the space between
[html]
THE THINGS THAT I'VE LOVED
______THE THINGS THAT I'VE LOST

THE THINGS I'VE HELD SACRED
______________THAT I'VE DROPPED

_____ The blackouts, the white spaces, the sunspots in his memory were all there for one reason or another. Drink, drugs, self-protection. He had been living precariously for years and he knew the signs. His life was half erased for one reason or another and that was how it should have been. For over a year, he had drifted in and out of life like a dream. He remembered the ocean, and the girl with Africa in her blood dreading his hair. He remembered waking up in some town in Europe covered in blood. He remembered the heap, never the trigger, never what had been done only that something had changed. Why else could he suddenly do magic?
_____ Perhaps this ridiculous notion, unspoken, made his perception on reality change. Remarkably, the blonde began to laugh. He laughed boyishly, laughed without the cynical bite and the crow’s mockery he had carried for so long. He laughed the laugh of a towheaded young man going off to war, the laugh of a man who had discovered the greatest joy in the world. The truth had come, quietly, and it struck him like a battering ram. “Only when we lose everything are we free to do anything,” he said, smiling, as if this meant the world.
_____ Ahren de le Poer, whose existential crisis ended in a brilliant, blazing flash, extended his hand to the scarred man.

I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget

[/html]

Messages In This Thread