Patience

any welcome

POSTED: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 am

Veri Secanti
I've gone swimming in the ocean of dreams.
Ooc Stables again, morning, around 10am, Sep 9th. Optime. [1,025]

Veri slipped into the warmth of the stables gratefully. She shook herself and settled the apple she'd brought on a shelf before she turned to look for her two favorite hooved friends, Tupelo and Buckeye. Both of them reminded her so much of her own two horse, Seeker and Ebony. Being around them reminded her of being home, minus all of the nightmarish hell going on around her. Tupelo flicked her tail and turned her head toward the cream furred wolfess, her soft muzzle vibrating with a nicker of greeting. She smiled and stroked the mares nose.

A sharp nudge on her shoulder from behind told her that Buckeye had seen her giving another horse attention and was demanding his own. She glanced over her shoulder at the buckskin stallion, grinning at him. "I see you, calm down. Let me get your treat. Just be a little patient, both of you." she laughed as she untangled herself from the two horses and grabbed the apple she had set aside earlier. With her knife, she cut it into two halves, one for Tupelo and Buckeye each. She snuck a bite out of one piece.

She wasn't a fruit eater really, but her father had forced her to eat an apple or two in her time. It sure wasn't anything like the meat of a deer or rabbit, or even a fish. But it did have a sweet quality to it that made it pleasant to eat.

She offered each horse one half of the apple on her flat palm. Tupelo snuffled her hand before taking the treat delicately in her teeth and crunching it up, apple juices dribbling from her muzzle. Buckeye munched on it straight from her hand, covering her fingers in juice. She laughed at the stallion softly while she cleaned her hand on a cloth, and gently stroked his forehead. He huffed and pushed his muzzle into her shoulder, demanding more attention from her.

"Alright you, big bully." she laughed again, petting his silky soft neck and shoulder. The skin hidden under his thick wall of dark mane was warm. It made her wish she could become small and curl up there against his neck. She wondered briefly if she could ride Tupelo or Buckeye. It had been some time since she'd been on horseback, but she knew the basics. And if she could find Wayne, maybe, and ask him to give her a few pointers, maybe teach her a little more...oh how she'd love that!

She wasn't quite sure which of the two she'd want to ride. She thought she'd heard somewhere that Tupelo didn't like being tacked, so she might have to ride the mare bareback. She had very little experience riding horseback without a saddle, but she could. However if Tupelo spooked at anything, she'd tumble right off. So she might go with Buckeye, even if he was a stallion. Though he seemed quiet and gentle, more like a gelding than a stallion. She scratched his neck, smiling at the buckskin. Both of the horses she had grown up with had been stallions, it wouldn't be too different at this time.

Then all she had to do was find Wayne and ask him. Even if he didn't offer to teach or give her any pointers, if he was the caretaker for the horses he'd probably appreciate being told that she'd be riding a little with one of them. She certainly wouldn't leave the Fort on horseback, especially not by herself, until she was at least a bit more experienced around, and on, the one she chose to extend her learning with.

"Well my friend, she whispered to Buckeye, stroking his nose while she scratched his withers. "do you have any idea where I can find Wayne? Hm? I know he's around someplace, but I don't keep track of everyone's routine in the pack. I'd be a tad of a stalker if I did that, wouldn't I, eh, Buckeye? I suppose if I hang around the stables enough I'll run into him eventually. That's alright. I don't have to get on you right away, do I. No sir, I can bond with you nice and tight first, so you know for sure I'm a friend. You got to be able to trust me while I'm up there on your back, guiding you around, don't you. From the ground up, that's how I was taught. We'll just start here, on equal footing. That sound good to you?"

All the while she was talking to him she had found a comb and was working on untangling and smoothing out his mane. It wasn't that bad, but enough to be unsightly for a proud, handsome stallion such as this one. Some people might call her slightly daft, but she loved talking to horses. They couldn't talk back, she knew that of course, but sometimes it seems like they could, with expressions and the look in their eyes.

Horses were easier to deal with than people. No drama, no back stabbing, cheating, lying, stealing. None of that. Just a simple, almost mindless communication with another animal. The horses was her most frequent escape from her hell-like life with her father. They comforted and soothed her when she was beaten and bruised, when she cried from the pain. Horses would always have a special connection with her, even if she couldn't be with her own two horses. Buckeye bobbed his head up and down with a nicker, one forehoof pawing at the ground.

Veri grinned and patted his shoulder while she combed his mane. "You like that buddy? I'm glad you do, you'll get this every day if I can manage it. Some days I'll be hunting or picking herbs, but I'll try my best." she finished with his mane and moved down his side to his tail. She had one hand touching him at all times so he wasn't startled, and she stood close to one side while she combed his tail so if he spooked and kicked, she wouldn't be badly hurt. Soon she started humming to herself as she worked, her mind relaxed.

And seen nothing but nightmares.

Credit:Template
Table by Rurik
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris
Luperci Healer, Ambassador (CdM) The Brotherhood: Master of Medicines Mate to Rurik

POSTED: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:06 am

Wayne McCoy
  • Word Count: 320
  • Form: Optime

Though most of his work with the horses was done far from the stables -- the animals needed to be able to roam rather than being cooped up in stalls -- Wayne went to the building and the pens outside every day to deal with the very few horses who weren't able to roam outside of the Fort on the grassy plains of Casa di Cavavlieri land. Many of these were new additions to the herd, liable to fight or wander away, or abused, injured, and otherwise problem-ridden individuals.

He had an uncharacteristically late start today, as usually at this time his morning chores were completed by mid-morning, all the horses usually outside at this time. However, he'd aggravated the injuries caused by the horse thief when attempting to hunt the night before, and so it was slow going, his arm rebandaged where the mule set its teeth and his pace slow. He needed tack for Gypsy if he was going to ride comfortably, and the walls of the barn were the place to find it.

He entered the stables, stopping to scratched the striped back of the cat perched on one of the stall doors. The creature, who he'd unimaginatively named Tabby, was great for keeping the unfortunately stalled horses company so they wouldn't go mad -- though sadly his newest rescue, Singer, seemed afraid of cats. He left the tabby alone and walked forward.

Another wolf was there, with Tupelo and Buckeye, and Wayne let out a grunt of satisfaction as he watched her grooming the buckskin stallion. He ignored her for the time being, though, heading over to grab one of the saddles. He recognized her as a Prova, though one who he'd never spoken to; she didn't seem outgoing or particularly interesting, but seeing her do work with the horses gave him hope that she was pulling her weight, at least.

seems like a long time since i spun you to this borrowed radio

Coding by Kitty; image by Moyan Brenn

POSTED: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Veri Secanti
Ooc chat goes here [550]

Veri was lost in her world of peace as she groomed the stallion to gleaming perfection. His mane and tail were smooth as silk, and she'd just started on his coat with a curry comb to loosen any big clumps of fur he might have on his shoulder. Her ears twitched idly as the door to the stables opened. No one spoke to her, so she didn't turn to look. She was too calm to really worry about them. She blinked out of her trance though when she heard tack being lifted and moved. It was a sound she was familiar with from her days of growing up around Seeker and Ebony.

She turned her head to inspect who it was, and she saw a doggish wolf with a cowboy hat on his head. She blinked in surprise. She hadn't heard of anyone else in the pack wearing a cowboy hat like that, so this must be Wayne. She glanced him over, instinctively despite herself looking for any threat he might give to her. He was tall, and he looked strong. She expected that, working around horses all the time. She noted a bandage on one arm, but it wouldn't slow him down from chasing her much, or hurting her.

The cream furred wolfess shook her head at this thought, almost disgusted. She was safe here in Casa, she didn't have to constantly be on the lookout for danger or be ready to run.

She patted Buckeye and set the brush she was holding down, so his displeasure, if the glare he shot at her meant anything. She turned her whole body toward Wayne, but stayed close to the buckskin stallion, one hand resting lightly on his back, scratching idly. Her ears splayed slightly to the side and back respectfully to the bigger and higher ranked male, her tail tucked just a little between her legs so she didn't offend. "Are you Wayne?" she asked quietly, just to be sure. It wouldn't do for her to get names and faces mixed up, especially trying to not be a burden to anyone. She was pretty certain this was him though, he matched the description she'd heard.

