and at once i knew i was not magnificent
The air around Rebekah was thick with bittersweet emotions; the happiness of the reunion with her brother was plagued by the unhappy news that had brought her so far from home. Ezra’s eyes shone with brilliant excitement, and it crushed Rebekah to know how much the pain of her news would kill him. So she feigned happiness. She leaned into him and tried to hide the sadness that had undoubtedly seeped into her light eyes.
“It’s me,” she said softly, pulling away from the nuzzle. She stared at her brother for a few moments. He was bigger than she remembered, yes, but the largest difference wasn’t in his stature. He looked older, worn out, sad. The glint in his eyes showed her that he was happy now, but hiding behind that glint was something more. Rebekah could see the toll that Ezra’s years away from home had taken.
She cringed when she saw his scares; evident remnants of deep wounds. They tore through his silky black coat and criss-crossed along his body. He didn’t say anything as she circled him, taking in every inch of the new body that how housed her older brother. He was so different from when she had seen him last, and yet he was just the same.
He looked at her questioningly, and immediately Rebekah knew that Ezra could see her pain. She hesitated, looked up and stared into the eyes of her older brother. She took a deep breath.
“Ezra,” she said, “Mordechai is dead.”

Messages In This Thread