'Souls Wiki FAQ

POSTED: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:11 pm

'Souls Wiki

Table of Contents

Basic Questions

What is the 'Souls Wiki?

The 'Souls Wiki is a is open to all members to edit -- it is basically a member-edited giant catalogue of many things related to the 'Souls universe as well as history and information regarding characters, packs, and so forth. You can create your own Character pages as well as your Players page. You can also help update the In Character history as well as Out of Character events and so forth, if you're looking to help out.

Who can use the Wiki? If I'm not a member of 'Souls anymore, can I use the Wiki?

Any current member of 'Souls is free to edit the Wiki. We prefer if non-members do not edit the 'Souls Wiki.

Can't I break something? Can't someone vandalize or delete my page?

Nope. The History tab is available on all pages -- if you break something, if someone vandalizes or deletes your page, you can simply revert the page to how it was before you/someone edited it! Please do let the 'Souls Assemblage know if someone vandalizes your page, of course.

How do I know what's okay and what's not the Wiki?

To get acquainted with the Wiki:

• Read over the GENERAL Guidelines on the 'Souls Wiki guidelines.
  • Read over the SECTION Guidelines for the section you are planning to edit (e.g., if you are adding a character, read the Characters guidelines; if you are adding threads to the History, read over the History section).
  • Read over the CODING Guidelines

That's the easiest way to get acquainted with our Wiki. In general, though, it's just common sense. Avoid touching "official" pages, keep it civil, don't edit or delete things that aren't yours, and assume all edits are made in good faith. For instance, if someone deletes your whole page and overwrites it with theirs, don't freak out! Firstly, it was likely an honest mistake. Secondly -- more importantly -- everything the Wiki can be easily restored through the History tab! Yay!

Wiki Code Basics

h4>How do I create a page? How do I delete a page?

See Creating New Pages and Deleting Pages.

• Make a link to your new page as if it existed (e.g., if adding a character, edit Characters and add your character to the list). When you save the Characters page, the link will be red and clicking it will let you edit the new page.
  • The other way is to manually edit the URL that needs to be created -- e.g., http://wiki.soulsrpg.com/index.php?n=Players.YourName -- and edit the page and save it. That works too, but is less safe in that your page name may not be what you desire. The safest way is to create a link.

How do I get acquainted with Wiki code?

It's very easy! If you've never done anything in a "coding language" before, Wiki formatting is a very good way to start. Additionally, we provide boatloads of templates -- so even if you don't know the PMWiki formatting language, you can still just replace some text in a template and you're good to go!

We do recommend starting off with a template. Make small changes, save or preview the page, and see what your small change did to the page. Did it break entirely? Just head over to the History tab and restore the last version of your page.

• Text Formatting Rules: A great place to start with, as you should recognize everything most this document states (paragraphs, headings, lists) as basic text formatting.
  • Basic Editing: This guide is great for newcomers, too. It provides similar information as the Text Formatting rules.
  • Documentation Index: Contains everything you'd ever want to know. This is advanced, so please get familiar with the other links first.

The When you're comfortable with what is listed there, check out the . You can do anything listed in there in Wiki-code!

Is there anything NOT okay, code-wise?

While the Wiki is open to edit, it's important to make sure the layout, general information presented, etc. is in line with our Wiki ideals. The point of the Wiki is easy reading -- so changing font styles, going crazy with colors, smooshing text together without any margins, and other related changes are generally not acceptable. Don't be afraid to customize -- but don't make your Wiki formatting so esoteric nobody else can edit your page, and don't make your page look radically different from the rest of the Wiki.

Advanced Questions

How do I add my character to the Open Characters list on the Wiki?

Add the following at the very end of your Character's page (there should already be similar tags at the bottom of your page, if you used a template: add this one at the end):

Code: Select all
[[!Open Characters]]

The Open Characters page is basically a category list. It lists all characters under the "Open Characters" category. Instead of listing each one individually on the page, which could get tedious to update, it instead uses a category tag (the [[!Open Characters]] that you put at the bottom of your open character's page) and automatically lists all the pages that have that tag at the bottom!

Can I make multiple pages for a character/family?

You may make multiple pages within reason -- e.g., for a character such as Tayui Aston or Kaena Lykoi with extremely long histories or for a family such as the Russos where there's a lot of information to be contained on one page.

Eight pages for one character isn't "within reason" -- nor do many characters need an entirely separate page for their history, so please use your best judgment.

Your "secondary pages" should still be under the same category as your primary pages -- e.g., if you're making a separate history page for the character Unibrow, you should make the page Characters/UnibrowHistory or something to that effect.

How do I redirect a page?

Edit the page and insert the appropriate redirect code. The section name and the page name should be as they are in the URL of the page you want to redirect to.

From within the same category (e.g., Characters to Characters redirect):

(:redirect PageNameHereWithNoSpaces:)

From within a different category (e.g., Characters to Families redirect):

(:redirect Section.PageNameHereWithNoSpaces:)

How do I do the toggling/show and hide thing?

See the documentation for the Toggle plugin.

How do I do multiple columns?

You can very easily build tables with PMWiki code. See Table Directives. Here's a simple:

(:table width=100%:) <<-- starts the table
(:cellnr:) <<-- starts a cell on a new row (hence the 'nr')
STUFF STUFF CONTENTS OF CELL
(:cell:) <<-- new cell in same row
STUFF
(:cell:) <<-- you can keep going forever, but remember how many columns are in your row!
STUFF
(:cell width=50%:) <<-- you can also set attributes to your cell, like so
STUFF
(:cellnr:) <<-- you're starting a new row now; your first row has four columns, so this row should also have that many columns
STUFF
(:cell colspan=3:) <<-- and you can just do that, if want (remember the first cell of the row counts as a column too)
STUFF
(:tableend:) <<-- ends table

How do I (code), like on (person's page)?

Edit their page, borrow the code, and find out. ;D Note that some players prefer if they are asked before you take code from their page. Other players do not care at all. Remember, also: templated code is always available for your pinching.

If that doesn't answer your question, see the Documentation Index.

Technique Questions

What's the easiest way to update the history pages?

Go through the pack's active IC forums, the Pack News forum, and pack Twitter accounts. A lot of things are announced in those three places! You can also through the IC archives, looking for threads with lots of repliers or lots of replies.

You can also totally start a new topic in the Wiki collaboration forum requesting players post some history to be added. Some players don't know how to edit the Wiki or don't want to, after all, but they might be willing to post things for you to put on the Wiki for them. ;)

'Souls Assemblage
The Few, The Proud
'Souls Assemblage
'Souls Assemblage

Wiki Collaboration