I've Seen Fire (Laruku)
Seeing him broke her heart somehow. He observed and stated that she was back, and that so was her father. She looked at her feet quietly, then back up again. What was she supposed to do? She'd made him promises before, that she wouldn't leave again. She'd apologized before. Suddenly Melisande felt like a liar, but then, Hamlet didn't seem to care. He didn't seem to care that she was back, that she had lied, that her father had returned as well. "I know," she said simply. She decided not to apologize, to beg for forgiveness. Not this time. She looked him over. He wasn't the young, confused man she'd once known. He was a confused, scarred adult now, and it hurt her to see him so. Did he have any hints of playfullness left in him?

"I missed you," she said. And then she smiled, a caring, worrying smile that she couldn't help but give him. She had missed him, it was true. She missed Ceres, her father, and then him. Her real siblings hadn't been incredibly close to her, not closer than he was, anyhow. She felt like crying. All she wanted to do was make him happy again, even if it was just a little bit. But she didn't know how to do that, and was afraid that it might not be possible.

Messages In This Thread