Teach me to inscribe these words on my heart

p. Hati; Stables

POSTED: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:36 pm

(300+) For Hati, stables. Midday. Clear skies out/sunny.

She had allowed herself to part with her daughter to get things done today. Liam had offered to spend some quality time with his daughter, and after wearily thinking every possible thing that could go wrong, she finally left the child in his hands. Nothing would happen. Liam was a good father.

Rio made her way to the stables – Vitalia’s stall undoubtedly needed to be mucked out and she hoped that someone had at least provided her with food while she was gone. It didn’t take Rio that long to get to the stables, since she was kind of rushing. When she reached the building,, she slipped inside and noted that there were others there as well. She went straight to her mare’s stall and peered inside.

Yes, there was a couple piles of horse poop. Vitalia squealed when Rio popped her head in, and moved over to nibble on one of her black curls. Rio patted the horse’s nose gently, ”I’m sorry, girl. I’m gonna get you cleaned up today.” Then she turned and moved back down the hall to get some supplies. She took a wheelbarrow and a pitchfork and went back to the stall. She led Vitalia out of the stall – noticing the horse had no food left either. She hoped that no one had allowed her to starve for two days. Rio positioned the mare by a bale of hay and tied her to a bar on the windows. Immediately, the two-toned horse began to eat and that told her nothing because Vitalia was always eating.

Rio patted her rump and took the pitchfork into her stall. She started scooping up poop with hay and dumping it into the wheelbarrow. It was a tiring process that she wished she didn’t have to do, but she did want to have a horse. She loved her horse. She only wanted the best for Vitalia, and the best she was trying to give her.

Sammiie
Luperci Medic
SINK BELOW THE GROUND

POSTED: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:27 am

<3! [500+]

Hati was seated atop an overturned bucket, gently running the brush through Luneth's long tail. The wild mare trusted him enough for simple maintenance like this, no longer aiming kicks at him whenever he attempted to clean her stall or lead her to the paddock outside. He still had to be careful, though. Just days ago he had tugged on a snarl in her mane, and she nipped his shoulder. Slow and steady, that was the mantra. Hati had to admit, the draft mare frightened him sometimes. Her temper and size made her dangerous, but he couldn't help but feel there was an odd connection between them, the way she kept appearing to him before he had to save her life. He was beginning to see proof that his patience was paying off, though he was certain it had more to do with Alder's gift at communicating with the herd. He was nowhere near riding Luneth, so his trusty Asagi got far more exercise.

The skewbald mare huffed impatiently, shifting her weight from hoof to hoof. She would only grow more irritable the longer he kept her waiting, so it seemed today's session was complete. He stood, smiling gently as he set aside the brush and bucket, and took her by the halter. It was a short walk from the stall out into the midday sun, and the big horse was already tugging, trying to steer him to the pasture. "Tu es tellement impatient, ma chère," he murmured fondly as he swung the gate open. Luneth charged into the paddock, white gossamer mane and tail streaming behind her. She looked so much stronger than she had on the wintry day she had been brought here.

Feeling content, Hati latched the gate and meandered back into the stables. He was happy to spend all day here, but there was always something to be done. Plus there was Esperanza back home who always needed attention, and the infant Valencia who might need babysitting. His life was suddenly full of good things, a rare feeling for the solemn male. His tall ears perked up at the familiar sound of a pitchfork mucking out a stall. He had done that chore himself countless times, as it was part of the profession he had chosen. He liked the repetitive simplicity. Most of the Courtiers did not bother with the day to day maintenance for their horses, so Hati and Alder picked up the slack. Who was going the extra mile today?

He rounded the corner and saw one of the mares tethered nearby, pleasantly munching away on a hay bale. She was a more recent addition to the stables, so Hati was uncertain who she belonged to until he peered into the stall. "Rio, you don't have to do that, let me help you," Hati quickly said, darting to her side. "It's my job anyway, and you just had a baby! Don't wear yourself out." His ears fell back with concern, wanting to ensure that Rio wasn't going to overexert herself.

Stock photo credit here | Template credit here
Hati Catori
He is always seen wearing his moon necklace.
Hati may be accompanied by his niece, Esper.
(Art by Raze, Signature by Sie.)
My avatar rotates; credit here.

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu
Luperci Page Matchmaker: Romeo and Juliet Couple with Edgar!

POSTED: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:12 pm

(300+) For Hati, stables. Midday. Clear skies out/sunny.

She might have gotten at least two pounds of poop into that wheelbarrow before Hati appeared at her side attempting to take the pitchfork from her. Normally, she would have argued and stubbornly continued – but she was tired and lazy. She didn’t really want to do it – and if he was going to do it – somehow, it was still going to get done. She surrendered the pitchfork to him, ”Ah, thank you, Hati.” Then she moved out of his way and stood in the doorway of the stall door. ”I didn’t know you were in here all the time – and I didn’t see you before, so I figured to just take care of it myself. But thank you for coming to the rescue.” She offered a smile to him. He did save her day.

Since most of the entrance had been cleared away, Rio moved to push the wheelbarrow more into the stall so that she wasn’t in the way of it anymore. It was closer to Hati to give him a break and it was away from Rio to give her nose a break. Old horse poop was stinky. Vitalia nickered behind her and she turned to look at the mare over her shoulder. Next – she would have to wash Vitalia. It was about that time to brush her and water her down to get all the dust out of her coat. That she opted to do.

”How’re you doing today, Hati?” Rio watched him work, relieved that it was no longer her. Her body was physically exhausted – and her mind was getting there too. She was a lot more forgetful these days, but maybe it was from the lack of sleep. Valencia was very needy during the night, and Rio thought to maybe change her sleep schedule to sleeping all day, and up all night with Valencia. That way, she still got a few hours of rest.

Sammiie
Luperci Medic
SINK BELOW THE GROUND

POSTED: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 am

[304]

Hati was relieved when Rio did not protest. He was not particularly skilled at asserting himself, and nodded gratefully when she moved to the doorway. "It's really nothing, just my duty," he assured her as he accepted the pitchfork. 'Coming to the rescue' was a bit of an overstatement, but he was glad to help her. Rio was a part of his family now, and he was ever the devoted brother. Anything she asked of him, he would comply.

"I go riding every day, so we might have missed each other," he explained with a small smile. "But basically if I'm not at home, I'm here." That was how it had been for seasons now, a routine that fit him perfectly. It was last spring that he had first started coming here, barely after his first shift and seeking a trade to learn. The stables captured his heart, and under Alder's watchful eye he had slowly learned what he needed to know about the horses, as his brother Skoll had taken up combat, and his sister Charlotte was groomed for leadership. They had all achieved their goals now, a year later. He liked to think their parents would be proud.

Rio pushed the wheelbarrow further into the stall, and Hati set to work, deftly scooping the soiled hay and dumping it into the receptacle. Repetition had improved his speed, as this was a task that used to take him much longer. He tilted his head, considering Rio's question without breaking the rhythm of pitchforking. "I'm doing well, although I suppose I'm tired. Between working here and looking after Esper, I don't have much energy left at the end of the day. How is motherhood treating you?" he added politely. Rio did look tired, but it was too be expected. Valencia was still so young.

Hati Catori

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu

POSTED: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 pm

(300+) ooc.

Rio smiled and nodded at his words, even though he wasn’t looking at her. ”It’s always good to work with a task that you enjoy. Yours is horses, mine is medicine.” She was aspiring to become a medic within the pack. She watched him work, eyeing his movements and feeling more and more tired each time he hauled more poop into the wheelbarrow. ”So, this is your second home.” She made a friendly assumption, and as he looked up at her, she offered another friendly smile.

”Eh, it’s definitely tiring, but as long as my daughter is happy, I’m happy. How is Esperanza?” She recalled him talking about his niece and began thinking – when did he start taking care of her? One day he was normal, old Hati – and now he had a Esperanza to take care of. It was quiet between them for a moment and all Rio could hear was Vitalia’s heavy grinding of hay that she was munching on behind her. ”Hati, how did you get Esperanza? I mean because I know her mother is not here… and one day, she was just here - and before she wasn't. How did it all happen?” She knew this was a touchy subject for the child, but she felt like it was a casual enough subject to ask her brother-in-law. She was curious, and she was part of the Catori family – so she was entitled to a little gossip and history, no?

As her mind was set on Hati's adoptive daughter, she thought of letting Valencia play with her someday. If she continued seeing Hati like this, she would learn more and more about the girl. Rio loved pups and she knew she would ask how she's doing frequently. She would get to know her more each day by just asking him things about her.

Sammiie
Luperci Medic
SINK BELOW THE GROUND

POSTED: Tue May 14, 2013 3:45 am

whoops sorry for the wait on this <3! [434]

"Medicine... certainly a useful profession, but not one I can handle," he admitted with a rueful glance. Rio already knew why firsthand. In a family of warriors and healers, Hati found himself too softhearted for either calling -- the scent of blood, the sight of pain, it overwhelmed him in a way that seemed to get worse every time. It was still embarrassing to him, but now that he knew his true calling, he no longer felt so insecure about his flaws. "Horses... they just make sense to me. It is like a second home, definitely." His smile grew warmer, more relaxed. Being around the horses helped him to loosen up when he was normally polite and guarded. Case in point, he had no qualms about opening up about Esperanza.

"Esper's doing much better now. She wants to see and do everything, even though she should still be resting," he explained softly. He smiled sadly, remembering the poor condition she had been in. Thanks to Liam's herbal remedies, the pup's cough was no longer endangering her. "We found each other just by chance. I traveled with Alder to the northern Outpost, and he remained for a stint of time in his mother's pack, Vinátta. I was heading home with our supplies, and I stopped at the river to let the horses drink. And there was Esperanza all by herself." Some of his family followed religion, others did not. Hati had not put his faith into anything specific, though he was open to spirituality. If there was a force of good influencing events, it had surely pushed him and Esperanza together, because she would have perished had he not stopped at that exact bend of the river to water his horses.

"She didn't tell me much about her home, but she said she fell in the river after wandering in search of a sibling. She must have been carried by the water quite some ways. I intend to bring her back home someday soon, but I'm afraid she has no idea how to get there." Hati shrugged, trying not to dwell too long on the guilt he felt. He knew bringing her to the Court was the opposite of what her mother wanted, because Amaranth had purposely left before her litter was born. Liam's letter would get to her, and soon they would know exactly what Amaranth intended to do about it. He was dreading that read. Hati shook his head, digging the pitchfork in deeper to distract himself. His eldest sister scared him, and he hoped Esper wouldn't have the same legendary temper.

Hati Catori

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu

POSTED: Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 pm

(300+) ooc.

Rio could understand why horses would make sense to Hati. They were living beings just like himself that acted and breathed – and there wasn’t reading or training involved to take care of them. One was just able to learn as they went, and she could relate to an interest in that way. Though, it was nothing that she did. Her profession required a lot of reading and practicing – and pain and blood.

She listened and watched him work. He spoke about Esperanza and how they met, or rather, how he found her. It was destiny – somehow. No matter what religion they believed – Hati was meant to find her, and she was meant to find him. ”It was destiny. Maybe that sibling she was searching for was you.” Though, he would be more like an uncle rather than a sibling. And if Rio knew the crazy details that were entwined with Esperanza’s birth parents, she would understand that Hati was a little more a brother than he was an uncle.

”Once Esperanza is feeling better, I’d like her to meet Valencia. They could play together, and at least she could have a friend in the pack of similar age.” Rio offered him a smile. She never pictured him the caretaker type – well, of pups anyway. Horses, yes. ”Well, I’m happy to hear that she is well – and getting better from the condition you found her in.” There was nothing worse than sick puppies. If Rio was able to suck in all the child illnesses in the world, she would happily die from them all just to know that the children would be free from disease.

”Esperanza is… Amaranth’s daughter?” She heard Liam talking about it a couple of days ago. She didn’t really know all the history, and honestly, she didn’t need to know. It was none of her business and it was before she joined the family. Rio shifted and fluffed her curly hair, noticing a piece of hay falling out of it and onto the ground. She looked down and noticed a few sticky balls attached to her silken fur and brushed them off hastily. Here she was standing there with all this stuff stuck to her fur. There was probably more on the back of her, too.

Sammiie
Luperci Medic
SINK BELOW THE GROUND

Dead Topics