[M] But break, my heart, for I must hold my tongue
[html]Word Count: 433

He'd startled her out of some deep thoughts, as she turned to him with surprise and suspicion. He merely raised his brows as she spoke, and then furrowed them, attempting to work through what had been said. She lived...out of her wagon, never really stopped traveling. He nodded thoughtfully, and then held up his hands, hoping to calm her suspicions--he wasn't the kind who would kill her in her sleep, but she seemed suddenly to think he was, so he tried to word his explanation in a way that would convey his own thoughts clearly. "I am..lonely, yes? Romani, with no vardos, no caravan. I have...long travel ahead. No, journey. Long journey," He amended, and then furrowed his brow. "You are...somewhat gypsy? We live out of wagons, trade many things." He ghosted over what, exactly, they traded, as he himself was used to horses and little else, except perhaps fine furs and fine drink. He'd never delved into the slave trade, never stolen babies shortly after birth, as some of his caravan did; he was, as they said, 'clean', though he was alright with such things, and he'd paid the price for the darker trades, anyway.

Back to the point, he continued, somewhat more earnestly, "There is being kinship among Romani. It is always so. I am thinking to myself, you are being gypsy woman, no caravan, and I am also being with no caravan." He paused, hoping to let that sink in and feeling somewhat embarrassed now that he'd made a fool of himself, and then shrugged uncomfortably before moving to gather his things. "I am seeing now that it is not so. Foolish, wishful thinking, yes? No gypsy here." And he huffed out a long breath of air as he hefted his bags onto his back, suddenly closed off. He'd warmed up too quickly, it seemed, as she'd been in need--not really--and he'd come to her aid, and of course that would have made him fast friends back in Russia, back on the roads he was familiar with. It had made him fast friends. But he was somewhere new, somewhere different, and he felt more alone now than ever, realizing that not even the customs here were the same.

"I am leaving you alone now. Bahtalo drom--ah." He caught himself, and then scratched his head, frowning. "Lucky road, yes?" Drakien wanted to beat a hasty retreat, before he made even more of a fool of himself, but manners made him wait a moment to make sure she'd recieved the blessing before he fled.[/html]

Messages In This Thread