the essence of communication
[html]
Invdegesv

Just to make sure I reference things correctly: the birds have learnt a single word (safe) in high speech? Smile Do they merely understand it, or do they also speak it? Uli knows how to understand a very small handful of low speech communication sounds, I dunno if that's helpful at all.

Her excitement grew when she saw the creatures that were sitting on the female's arm. They seemed much calmer than Ulilohi would have expected them to be -- almost like the carrier pigeon. For some reason, she had thought they would be more wild still, but it could very well be that they simply calmed down quickly once captured. X'yrin had swiftly won the battle that Ulilohi imagined she had made, for the loyalty of the birds. It could not have been easy to conciliate the birds. Perhaps they were, like the rest of the world, more attuned to a comfortable life in peace. She felt the need to whisper them a promise, but did not. Don't worry, you'll soar across the sky again soon..

Her head bobbed in very interested nods as the female spoke, and she watched with deep fascination at the communication that followed. What wonders the woman made! She repeated the word with her, and the birds' response was unmistakeable. "Marvelous!" She reached out with one hand, hesitant, to try and stroke one. "I would very much like to learn how to train the birds, if you would help me, X'yrin," she gave a slight bow of her head, very much in awe of the female's skill. "If I could handle this task, our pigeon communication might even expand across the whole south." How safe that thought made her feel. To be able to communicate with other leaders swiftly could mean safety in both reacting to an outside common enemy, and also to avert percieved crisis. If she were to maintain a friendship with them, she would either have to travel a lot -- or simply keep a lot of pigeons. The latter seemed like a better system.

WC: #288
<style type="text/css">
#marit { padding:35px; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... herbg2.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: center; }
#marit p { padding-left:0px; text-indent:0px; margin-left:0px; text-align:justify; line-height:1.4em;}
#marit b, #marit i { font-family: cambria, serif; font-size: 1.3em; }
#marit .count { text-align:right; float:right; font-family: cambria, serif; }
#marit .separator { font-family: 'Bookman Old Style', serif; font-size: 2em; display: block; font-style: italic; margin: 20px 0 20px 0; border-top:1px solid; border-bottom: 1px solid; padding: 10px 0 10px 0; text-align: right; }</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread