Things that go bump
[html]

WC: 432

Conor's voice was soft and warm, but it lanced through Bris' consciousness like a knife. She'd thought she was the only soul awake in the house, and she'd never even heard him approach. Apparently the trance-like process of picking a book had lulled her a bit more toward sleep than she'd expected it to. Her hand stopped on the thick spine of an old dusty novel as she turned, her body relaxing completely in Conor's pressence. He was one soul Bris would never be unhappy to see. "And so are you, oh captain, my captain. I thought I was the only one strange enough to be up at this hour of the night. I supposed we can just be weird together." The white woman smiled warmly as she teased him, Hybrid's cruel eyes in her head fading a bit to be replaced with eyes of soft lavender.

Her words were an open invitation for the male to join her in the room, and she had no doubts that Conor would take them as such. Turning back to the bookshelf briefly, Bris pulled the book upon which her hand had stopped from its cozy little spot. The cover was faded in her hands, but the once-gilded letters of the title and author were still clearly legible: "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. Bris had no idea what a "count" was, but the title sounded engaging enough, at least for later tonight. The book she'd found earlier when Saluce had found her in the very same study had turned out to be a horror story, no doubt contributing tonight to the images that were haunting her dreams with increasing frequency.

Satisfied with her book choice, Bris closed it after skimming through its pages to make sure they were all intact, and tucked it against her chest as she turned her attention back to Dahlia's young leader and the woman's closest friend. "So what manner of monster has you awake tonight? I've heard you up a few nights again, but I've never heard you leave your room. Is anything we talked about helping at all?" Bris wasn't sure if Conor had tried any of the possible sleep-aids they'd spoken about awhile back, but she had no doubts that he wouldn't suffer through things if there were a way to help. Perhaps he hadn't exhausted his options yet, or perhaps they simply weren't helping. Either way, all jokes aside, Bris' mismatched eyes held a hint of concern over the exhaustion that seemed to hang around Conor whenever she took a second glance at him.

Table by Vero!

[/html]

Messages In This Thread