Keep Working And Nobody Explodes

POSTED: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:17 pm

OOC: Takes place in the afternoon at the corral/stables in the Hee Haw Orchards. Co-rank thread ("Constructor") for Sedona. WC:732

IC: It was a slightly warmer day than what was normal for October. The sun was high in the sky and beating warmly down upon the back of the coydog hybrid woman hard at work re-fencing the now enlarged corral that would hold the pack's herd of horses and now had a proper gate and even a small extension area laid out for horses needing separation from the rest. Sedona had been dutifully working day after day to lay out the posts of wood she'd need and the slats to run between them wherever the old corral posts where termite or weather worn and needing replaced. All the horses were currently stabled away or tied securely to the side of the barn or to hitching posts stuck in the ground while she worked so none of them were at risk of wandering off while their pen was being rebuilt.

The Whitesage female had been at her task nearly all day again, since early morning after having made her rounds to feed and care for the pack's livestock as she'd taken to doing along with the assistance of a couple other pack mates who were just as fond of the animals as she was. She was slowly becoming more and more at home within Mistfell Vale. The life of being a Mistwalker was well suited for her and she was making fast friends. He skills were of great use to the pack, which made her feel all the more needed and accepted within the ranks. Sedona was someone who always put her work ahead of just about everything else. Sometimes to the point of flaw. She occasionally needed reminding when to slow down or take breaks. Her sore muscles from working on repairing the roof of her own home still hadn't stopped complaining before she'd set to work on the corral, but the cowgirl didn't seem to mind much.

With a soft sigh, Sedona rose from her position crouched at the base of one of her freshly placed fence posts and stepped back to take a look at it and make sure it stood straight. Nodding, satisfied, she removed her cowgirl hat and wiped the sweat gathering on her brow. It had been a long day so far and she was nearly done placing the last of the posts. It was now about time to start lifting the cross bar slats into place between them that would actually hold the animals penned in. Smiling, breathing a little heavily in the heat of the day, Sedona moved to the shade of the half re-built barn and leaned against the cool siding, next to a water barrel. Nearby some of the horses tied in the shade looked up from their idle grazing on the hay piles beside them. The cowgirl smiled at the animals and clucked her tongue at them watching their reactions. She was still only getting to know most of their names and personalities just as they were still getting used to her. Thankfully, most the creatures were friendly and not too difficult to handle.

Taking the time to catch her breath and assess which area of the fencing she wanted to finish constructing first, Sedona gazed out across the orchard rows as far as the eye could see, admiring the colors of Autumn that caught her attention. It was quite beautiful here. She was lucky to have found such a wonderful place to call home. Turning and cupping her hands to take a drink from the water barrel, the woman sated her thirst with a few mouthfuls before heading back out into the sun, brushing her paw along the flank of her own mare, Hopi as she passed her by and went towards the pile of wooden slats that she and a fellow pack mate had hauled out a few days earlier. "Alright. Phase two." She thought and bent to pick up two cross boards and began to haul them over between two freshly dug posts. "This place will be fixed up and lookin' pretty in no time!" She said out loud to noone in particular, a determined grin on her face. She knew that things would go a lot faster and efficiently with help, but for now, she was perfectly content to go about her business alone. Though of course she'd never say no to a helping hand should they come about.
Last edited by Sedona Whitesage on Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Westy
Luperci Drakehund II Mate to Sineria

POSTED: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Willow can be assumed to have declined and walked away.

Willow ate the apple slowly, enjoying his luck at having successfully found a tree with some apples still left. The small handful he collected he returned to his small home and put into a bowl like a pretty picture of domestication. They were sweet enough to make him happy and the dog genes forced his tail to wag with indication of his actual enjoyment. What a rare sight, considering Willow was borderline constantly grumpy, moody, and sour. But the apples were too sweet to be too sour at that moment.

The knife in hand was one of the few he owned, mostly used for taking cuttings or trimming overgrowths in his small garden. It swiped through the apple skin a little roughly but it was long overdue for a sharpening; he just did not know how to do that so had never bothered. Someone likely knew a thing or two, but he was not the type to seek help even when suffering. Hence why he was likely to just die alone one day.

Why he passed by the stables? Habit, probably. He was still instinctively driven to go by them as his father was likely to help out at them and it was the easiest place to see his horse-crazy family members. Of all of them, his still-living father was the one he liked the most. Probably.

Instead of his father, though, he saw a woman working on a fence. That same instinct that drove him there in the first place started screaming that he turn around and go a longer route. He would have to converse with the woman laboring and then he would be forced to help. Then he would demonstrate just how functionally useless of a person he was and embarrass himself. Then, he’d have to go lay down in his house for six weeks and never come out until the foolishness disappeared.

That negative little voice was, perhaps, too insistent that time and Willow sighed as he forced himself to ignore its nagging warnings. It was so much louder the older he got, but he did tend to push it away enough to likely irritate it into upping the volume.

What’re you doing? asked Willow, his half eaten apple in hand and a new slice going to his mouth as he chewed on the delicate pale flesh with some level of visible satisfaction.

Willow
Vows are spoken to be broken. Feelings are intense, words are trivial

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki

Gen
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:49 am

OOC: EDIT: 12/11/18 This thread is now AW, and backdated. This is still for Sedona's co-rank! Please see Gen's OOC note above! Sorry for any confusion! <3 WC: 308

IC: Sedona carried the heavy wood out into the field and set them down loudly with a clatter at the base of the posts shed secured earlier that morning. Turning back towards the pile near the barn, her eyes caught sight of a stranger approaching, an apple in hand, watching her as she went. She waved a paw, a friendly gesture to her fellow Mistwalker and her ears perked as the male's voice carried across the fields. "What're you doing?" He asked simply and the cowgirl chuckled. Instead of calling her answer across the distance of the corral, the coydog jogged her way back to into the shade and smiled greeting her new fond company with a nod of her head and a wagging tail.

"I'm fixin' up the corral. It's been rotten and needin' repairs so I've been goin' about replacing posts and am about to put all the crossboards back up now." She informed him panting a little between statements. "It's a lot o' work, but I don't mind it." She said and gazed out across the grazing field. She still had half the day to work before the sun would set and things would become too dark to see by unless someone else carried a lantern about for her to work by the light of. "M'name Sedona by the way. I don't think we've met." Sedona said kindly, holding out a strong, calloused paw for the male to shake as one of the many horses whinnied somewhere behind her. "Pleasure to meet ya!" She chuckled. "Say, you wouldn't happen to be able to lend me a hand would ya?" She asked and gestured at the pile of wooden boards she'd been hauling from. "It'll go a lot faster if there's more'n one person workin'..." She told him with a hopeful tilt of her cowboy hat wearing head.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Westy

POSTED: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Ooc: Just as far as Admins are concerned Westy asked if I could come in and play Dalia here, and I was happy to help.

IC: Dalia walked along through the orchards as she saw a male and a female alongside a bunch of stables. As she walked up in optime form she paused as her beloved vixen strolled up to her side and peered up at the stables too with Dalia. "Huh..." Dalia thought to herself as she examined the place and she crossed her arms as she examined everything. Dalia has never seen proper stables in a while and she seemed curious to say the least as she looked the place over. Dalia then approached as the male turned away and left, and she watched him briefly as he walked off. Red, of course, kept her distance from the stranger for her own safety, although she was never in any danger to begin with.

"Hello there...!" Dalia barked with a friendly smile on her face as she walked up to the woman. "Name's Dalia, and there’s a vixen roaming around here of mine named Red, she’s a bit shy." Dalia exclaimed and glanced back at the stables and paused to take in the view one more time. "Huh... quite the place ya got here..." She commented before she turned back to the woman and gave her an encouraging smile.

WC: 216
She’s an odd gal, with an itchy trigger finger... and a heart of Gold

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Sin/Dragonman
Luperci Mate to Yvonne

POSTED: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 pm

OOC: Thanks For helping, Sineria! :D WC: 409

IC: Sedona chatted a moment with the male, she came to know as Willow. He was on his way elsewhere and politely declined her offer before heading off. Looked like she would have to continue her project on her own. She was just turning to head back out of the shade and towards the piled of wood slats when a new voice called out, calling the cowgirl's attention. "Hello there!" Sedona spun on her heels with a friendly grin and a wag of her tail at the next stranger. It seemed packmates she'd yet to meet were coming out of everywhere today! "Howdy!" The Whitesage women replied and waved the brown hued female over. "Name's Dalia, and there’s a vixen roaming around here of mine named Red, she’s a bit shy." Dalia introduced herself and Sedona caught a glimpse of reddish fur in the tall grass near a fencepost to the corral. Sedona chuckled. "Nice t'meet ya Dalia. I'm Sedona. And it's a pleasure t'meet ya as well Red." She smiled at the tuft of grass.

"Huh... quite the place ya got here..." Dalia commented on the barn which was in the midst of heavy repairs and the partly reconstructed corral. Sedona nodded and rubbed the back of her neck glancing around at the work yet to be done with a sense of determination. "Yep! This is the Vale's barn and corral. The livestock are all kept'n here, but as we expand the place needs repairs to make the structure safe all 'round." She explained to her new company. "I'm in the midst of fixin' up the corral." The cowgirl said gesturing to all the fencing. She then eyed the other woman, noticing the strength in her build and limbs. Another strong helper would make the project go so much faster... That and so would getting to know the woman. "Say, ya wouldn't be up to givin' me a hand would ya? We'd just be puttin' all these cross slats into place between the posts." She said gesturing to each item around them as she spoke. The cowgirl gave Dalia a hopeful look. It wasn't that she was looking to get out of the work, it was that it was so much nicer to work when you had the time to pass with another person to interact with. It could get lonely. That's why Sedona enjoyed working with Brom. Even if he was a pain in the ass at times.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Westy

POSTED: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Dalia smiled at the Sedona and the she turned to the posts and said, "Sure, I’d be glad to lend a hand, but I can’t say I’ve done something like this before." Dalia certainly had limited ranch experience and the truth behind Sedona's request wasn’t entirely clear, but loneliness was something she a lot of experience with. So overall she was happy to make a new friend or two around the pack, especially considering her experiences with the pack before Mistfell Vale. Dalia's loner life wasn’t much in terms of what a life actually was and she felt that even Inferni was at least slightly better, even though everyone there hated her.

Since the task at hand didn’t have anything to do with hunting, Dalia laid her bow and quiver down on the ground next to her so she could assist Sedona.

"So, Sedona, right? You have a talent for ranchwork, or is this just something you do to get by here?" Dalia asked as she just wanted to contribute to some conversation with this woman. Sedona at least seemed nice enough for small talk and a favor for help, so Dalia was happily inclined to help out wherever she was needed. Although, while she waited for a response she did occasionally glance out into the scenery and think,"Now where did that fox run off to?"

WC: 241

OOC: apologies for the response time, tests for school pop up near Christmas break so I’ve been busy.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Sin/Dragonman
Luperci Mate to Yvonne

POSTED: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:06 pm

WC: 423

"Sure, I’d be glad to lend a hand, but I can’t say I’ve done something like this before." Dalia accepted the offer and the Whitesage woman wagged her tail harder. Sedona was grateful for the help. The cowgirl was not by any means incapable, no, but as the old saying went, two heads were better than one. And the corral was oh so very close to being completed. "Excellent. Thank ya so much! I can show ya exactly what to do. It's really simple." Said the coydog, moving to grab one of the long planks of wood used to keep the horses contained. With a grunt she lifted it up onto her shoulder and smiled at her company. "These boards, go over here." She explained, walking into the sunlight and over between two posts in the ground. She hoisted the wood into place crossing it between the poles dug into the ground and then gestured for Dalia to grab another plank. "Grab the other one and we can put it across here and secure it."

"So, Sedona, right? You have a talent for ranchwork, or is this just something you do to get by here?" The cowgirl chuckled at that. "I was born 'n raised a rancher. This kinda stuff is my life's work." She said with a hint of pride. "I grew up on a ranch and raised horses and cattle. I was in charge of all kinds of work on the property along with my siblings." The woman smiled at Dalia, happy to share some of her personal history. "What about you? What kind of things brighten your day? What do you like to do?" She asked curious, moving to grab another plank of wood.

As they worked, Sedona didn't fail to notice the beautiful archery set that the brown furred woman carried. It made her think of her own set which was currently kept stowed away at her home. The cowgirl made a mental note to ask more about the weapon as they worked. It had been some time since she'd gone shooting, and the itch to do so only grew stronger at the sight of the bow lain gently in the grasses. "Y'know, y'can put that up against the barn so it won't get stepped on or lost, partner." She told the other woman with a smile. "It'd be better for the fletchings." She said with a nod then returned to work. It might be a surprise to the other female, but yes, Sedona did have some archery knowledge.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Westy

POSTED: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Dalia paused then laughed a bit nervously and said,"Oh sorry, I’m just used to the woods and it’s just an old habit." Dalia picked up her bow and put it up against the barn with her quiver, and as she walked over there was rustling and movement in the grass. Dalia’s ears perked up as she went to stand back up from her kneeling position and out of the grass came a red vixen. The vixen looked fully grown, but still fairly young, and it was shy as it had its ears lowered with its tail between its legs. The vixen briefly turned to Sedona for a moment before it scurried on over to Dalia’s side and nuzzled her.

Dalia turned and looked down at the vixen and smiled,"Aw Red, finally have the courage to come out and show me some love?" Dalia smiled down and picked up Red and nuzzled the small fox’s head before she turned back to Sedona and barked,"Oh right, sorry about that sweetheart. This is Red, my... well... interesting little girl, and she’s as shy as they come until she gets to know ya... and then she goes on to chasing your tail around while you’re running." As Red looked at Sedona she shrunk in Dalia’s grasp, and Dalia pet the cowering vixen to calm her down some.

Dalia then walked back up to Sedona and said,"Now where were we.... oh right!" Dalia took a moment to recall a few things before she opened her mouth to speak. "I grew up in a place really far north, and by far I mean REALLY far. I’m not gonna get into all of the details as to why, but the folks back home kind of.... dissowned me, and as a kid I was quite reckless with a bow. So I was a loner for quite a long while, and aside from that I’m just your average hunting gal! If you need someone to go out and kill something for ya then ask around! Usually I’m up in a tree or something."

Word count: 369

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Sin/Dragonman
Luperci Mate to Yvonne

POSTED: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:51 pm

OOC: We can go ahead and start wrapping this thread up. ^^ Go ahead and skip ahead to the fence being nearly completed in your next post. I figure the girls can go share a meal together after this or something. They'd have bonded working so long side by side. WC: 331

IC: Sedona grabbed another beam, hauling it up over her shoulder before nearly tripping over the red fox in the tall grasses. "Oops! Sorry there sweetheart!" She called after the vixen as she scurried back to her master. Smiling softly as she placed the wooden crossboard in place along the fence, the cowgirl watched Dalia interact with her companion a moment, listening to croon to her and then her speak about the red canid. The Hawkesond chuckled, nodding and wagged her tail in a friendly manner to Red before returning to work. Regardless of how much or how little the other woman pitched in, Sedona still had a job to do. She wasn't trying to seem dismissive, she just had a deadline.

When Dalia finally soothed Red from her initial surprise at nearly being trampled by the coydog, the huntress returned to Sedona's side and continued to help her with the fence. The two woman conversed about their homelands and pasts and interests and the cowgirl learned that the darker female was the pack's foremost hunter. That explained the bow and arrows. Her past had been a bit rocky, but, wasn't everyone's? The cowgirl wasn't one to judge. "If you need someone to go out and kill something for ya then ask around! Usually I’m up in a tree or something." Smiling at the other woman, Sedona assisted in securing a wooden beam into place. "I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'll be sure to look up if I'm searchin' for ya." She chuckled. "One of these days when I'm not up to my elbows in building projects, I'll have to go out shooting with ya. I'm a bit rusty, but it's somethin' I love doin' when I got free time." Sedona told her fellow mistwalker. It had been a while since she'd pulled out her bow. She just didn't seem to have the time or energy for archery anymore. Maybe having a new friend who enjoyed the sport would change that.

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Westy

POSTED: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Some time later...

Dalia and Sedona finally managed to get the last post into place, and by the end of it all Dalia was exhausted. "Whew! I’m not used to this," Dalia panted then flopped down where she was and Red scurried on up and barked before the small vulpine leaned into a playful pouncing position. Upon seeing this Dalia reached into her quiver and pulled out a small femur bone from a rabbit and threw it for Red to chase down, and immediately the excited fox darted into the brush to fetch it.

"Dang, whenever I’m beat she’s always up and running," Dalia exclaimed then she stood up and stretched her arms to the sides to loosen them up a bit and afterwards smiled and thought,"There you go gal."

Dalia then looked over at Sedona with a smile on her face and exclaimed,"Sedona, as a pup at one time I believe I was interested in doing something like this, but I don’t know how you do that or take care of all of those animals you’ve got there." Dalia picked up her bow and strapped both it and her quiver over her shoulder then paused as Red returned with the bone and proceeded to walk up to Dalia and just stare up with large puppy eyes. Dalia sighed as Red did this and said,"Red, why do you always give the the biggest guilt trips whenever you’re hungry?"

Word count: 257

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Sin/Dragonman
Luperci Mate to Yvonne

Dead Topics