the juniper bends as if you were listening

all welcome

POSTED: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:17 pm

All welcome. In Halifax, dated 19 September. Storm Lily is present but invisible.

At last Micah had forged the solitary trip to Halifax, pleased to have slipped from Cercatori d'Arte unquestioned and unaccompanied. He had met a small number of his packmates, most of which went unrecognized; it seemed many had come and gone in his two-year absence, and likely to Skye he was just another name in that list. He mattered little. They did not ask him questions, and so he kept to himself. It was best that way. He would not embarrass himself.

He remembered the spots of Halifax where spraypaint had been previously found and was delighted to discover them still primarily untouched. Spraypaint was a terribly limited resource, yet always present to scavenge from the underbelly of the rotting cities. His fellow wolves did not need them as he did. Without a doubt many admired the graffiti work of those that came before, still marking the walls as if not a day had passed, but such sights evidently did not inspire others as it did Micah. Given a brush and oils he could do little, but given a can of spraypaint and a wallface and Micah could replicate all that squirreled around in his tiny skull.

Emerging from a storefront of webs and broken glass the coyote eyed his reward: three filled cans of navy, white and auburn, and in an alleyway not far he found a fourth, emerald, partially filled and unresponsive. He took it anyway. Pulling the zipper of his blue hoodie to his collarbone the Lykoi sauntered to the back of a building of random selection, a piece of rear stone wall still standing and intact. With a tune on his tongue and a bit of a skip in his step Micah tested each new can on the wall with quick and simple waves of the arm; a swirl here, a wave pattern there. Finally, the white can dashed a small, unflattering and cartoon-like portrait of his sister who floated begrudgingly over his shoulder.

"There," he said to the invisible ghost, laughing into her disapproving frown. "See, I'm not wasting time. I drew you like I said I would."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:41 pm

(435) Saw your lonely AW and decided I would throw Valerie at you :D Hope this is okay!

The cool weather was fast approaching, decaying leaves as it wandered fourth from where ever it had been hiding. However pretty the leaves would end up looking during the course of Autumn, Valerie was none too happy about the coming cold weather. Her lips were turned down into a small frown as she headed past the borders of her home and into places where she wasn't as protected, wielding nothing but her dagger, which was tucked away although easily accessible. Her ears -- which were somewhat larger than those of an average wolf because of the coyote blood she'd ended up with, a gift from her absent mother -- had turned backwards as she ambled towards Hailfax, one of the more interesting places she'd come across, even if she rarely visited the place.

An unbreaking silence had taken over the town, and even the birds hardly chirped. It was ghastly, and the quietness was not something the canine appreciated. As she continued walking through the place on cautious paws, she heard a slight hissing sound that was fairly unnatural to her. Curiously, she peered around one of the slabs on concrete, her nose twitching a bit to determine what the noise came from or who else was around. A dark canine, fur dappled in slight spots of gray, stood in front of a portrait of another wolf which seemed like it'd only been there for a few moments. And then he started talking, but to who she couldn't tell. As far as she knew, there wasn't anyone else around.

Thinking that maybe she just wasn't seeing the other, much more silent canine, the Cavalier stepped out from behind whatever it was she standing behind and wandered forwards, stepping lightly and carefully. The smell of Cercatori d'Arte touched her coal-colored nose and she loosened up a bit. Casa had good relations with the d'Artisans, that she knew. Although she didn't know if this individual was one of the nicer canines or if he was hostile, or something like that. Nevertheless, she continued forwards.

"Who are you talking to?" the Rhiannon-Knight asked. Her suspicions had been confirmed; there was no one else there. "Did you paint that? It's pretty," she continued, trying to seem friendly, which was something she always tried to do. "No wonder you're in Cercatori d'Arte," she continued with a small, hopeful grin spreading across her face. "I'm from Casa di Cavalieri, our packs are allies," she continued. Obviously, she didn't fear strangers, not in the slightest -- and, if her other suspicions were correct, there was no reason to fear this unfamiliar canine.

Image credit goes to John Carbone from Getty Images!
Last edited by Valerie Rhiannon-Knight on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valerie rhiannon-knight

POSTED: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 pm

He jumped at the voice as he did every time, and in some comical display the can in his hand went flying as he spun and pressed his back against the still-wet doodle on the wall. Arms extended as if to hide it. "Oh—" he gasped, frowning one moment then forcing nervous laughter the second, "—heh, um, yeah, I painted it but it's, um, n-n-not my best work or anything."

He took a deep and obvious breath as she continued speaking. The Cavalieri was nothing less than pleasant and charming, of course, but that was never enough reason for Micah to calm his nerves so quickly. The coyote considered grabbing whichever can of spraypaint he could reach first and coating the cartoon in a few second-long sprays, but that would not be enough to erase the picture from the woman's memory. He was labeled; it was too late. Her words were surely forced in their kindness to preserve the packs' supposed alliance. Deep down she must have already thought him a bumbling, talentless fool!

Chest thumping, the squirrely smile on his face wiggled around in all his attempts to remain calm and keep from panicking. "I-I-I've never met anyone from Casa," Micah stammered. "I, um, I heard they have a lot of weapons and training and, um, well, I don't have a-a-any practice like that so I haven't really t-talked to anyone from your pack, so..."

He squeezed his eyes shut a moment, breathed again, then stood straight and outstretched a hand — the back of which was now coated in bright white. "M-M-Micah Lykoi. I, um... Well, I jump easily. Sorry."

And a sheepish smile, one he would think pitiful and stupid. Any other might find the display endearing.

Last edited by Micah Sunrise Lykoi on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:37 pm

(351) No problemo :3

A slightly confused look spread across her face as the male started talking, stuttering and spitting out his words. Oh. He's shy. Sudden realization flashed through her mind before she turned her expression into a kind one and set off to talking again, hoping that the coyote hybrid would start warming up to her in no time at all, however unlikely that notion seemed. "Really? It's not?" she said, pure surprise taking over her present expression when he spoke -- and it was real surprise, not something false, she hardly ever didn't mean what she said. "I wish I could see what your best looked like, then," the coywolf said with a somewhat encouraging smile. She didn't like it when people were skittish around her, it made her feel kind of scary or something along those lines.

He hadn't answered the question that she'd first asked, about who he was talking to, and she decided to leave that one untouched. She didn't want to sound mean, pushy, or arrogant by bringing up things he was obviously avoiding -- unless he simply hadn't heard her. Valerie looked to the picture again, ignoring the fact he was trying to cover it up. The d'Artisan started talking again, blabbering about something that had to do with Casa having weapons and being fighters. "Well, now you have," she stated with a confirming nod. "And we do have a lot of weapons and such, and I suppose it makes sense if you haven't met anyone from my back before -- my da stopped visiting d'Arte, and I guess we haven't sent anyone there for a bit. I've been thinking of going to d'Arte to see what it's like, though! I have half-siblings there, too," Valerie added, hoping that she wouldn't end up boring the spray-painter to death.

"And, it's nice to meet you, Micah," continued the Guarire, extending a padded hand for him to shake, if he used that sort of formalities. "Sorry if I scared you by coming out of nowhere and looking at your art," the coywolf added briskly, still holding out her hand.

valerie rhiannon-knight

POSTED: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 am

"Well," he said, smiling as he caught his breath, "um, I-I guess if you really want to see, y-you could stay... Just, umm, prepare to be d-disappointed, maybe."

It wasn't often he allowed for an audience. His work was an escape from the outside world, from viewers that might judge and scrutinize his work as so many did he himself. A chance to be free of the rattles and anxieties. To express. To visually verbalize, in a way, what he could not mutter in decent sentences. But he was afraid to say no to her, to put any weight on their packs' alliance, even if he knew doing so would have had no effect whatsoever. Micah worried for these things, these silly details. He knew he shouldn't, he knew he might have been blowing things out of proportion, and yet could control it no greater.

He realized he hadn't answered her very first question— whom he had been speaking to when she arrived. She had since failed to mention it again, and so it was not revisited though Storm Lily floated behind the woman's head making terrible faces all the while. Always competing for attention. The Cavalieri outstretched her hand and he took it, arm highlighted with white, his grip weak but palm warm.

"M-Maybe I should go there to learn how to, um, fight," he said, playing with his fingers a moment before forcing himself to stop and retrieve the can of white paint. He brushed a clean canvas across the face of his sister on the wall, and swiveled an ear when Storm Lily fussed and promptly disappeared. "I tried learning once, but... well, I-I-I haven't really done anything since. I wasn't very good at it."

"Don't, uhhh, don't worry about it, heh," he said finally, a tiny laugh escaping, as she apologized. He pulled the blue kerchief up over his snout and readied the can in the air, then paused to glance over his shoulder. "Y-You... um, you didn't tell me your name... or why you're even out here."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:45 am

(345) --

Valerie had never really watched someone draw before. She'd seen pictures in the books located in Casa's library, and she'd also seen her brother Alexander write something down, but never actual art. Even when Micah said she'd probably end up being disappointed by his work she continued to smile, hoping all of her grinning wasn't strange or anything. "Probably not," she said with a nod, glancing back over at the quick sketch she'd spotted after wandering over towards the speckle-furred canine. Valerie was still wondering who the wolf in the picture was. When he actually took her outstretched hand she gave it a shake and then released his humanoid paw, dropping her's down to her side again.

"Oh, yeah, if you actually wanted to I bet someone could show you something, since Casa and d'Arte are on such good terms and all . . . " the coywolf continued, taking on a less enthusiastic tone, mellowing out a bit. "And just because you aren't good at something doesn't mean you should stop practicing," she continued with a shrug. At least, that's what she thought, "That's what practicing is for -- getting better at stuff, I bet you practice painting a lot," continued the Knight girl, feeling as if she were blabbering too much. "I'll stop blabbering about that now," she added with a shy twitch of her ears and downwards look, kicking at a chunk of concrete.

Blinking bright yellow eyes, she listened to the rest of what the d'Artisan had to say, sucking in a breath when he pointed out she hadn't even introduced herself. "Oh, gosh, I didn't," she said with an apologetic look, before continuing to speak. "I'm Valerie Rhiannon Knight," she said with a tip of her head, some sort of a bow, before straightening back up again and trying to think of a reason for her actually being here. She honestly didn't know why she was. "Eh, and I'm just wandering around, I do that sometimes," Valerie said with a shrug of her shoulders, hoping that was a good enough reason for the Lykoi.

valerie rhiannon-knight

POSTED: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:31 am

She was quite younger than him yet with twice the confidence, and for that Micah quietly envied her. Casa di Cavalieri lived well to its reputation; more than once he had heard of their endeavors and strength, and the apparent capability of one still so young among their ranks only impressed him more. Micah knew he could potentially learn how to handle a blade, but would never fit as a Cavalieri. He simply did not have the guts.

At his modest remark Valerie answered a simple "probably not" and the coyote frowned. Most would take the comment in stride and use it as a means to boost their own esteem, but not Micah. She had already placed high expectations on him. She had faith in his abilities that he might be of some talent and good impression. It was a sudden weight of pressure, a sudden necessity to do well, and in that moment Micah realized he could not bear to paint a thing. He could not let her down.

"Um," he said, glancing at the blank wall, thinking quickly. "Maybe, umm, maybe you'd like to try inst-stead, Valerie."

Micah offered to her the can of red spraypaint from the ground and stepped back, heart pounding and nervous smile on his face. Anything to keep himself from pushing her away with his incapabilties. "Mi-might be more interesting than just, umm, 'wandering around,' heh. Right?"

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:18 pm

(309) sorry about the wait and sucky post

The coywolf shrank backwards quite a bit as soon as he suggested that maybe she should try spray-painting something. She shuffled her paws almost nervously, a definite contrast from her earlier attitude. Valerie was most definitely not an artist -- she was a fighter, and didn't do much else, aside from reading and writing (although those things were required for her to learn). The girl wasn't sure if Micah was just suggesting that so that he could get out of drawing or if he wanted to see if she was as good of an artist, but Valerie wasn't about to disappoint the d'Artisan. "Oh, uh, sure," she said, reaching out padded fingers to grab the bottle of spray paint. Another reason she didn't want to paint something -- the girl didn't want to waste his art supplies.

"Yeah, probably," she continued with a small smile in response to his next statement, straightening up and regaining her courage again, hoping not to disappoint the Lykoi with her horrible art skills. She stared at the bottle for a moment and then turned it towards the blank spot on the wall, taking in a breath because she assumed breathing in the paint wouldn't be a good idea. The Guarire pressed down on the top, moving her hand until she was all finished with her drawing, which was a pitiful outline of a red flower with five petals and a tiny circle on the inside.

She sighed and then held out the spray paint for Micah to take, looking somewhat distraught by her lack of art skills. "Not nearly as good as yours," she pointed out, glancing over at his painting and then back at her childish flower. "I can hardly tell that it's supposed to be a flower," the girl continued, hoping that the other coywolf wasn't too disappointed with her skills.

valerie rhiannon-knight

POSTED: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:01 pm

The moment she took the can he felt guilty. Her heart was not in it, that much was obvious; Valerie painted only to appease him, and she did so with her elbows tucked, shoulders stiff and back straight. Ears folded back, the coyote considered her every movement, thinking she as awkward with paint in her hands as he would be with a weapon. So opposite, and yet their packs were allied. Was it the proximity between Cercatori and the Cavaliers that forced them to find things in common?

Taking a breath in the wake of her spoken discouragement, Micah summoned false courage and replied, "Well, umm, here. Let me help you a second."

If she allowed it, the coyote would place a trembling hand over her own atop the spraycan and extend her arm out across to its fullest length. His second hand would touch at her shoulder just briefly, just enough to lead her so that she stood further back and at a slight angle, the wall further still than the full length of her arm.

"Okay," he said, moving her hand in wide circles, "it's, umm, it's kind of like a dance. You have to put your whole body into it—think of it like, uhh, like swordplay. That's, well, that's how all art works, you know? Even music. It really thrives on everything you put into it."

Then he removed the kerchief from his collar and made to tie it around her snout, if she so allowed. "There. Now try, okay? I-I know you will feel better this time. Honest."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:32 am

315 words → sorry for the wait and poor post!

Valerie accepted his help without hesitation, noting how shaky the Lykoi male seemed to be, wishing she could think of a way to help him be less shy, although Val was sure that there wasn't much she could to about that. Arm moving to whichever position he adjusted it too. She moved backwards, did whatever else it was she had him do, and then chuckled lightly when he told her to think of it like swinging a sword around. "Got it," she said with a grin, lowering her arm for a second since it was getting a bit tired from being held up for so long while she attempted to paint. The Cavalier didn't stop him when he tied the kerchief around her muzzle, grateful for the piece of fabric hanging between her and the oddly-smelling air, littered with particles of paint that she had more than likely gotten in her fur.

Keeping Micah's advice fresh in her head, she moved over and set to drawing something else, moving her entire arm as she did so, considering the stream of paint the blade of a sword as she worked, which helped a small bit although she still thought she was horrible at this form of art. Her finished product was something slightly odd -- a large pair of red eyes staring straight at her and the coyote hybrid, dripping red. She shook her head and removed the kerchief from her muzzle, looking somewhat disappointed by her word yet again. "I don't think this kind of art is for me," she proclaimed, holding out the fabric and paint can for Micah to take, wishing she was much less disappointing. "I think I'd be better with just a pencil and paper," she continued, laughing again, somewhat nervously this time although she was at least trying to keep a light air that wasn't tense or anything like that.

valerie rhiannon-knight

Dead Topics