Not Goodbye, But See You Later.
Before Honrin had even had his chance to reply to what Temo had said, Jace's voice snapped at both of their attention. Prickles of concern ran down his spine causing the fur to stiffen and bristle. It was even more disconcerting to see how quickly his father reacted, there was no confusion, no hesitation, just swift action. He followed his father after a moment's pause and a sense of impending upset mounted inside of him. And then he saw his mother as he had never seen her before. As a frail and vulnerable creature, defeated by the lump in her stomach that drained her strength and vitality. Since his birth he had never seen his mother appear so broken and small, she had never looked weak before to him. What he saw shattered the infallible illusion he had of her and for a small moment he hated the tiny lives that she harbored within her, he hated them fiercely for they had destroyed the mask he had held in front of his mother's flaws, his rose tinted view.

But then the moment passed and he saw not a warrior brought to her knees but simply a woman struggling to bring new lives into the world. There was no weakness for him to see in her bowed posture and unsure gaze, only self sacrifice and endless love. She had given of herself, her daily life and her very soul to protect and care for the impossibly small creatures. The fear in his father's eyes though and in his voice pierced him to the heart and he realised that so many things could go wrong in pregnancy and birthing. While she was like this Jace hung on to her life by a fragile thread that was so very easily snapped.

Before the arctic woman the pure snow boy dropped himself to his knees and recited in their ancient language older than the wolves had held the luperci virus in their veins,

'Mother I am here now. I will protect you with my claws and teeth and with my bow and arrows. No harm will come to you.' It was a groundless promise for he could never protect her from the maladies of her own flesh and bone.

Messages In This Thread