Love to be the underdog.

All Welcome!

POSTED: Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 am

  Out of Character
Word Count: 394

  In Character
The sun was just starting to break over the horizon and for some reason, Lochlan Stormbringer had been unable to sleep. This was despite his strongest attempt to fall back asleep when he had woken up in the twilight hour. It hadn't worked, though, and so he had reluctantly stood up. Running his fingers tiredly through his mane, he looked at a lump of covered cloth that he assumed was his sister, still happily snoozing away. It was tempting to wake her up - a quick, brief flash of mischief - but he didn't want to force her to lose sleep too. Besides, then she would just be grumpy with him all day. That would hardly start off his early morning any better than just tumbling out of bed by himself and making his way into the outside world. He could wish her a good morning later, in a nicer way than leaping on her.

One small blessing was that when he stepped out into the morning light, it wasn't bright at all. His eyes easily adjusted between his home and the outside world. He stretched his arms up to the sky, feeling muscles tense and relax across his upper body as he warmed them up. It was important to stretch everything out to prepare for the day. Impulsively, he decided to go for a run. That wasn't usually his area of interest, but it felt appropriate given the early hour and the need to really wake himself up. For despite being awake mentally, his body was still sluggish and he needed to get it warmed up for whatever came his way. Perhaps he would go out farther into neutral territory than he usually did; there was time for it, after all!

For now, though, he wasn't thinking that far ahead. After very briefly stretching out his legs, he set off at a run. It was about at this point that he remembered he hadn't really run too much in his new form. It felt awkward but he tried to stick with his body's natural rhythm. The more he tried to think about what he was doing, the harder it became to run. So Loch just cleared his thoughts and let his body do what it wanted to do. He had no real destination in mind, but was headed somewhat absentmindedly toward the borders.

Table by Ninette!
Last edited by Lochlan Stormbringer on Thu May 30, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Thu May 30, 2013 11:14 am

Hope you don't mind a Val here! [315]

Bleary eyes pealed open slowly, a muffled yawn bursting from his maw, closing them once more. Still growing legs stretched out, kicking into the wall he had fallen asleep beside. Mornings were quite possibly the greatest challenge of everyday, so comfortable in the arms of sleep the youth always found it a struggle to make himself wake up, even knowing that he had the whole day to adventure and play away, the soft whispers of gentle dreams always called to him come sunrise.

After turning over a few times and debating the great problem of whether to sleep longer or get up an do something, the mud-pup rolled onto four legs, padding towards the curtain of furs that covered the entrance to his family home, eyes shielded behind their lids as he awaited the onslaught of bright sunshine. Seconds passed and only then did he peer out from beneath them, noting the muted light rather then the blinding one he had expected.

Bowing down he yawned once more, completing his morning ritual. It seemed too early for his siblings to be awake and willing to challenge the world, Sóli to probably wouldn't be all that impressed with him if he decided to come see her so early. Ruling out his options one by one, the Coeur youth eventually decided up heading over to the gardens. Lifting somewhat oversized paws, he picked his way through the village and out into the mass of trees, where upon an unfamiliar scent reached him, yet he was sure he'd encountered it before.

Unable to recall why the scent was familiar he began following it, increasing his pace slowly and winding his form through the various foliage that filled his home. As he believed himself to have grown closer to whomever he was following, the wolfdog slowed to a halt. “Hello?” his clear voice called out, loud and young sounding.

Images courtesy of dawnthieves, Template by Aso

Funny how in just one moment, things can turn upside down.
Wish I could turn back time to when you were still around.

Kitty
Luperci
Swamp Monster

POSTED: Thu May 30, 2013 11:55 am

  Out of Character
Word Count: 340

Not at all, thanks so much for joining! :D

  In Character
He ran faster, enjoying the feeling of the cool air against his face and across his body. His breathing was comfortable so far, the pacing well suited to his size. Lochlan had no desire to wear himself out or to run until his lungs burned. It was all about warming up and preparing for a day filled with whatever might come his way. Which currently was just a lot of foliage and dampness. Dew was flying up as he ran, coating his legs in a light moisture that cooled him off even as his pumping blood warmed him up. It was a fun sensation for him, the cooling and heating that balanced out to a pleasant warmth.

A voice startled him. He had thought he was paying attention to his surroundings, but apparently not as carefully as he had thought. Loch half-turned and unfortunately overextended his front leg, causing him to fall on his face with an oof as the air whooshed out of him. Though his breath was still knocked out of him, he was able to pull himself up into a sitting position and look over at the younger pup. The other boy looked familiar, but a name didn't immediately rise to Loch's mind. Perhaps because they hadn't spent a lot of time together. Loch mostly spent time with his family currently, so that made sense.

"Hey." he managed to get out between puffed breaths as he tried to draw his breath back into his chest. "Uh, I'm Lochlan. Have we met before?" the boy smiled awkwardly, almost apologetically. After all, if they had officially met, it was kinda rude that he didn't know the other youngster's name. Well, that could be resolved right now. Lochlan could already feel his awkwardness - which seemed to exist solely around other males - rising. He much preferred the company of girls, but hey, maybe now was a time to start working on that. Eventually he had to get better at social interactions with other canines of his gender, after all.

Table by Ninette!
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:54 pm

He's a little odd ball at times. Really o.o He's also a complete smelly thing; covered in mud and god knows what.[345]

Throwing himself back the youth landed, legs spread and head held low, lips pulling back to reveal teeth a fraction; a reaction of complete surprise, jumping on into what he believed to be a defensive stance without thinking too much. Eyeing the other he felt stupid for reacting as such, considering the male was pack and no threat to him as such. Drawing four paws back together he corrected his posture, standing as tall and proud as possible to hide the embarrassment he felt from his personal little scene, although probably not as embarrassed as the one who'd just fallen flat on his face. Stepping forward he padded over to the other, seating himself before the other and cocking his head at him in consideration.

“Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I ..” tilting his head to the other side he couldn't quite pin point where he'd seen the male, yet the scent.. he was sure they'd crossed each others paths before. Frowning a fraction he relaxed his expression and breathed in slowly again, “Aha!” the words were loud, tail wagging furiously as the memory came back to him. “You recently had your Ausa Vatni didn't you!” shaking his neck, his own Frithr necklace fell free, dangling loosely once dislodged from the knots and mess that made up the pups fur. “At least I think it was you. Colibri talks too much so I wasn't paying that much attention” he admitted, unashamed to voice that he didn't have the attention span required to sit through the ceremony; he'd barely managed to do so during his own, let alone someone else’s.

“You smelled familiar and I just had to figure out who it was. Sorry about... startling you?” it was a big word, although he believed he'd managed to use it in the right context, whilst trying to explain to the other why he had followed behind, despite not really knowing him. Curiosity was a dangerous thing at times and did make for some rather awkward social situations, as he was beginning to learn.

Kitty
Luperci
Swamp Monster

POSTED: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:25 pm

  Out of Character
Word Count: 309

He's cuuuutteee! Heh. I love his attention span. XD

  In Character
The defensive stance of the dirty Aetta made Lochlan stare in frank surprise. His own ears flattened and he lowered his neck a bit, making sure he was fully covering his jugular. He certainly did not feel threatened by someone so young, but he wasn't sure how to react. Should he growl back? The posture rapidly changed, though, becoming more assertive than aggressive or defensive. The other cub padded forward to stand closer, sitting down comfortably near to the Stormbringer. Loch wagged his tail in encouragement, letting a smile slip across his lips once more. Good, he wasn't great with figuring out awkward situations like fighting unless they were play fights. Which this wouldn't have been, if a fight had happened.

The apology seemed unnecessary to him, as they had both startled each other in their own ways. "S'okay. I should've been listening better." he promptly responded. No need for them to fret about what had already occurred. As far as Loch was concerned, that was over and done. He didn't even dwell enough to truly feel embarrassed that he had fallen over from his surprise. It was what it was, and now they were talking. Though he did still feel uncertain about this whole thing. Should he have been acting differently toward Valerian? After all, they were both young males. Someday, it was likely they would have to butt heads to determine rank between them. That moment wasn't now, though, for which he was grateful.

