You have to learn to face it all
[html]
[/html]YUP Big Grin (WC: 544)[html]
[/html]Claudius was genuinely surprised to hear that Dawali knew how to weave. Somehow, he had never learned this even though he had lived in AniWaya for his entire life. It seemed as though there were just things one learned about others and things one did not. And if you were Claudius, you learned a lot less about other folks because you never interacted with them. This thought saddened him, since when he was younger, he more or less considered Dawali to be his father, so he would have thought they’d be a lot closer. Perhaps the only thing that had really kept them close was Tayui, and now that they were gone, it took that much more effort to keep in touch. He felt a pang of sadness, but tried not to let it show. Instead, he smiled and nodded in response, if a little belatedly, when Dawali mentioned dyeing some of the blankets he wove. He nodded again, this time with more enthusiasm to show that he was actually interested in doing something like that. He stayed quiet, since he didn’t exactly know how to voice his thoughts quite yet and decided to mention it later on to Dawali. He began organizing his words in his head and preparing himself to mention this later so that he could say it properly, without a stutter, and clearly enough so that the Kalona would understand what he was saying.

He was not, however, prepared for when Dawali’s expression grew direly grave and his voice lowered ever so slightly. Claudius shivered, more out of reflex than need. He read once that humans got goosebumps when they were scared and shivered, but it didn’t really apply to wolves, so he only did it because he knew why. So the movement turned into a weird jerking motion as he tried to stop walking and sit down all at once. He plopped to the ground beside the Kalona and pulled his knees up to his chest. He wrapped his arms around his knees, rested his chin on top, and looked over at Dawali with a distinct worried frown on his face.

“Oh,” he mumbled quietly. So if he had not hurt Dawali’s feelings and he had not done anything wrong, why did he feel so horrible? He avoided Dawali’s searching eyes and instead stared down at the fur on his knees.

“I–” he began, but stopped. There were so many things he was doing wrong, so why couldn’t Dawali see all of them? “I d-don’t ha-ave any-wh-where f-f-f-or y-you to s-sit. It’s-s e-e-embar-a-a-ss-i-ing,” he murmured. He could already feel his eyes growing wet. “A-a-and I… d-do-on’t kno-ow any-o-one a-and I don’t kn-o-o-ow Ch-Ch-e-e-er-o-kee… or th-that y-y-you w-w-were a-a-a we-ea-eav-e-er.” He felt so stupid. He didn’t want to say it, so he just stopped there. If he actually went out and said it, it would just make it that much worse. Dawali probably already knew there was something horribly wrong with him, so he didn’t want to actually go out and say it: he didn’t really understand how to be friends with anyone, learn about them, or actually talk to them. Everyone was too scary and it was just much safer alone, even if he was lonely and hungry. [html]
[/html]

Messages In This Thread