Curiousness

All Welcome

POSTED: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Veri Secanti
I've gone swimming in the ocean of dreams.
Ooc Main level of the Courthouse, around the healer room. Morning of Sep 27st. Talking to Morty a bit. NPC talk is bold+italic. If you wanna come in with an injury or something, it would help Veri prove her skills. .-. [889]

She didn't want to try to be nosy, but she couldn't help it. She'd heard about the pack medic, Morty, and the healer room she stayed in. They'd met briefly when the trespassers had come into Casa, but hadn't since seen the Medico. She wanted to explore a bit, try to find this elusive she-wolf. Maybe she could learn more about her skills, offer help. Whichever way it went, she couldn't see it going badly. She was a little nervous as she climbed the steps up to the main level, but she had to start somewhere. She was pretty familiar with the Fort and the buildings within, what she lacked was familiarity with the pack members. She'd met Thorn, Ryuu, Wayne, and Lola, also Rurik of course.

The cream furred wolfess tipped her head up to take a breath. She could smell herbs on the air, close. And lots of them. She turned and followed her nose to a middle sized room. Various scents filled the air, making her sneeze lightly. She'd never encountered so many different herbs all in one space before, it was slightly disorienting.

She stepped inside very cautiously, knowing she was probably intruding on the Medico's small territory. She didn't see the she-wolf around, so she stayed within the door frame at least so she could retreat quickly. Her sapphire orbs gazed around, bright with curiosity and awe. There were shelves of jars along the far wall, filled with fresh and dried herbs, some crushed into a powder like substance, and a few that had been mixed with water and a bit of honey to make a poultice.

She was shaken out of her admiring at the sound of paw steps. The cream furred she-wolf jerked out of the room and toward the stairs, her intention to get out of the way before someone came in, but instead she ran headlong into a grey pelted female, strongly smelling of herbs. It was just her luck that she'd do something like this. Worst possible ever first impression.

Veri cursed under her breath as she steadied herself and the other female, her ears flat with submission and apology. "I am such a klutz, I am so sorry. Do you need help with that?" she offered Morty, who was carrying a few bundles of new herbs. Anything to redeem her stupid mistake. The Medico laughed and nodded, one arm extended for her to take the bundles. "Don't worry about it, no harm no foul. Were you looking for me up here? I don't smell blood, I don't think you're injured. Is anything wrong?"

The cream she-wolf followed Morty back into the healer room, carefully setting the bundles of herbs and flowers she held on a table. "Oh, no, nothing is wrong, no one is hurt. I was just wondering if you needed any help around here. I know my way around injuries, a few sicknesses, herbs is my strong point. I wanted to learn a bit more about healing, or if I knew something you didn't because of where I grew up, I could share it and pass it on. I love herbs though, and healing." the pack healer seemed to be thinking, her lips pursed a little, as she unwrapped a bundle of flowers.

"Unwrap the bundles, separate the herbs into these empty jars, and label what they are and what it can do." the Medico challenged. The grey female took a step back to watch as Veri fell into a routine. Her hands flowed around with ease, categorizing each flower and herb, even some tree barks, into piles. For each pile there was a jar, and small scraps of paper with prewritten uses on them. That meant Morty had known what plants she was after before hand.

Once each herb was in a jar, she looked over the labels. Lavender, Marigold...Goldenrod, Alder Bark, Yarrow, Willow Bark, Chamomile, Comfrey, Parsley. Rush? What the heck was that? Used to bind broken bones..? Maybe it was the one with the narrow leaves..that would make sense for wrapping. She'd never heard of Snakeroot, but there was only one more jar left that hadn't been paired with a paper.

She stepped back once they were all in place, and she was certain more than half were right. Morty approached the table and looked over the jars, her expression blank. With one hand, the grey she-wolf switched the labels for Goldenrod and Marigold. Veri cursed under her breath. She always got those two confused. But none of the others were moved. She felt a thrill of excitement shoot up her spine. The Medico smiled broadly at her. "Very well done, and quickly too. I've only known Lola to categorize so fluidly. You know quite a lot. I could teach you a bit on the side. And your offer of Celandine for Jasper's eye was appreciated too, it helped. I wouldn't have thought of it myself."

Veri could have jumped up and down with excitement from the Medico's offer to teach her more about what she loved. She didn't think this day could become any better than it already had. Her tail wagged back and forth, a smile pulled at her muzzle, and her eyes were probably lit with joy too. "How soon can I start?" she asked eagerly, her smile still wide.

And seen nothing but nightmares.

Credit:Template
Table by Rurik
Last edited by Veri Secanti on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris
Luperci Healer, Ambassador (CdM) The Brotherhood: Master of Medicines Mate to Rurik

POSTED: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:07 pm

(308) Have a Valerie! Lemme know if I should change anythin' :3

The Knight girl had been practicing fighting with her dagger, using a tree as her target. She'd been slashing at the bark and somehow, she'd gotten a minor cut on her arm, on the top and close to her hand. It'd started seeping trickles of sickly hot blood and she'd decided it might be good to get the thing checked out. The cut stung like Hell, too. So, holding her dagger in one of her hands and letting her other arm hang loosely she headed back to the fort, almost embarrassed by the fact that she'd gotten hurt while she was training and not during the heat of battle. She only hoped that no one would really notice and she headed through the entrance to Fort Kingsbury and towards the healer room where Morty stayed.

"Morty? -" Val peered into the room although stopped short when she saw someone else in there, categorizing the herbs and such. Darn! She was hoping that the medic wasn't busy. Cautiously, the girl stepped inside, ears twitching and tail wagging. "Hi! I don't think I've met you before," the Guarire commented, and then tilted her head forwards in a slight bow, "I'm Valerie," she introduced, almost forgetting about her cut and the reason she'd come to Morty.

She blinked and then looked over towards the medic. "Oh yeah, I cut my arm while I was training with myself," she said, moving her cut arm slightly, feeling her face turn red beneath her thick black fur. Luckily, no one could see her skin because of her fur. "It's not that bad so I could probably come back another time if you're busy," Val continued, twitching her nose. She hoped the medic could deal with her tiny injury now, and hopefully quick, so she could get back to training, or at least try to.

Image credit goes to John Carbone from Getty Images!
valerie rhiannon-knight

POSTED: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:20 am

Veri Secanti
I've gone swimming in the ocean of dreams.
ooc it's all good from here. XD wow I sound just slightly obsessed with herbalism/botany in this post. .-. [508]

Veri shifted and glanced over her shoulder as she heard another canine enter. It was one of the Guarire, if she remembered correctly from the Mentorship ceremony. She smiled at the she-wolf as she introduced herself with a slight head bow. "I don't think we have, not officially at least. It's good to meet you. I'm Veri." the cream furred wolfess stepped to the side to let Morty have access to the herbs to help Valerie with her cut. But the Medico gave her a grin. "Get your tail back over here. You want to learn more? Well, what better way than by in practice? Your first challenge just walked in."

The she-wolf bit her lip. "Right...you don't mind, do you Valerie?" she asked, but she had already inspected the wound even as she voiced the question and she was reading the labels on the bottles for the herbs she wanted. This should be easy, Morty had them stored alphabetically by name. Hmm, dock, to soothe the cut...where was it, it had to be close-ah ha! Dried oak leaf, for stopping any infection. Now, where was the goldenrod she'd just put away? Ah, right there. And, marigold...What was used as a painkiller and to help stop bleeding? Right, raspberry leaves.

Now all she needed was a clean strip of cloth to cover the cut and the herbal concoction once it was applied. She glanced at the Medico and raised an eyebrow. The female pointed to another shelf that had various cloths, bandages, even torn pieces of clothes that had been cleaned, to be used for wrapping wounds. She reached with a hand and took a rolled strip of white cloth and set it on the table for when she needed it later.

There was already a mortar and pestle at hand, within easy reach. All she had to do was take a couple leaves from each plant, petals in the goldenrod's case, and put them in the mortar with some water to make a poultice.

She did so gently, being careful not to harm the rest of the plant in the process. Once all the pieces were in place she picked up the beaker of water that stood to the side and poured a bit into the mortar. Once it seemed equal, she set it back and began to grind the herbs together with the pestle into a thick poultice.

She made sure all the jars were put away once the grinding was finished, turning to Valerie with a sheepish smile. "Sorry, I get lost in myself when preparing herbs...May I apply them? Dock is for soothing, dried oak leaf to stop infection, goldenrod to help with healing, marigold to stop infection again, just in case, and raspberry leaves to help stop unnecessary bleeding. It might sting a little for a few seconds because of the dock, but that's it." it was always a good idea to know what you were being treated with, especially just in case there was any allergies to the plants being used.

And seen nothing but nightmares.

Credit:Template
Table by Rurik
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris
Luperci Healer, Ambassador (CdM) The Brotherhood: Master of Medicines Mate to Rurik

POSTED: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:36 pm

(383) ---

The Knight girl nodded to Veri as she introduced herself, taking note of the Luperci woman's appearance and name so that she would remember who the Prova was if they ran into each other again. "It's good to meet you too," she said politely, because if anything, Valerie was polite -- except when she was around her siblings, she could be a bit nasty then, especially when she was around Annabeth. She allowed a smile to spread across her muzzle, however much her scratch stung, and nodded. "Oh no, I don't mind at all," Val told Veri and Morty, somewhat amused by the fact that she was going to be used for practice.

Eyes narrowing slightly as she squinted at the leaves that were set up in bottles and jars, she watched as Veri picked out certain leaves to prepare the poultice. Valerie didn't know much about herbs, seeing as she was mostly focused on her battle training, but she was pretty sure it'd be nice to learn how to dress a wound, just in case -- maybe she would ask Lola if she knew anything, or ask Veri to teach her some another time. Valerie was intent on returning to her boring training for now.

"That's okay," she told Veri when the canine started talking again, still somewhat amused. She glanced at the mixture, and where the jars were put, wondering if they were organized a specific way -- she was really just looking for details to focus on to keep herself from getting too bored during the process of fixing up her minuscule injury. "Yep, you can," Valerie stated, holding up her arm, which didn't look so bad. There was a cut on her forearm that still trickled bits of blood -- Val also had no idea how she'd managed to cut herself there, instead of on her other hand or on one of her fingers, however she supposed that she just hadn't been paying much attention. "Seems like it'd be difficult to remember all those herbs," she said, attempting to strike up a conversation. She didn't know if it'd be best to talk or remain quite, so she started talking, not wanting the room to be enveloped in some sort of awkward silence -- she hated when that happened.

valerie rhiannon-knight

POSTED: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Ooc here./wc 388

She knew the Guarire was watching her every move as she prepared the poultice, but she didn't mind much, it was still quite relaxing to her, and maybe the girl could learn a trick or two from watching. When she'd turned she smiled. She picked up the mortar once the Knight girl gave permission to be treated. it might have been a formality, but getting in trouble for giving care that hadn't been asked for could be a serious matter.

Veri dipped to fingers of her free hand in the poultice and began to apply it. She knew it would sting a bit, she attempted to make her strokes of applying the concoction quick and steady to make sure the entire cut was covered. She smiled up at Valerie when the girl commented that it seemed difficult to remember all the plants. "Not really, to be honest. I grew up around herbs and plants. They were a part of my lessons, the same as your warrior training is now. Memorizing the forms of a fight, or battle strategies, is little different, really. Each plant has a purpose or two, and when combined with another plant, those different purposes are meshed to make the effect even stronger than they each would on their own."

It was a perfect way of describing it, truly. And by the time she had finished speaking, the wound was well slathered with the poultice. She set the mortar back down on the table and took the cloth, wrapping the material snuggly to keep the wound clean. She deftly tied off the bandage gently, just tight enough that it wouldn't come undone, and tucked the ends underneath to ensure they wouldn't get snagged on anything and the bandage ripping off.

"All set there. Leave it like that for a day or two, then unwrap it and check to make sure it isn't sensitive, hot to the touch, or swollen. If it is, then come back here, if not, then is should be fine to leave uncovered after that, it'll heal on it's own then." she instructed warmly, working on putting the little bit of left over poultice into another container. "Or if you think it should have at least one more coat of the poultice, Morty or I would be happy to do that too."
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

POSTED: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:21 pm

(367) Sorry for the wait! .. and hopefully I got this on the right account this time haha!

The Guarire watched cautiously as the Prova applied to poultice to her arm, wincing because she expected it to hurt, even if it didn't even sting as much as she expected it too. Val attempted to remain as still as possible while Veri continued to apply the herbs to her arm, hardly able to remember what she said she had put into the mixture. "I still don't think I'd be able to remember any of this," the Rhiannon-Knight girl said with a chuckle. All she'd ever really learned had been things to do with fighting, or reading or writing (even if she wasn't as good at those two things as her brother was).

"What's in this again? I know you said but I couldn't remember everything at what it was for -- didn't you say marigold for something?" Valerie asked. She was most definitely not as good with herbs as she was with a dagger or sword, not that she was as good with either of those as she'd like to be. Valerie continued to watch as the creamy hued canine wrapped the small wound up with cloth, and then brought up her forearm to look at the dressing. Yeah, she doubted she could ever learn how to do that.

Veri also gave her some instructions, which she attempted to remember. "Got it," she said, running over what she'd said in her head. Leave it like that for a few days, check it, make sure it isn't warm or swollen or sensitive or something like that... if it is, check back in, she thought, about to prod at the wrapping. Valerie stopped herself just as she was about to and then looked back over at the Veri. "Are you going to try and get a medic co-rank or something?" she asked, curious as to whether Veri would attempt to get a rank where she could continue with whatever it was she did -- healing. "You seem like you'd be pretty good at it," the coywolf commented with a small nod of her head, basing her opinion off of how well the Prova seemed to have just preformed, even if she didn't know that much about the craft.

valerie rhiannon-knight

POSTED: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:39 am

Ooc I....apologize...so much. T.T I completely forgot about this thread, omg. I will post now. Sorries! x.x/wc 339

Veri smiled as she finished putting the poultice away once it was properly labeled and settled onto a shelf. Valerie's voice had her turn around and grin with a chuckle. "Maybe with some practice you could." she winked at the coywolf, then straightened and lifted one hand, ticking off a finger for each ingredient she named. "Raspberry leaves to help with any excessive bleeding. Dock, to soothe the cut so it's not quite as sensitive to the touch or painful. Goldenrod, to speed up the healing process a bit. Dried oak leaf to prevent infection, and Marigold to also prevent or heal infection, for twice the power."

She chuckled at the expression of the girls face. "In so many words, if it hurts or doesn't feel like it should in two or three days, come back to see me or Morty." she said with a smile. The tips of her ears warmed slightly when Valerie brought up the medic co-rank. She smiled sheepishly this time and nodded, an eagerness in her sapphire eyes that made them shine like twin blue stars. "Yes, very much. I know I can't get it as only a Prova, but the more I learn and know will make it easier to get it, I'd imagine. Even if I didn't get a Medico co-rank and instead had a Verde co-rank, I'd still be around, helping Morty out and growing the herbs in the garden behind the Courthouse."

One could tell from the excitement in her voice that this was a passion she loved and would give her heart to, just as some warriors gave their hearts to their weapon. She would not be idle in this, but grow more and more in her ability to heal and know herbs. She grinned at Valerie. "If you'd like, I could tell you just a couple basic things to look for if you're on your own and injured and can't get to a healer very quickly. It wouldn't hurt to know a thing or two, just in case."
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

POSTED: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

(342) Sorry about the wait ):

The coywolf listened diligently as the other canine repeated the ingredients in the poultice, nodding slowly as she once more tried to commit the herbs to memory, just in case she had to use them at some point if Morty or Veri weren't around. "Raspberry leaf, dock, goldenrod, dried oak, marigold, got it," Val whispered under her breath, although the titles of the herbs were already beginning to slip from her mind, no matter how hard she tried to hold onto them. Although, after repeating them a few times she had the names down, even if she couldn't remember the uses as well. "And I'll make sure if it feels strange or hasn't gotten better I'll come in and check with you or Morty," she added, although she was sure she had already clarified on that earlier. Valerie wasn't really remembering things too well today.

She smiled when Veri said she was indeed going to aim for the Medico co-rank or the herbalist one. "Well, it'd definitely be nice to have more than one healer around, just in case," she stated with a nod, knowing that Morty could probably get overwhelmed if there was a fight or something and it was just her who was helping out. The darkly colored canine glanced at the bandages wrapped around her forearms once again before immediately snapping her attention back up towards Veri, who seemed to speak so passionately about healing and herbs and such. It was very impressive, and reminded Valerie about how she felt about what she was learning.

"That'd be very nice of you!" she exclaimed with a grin spreading across her face. Of course, Val was always eager to learn and would never turn down the chance to. Plus, if she were ever wandering around outside the territories or somewhere where the medics couldn't get to her, she would be able to help herself out. "I'd really appreciate that," she continued, twitching her tail, obviously interested. She obviously didn't doubt Veri's teaching abilities, either, and thus was very enthusiastic about learning.

valerie rhiannon-knight

POSTED: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Ooc maybe end it in the next few? Aaaand short, gah./wc 199

The cream woman had turned away to put away a few more things, but looked over her shoulder with a pleased smile and nod. "It would definitely lessen the amount of strain on Morty." she said with a glance in the Medico's direction. The woman snorted and waved her off. "Strain smain. I've managed for this long, I'm fine. Though, it would be nice to have another friend that knows what in blazes I'm talking about. Almost no one here knows anything about herbs or healing except for Lola, and that's just one." she admitted. Veri grinned and winked at Morty. 101

"Then I'd be more than happy to teach you a few things. It wouldn't be anything too hard to memorize, just little things to know if you're alone. And of course, there are other plants that don't do much for medicinal use, they just taste good. Maybe if you'd like you could use this toward a co-rank too. Each member is allowed...two co-ranks, isn't that right? I've only been aiming for the one, so I didn't look into it too hard. My mistake." she said sheepishly with a little smile, her sapphire blue eyes chagrined.
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

POSTED: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:06 am

Talking to Veri was interesting and attention-grabbing, mainly because Valerie liked having conversations she could learn something from. Veri was definitely smart, too, and so was Morty, which made it even more interesting to talk to the two canines. With a polite smile still spread across her face, she continued to listen to the creamy-colored wolfess speak, drinking in pretty much everything she said even when it wasn't important. Her arm still stung, but she'd pushed that to the back of her mind so she could listen better.

Valerie tilted her head to the left for a second. She hadn't thought about actually learning healing for a co-rank, but supposed that it could be useful -- besides, she needed one to move up in the ranks after her First Blood, right? Anyhow, she didn't know which one she was going to aim for, so maybe Veri had had a good idea. "Oh, that's a good idea," she commented with a nod of her head, "I probably wouldn't make a good healer, though," she said with a small chuckle, "Though I am pretty interested in learning!" the coywolf finished off, speaking the truth. Sure, she was more into fighting, but watching the two work, especially Veri, had sparked the smallest amount of interest in the subject. "So, what're like the pretty basic things? Dressing a wound or something? Maybe I should learn that, you know, just in case I get in trouble somewhere or something," the Rhiannon-Knight suggested with a small roll of her shoulders. If she was wrong about that, she would listen to whatever else Veri had to say, since she obviously knew more about basics than Valerie did.

((sorry for the wait and would you like to do an OOC ending or something?))

valerie rhiannon-knight

Dead Topics