Shadows of the Past
[html]

Barrett grinned despite himself. Not many wolves seemed to understand his humour—that deadpan sarcasm, that subtle cynicism—and it was always refreshing to find someone who appreciated his lame jokes. It was unexpected from the steely foreigner, but no less welcome. What could he say? He liked making a girl laugh. It raised his spirits and fostered a stronger sense of kinship. Still, he wasn't sure he could delve into the specifics of his troubles. How could he explain to her that he'd been an accessory to adultery? It would be wrong to call him a sexist wolf, but he doubted a female would empathise with his case.

And yet, if she was trying to make a connection, he wouldn't turn her away. “I did something I shouldn't have,” he replied at length, deliberately vague. Even now he sounded unconvinced—the distinction between right and wrong was so arbitrary. The severity of any given sin was relative. If he knew she killed for sport, he'd find that much more objectionable than his recent transgressions. At the time he was ignorant of the Eques' betrothal, and as far as he was concerned, the woman had come onto him. What was he going to do—say no? Barrett was as hot blooded and hormonal as the next male adolescent.

Even the jindo hybrid's light, platonic touches earlier were enough to elicit some sort of arousal in the primitive, animalistic side of his brain. But apart from an automatic change in pheromones and an unconscious flexing of his muscles (simply to show off the goods—there was no tension here), he did not act on these instincts. TK didn't seem like the type to appreciate such advances, and thinking with the wrong head had gotten him into enough trouble lately. Besides, they were friends. “I don't think I'll get in trouble for it, though,” he added. “I have my own place in this city, so I'm just laying low here for a bit.” Strangely, he was both reckless and cautious all at once.

“You're not stayin' anywhere in particular then, eh?” he wondered aloud. Barrett was a sucker for a familiar face, especially in these lands where individuals drifted in and out like the tide. Maybe if he knew where to look for her in the future, he wouldn't have to leave their encounters up to fate or coincidence.

Pppt. Your writing is too pretty to be considered rambling <3 And... Did it come yet? T_T
<style type="text/css">
.barrett-snail2 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-family:verdana,sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.barrett-snail2 p {text-indent:30px; padding:0px 0px; margin:0px;}
.barrett-snail2 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#; background-image:url(http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... ail2ct.png),url(http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... ail2cb.png); background-position:top center, bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat, no-repeat; border:none; padding: 65px 0px 15px 0px; font-family: 'palatino linotype',palatino,serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-align:justify;}
.barrett-snail2-inner {width:370px; border:none; margin:0 auto 0px auto;}
.barrett-snail2-wc {text-indent:100px; font-weight:bold; line-height:10px;font-size:10px;font-family:'lucida console',sans-serf;text-align:left;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread