The unsocial birds are a greater race

Cold-eyed, and their blood burns.

POSTED: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Great Village. Gehazi is probably a bit overweight from lack of exercise. Lemme know if I should change anything!

Progress with the eagle had been poor for a very long time. Vesper did not understand the solitary raptor as well as the social ravens, and so she'd struggled with changing her behavior and thoughts to adapt. The meeting with Siv had been good, in this way; the woman had given her equipment and invaluable, if simple, advice about how the eagle was not going to be Vesper's "companion," but that Ves would have to teach her that her presence meant food and hunting. Once that thought was firmly placed in the Centurion's mind, she could better understand the bird -- more wild than the ravens, but also able to understand the positive reinforcement of food or safety in response to her behavior.

Vesper named the bird "Gehazi." Gehazi named her many things that were derogatory and often not translatable to High Speech. Vesper fed her meat. Gehazi tried to eat her fingers. They progressed from the heavily controlled but cruel cage to a more open abandoned house in the village, allowing Gehazi flight but not escape, in a place where Vesper could control the light and take advantage of her better night vision. And, eventually, Vesper was able to fasten the jesses and teach Gehazi that her presence -- and that of the gauntlet given to her -- meant food.

Training Gehazi was difficult, and Vesper largely felt that she was alone in her task. The ravens had lived with coyotes for generations, and so it was easy for a newcomer to toss them food and ask simple tasks of them, but she didn't know anyone else in the clan that would want to deal with the giant bird -- until she saw Ombre with the peregrine falcon.

She howled for the coydog now, standing outside the little house in the Great Village where she kept Gehazi. The golden eagle was on her arm, hooded, jesses tied around her legs, the leather gripped tight in the coyote's hand. Vesper did not currently trust her letting her loose outside, though they'd done exercises indoors where she'd gotten the bird to fly from a perch to her hand -- with a tempting food reward, of course. That was the greatest breakthrough, though now she merely stood with the heavy animal on her arm, waiting for Ombre.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:34 pm

+311 out of character

Ombre had to say that she was quite surprised to be summoned. She hadn't expected it and had no idea what it could be over. Ha dher planned excursions been found out about? She hadn't done anything that she figure would need rebuking. The things that she was doing was meant to improve Inferni. Granted the foals were for her because she didn't know how the other equines were trained but she had no problems with them being for the use of the entirety of Inferni once they were old enough.

The livestock she just wanted to get fresh blood for and she didn't see an issue with that either. Honestly, she could think of nothing. Still she didn't bother to dawdle and wasted no time in answering the call with one of her own. She acknowledged the summons and answered it with the confirmation that she was on her way. She left the foals back at the mansion and quickly made her way for where the call had originated from.

The brindled hybrid set of at a brisk pace and ended up panting as she neared the building where she found the subleader. "You called?" She asked between gasps for breath. It took her a moment to realize that the other wasn't alone. "What happened?" She asked when she noticed the large bird. The hybrid figured that the avian creature had been injured, same as how the falcon had been found. Ombre even went as far as trying to speaking to the bird to ask it what was wrong, speaking to it in low speech. It was perhaps a silly thing to do since obviously Vesper had no issues speaking with birds since she had Stark for a companion. Still she hadn't considered that fact right away but had gotten caught up in the concern she felt for the eagle.

DEAD
Luperci Falconer Level III Immunes 04

POSTED: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:18 pm

--

See galleries for credit.

The brindle coydog appeared, panting, and Vesper felt momentarily guilty that she hadn’t clarified more in her call, or otherwise made it clear that it was a polite request rather than an order. Certainly she had the right to order others to help, and call it “assisting the pack,” but that was more of a wolf move in her mind. She was a lax leader, not demanding much out of her subordinates, especially in these peaceful times.

Uh, yes, Vesper responded, and hesitated at the second question. Ombre went ahead and questioned the bird in Low Speech, and Gehazi shifted her grip on the falconer’s glove, viewing the newcomer through narrowed eyes. After a moment, she blinked and swiveled her head to look in another direction, deciding not to answer.

Nothing is wrong with her, other than some hurt pride that she’s even here, the lean coywolf clarified, her posture sinking a little. I received her in a trade and thought I could use some advice on training her and shaping her to be an asset to myself and the clan. I know you rescued a falcon and have been working with it, so I thought I could see if you could tell me anything. You’re better with raptors than I am. She offered the other a grin, but shrugged. Only if you’re not busy, though. This is low priority.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:37 pm

+522 Btw, is this going to be able to be used for the corank?

Ombre couldn't help but frowning at hearing that the bird had hurt pride. Ombre believed that absolutely everyone and everything deserved respect. And even though she had a belief in fate, in things happening for a reason, she also believed in the free will of others. She didn't think that anyone should be forced into doing something that they did not want to do. Perhaps Ombre wasn't built to be a survivor with her being much too gentle in the way that she approached things.

Ombre tried with the bird once again, asking it if she would like to share her name with her. The low speech request was clearly that, a request. She was leaving it entirely up to the raptor if she wished to respond or not, there wasn't going to be any force with her.

"You aren't going to get anywhere with her like this." Such a statement could easily be taken as disrespectful but the hybrid meant no such thing. "Satire is doing better because she wants to. Your friend is clearly going to be stubborn about anything that she does not want to do." Ombre spoke with complete honesty. "She is beautiful in her own right and you should acknowledge that. She has her own mind and thoughts. You will do better when you stop trying to control her and let her make up her own mind." Ombre said as she slowly reached out a hand towards the bird. Even though she wished to touch the hybrid simply allowed her hand to hang in the air for the raptor to decide if she wished to be touched or not.

"She is not going to listen and cooperate with what you want to do as long as you continue to disrespect her." What she was saying probably wasn't what was wanted to be heard. After all she was criticizing what the leader was doing rather than speaking on how to force the bird into submission. "Jinpa stays with me not because I make her but because she wants to. She knows that she can leave whenever she wants to and there is nothing I can do about it. She stays because I care for her, not as property but as a friend. Satire wasn't as lucky, I admit. She couldn't just leave because of her wing but she is doing better now. She only does what I say because she knows I only have her best interests at heart." Her explanation was a rambling one and so she paused to recollect her thoughts in order to try to make what she was trying to get across concise. "Before worrying about what you want her to do just try getting to know her better first. More progress is often made if you don't try to force it. If she decides to do something that coincides with what you want let her know you appreciate her effort, praise her, reward her. Don't force your will but try t find a compromise instead. You will find that a friend wants to do more to help you then a possession ever will."

DEAD

POSTED: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah, I'd imagine so!

Vesper twitched her ear back at the sight of her subordinate’s frown. She felt a bit defensive; she disliked being judged or seen as doing something wrong, and so her temper leaped up before she could quite catch it in her teeth and bring it down again. Though careful not to show outright annoyance, she did shift her posture uncomfortably then speak a bit curtly when Ombre spoke to the eagle in Low Speech again, asking a name.

“I’ve tried to ask the same,” the Centurion stated. “I call her Gehazi, and she answers.” Even then, the animal twitched her head to focus one dark eye on the coyote, before shuffling her wings and staring back at Ombre, uneasy, and nervously snapping her beak when the hand reached toward her.

Vesper’s defensiveness rose as Ombre continued. She felt like a child being chastised—just as she’d felt like a fool child under Siv’s dark purple gaze. It was not a position she wanted to be put in. She’d always ridiculed wolves for following their alpha as if they were infallible, all groveling and nodding their heads at every decree—but she realized that being infallible, a god, was preferable to being told that she was wrong by one of her members. Only the eagle standing on her arm, weighing it down, kept her posture from sinking and growing aggressive.

There were dark implications with what Ombre said, and somewhere during her speech it clicked with Vesper that she was conditioning Gehazi like a slave. Remembering the Salsolan woman again, her gaze darkened, and her muzzle wrinkled. She said nothing, though, and only let the brindle coydog continue. Once she finished, speaking of friendship, Vesper wrinkled her nose again.

“I’ve clearly done wrong,” she growled, and released the jesses that kept Gehazi tied to her. She made a motion with her arm to launch the raptor from her glove, and with a surprised sound, the eagle flew. She was overweight from feeding without hunting and flying, but with a few flaps of her giant wings, she made it to the roof of a nearby building. She stopped there, glancing back at the coyotes, uncertain of what had happened.

“Where do you draw the line?” Vesper demanded of Ombre, pulling off the leather glove and throwing it down onto the ground. Her actions were abrupt, her tone hard, but flattened ears and a slightly sunken posture indicated that she was defensive rather than outright aggressive and angry. “Working with animals,” she clarified. “The ravens use us for protection and food, but that was started long ago, only because that first raven was intelligent enough to decide. There are no bonds of friendship unless an animal is the same as us. Look at our horses. They’re prey, like deer; you’re not supposed to sit on them because it isn’t natural. But Luperci go out and they tame horses, I’ve seen them make them wear saddles and work them; the horse never asked for that.”

She looked to the roof with anger, but Gehazi had flown away. She thought of the precious things she’d traded to the d’Artisan who captured her, and to the Salsolan who’d given her leather and advice. “I tried to make Gehazi learn that if she worked with me, she’d have easy food and protection, just like the ravens. But where did I start treating her as a slave?”

Quite abruptly, the leader’s posture deflated. She stopped bristling and showing her teeth, and instead her eyes flicked downward, staring at the glove and the jesses.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:18 pm

+540 Kays, just didn't know if you talked about it being expanded past including only ravens. And feel all bad about Gehazi being released cause of Ombre

"She will tell us when she is ready for us to know." Ombre stated simply, fully believing it. She thought that anything could be waited out and finally a desired result would come if one were patient enough, at least where living beings were concerned in the very least. She wasn't so soft in the head to believe that mountains could be moved if only one thought so hard about it and willed it to happen. But no, dealing with other beings she believed that they could be won over with patience.

Ombre dropped her hand when it was snapped at to show that she wasn't about to press the issue. She wanted the raptor to know that she was willing to take things at her pace rather than trying to force anything. She figured that once the raptor knew she was being given a choice in what was to happen then she would be more willing to cooperate.

When the leader admitted to doing wrong, not that Ombre had meant for such a thing to happen, she figured that vesper had thought she had done wrong in asking Ombre for help since Ombre didn't subscribe to the same train of thought. Just like the raptor the hybrid was surprised when the bird was released. Ombre turned her head in order to look over to where the bird had flow to and watched it for a moment before focusing on Vesper once more as the other female started to speak once more.

"I don't know." Ombre admitted softly. She had never exactly thought of such things. "I'm not perfect. I've captured foals and brought them back." And they hadn't asked for it but Ombre had chosen ones that didn't seem to be thriving too well. Plus she got them young enough to befriend them easily and have them willing to do as she said. She had never thought of why it was done in the first place, why Luperci had ever chosen to tame horses to begin with. It was something she had never put much thought to but the interaction was something that she enjoyed. "Should I release them as well? They were much thinner when I first got them." Ombre hadn't even considered the wishes of the foals in that instance but had just seen the poor state that they were in and just had to have them and help them.

She followed the leader's glance to the roof. "She may come back still. She may decide she likes being with you." Ombre sighed softly, even though the question was most likely rhetoric she answered it anyways. "When it started becoming about what you wanted to happen instead of what she was willing to let happen." She hadn't meant to make Vesper get rid of the bird but just to show her a better way of doing things. "Would you like to just sit back and have every taken of for you should you only do everything someone else told you or would you rather the ability to make your own choice and do for yourself even if it might be harder?" While Ombre didn't have the desire to hunt she wouldn't deny knowing that others possessed it.

DEAD

POSTED: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 am

Nah, it's okay! Unexpected character development is funnnn. (And I blame Mel who made Siv put ideas in Vesper's head! Haha.) Also to keep this counting kind of, maybe Ombre can offer to talk about how she trained the falcon instead?

Many monsters existed in the world; Vesper believed that. She believed in the wrongness of things, such as killing or manipulating or betraying. But there was one monster she believed in beyond that, and that was the sort of monster who took freedom. It was a monster that prowled in Salsola, forcing non-Luperci down and converting them, holding them against their will, breaking their spirit. It was a monster from her dreams that had fiery eyes and pressed her into the dirt at the edge of Inferni’s borders, breath hot, threatening worse than death.

She’d nearly done the same, taking Gehazi’s freedom and spirit. She barely expected an answer from the Vigilus when she shouted. They were justifications toward herself, not proper questions. She was caught up in her anger and emotion and was breathing hard. It had all been easier when she was a non-Luperci, when she didn’t believe in the companionship of other species. It was Luperci evil that did this.

“No,” she muttered when Ombre asked about releasing the foals. “They’re safer here, well-fed. And if I thought having horses was really wrong then I’d have to speak of my mate, too. But no. Neither of you have a harsh hand. You’re kind.” It was impossible for her to view what Myrika did, working with her horses, as wrong in that sense. Then again, most of her criticism in that moment was turned inward, working at the insecurities behind her mask of pride.

She snorted when Ombre suggested that the eagle might come back, but looked at her, giving her full attention, when she answered the question. She nodded in agreement, her ear and head low. “It’s better to fight to survive, being free, than being caged because the cage is safer,” she said softly. “I understand. I’m sorry—I’m sorry I yelled,” she muttered. “There’s a lot on my mind right now, and you’re right.”

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:36 am

+513Heh, okay, just didn't want you feeling as if you had to do that and I ended up ruining stuff you had planned cause of it

"I didn't ask them what they wanted but just took them." She admitted to having had a slip in abiding by her own words and philosophy. "They looked like nothing but skin and bones and so I just couldn't leave them." It had been her desire to help that had outweighed the moral judgment to see what they had wanted from the start. Not to mention that she just loved working with young. That had been her favorite part in Tibet, to be with the young animals.

"There is no need for apologies. Everyone reacts to stress and criticism differently." There was no way that she could ever fault a natural reaction. Actually there was hardly a thing that she found fault in. She firmly believe that everyone did what was best for them and there was no reason to judge that. Such as not hunting is what worked for her. She was still able to survive without putting any stress on the clan.

"It is best to start off young if you want to work with them. I've known Jinpa since she was a hatchling. We have always been together so she doesn't have to say much to understand her. When they grow up knowing you it makes it easier to befriend them. They are more trusting and willing to listen to you From having always known you." She stared out at where the bird had once been. "She could realize that you truly meant no harm and home back. Birds are really perceptive and highly intelligent. That is why it is easier to come together and reach an understanding otherwise it will be a contest of wills." She shared what she knew and observed about birds. Even though Ghost didn't understand High Speech there was no questioning the raven's intelligence. It made Ombre glad the bird was coming to trust her more and more, especially as Ombre continued to bring offerings of food with her every visit. She also sat awhile and talked so that the raven could understand and allowed Ombre to get to know the scavenger bird better.

She turned back to Vesper once more. "I was lucky with Ire. With her injury we spent plenty of time together. I talked her through her treatments and assured her that all I wanted was for her to get better. I encouraged her to get better so that she could fly free again." Ombre couldn't help smiling wistfully as she thought of it all. "While Ire was unable to do much I would spend whatever time I could just sitting with her and talking to her. I asked her questions to find out more about her instead of pressing things I wished her to know on her. I never forced her to answer but let her share what she wished. She is the only female that was born in her clutch, the others were her three brothers." Ombre decided to share some of what she had been told, it wasn't too personal of information but still demonstrated how she had gotten to know the falcon in her care.

"If she comes back then you should try to get to know more about her." Ombre motioned to where the released creature had rested before flying off. "I'm certain the two of you will do better when you can get to know each other. It is how Ire came to do what I wanted. I wasn't just trying to make her do things but showed I actually cared and wanted what was best for her by taking the time to find out about her. I made it all about her rather than me. I posed questions rather than demands and when she had questions of her own I answered them." It was the best bit of advice that Ombre could think to give. If you couldn't start young then try to get to know the older charge. Ombre knew it wasn't always possible to get a newborn but the younger the better to work with and build up a reputation with.

DEAD

POSTED: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:24 pm

The brindle hybrid assured her that she didn't need to apologize -- Vesper realized how ridiculous of a leader she must look like -- and then Ombre began to speak of her own experience with the birds of prey. Ves listened to her attentively.

It sounded so simple when the Vigiles said it, made it seem obvious, made what Vesper had attempted to do ridiculous. Stark and the other intelligent ravens had more come to her than she had to them, but the young ones were still young, easily molded and eager to work in exchange for food and company. Vesper knew them well, and Ombre's explanation about sitting and talking with Ire made her think of her own relationship with Stark, something that went beyond falconer and bird.

"I don't know why I tried to force her," she murmured, still guilty. "With Stark, we're equals -- we talk to each other, and he teaches me more than I teach him anything. It helps that he knows our tongue, but..." She shook her head and forced herself to listen again to Ombre and the suggestion that Ves get to know the eagle, personally, if she returned -- rather than shoving her in a cage and hoping for the best. Where Vesper had gotten that ridiculous idea, she didn't know.

She sighed and nodded. "I'll try. I don't blame her if she never wants to come back, though." She looked at the ground. "Thank you, Ombre." She was grateful for the advice -- and also grateful that Ombre wasn't screaming at her. She had ever right to be disgusted by her leader now; Vesper had clearly messed up.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:36 am

+378 out of character

"We all have slips in judgment where we are more eager about the results rather than the process that it takes to get them." Again she was easily pardoning what Vesper had done and giving her an excuse to use to explain it all away. It wasn't Ombre's place to judge such things after all. Everyone lost focus from time to time. After all Ombre had admitted to doing so herself as he it concerned the foals. She had been eager to get them back to Inferni and bring them back up to health that she hadn't considered what she was actually doing and what it took to make it happen. After all she had separated them from their family and forced them across the bay followed by the long trip back. She had added more stress to them just for the desire to relieve it in the long run.

"And that is how you need to treat her should she come back, or any others that you decide you want to work with. Treat them as equals and you will have better results. I've seen how close you are Stark are. You just need to remember that for others as well." It was the way that Ombre dealt with things. Granted it could be harder in cases of working with the stubborn but she thought it to work out better in the long run. Then again Ombre was willing to work for a long lasting relationship then to just get some quick result that was destined to be temporary.

"I hope that she will. I hope that she had seen that you aren't cruel at heart but just had a lapse in judgment." And of course Ombre honestly believed that about the leader. She didn't think that Vesper could ever truly mean to harm another. But even though Ombre desired for the bird to give the other female another chance she couldn't say for certain just how long the raptor would hold a grudge. Perhaps if the hybrid ever saw the bird again then she could talk to her and try to make her understand that it was all a misunderstanding and that Vesper would do better next time if only she could be given another chance.

DEAD

Dead Topics