Don't read too much into it
[html]

OOC The the silliness commence! wc 1053

She worried a little bit when the broken counter began to creak under Malachi's weight. The thing was already damaged so her fear wasn't for the table itself, that could be rebuilt, rather it was concern for Malachi herself that made Orin bite her lip in apprehension. If the counter gave under the bear's weight she might fall and get hurt by the splintered wood. Or worse, she might have been totally embarrassed. Orin knew what Malachi was even if the grizzly thought of herself as a Luperci, and did not blame her for her weight one bit. But Malachi, on the other hand, had such a sweet and gentle disposition that Orin knew she would be humiliated if the counter gave beneath her. She was just about to figure out a sneaky way of getting Malachi to move without alerting her to her vein of thought when the bear backed up on her own. The Takekuro woman smiled reassuringly at her new friend. “Don't apologize. And you're welcome to all you want until we find the end of the bottle,” she grinned as she snagged the wine bottle and filled Malachi's glass to the rim. “It does smell pretty good. Has a bit of a bite to the nose, I think, but it's certainly different. It's wine... My neighbor called it something else... vintage, and some year, I don't know. I don't know anything about wine.” She tittered.

“Except it is pretty good.” She pushed Malachi's glass closer to her and took another gulp of her own. “Hurry up,” she joked. “You're already behind.”

There was one last short thought about fire making, to which Orin added simply, “Well, maybe we can find the materials in one of the shops here in Thornbury. Or someone might let you borrow them.” But their conversation quickly moved to the topic of Malachi's native language. The two womens excitement percolated and stamped out the last talk of fire crafting.

Orin watched as Malachi sagged, her countenance taking on a disappointed sadness. She cocked an eyebrow and her own expression unintentionally mimicked Malachi's, her face drooping with a sadness to match that in the brown face. She took another sip of her wine and thought a moment. What was this poor creature so sad about? It seemed to happen suddenly, and it was becoming clear that it had something to do with mention of her family. Orin knew what it was like to feel sad over family, for she had lost both of her parents at a young age. But still, she did not know exactly what it was that bothered Malachi, and so continued to speculate.

“Languages are pretty amazing, if you think about it,” she mused casually. “I mean, how did we invent language? Someone just started making noises and eventually everyone else caught on. And then writing, that's a whole new monster in itself. I can understand old hieroglyphics that look like pictures to mean something, but one day someone drew the first T and decided it went tuh!”

She was silent for just a second before erupting in a bout of silly laughter. She always thought about things like this but rarely voiced those thoughts out loud. They sounded so... funny when she said it out loud. Well DUH! Of course that's how it happened. But it was still an incredible thought! Okay, the wine was already getting to her head. She calmed her giggles with another sip and then turned back to Malachi, nodding emphatically.

“Yes, I want to! I don't know any other languages, and it would be fun to know something not many other people did,” she grinned and winked. “If there was someone we didn't like, we could talk about them right in front of them and they wouldn't know. No! That's mean. Oh it'd be so fun.” She giggled again, but at least not as noisily as the first time.

Her eyes dropped to the emptied glass and she mourned the end of her first drink of wine. Well, there was still more in the bottle, at least, but she would wait for Malachi to catch up to her. The last thing she wanted to do was be a glutton and take it all for herself when she had a guest over! She turned back to Malachi and looked at the bear intently. “You got fuzzier,” she stated in a very matter of fact tone, and blinked a couple times. A new grin was on her face now.

Despite the silliness that was quickly setting into Orin's mood, she was very serious about learning Malachi's native tongue, and when the bear began to teach her she respectfully paid attention. Sure, she continued to smile and giggle occasionally, but never was she rude nor did she laugh at Malachi. She carefully watched the way the bear's muzzle moved to form the words. Whatever she just said, Orin wouldn't have had a chance if she tried to spell it. But she followed the word closely.

“Eptchy-lassy,” she attempted, then scrunched her face up and flinched as though a bug just flew into her face. “That wasn't right, was it? Eptchee...” The wine had stolen her grace, and a little spray of spittle bounces from her maw as she tried the word again. She gasped and her hand flew up to her mouth, and she began giggling again. “Oh my god, I'm sorry! See, I told you I do it too.”

She took a breath and tried again, this time managing to control her saliva output. ”Ep-chee-laaah-si.” She blinked at Malachi, awaiting her opinion. “That is perfect, now I can greet everyone at my door! I've got to write this down before I forget.” She made quick (although fairly ungraceful) work of slipping off of the counter and grabbing a pen and a piece of paper. She had no idea how to spell the words so she did her best trying to write them down as she remembered them pronounced.

“Okay, so I know 'friend,' and 'welcome,'” she listed them off as she wrote them down. “What about... I have to know this one... What about book? Or, what's your favorite word?”

<style>
.orinlizard-text {padding:0px 7px;}
.orinlizard {padding:5px 0px; text-indent:25px; margin:0px;}
.orinlizard b {color:#e9b656; font-weight:bold;}
.orinlizard {width:400px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#ad9500; background-image:url(http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5581/souls68.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:250px 0px 0px 0px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#5e3e4b; word-spacing:.2px; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.1px; text-align:justify; border:1px solid #000000;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread