Hunting on strange lands
Rain smiled at her when she told him she would stay. He must have forgotten his manners and he looked down before answering her. "I know my act cent is theek but I am tryeeng to fix eet. My namb is Regen... um... Rain as you would say. I hope to get to know ou. I could use a friennd," he said softly, pulling the deer over to his sleeping roll. They had already gutted the deer and taken most of the good parts of it and he made quick work of the rest, skinning it easily. He stood again and picked up his sticks to dry the meat. Between the two sticks was a fine leather string that he hung strips of meat over a fire to keep other animals away from it. He then salted it and would store it for later. He would also collect the fat in the stomach of the animal after he had cleaned it out and use it later to start the fire and to cur the fur with, making it water proof and flexable.

"When I am dune with the curring the fur, would ou like some for a sleeping roll? Or something else?"he asked as he hung strips of meat up to dry over the fire. He made them thin and was able to put all the meat over the fire to keep bugs and animals from eating it. He gave a small piece to Anke and set to work taking off the skin and scraping off the blood vessels. It was a tedious job but he had to do it while the fur was still warm and not infected with blood. He would use the skull cavity for a bowl and a few of the other bones as forks and spoons. They had eaten the heart and lungs but the liver was intact and he would boil it and dry it into jerky for later long with the brains and a few other organs. The stomach would store fat and when the fat ran out he could use it as a water skin, puting some fur around it to keep it from leaking. It was something his Da had taught him and he knew he could use almost all the deer for something.

Messages In This Thread