Her sapphire eyes flicked up, but stayed low still. "I wanted to ask a couple things, if that's alright with you. Mainly, if there was anything around the stables or horses I could do, other than just grooming...I love horses, and I have quite a bit of experience with them, I'm just not sure what needs to be done. If you needed some help with training or something, treating an injury, rehab..." she trailed off a bit because that was all she wanted to ask regarding that. She had to work on more courage to ask for riding lessons, she knew he must be a busy man. "If I'm keeping you from something I'm terribly sorry.." she trailed off again, her shyness getting the better of her. She'd try asking once he answered her first question.

Veri could kick herself for being so stupid and shy, but he was just so big, and so male. It was almost like being back with him again. She had to repress the shiver that went down her spine at the thought, and the scar on her muzzle tingled.

Table by Rurik
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris
Luperci Healer, Ambassador (CdM) The Brotherhood: Master of Medicines Mate to Rurik

POSTED: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Wayne McCoy
I apologize for the crap post and for the wait; I forgot to bookmark this, eep!

He was absorbed in pulling down one of the western saddles from where it was mounted, holding that carefully while searching for a bridle. He didn’t pay the Prova any mind, letting her do her thing, until a tentative voice reached his ears. In disbelief, he turned and looked at her, and had to fight not to just laugh. Anyone that had been in the pack for more than a week was sure to know who he was; his duties and appearance were pretty conspicuous. Then again, he didn’t even know this nervous-seeming girl’s name.

“That’s me,” Wayne answered instead, in a kindly drawl, and watched her silently as she began her speech—asking him if there was any help she could offer. Brown eyes widened at this, not bothering to mask his surprise. He didn’t think he’d ever had someone offer him such blatant assistance; it seemed like he had to twist arms to get anyone to care for their own horses, sometimes.

“You ain’t keepin’ me from nothin’,” he reassured her, then set the saddle back down again and grunted. “I’d appreciate all the help I can get, honestly. Although I’d like to ask… why’d you wait until now? To ask me, I mean.” He reached out to run his hands along Buckeye’s freshly groomed coat, but his eyes didn’t leave the creamy-colored wolf.

seems like a long time since i spun you to this borrowed radio

Coding by Kitty; image by Moyan Brenn

POSTED: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:23 am

Veri Secanti
ooc lol that's perfectly fine. XD [535]

Gods, he was huge. His height reminded her of darker images and memories, things she'd prefer to keep long buried and forgotten in the past. He was a completely different coloring, however, that helped. She smiled a bit when he confirmed that indeed, he was Wayne. The gentle drawl in his voice eased the tension in between her shoulder blades, though she kept them slightly rounded respectfully. At his inquiry of why she had waited so long, she bit her lip, her fingers fiddling with the straps on her left bracelet that hid the rope scars.

"Mostly so I wasn't in the way...I didn't want to be a burden to you, or do something wrong around the horses and get anyone hurt. I'm not that experienced in depth with horses, just in a little bit of everything.." she was hesitant to tell him her other reason; that when she'd heard that the Cavallo was a seemingly stern male, she'd shrunk a little inside. But he seemed kind...and she had to let go and heal somehow. She shifted uncomfortably.

"And...I grew up with a very abusive father. Physical and...sexual." her ears laid back flat with shame and she felt like crawling into a hole. The cream wolfess ignored the desire and straightened her shoulders slightly, her jaw stiff and tilted up just slightly with the small bit of pride she managed to have. She refused to be a victim, she had survived her hell of a past and had come here, where she was happy and safe. She was victorious, not a victim. Her sapphire eyes shone softly.

"He was the only one I knew until I had enough and left to come here to 'Souls. It's...hard to be around males. To trust. But everything I heard about you was nice. I can't live in fear forever, I have to overcome it, or I'll be trapped in the past like a victim, which I refuse to be." she felt light, like a cloud. This was the first person in the pack that she'd told so much of her past to. Not even Rurik knew the extent of what her father had done. "Three birds one stone...face my fear, learn more about horses, and be of help. It sounded like a good deal to me." she smiled, slightly more relaxed than before.

She felt a nudge in her side and turned to see Buckeye's velvet muzzle pushing into her pelt. She smiled and scratched his forelock while his upper lip wiggled back and forth into her flesh. It looked odd and cute. "Horses are said to be healers of the heart and soul. More patient than sages, stronger than the best medicine. I don't have anything else for you, mister bossy. Nothing but attention that is." her smile warmed all the way through to a genuine one as she spoke to the buckskin stallion. She really wanted to ride this boy. She'd ask Wayne though if he had an idea of a better fitting horse. She looked up at him, still shy.

"And maybe, four birds with one stone, if it's alright with you..." she hesitated, knowing this might be asking a bit much of the cowboy.

Table by Rurik
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

POSTED: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:04 pm

The nervous fidgeting reminded him of Lowry, in a way, and that made it slightly easier for him to feel sympathy -- especially because she seemed more eager to work than Lowry had been. Much as he liked the kid, Wayne knew that the coyote wouldn't have made it far in Casa di Cavalieri. This girl's abilities had yet to be seen, of course, but she seemed more willing to get her hands dirty than others.

Her explanation revealed a little more about her mindset and self-esteem, again reminding him very much of Lowry, and he was about to let her know that it was okay, that he always welcomed well-intentioned help, when she dropped a bombshell on him.

A mouth gently parted to assure her gaped open, and quickly the man averted his eyes. His hand dropped away from the stallion, and reached up to pull his cowboy hat back, his other hand quickly and awkwardly sweeping back his dusty-blonde hair. When he lowered his hands again, shoving them into his pockets out of sight, they clenched into fists. He remembered Dixie-May, starved and wide-eyed, that bundle of fur gripped close to her chest, his helplessness --

His first reaction was to feel frustration that she'd brought up something so damn personal when he didn't know her, but it fell away when he realized he was only frustrated because he didn't know what to say to her and was scared. A cautious glance at her showed that she was standing up straight, her chin lifted, as if defying him or the words that left her mouth, and he supposed she would be okay. It didn't make finding the words any easier, but he gave a stiff nod and tried to smile.

You don't have to worry about anythin' here, darlin', Wayne promised her, his gruff voice soft. You sound like you're stronger than I am, at any rate. His smile grew slightly, a little admiring, but faded into some seriousness as he considered her repeated offer to help and learn about horses as well. He took a look at the interaction between Buckeye and Veri, listened to her proverb about horses, and smiled.

I reckon you'll fit right in here, he told her, his tail wagging slowly behind him, but he stopped and pricked his ears as he finished and trailed off. What is it? Anythin' I can do to help, ma'am.

POSTED: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Veri Secanti
ooc chat goes here [448]

The cream furred girl was almost worried she'd been a bit too bold when she saw his reaction to her words. But she kept her shoulders straight nonetheless. The nervous push back of his hat and sweep of his hair with his hand wasn't lost on her. She softened her jaw subconsciously, her ears, which had been perked, now relaxed to the sides in an apology. She hadn't meant to make him uncomfortable. She smiled just a tad when he gave her a brief glance up.

She relaxed when she finally heard his voice, soft but still gruff, assuring her that she was fine here. And she felt it too. At least, here in the stables. She blinked a bit at the cowboy's comment that she was stronger than him. But before she could ask what in the world he was talking about, he had already moved on to the next subject.

She smiled widely at him, her sapphire blue eyes lit up with happiness with his acceptance of her offer. Buckeye shoved his velvety soft muzzle into her side again, tickling her ribs. She laughed, a rich genuine sound, and gently pulled his head up to scratch his forelock and kiss his nose. His upper lip wiggled back and forth at the kiss, then flipped up to show his teeth in a horsey smile.

Veri grinned and scratched his neck gently to appease him, not that she truly minded all that much. The buckskin stallion rested his jaw on her shoulder, leaning the weight of his head on her body. She bent her knees, her grin widening at the silly horse. "Are you quite done now?" she chastised teasingly, rubbing his smooth neck gently. He made no reply, so she huffed. "Good. Now keep still, you."

Now that he was content, she looked back up to Wayne, a contentedness in her body language that had eased through her while interacting with the horse. "Could you teach me how to ride? If I can add that, and even learn how to fight on horseback, I can use that too to contribute. All I really know is how to stay on, with a saddle and without too. It's been a while since I was with my horses, I'd love to get back into it." she smiled with eagerness, still petting Buckeye's nose with one hand. "If that's alright, I was curious if I could learn with Mister Demanding right here - horse, your jaw is killing my shoulder, get off -," she gently pushed his head off, rolling her shoulder a bit to relieve the ache from his weight,"or if you might have another horse in mind for me?"

Table by Rurik
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

Dead Topics