What Lies Beneath
[html]
(484) God, I don't think Rob can be any more awkward.

He had totally forgotten about the hunting proposition since Eclipse's sudden outburst, and with his luck, probably will only remember it at the last moment, when it was too late to change his mind when he realized that it could only end poorly on his side. At that moment, though, it did not matter. She was now sniffling, and it made Robert feel even worse.

Her words lashed at him, and he could only hide his sad frown under a cold, indifferent mask. But, his frost-like eyes could not lie; though he was not hurt, she could probably tell that he took what she had said to heart. No, he did not have meaningful items to lose like she had. In fact, the books he held close to him were things he could live without if it came down to it... He was still able to empathized with her, though. He did not misplace a pot, or a coin, though. He had lost a brother before, and the familiar pain stung him.

His hand remained on her shoulder as she turned further away from him to rub her face, especially her eyes, and felt the ragged gulps of air that she breathed in. He was silent as he allowed her to speak without a comment, until she stated the finality of the house they stood in. He was quiet for a moment longer, though he did not once look away from the other's sad, blue gaze.

But, when he started speaking, his eyes fluttered to the floorboards. "I don't think you are being childish," he started slowly, picking his words carefully. "I understand how you feel... And its perfectly fine. I know how it feels to having something missing, knowing that you cannot find it, no matter how hard you look." For a moment, his frosty gaze melted, but it soon hardened once more. It was often to explain without more words. "I am glad you like this house, though..." He thought about offering his help to restock without implying that what she once had was replaceable, but decided against it.

Realizing that his hand was still on her shoulder, he quickly withdrew it, and stared even harder at the floor. "If you want, you can take it off now. But, keep it, as a gift in case you need it again," he stated as he motioned to his waistcoat, his voice once more its usual seriousness like it was when they were in the woods. He picked up his lantern, and started to lean towards the exit. "If you need any further assistance with your house, you know where I live."

He took a step towards the door, but paused, and looked back at Eclipse. For a second, he seemed unsure. "...Do you need any help now?" he asked, as if reluctant to suddenly leave for once and wanted a reason to stay.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread