the mystery which binds me still
[html]

Something began to ring, however faintly, in his skull. A quiet resonance balanced between them but it felt out of sorts. Careful, the bell whispered, though the voice was not familiar. Had it been the Other, he might have understood the warning better. Both of his eyes remained focused on his companion’s, and he saw something equally precarious in them. Bane was not only peculiar; he was dangerous.
     The question did not change his outward appearance much; but he smiled in a way that did not meet his eyes. “My soul finds rest in God alone: My salvation comes from Him.” How long since he had spoken that aloud? Long enough he could taste the fire and the ash in his throat. The charms around his neck betrayed him (two his own, one his father’s), but his eyes did not waver, nor did he think to speak this point aloud. Instead, his voice changed subtly, became formidable. “‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

[/html]

Messages In This Thread