Val correctly figured out where they might have seen each other. "Yes, I did! That is where I saw you. Colibri does talk a lot, but that's adults in general." he remarked, sticking out his tongue playfully. He was still young enough to poke fun at the adults and their silly maturity. "So what's your name?" since the younger cub hadn't volunteered it.

Table by Ninette!
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:13 pm

^^ [307]

Laughter rippled from the youths maw as the other agreed with his remark; “I knew it!” the youths tail wagged happily behind him, pleased that his deduction of the others identity and memory had proven correct. “I'm Valérian. Aug... Auguste, Carya and Andira are my brother and sisters; dunno if you know any of them” out of habit he had gone to refer to his litter mates by their nicknames, although had changed his mind not so subtly halfway through listing them. Opening his maw he allowed his tongue to hang out, a silly expression upon the youths mug. “So what you doing allll the way out here so early. Everyone else is normally still sleeping around now.” narrowing his eyes a fraction the pup closed his mouth and rose to four paws.

Taking a few steps forward to bring himself closer to the seated male, he stared for a second. “Suspicious. Very, very suspicious” again he paused to stare, before seating himself and snorting loudly. “You know it's rude to be getting up to mischief and having fun all by yourself. At times like this you need an accomplice!” whilst he had no real basis for his logic, the male simply assumed that Lochlan was up to something; most pups usually were, or more accurately, he normally was. Within his mind he was king of mischief (and getting filthy) and had no intention to abdicate the title any time soon; which entitled him to be involved in any and all fun other pups were having!

“Sooo. Spill the beans or else...” a mock growl rumbled from the pup, although it was still a fair bit far from being intimidating he had been working on it. A male canine needed a manly growl and he fully intended to have a perfect growl as soon as possible.

Kitty
Luperci
Swamp Monster

POSTED: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:07 pm

  Out of Character
Word Count: 341

  In Character
The other boy seemed to be bursting at the seams with enthusiasm as he confirmed that the recent ceremony would have been where they had seen each other. That quickly spilled over into an introduction, though. Valerian. That was a pretty cool name. A slew of other names came forth: Auguste, Carya, Andira. Nope. None of those seemed overly familiar to Loch, so the Stormbringer shook his head almost apologetically. It seemed he had missed out on a whole entire group of youths. Then again, his day was usually so filled with cousin and sibling time that it wasn't as if he had empty socializing space. If he wasn't with Teagan or one of his cousins, he was on his own on purpose. Still, he would have to make a point to get to know that whole group of pups better soon. They were the next generation of the pack, after all, and he needed to be ready to compete with all of them for whatever position he selected to pursue.

Lochlan probably should have wondered himself why the dirty youth was out and about on his own, but it hadn't occurred to him until then. They were within the pack's lands, though, so it wasn't as if the younger Luperci had gone wandering out into an open area. So it was that he narrowed his own eyes and watched the chatty Val for a moment. Of course each second that Loch was quiet was a second that was filled with the chattering of his current companion. It was slightly overwhelming, but he didn't let it really effect him. "Well I was going to go frog hunting pretty soon. That's a pretty fun mucky adventure. Then I was going to hide out in the mud and leap up to surprise someone." actually, he hadn't planned any of that at all. Not until right that moment, when he suddenly felt a desire to show that he too could be mischievous. Even though a large amount of mischief wasn't really in his nature.

Table by Ninette!
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:18 am

^^ [344]

Finally finishing his rush of speech he listened to the males response; trying to figure out just what exactly this 'frog hunting' was about, outside of the obvious. Braking a string of laugher he rose and spun in a quick circle, excitement urging him to move around and do something, “Well, I don't know about this frog hunting.... but jumping out on someone sounds like a good idea. Mind if I tag along?” he added, only then noting that perhaps he was being rather pushy and selfish; he'd done as such a few times before and he was trying to learn to keep in mind others, before his own wants and needs. “Sorry, I didn't meant to, like, errrm. Push you into letting me come along; I don't have to if you don't want me to?” each word was rushed, as he hoped he could smooth over any damage he may of caused in his carefree speech.

“Where did you find mud deep enough to get into?” where the mud, there was normally the young Coeur, his movements having been restrained to the immediate area of Jordheim most of his life, it intrigued him that such a place could be within the pack borders, located in somewhere new and unexplored by him. Eyeing the other cautiously, he hoped to be allowed or invited to come along; for all the boy knew, Lochlan had loads of friends waiting to go play in the mud with him. It was a very appealing idea, so he knew lots of the other youths would probably want to join him too. Pawing the ground a little, darkened ears twitched forward, rotating around and fidgeting much like the pup, whose tail couldn't quite seem to decide what it wanted to do.

“There's a lot of mud by the gardens, but that's for them, not for pups to play in” he added, wanting to share some information in hope that he could butter the other up, in hope of gaining the secret location of the mud where frogs were.

Kitty
Luperci
Swamp Monster

POSTED: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 pm

  Out of Character
Word Count: 402

  In Character
There were no real lulls between the Couer boy speaking and not speaking, unless they were filled with Loch's own voice. Even then, he wasn't sure if he could complete a sentence before it was bulldozed. It was somewhat dizzying, really, but he was still close enough to being young himself that he kept up pretty well. Not so long ago, he probably would have chattered just as quickly at someone. The boy laughed and spun around; Lochlan watched him with interest. When he downplayed the fun of frog hunting, Loch snorted. "Frog hunting is my favorite." he replied, almost insulted by the other boy's suggestion that he wasn't sure about it. Which wasn't even really a slap in the face, but he found that he felt more competitive/easily offended around males for some instinctive reason. Defensive of his traits, abilities, and favorite hobbies. Frog hunting definitely included.

When Val rambled on to self-invite himself into Loch's hastily imagined day of play, the Stormbringer male was about to answer and was cut off by an apology. He blinked rapidly; it really was hard to keep up with all of the things the Couer boy thought. "Naw, it's fine, you can join me. More fun with two, anyway." he agreed, though he was still rather uncertain if that was true. Especially since he hadn't actually been planning to do it. It had just sounded like a grand prank that would impress. "There's some particularly good mud to hide out in over near the lake by where I frog hunt usually. I mean, it's not huge, but if we're both in our four-legged forms... it will be easier. I'll get changed!" he offered, sitting down.

He looked awkwardly at Val; was it polite to change in front of others? Lochlan had never had this problem before. Whatever. Focusing, he started to change his body from two-legged to four-legged. As the last bit of him snapped into place, he opened his eyes and wagged his tail. "Race you there!" he challenged in the carefree way he always set up a competition with his cousins. Then - without waiting to see if Valerian was down with the race or prepared at all - he ran. His muscles felt a bit sore, his energy level depleted slightly by the change, but not enough to restrict him from running. Though he would likely tire faster than his companion.

Table by Ninette!
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:56 pm

^^ [344]

“Oh? What do you do exactly? I've never done it, but I've hunted rabbits before. They are fun, but run really fast, makes them impossible to catch at times” pulling a face, he recalled various poor attempts of his own at hunting the furballs, smiling widely as the other agreed to let him come along, tail spinning rapidly behind him as a clear show of just how happy he was. Nodding, he tried to conjure up images of where the lake was, although none really came to him, so he probably hadn't been there, recently at least for sure. “Ok” he responded, looking away as the other went to change, unsure if it was polite or not to look; changing etiquette hadn't really come up so far in his life, his siblings all incapable of shifting yet and everyone he knew more or less stuck to one form as far as he had noted.

Stepping away he spied a plant, curious in shape; it's leaves were large, jagged, but the flower upon the top of the stem was bland. Hunkering down he sniffed at it, occupying himself with the nature at hand until the other seemed to have finished shifting. Shaking himself he turned to the other, a toothy grin lightening brown features as the challenge was issued. Kicking hard against the ground, he darted after the male, bark like laughter bubbling out of him at the start, although silence soon fell over the pup as he concentrated at the task at hand.

Soon the lake came into view, although he'd only just managed to catch up to the other's tail. With a build somewhere between wolf and dog, he wasn't large but neither slim, somewhere in the middle, upon gangly legs that never seemed to go quite where he wanted them to, making him exceptionally clumsy as he hurdled after the other.

Kitty
Luperci
Swamp Monster

Dead Topics