Hati returned, and then Alder would be only a couple days behind him and ready to work when he came home. Home to the horses and to Hati.

Yes, of course. The company would be nice, and I might need a second opinion on my trades. I have been told I could be swindled easily, too trusting I guess. This time Alder knew his prices, and the worth he held for certain items and what he was willing to give up for them. Having Hati with him might help deter those trying to hoodwink a lone traveler. Alder could not hide his feelings, and a smile was worn as he thought about the trip. He hadn't had much time with the other male since Hati's parents had passed, and Alder looked forward to getting reacquainted with the wolf-dog.

Alli
STAY GOLD
L'âme honorée

Dead Topics