Mercantile Miscreance
"Ah, Nettle, do you hear that? You're a horse today!" He took the boy's hand without explanation, flashing the grin which had convinced hundreds before that they had not been swindled, though the boy would get what we wanted and--in the end--how could one be swindled if they got what they wanted out of the transaction? Some would argue that there was a line between a fair deal and a scam, but Sedge knew that that fact--as well as all others--was negotiable.

The coyote merchant positioned the heavy wheel on top of his least fragile goods, heedless of the additional weight supported by the young wolf's frame. Amazing, what these brutes could lift...best to put it to use for optimal traveling speed. Bright and cheery, Sedge took Nettle's reins and led the beast as the boy directed, for the ten minute trip to the garage (their journey was somewhat longer, carrying the heavy wooden cart was a burden even for a spry young wolf lad). There he stretched, driving his hands into the small of his back until he heard a satisfying pop, and sighed with relief as the wolf put his side of the wagon down as gently as a tired young adult could after grueling minutes of carrying the load. The coyote winked in friendly manner and lifted the seeds and snails out of the cart, separating them from the rest of loot and stashing them in his coat, counting carefully just which snails he would part with before snapping his jaws shut and shaking his head sagely. Best to let the boy pick, lest he feel less generous of his handiwork. Instead, Sedge turned his gaze to the jar of poppy seeds and began to measure out exactly how much half the jaw really was with his eyes. If he tilted it just so...yes, he could part with only three-sevenths and call it half. After all, once it was out, there would be no direct measure. Yes, he would keep this tilted for a time. Nodding happily, he spread his arms at the cart and stood back.

"I look forward to a display of your skill, Master Barret. Carpenters of my land guard their secrets jealously. If it is your wish, I can turn away, but it would have been one of the very first times to observe for me." He tilted his head as he smiled, cajoling the young wolf to let him watch as the silver and gold jangled ever so slightly around his neck. Best to ensure that the new axle wasn't rigged to break...he had come from many lands as far as he was concerned, and few of them had carpenters who hid their trade. He trusted his discerning eyes to note any sort of deception, in case there was some sort of tell he had missed.

Messages In This Thread