birds of a feather
[html]

He watched her attempts, slightly amused. She was too little to gain the momentum needed to push the sand away, to keep it from falling back in. At her words he shook his head slowly, leaning forward to be on eye-level with her. 'Oh, no, it's not that at all.' He had never associated gender with ability. Hell, his sister was a dynamo and she was a young thing herself. 'The sand is very quick though-- you'll not get anywhere unless you push away all the extra stuff, first,' the coyote explained, demonstrating by clearing away the extra sand to reveal a mostly flat layer. 'It gets more compact if you get deeper, and that's the easy stuff to dig at.' Loose sand was still falling into his small, quickly forming hole, and he huffed and pushed it back away. Sand holes took forever to make. 'See, it's not like dirt- so it's very difficult to make a big hole in.' He realised he was rambling again.

Shutting up, he looked back to the child, to hear her speak again. A monster through her into the fires? 'That doesn't sound good,' he replied, and held up his own arm. 'I wasn't thrown into a fire, per se... but you and me are alike.' Giggle carefully unwrapped his cloth, revealing the patchy, furrless skin. 'See? I'm missing fur on my arm.' After a moment he rewrapped it; the cold air was none too pleasant against the bare skin. The corners of his mouth lifted slightly, not a smile but close enough. It dropped when she started to giggle, but he didn't comment, not going to harass a child for laughing at something as silly as his name, especially when the name itself commanded one giggle at it.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread