Preparing for the spring

p: Esther | borders

POSTED: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Claudius is at the borders. He's accompanied by Tiva Ajila and a packhorse, but they'll stay off to the side.
With spring upon them, Claudius realized that the tribe had a lot of work ahead of them. Winter had been late to begin, so the snow had not fallen until well into the season. This had allowed them to clean up a lot of the damage caused by the hurricane in the previous year, but there was still work to do done and larger structural problems to fix in some of the buildings. He and Ulilohi also had ideas for a number of other problems; namely, crafting projects. They had a few ideas to develop a flag or woven symbol for AniWaya, so Claudius hoped to trade some of their goods and maybe a sheep for more crafting items.

In particular, he needed more items with which to make tools. It was a roundabout way of doing things, but he'd rather be able to make his tools than rely on another pack that way if the time came, AniWaya could be self-sufficient. But he was also interested in acquiring as many tools and weapons as possible to buttress and build their supply.

Once he and Tiva neared the border, he sent out a call asking for someone to come trade. As he turned to say something to Tiva, he heard the sheep bleat, loud and annoyed. Since sheep could not be walked like a horse or cattle, they had resorted to putting it in the cart the horse was pulling. It wasn't too pleased and honestly, Claudius thought it was a little motion sick.

He and Tiva laughed and then settled down to wait.
Adopt Aether Creed in Inferni! Avatar by Libri and commissioned by Sylvey!Adopt Lucilla Key!

POSTED: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 pm

OOC: yay!

With the weather continuing to warm up, Esther was becoming more and more active. She had fed her cats and then sat on her porch to knit for a while, but that hadn’t lasted too long. The Elder wanted to get a little exercise, at least as much as her creaky joints would allow her to get. A walk out of Thornbury was doable, and so she shuffled back into her house to trade her knitting needles and yarn for her walking stick and one of her usual gaudy shawls. She left the door open for the cats to come and go as they pleased, and a white one appropriately called Whitey, decided to trot along behind her as he often did.

She moved slowly as usual and Whitey moved to pounced back and forth in front of her at things she didn’t see, but he seemed happy, so she didn’t mind. Esther made it to the Luminescent Lagoon, for a change of pace from her usual walk to the flower fields. Whitey didn’t seem to mind and continued pouncing at whatever he wanted. Esther looked over the water and watched a couple of birds fly by, although she couldn’t see them all too well.

Soon after she arrived, Esther heard a howl and her ears perked up. A glance at Whitey, who had looked up towards the source of the sound, told Esther the exact direction it had come from and she decided to investigate. The trip to the border took her a little bit of time and she was a little tired when she arrived. Whitey stood at her feet, looking at the packhorse while Esther looked towards the owner.

“Hello,” she smiled from a comfortable distance away. “I am Esther. Is there something I can do for you?”

Table by Myst | Photo by doug88888
Esther Hennamin

Myst
Luperci
crazy cat lady

POSTED: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Claudius was unsure whether Cercatori claimed a sprawling amount of land for a pack or if they were short on scouts, but it took some time before a wolf arrived. When she did, Claudius could tell why: she was quite old. He suspected that she was about Aranck's age and likely just as full of wisdom. Although Claudius did not speak with Aranck often, he now felt ashamed. If there was anyone in the tribe who could teach him more about his own tribe's culture, it was he.

He dipped his head in a short bow and Tiva did the same. The horse, being a horse, did nothing and eyed the newcomer warily, but did not otherwise move. She seemed to be rather even-tempered for a beast like herself.

"Huh-he-he-llo," Claudius stuttered in reply. "Wuh-we a-a-a-re huh-here tuh-to tuh-trade," he explained. "Wuh-we ha-a-ave buh-brought a shuh-sheep and suh-some o-o-other tuh-tools. I wuh-was wuh-wondering if yuh-your puh-pack had... a-a-any... items fuh-for... weaving? Or cuh-carving knives? Wuh-we nuh-need muh-more... tools... to muh-make tools, but... weaving items a-a-a-and... thuh-thread... wuh-would... buh-be a-a-also... a-a-a-puh-puh-preciated," he explained.
Adopt Aether Creed in Inferni! Avatar by Libri and commissioned by Sylvey!Adopt Lucilla Key!

POSTED: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm

With the way the other canine spoke, Esther had to concentrate very hard on understanding him. She was already hard-of-hearing, and the male’s stutter made things all the more difficult for her. Esther wasn’t sure she had ever spoken to someone with a stutter quite like his, though of course she didn’t comment, and even at her age, had the sense not to try to finish his sentences for him. Although she lacked personal boundaries sometimes, Esther did her best not to offend other canines. Her ears were turned directly towards him the whole time and Esther paused a moment after he spoke before answering.

“Well, young’un, I have some weaving supplies and plenty of thread,” she replied, her voice with its usual tremor that came with her age. Whitey began to move forward, ever curious about those who came to visit. He was the most social of her cats by far. For now, though, Esther didn’t want him to be underfoot of the horse, so she placed her walking stick in front of him to stop him from going towards their guests anymore.

“It is a bit of a walk back to Thornbury,” Esther said, her gaze shifting to the horse and cart. Then she would have to actually find some of her weaving supplies. She hadn’t done any weaving in quite a while, so she wouldn’t miss the tools. And if someone from her own pack took an interest in weaving, Esther was sure she had multiples of each tool, so they would still be able to borrow them.

“Follow me,” she said, and began to turn around. Whitey turned with her and darted ahead, looking back every so often. A few steps in, Esther turned back to ask, “What are your names, by the way?” She couldn’t refer to them as young’un the whole time they were here, after all.
Last edited by Esther Hennamin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esther Hennamin

Myst
Luperci
crazy cat lady

POSTED: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm

The Artisan confirmed that she had weaving supplies -- and thread! this was good -- and Claudius smiled in relief. For some reason, he had been preparing for her to turn him away or confess that they had nothing of the sort, but if any pack might, it was Cercatori d'Arte. Of all the southern packs, Claudius figured that this one was the most similar to AniWaya: like the tribe, Cercatori d'Arte had many skilled artists and traders; although, AniWaya was only just beginning to trade after getting back on its feet. The conflict with Cour des Miracles and Crimson Dreams had broken the spirits of many and the hurricane during the fall had wrought extensive damage to their tribe. He was glad that spring brought with it new possibilities to grow and evolve.

"Guh-great," he replied, somewhat belatedly. He always did tend to get caught up in his own thoughts.

Claudius saw her look at his cart and he wondered if she was hoping she might sit in it. He wasn't sure if it would work, but after a few moments, she turned and headed toward the interior of the pack, beckoning for him. Claudius jogged to catch up and fall in to step with the elderly female.

When she asked for his name, Claudius did his best to reply as plainly as possible: "Cuh-Claudius A-aston. I a-a-am the suh-subleader o-o-o-of Ani-wuh-Waya, and thuh-this is Tuh-tiva Ajuh-jila, a... a fuh-fire dancer. Unalihelitseti, guh-greetings, I a-am puh-pleased t-to muh-meet yuh-you."

POSTED: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Sub-leader? Esther’s posture became just a little bit more submissive, but not too much as her joints complained as it was. Mostly it was in the level of her tail and the angle of her ears, although her ears soon flicked towards him again so that she could better hear what he was saying. When Claudius introduced his companion, Esther nodded; she had no idea what a fire-dancer did, but she was sure it was interesting.

“It is nice to meet you both,” she replied. Esther wasn’t sure she had met many AniWayans before, so their pack was a bit of a mystery to her. Or maybe she had met many, and simply forgotten them. Either possibility was likely, really, since she had met so many people and it was beginning to seem like she could remember so few.

As she walked, Esther’s pace gradually slowed down as she grew more tired. Whitey stuck by her side, watching the other canines with them. Esther figured he was wishing everyone would stop so he could properly pounce on their feet or something of the sort. Soon enough, they came upon Thornbury, and Esther led the way to her house. There were five cats on the porch when they arrived, and several scattered at the sight of the unfamiliar canines while one stepped forward, clearly curious.

“Please, come inside,” Esther said as she pushed open the door to her cluttered home. “Now, what was it you were looking for?” She asked. “Knitting needles and thread?” That was an odd combination. Surely he would want yarn with knitting needles. Or perhaps it was sewing needles. Now she was all mixed up, and she turned, raising a wobbly hand to her chin while looking between her guests, trying to remember exactly what it was that they had wanted to trade for.
Esther Hennamin

Myst
Luperci
crazy cat lady

POSTED: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Claudius noticed that the wolf lowered her tail and flicked her ears down when Claudius mentioned that he was a sub-leader and he was both surprised and not surprised simultaneously. For one, since he was in Cercatori d'Arte, any rank he held in AniWaya did not necessarily have to be honoured. Though, since both groups were friendly, it made sense that they wouldn't play up their canine instincts as much. At the same time, he knew that he didn't really seem like a leader--most were strong and able to fight, so it sometimes seemed as though AniWayans were ignoring so many of their instincts with him at the helm. He hoped to train more so that he wouldn't have to dwell on this point as much.

Claudius and Tiva both nodded and smiled when Esther reciprocated their salutations, but neither spoke up. Claudius liked her--she seemed quite kind and if he had ever known his grandmother, he hoped that she would have been like Esther.

Once they arrived at a building, Claudius spotted a number of cats, all of different colours, lounging about. He had never seen so many! His jowls twitched and he itched to chase them off. Even if they tamped down their instincts, Claudius still found it difficult sometimes to see horses and cats as friends and not natural competitors.

He followed Esther in and Tiva volunteered to stay outside with the horse and the cats. Claudius wasn't sure what the appeal of cats were, but he shrugged and smiled. He didn't mind either way.

"I-I'm a-a-actuh-tuh-tually... luh-looking... fuh-for... thuh-thread... wuh-we ha-ave muh-many bone needles fuh-for suh-sewing, buh-but wuh-we nuh-need supplies... fuh... for... wuh-weaving... we... ha-ave... a... loom... and... other tuh-tools, suh-so a-a-a-nything... tha-a-t... many... help... wuh-would be... muh-most a-appreciated," he explained. He wasn't too sure what exactly they needed now since he wasn't a weaver. In fact, Simcha was trying to weave, but it was proving to be more difficult than he'd anticipated. Claudius wished he had asked Simcha to come along on this trip now.

"A-actually... I'm... nuh-not tuh-to... suh-sure h-ow thuh-this... works, so... if you... have any... ideas, I would be... more than happy... to hear them," he admitted.

WC: 367

POSTED: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:24 pm

While Claudius answered her question, Esther listened intently and nodded along. One of her cats ambled up to him to sniff his feet, and Esther watched the feline closely. She didn't want him to decide to try to play with their guest, in case Claudius didn't want to play. He was here to trade, after all, not to play with the cats. A couple of the other cats who were still inside decided to go outside to check out the horse.

"Ah yes, excuse my mistake--memory isn't what it used to be. That makes more sense," she smile and turned to begin rummaging around in one of the cabinets. "I have not done any weaving in years, so I will have to search a bit for the tools." Weaving had never been her specialty, but she had the supplies around, just in case someone had come along wanting to learn. The Elder wasnt even sure if the tools were stored together anymore.

"Ah-hah, here's one," she held up a comb-like tool that had been carved from wood. She couldn't remember who had carved it anymore, just that it had been copied from a human book by looking st pictures. "This is used to help keep threads separate," she explained while setting it on the table. The cat that had been previously sniffing Claudius hopped up on the table to inspect the tool while Esther continued digging in a different cupboard.

"Oh, turnip, my thread is kept in that cupboard there," she pointed with a quaking hand to a door behind Claudius. "You may see if there are any colors you like, if you wish." In the cupboard would be baskets holding threads of many colors, wound around spools made from bone. She preferred the brightly colored ones, herself, since they made the prettiest clothes, in her opinion.
Esther Hennamin

Myst
Luperci
crazy cat lady

POSTED: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Claudius was a little surprised to see a cat at his feet and had to stop walking so that he didn’t step on it. He edged around it as Esther bustled around her home, clearly at ease and completely aware of where all of her possessions were. Her home appeared to be an old human structure; though, like most buildings, it was beginning to show its age.

When she apologized he shook his head and smiled good-naturedly. It was no problem at all, especially since he himself knew so little about this. He was just glad that he knew enough to point out the difference. She explained that she hadn’t weaved in some time, so it might take a bit longer, but Claudius didn’t mind. He turned to glance over his shoulder and saw that Tiva was interacting with some of the cats. Judging by the grin on her face, she didn’t mind too much either.

He was about to ask her a question when she held up a comb of some sort, her declaration indication enough that it was some sort of tool involved in weaving. Having twisted his body to face his host, he decided to move closer to investigate it (whatever it was). He leaned in closer as Esther explained the item’s purpose and was surprised a second time when the cat from the floor leaned in to investigate with him.

Esther suggested that he take a look at the cupboard behind him, so he turned and scanned the wall opposite to him. He opened up one cupboard and then a second cupboard after his first attempt bore him no thread. Once he found the thread, he picked through a few of the spools, searching for the brightest colours she had. He picked four to show her and turned around, holding them in his hands.

“Thuh-these are q-q-quite buh-beautif-fuh-ful,” he said. “Wuh-what would… you luh-like in e-e-exchuh-change… for these thuh-threads, thuh-that comb, a-and a bit o-of instruh-struction… on huh-how this wuh-works?” He was genuinely curious, both as a Trader and Craftsman in the tribe. Esther was proving to be highly knowledgeable and he was excited to learn more.

WC: 361

POSTED: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:24 pm

OOC: The combs look like this and the loom is something like this one. I don't know how well those combs would actually work with that loom (I don't actually know anything about weaving) but this is Esther, after all... hah.

IC:
After finding the one comb-like tool, Esther in she would need to hunt down her small loom. Having the comb was all well and good, but it would be quite useless on its own, unless someone wanted to use it in their hair, which she supposed it would also work fine for.

Claudius spoke again and Esther turned around. She set down the basket she was moving to walk over and lean in while inspecting the threads with squinted eyes. "Oh yes, those are quite lovely," Esther agreed with a smile, "You picked out some good ones." She stepped away while he asked about what she would want in trade. The Elder brought a shaking hand to her chin while she thought.

"Well, turnip, I am not quite sure yet." She had heard and smelled a sheep in the cart, and while she wouldn't mind having it for the pack, she wasn't sure if what he was getting was worth a sheep. "First, why don't I give you that demonstration?" She shuffled back over to the cupboard she had been searching. "First I just have to find my loom."

"Ah, here we are," there was a clatter as some things fell out of the cupboard, and then Esther withdrew a wooden frame held together with pegs. It also had more pegs stuck in it, spaced out around the frame.

"Now, I also need...” Esther trailed off, squinting around on the floor at the other things that had fallen out of the cupboard, “Ah,” and she bent to pick up a smooth stick. She brought them both over to the table, along with the comb from before. “If you would bring me that basket of thread, please, turnip, I will see if I remember how to do this." She set the frame down on the table and looked up at him.
Esther Hennamin

Myst
Luperci
crazy cat lady

Dead Topics